Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Other than square inches what limitations are you running into? I have a Weber kettle with a slow n sear and I've turned out some amazing bbq for way less money than some other setups. I'm considering adding a billows to make it fool proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
To me, meathead's Memphis dust is defined by the crushed rosemary. Absolutely love it, adds a tangy note to the finished product that I couldn't place if I didn't know it was in the mix.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Heretic opinion? I do my 7-8 lbs half butts at 275-300, takes about 8 hours to get to 200. Ain't nobody got time for 18 hour smokes.

Just did a 9 lb brisket at 275 this past weekend and got it on the grate at 6am and pulled it off at 6 pm :discourse:

Hot (relatively) and fast can work great.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
So is there any reason why blasting a butt or brisket at 300+ through the stall and then dialing back the temp to 200 wouldn't be optimal? Seems like it would let you keep the meat in the collagen melting zone for longer while shortening the cook time.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Canuckistan posted:

Anyone know how long a sealed packer will last? I bought one two weeks ago and it doesn't have a best-before date on it. I called the butcher and they said they're still using the same shipment, so I presume it's still good.

I'll crack it open tomorrow and see if it's really funky, which is tricky because vac sealed meat is usually funky when you open it up.

It's a legitimate method to buy a sealed vacuum packer and let it "wet age" for 3 to 4 weeks.

I've done it with no ill effect, and the brisket turned out wonderfully tender.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

pork butts pork Butts Pork Butts PORK BUTTS PORK BUTTS

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Counter: you really don't need a cover for a classic kettle, just close the vents every time. Mine has been in the weather for 6 years now with zero sign of rust, at worst the plastic handles are fading. I think the enamel paint is better than it used to be (I have the copper color which looks fancy)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'm pretty frustrated with my Thermoworks Billows. I'm on unit #2, and it just died mid smoke. Not being recognized by my signals. Admittedly I do leave it outside connected to my grill, but it's advertised as being weatherproof.

Hopefully their customer service comes through again, but I'll be very annoyed if I have to pay for a replacement. When it works it's great, and it's indispensable for fire and forget cooking.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If you have the means I highly recommend running two air probes in your smoker simultaneously at two locations. A 2" difference in vertical location was 30 degrees apart in my kettle.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I put my brisket on at 6am at 300, let it rip till 6pm, rest for half an hour and serve. Is it Franklin level? No. Did I have to worry about it the night before? No. Is it still better than any local BBQ joint? Hells yeah.

Hot and fast works great for brisket.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Did some ribs yesterday after getting my replacement Billows back from Thermoworks. They took care of me again, but this time I had to send them the broken unit (they paid postage).

My problem was actually with my ribs. St Louis cut, they went for 6.5 hours at 225, unwrapped, and were starting to dry out and pull away from the bones but didn't pass the bend test yet. Ornery hog? I think I'm pretty done with unwrapped ribs, wrapping seems to cook them much more consistently.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
My biggest complaint about my setup (billows plus Weber kettle) is that it's really easy for ash or grease to fall into the billows. Could be the reason I've killed two of them (not that thermoworks blamed me for the failures). Tempted to try welding up a little hood for the inlet hole.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I do have the SnS plus the billows. Because I'm lazy. And like charts.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Brrrisssskettttt

Was a 12lb Costco prime packer, trimmed about 4lbs of fat, slammed at 275 for 10 hours with no crutch. Perfection.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Ughhh if I could find a Weber 26 I think it would be ideal. My 22 with a the SnS is already easy mode, I just wish it had a bit more space.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Step drill bit and a silicone grommet. I drilled two holes in my kettle, one for the probe access hole and one for my Thermoworks Billows.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
It'll be fine, I routinely do my whole brisket at 300. Worst case though chop it up and mix it was sauce or beans.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I use the brown paper that comes in packages as padding.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Costco's return policy is so good there's basically no risk other than inconvenience.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Counterpoint, my billows worked like poo poo until I reread the instructions which said to keep all vents closed and let the fan add air as necessary.

I will add that if you're lazy like me and keep your air probe in the grill 24/7 check it for accuracy every few smokes. I think corrosion builds up on the jack end and throws off my temp reading by a few degrees.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

life is killing me posted:

I’m smoking some shoulder tomorrow and I’m gonna be a little more pure this time and use a Memphis rub and serve slaw to put on top. Wife and I both hate mayonnaise so I am gonna do a vinegar dressing for the slaw, though there’s something to be said for the sweetness of mayo-based dressing slaw when the flavor mixes with Memphis bbq sauce. I hate mayo slaw by itself but on a Memphis pulled pork sandwich it’s heaven. We will see how vinegar goes with it, but we are having guests over outside on our patio and like me, some of them are from TN.

