Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A barbeque place near me makes chimichangas out of smoked brisket, they're great to chow down on. You might give this a try with your brisket.

Chili is the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If I am brining my pork, I cut the salt down to 1 part, otherwise this is what I use:

6 parts Brown Sugar
6 Parts Salt
3 Parts Spanish Style Paprika
2 parts black pepper
2 parts chili powder
1 part granulated garlic
1 part dry mustard
1 part onion powder
1 part cumin
1 part powdered thyme
1 part cayenne pepper

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

CapnBry posted:

I know it might be sacrilege here but a friend in the restaurant industry recently turned me on to shortcutting ribs. Apply the dry rub then foil them and put them in a 300F oven for an hour and a half then remove the foil and take them to the grill. Smoke them at 250F for about 1-2 hours until they are done

As I understood it, you should really do this the other way around, as once the meat is over about 140f, it stops absorbing smoke flavor.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bob Mundon posted:

Settled on a Weber Smokey Mountain for a purchase, but was wondering about which size to select. We don't entertain often, but possibly will have around 10 people for Thanksgiving, and was wondering if the 18.5" model is big enough to handle a turkey around 18lbs or so. Seems like the size would, but I can't say I've measured myself, so not sure.

That would be about the only application where the size would be cutting it close for us, so if that's good then I think the 18.5 should be fine.

If you want to ever do whole racks of ribs, the 18.5 is not for you. I have the 22, and full racks of baby backs barely fit.

I absolutely recommend you get the 22, as there are a ton of things that are made easier by it. Once a year, I cook for coworkers, and with the 22 I can get 2 briskets on one level, and 3 pork shoulders on the other. with the 18.5, I would only be able to get a single brisket on one level, and hopefully squeeze two shoulders on the other.

You are going to get BBQ out of your WSM good enough that you will want to start sharing, a lot. Get the space now.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I have the 22.5, and never have any issues with running out of fuel with the minion method. That being said, unless you have an absolutely massive chimney, I put in way more charcoal than 2 loads. I generally pour up to just over the top of the ring itself, and then toss a full hot chimney on top of that to get it going.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Trust me guys; I like fixing stuff but I know when to just let things go.

It was in the dumpster within 30 minutes

You should have kept it, so when you bought a new one, anytime it wasn't holding the temp you want, you could drunkenly yell at it about what happened to the LAST BGE that didn't do what it was supposed to.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bunnielab posted:

So I lit my WSM at 6pm yesterday and just 20m ago it was still reading 200f and was just finally dying out. I was able to get the temp to move around pretty well using the vents and by my best guess the water lasted until after 2am last night.

If the rain stops I am going to do a half chicken tomorrow as I cannot wait for my new thermometer to arrive.

I am going to use the Basic BBQ Chicken recipe from Virtual Bullet. I am going to buy a rub at the store as I dont have 1/4c of decent paprika and if I am going to buy grocery store stuff I might as well just buy a rub. Does anyone have a particular brand to recommend?

If you like a little spice, and can find it, the Salt Lick BBQ rub is really, really good. The weird thing is that it is really strong, and tastes nothing like the BBQ at the restaurant, so they clearly do not actually use it themselves.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I have a WSM 22" that I love dearly, but I am thinking about getting a MES as well. There are times when I love getting up really early, tending the smoker (read: drinking beer with friends) all day, and having some awesome BBQ at night, but there is something very appealing about just being able to put a shoulder/brisket in before I go to bed, and having BBQ ready for lunch the next day. Basically I would just like having homemade BBQ not be a "big thing" every time I want some.

I also imagine that the electricity to run the thing for 18 hours would be a good bit less money than what I am spending on charcoal for the WSM. Anyone else here that has both types that can weigh in on their experiences? Anyone with any advice on what to keep in mind for buying/using a new electric?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Why not just get a heatermeter or something equivalent for your WSM if you want something set it an forget it?

I had a BBQ Guru that worked great (until I left it out in the rain one night, and it would never come back on). I liked it, and it accomplished most of what I wanted, but was still dealing with getting charcoal lit, water bowl cleaned out/refilled, refueling on long cooks when it was cold outside, etc... It made the process easier, without a doubt, and I will still absolutely use my WSM but there are times when I would love to just S&P a brisket and toss it in there with a lit AMNPS and forget about it until time to take it off.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

PhotoKirk posted:

So, uh, there's going to be a pilot for a new BBQ show on Discovery Channel.

Wednesday, 10EST/9PST.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/king-of-the-grill

Kirk, what have you done?!

Honestly, seems a little dumb, but probably more entertaining to me than any of the other shows like it (OCC, American Guns, Pawn Stars, etc...) Just make sure to look pretty for the camera.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am burying a whole pig tonight, and have done a lot of reading up on it, and watching videos, but I wanted to see if I could get some Goon Wisdom as well before I start.

The plan for the 65lb pig:

Hose off/dry pig
Drink beer
Thoroughly salt/rub the entire outside of the pig
Inject flavorful liquid
Wrap in parchment paper
Drink beer
Wrap in washed/soaked burlap
wrap in chicken wire
Dig hole 6x4x2 (This will be done way beforehand)
Drink beer
2.5 hours of building fire, adding wood, burning down to coals (Using oak firewood)
Lay 40lbs of charcoal on top of coals and let catch (Is this necessary if I have a large enough bed of coals already? My buddy said that he did this and it turned out great, but I am guessing it doesn't really do anything)
Drink beer
Drink beer
Drink beer
Spread coals evenly
Set down 8 cinder blocks to rest the pig on
Place pig skin side down
Quickly fill hole back up with dirt
Drink whiskey
Drink whiskey
Dig pig back up after 12 hours
Determine if pig needs to rest/cool
Drink beer
Pull with silicone gloves
Drink beer

Is there anything that I am missing? Any tips from Goons who have done this before? Thanks very much.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Well, the whole pig roast was a learning experience. Which is to say, a complete, abject failure that yielded no edible meat, a pretty horrible smell and a 70lb bio hazard to dispose of.

We could tell as soon as we peeled back the burlap(with about 15 people watching in anticipation. Joy.) that it was not supposed to smell like that. When we got the parchment off, poking at the meat yielded a completely rubbery texture.

We apparently did not have even close to enough coals. Also, it was pretty obvious by the way the manager's voice sounded when I called the day before to confirm pickup time, that the place I ordered it from had not actually ordered it, and he called me back an hour later after "confirming with the distributor that the delivery was still on schedule". When we picked it up, it was deep frozen, solid as a rock. I put it in a cooler, with a running warm water hose in the cavity for about 4 hours, and it was then pliable. When using the injector though, I could feel that the meat was still partially frozen. We were about to be overdue for putting it on the fire already, and we thought that we had plenty of coals after 2 hours of burning, so we put it on anyway.

We were wrong. I managed to stomach the smell long enough to temp the pig out of morbid curiousity, which turned out to be at a balmy 118f.

Lessons for next time:

1) Bigger fire, longer, for more coals
2) Find a better butcher, or call them 2-3 days in advance as well to confirm, so it has a chance to thaw out
3) Shovel some coals on top of the pig before burying it

Silver Linings:

1) It was actually a blast hanging out with 4 friends, digging a big hole, prepping a pig, and drinking beer. A badass neighbor taking his horses out saw what we were doing, thought it was awesome, so decided to chill out, then brought out his chainsaw and helped us cut up a big dead pecan tree for firewood.
2) We found a pretty solid BBQ place only 2 miles from the house that got us enough meat to serve 20 people in under 30 minutes.
3) My company was footing the entire bill anyway, so I wasn't actually out the $300 for the ruined pig.

Even though the result was a disaster, the process was so much fun, we already started planning the next one. Can't get any worse that this one, and we learned a lot, so we have high hopes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, we are definitely going to try again. The process was a hell of a lot of fun, and ours should be a pretty easy problem to fix. We are out in Austin, so we hit rock/clay after about a foot, so had to spend about 90 minutes with two pickaxes to get the hole dug. Now that we have done that, future attempts should also be way easier.

Alternatively, the guy who owns the place we did it at just moved here from California, bought land, makes a hefty amount of money, and is in the market for a badass smoker, so maybe we could convince PhotoKirk to haul a big Gator Pit out here and do a pig demo for us...

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ron Jeremy posted:

I bought a quarter cow recently. It's sitting in my freezer mooing at me. I smoked the tri-tip first, and although the smoker worked great, my rub was crap. Oh well, I've got plenty more where that came from.

I think I'm going to smoke the brisket next. Anyone want to throw a rub or marinade at me?

Echoing the Salt and Pepper only. I used to do big rubs, with lots of different stuff in it, but it wasn't ever as good as I wanted it to be. One day, I saw a story on Franklin's, which is consistently ranked as some of the top brisket in the world (Best I have ever had personally, and I live in Austin). I started just using S&P, and it is sooooo much better.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

The end with a noticeable fat cap and point is the one I'm thawing since yesterday now. My plan is to salt it (coarse flake salt, sounds good?) and add my own homemade rub, wrap in foil and then around 5-6AM this Saturday I will