Now to hope that the GF BBQ sauce she wants actually tastes good, she GF and I’m not soooooo that’s a little awkward

What bbq sauce has gluten in it anyway and why?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Wood is wood.

FWIW my Harris Teeter sells both Apple and Hickory chunks in store brand for pretty cheap. Saves me a trip to Home Depot (like I'm not already going there).

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Huh, where are you at? In northern virginia our brisket are still 4.99/lb

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Anyone ever smoke a store bought corned beef for some faux pastrami?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Weber kettle

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Brrrrrisketttt

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Thermoworks blog has a good guide to brisket, and a comparison of crutching methods. I wrapped mine in foil because I wanted it done in under 12 hours (clocked in at 11.5). Perfectly tender, hint of pot roast in the flat.

Personally I don't know if the value is there for brisket. But it's $4/lb for a prime packer at my Costco. The one I just cooked was 16lbs, but I trimmed off nearly 5lbs of hard fat. After cooking its weighs a ton less, would guess there was 6 servings there? Like yeah it's good but I don't know that it's $10 per person good.

Meanwhile a pork butt is 0.97/lb, is delicious, and has a ton more servings.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Should I reheat a ham on the smoker? Smokeception?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

mega dy posted:

Just get a Weber Kettle. When you get tired of the snake method running out of fuel, buy a Slow N Sear. You now have a grill that can do everything competently for a very modest price. It will teach you how to do stuff so that you can spend a ton more money later on if you want.

This is the way. I don't how a poster above is going through so much charcoal on a kettle, is the lid on??

The slow n sear is a must-buy accessory for kettle users. Makes it into a drat good smoker and is great for two zone cooking.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

crondaily posted:

Is it that much better than the "bro'n'sear" or using the baskets with a charcoal "bridge?" I'm using a water pan regardless to catch the drippings ATM.

Probably not $99 better, but yes it is an upgrade from the baskets

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yes it's a valid technique for brisket. I usually let mine sit for 21-28 days from the pack date.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Cook your booties faster people. I woke up late, had my coffee, got an 8.5lb butt on the smoker at 8:30am and let it rip at 300F. Hit 203F at 3:30pm, let it rest wrapped in foil until dinner at 6.

Was one of my best yet, great bark and just wubbled like a big jello.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I wet age my packer brisket for up to 3 weeks ahead of time, trim well and salt and pepper the night before.

Start at 6am, let her rip at 275 to 300. Done by 4pm, rest wrapped tight in a cooler. Eat at 6. Easy.

I trim pretty lean to get a uniform thickness but don't separate.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
It's always a bit nerve wracking. They just definitely smell a bit cheesy when you first open the package but it goes away quickly.

I really dislike the smell vacuum packed pork has when it's first opened (fresh, not aged).

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Not to cause an egg derail, but:
1) do not add salt to scrambled eggs until they're set
2) do add salt to a whole egg that's being fried.

The salt dentures the proteins and causes them to release water, which when scrambling can make them rubbery.

Source: McGee or Cooks Illustrated idk

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
You may be the gooniest of goons but those steaks look fabulous. Great work.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Brissssket

Ran at 250F overnight unwrapped, hit 200F internal at 10am this morning, wrapped in foil and held in a 150f oven all day until ready to slice this evening.

Pretty good, but seemed undersalted which I cannot believe because historically I over salt everything.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Doom Rooster posted:

I went from a house with two smokers, working in a restaurant as the prep chef running the smoked meat program with a smoker that could run 36 briskets at a time, to moving to a new city with almost no BBQ scene, living in an apartment with only two lovely built-in natgas grills that were always taken.

This has been my life for the last 18 months, but we just closed on a house, we’re in, and the new smoker gets here Thursday.

I. Cannot. loving. Wait. For this weekend.

Don't leave us hanging, what's your setup?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Dunno where you guys are, but here all beef is expensive. Chuck is $5/lb, brisket is $5/lb.

So I'm doing brisket:

I trimmed away all the intercostal fat between the point and flat to make the thickness as even as possible. Smoking overnight at 250F on maple. Salt and pepper rub. Tray of trimmings going in as well to render, will wrap with some of the tallow while it rests the tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Double post update!
Brisket turned out great, finished at 9am. Added about half a cup of the rendered fat to the foil packet when I wrapped it for resting. Rested in the oven all day, maintaining an internal temp of 160. Crust was still great, needed a serrated knife.

Pic is at dinner time: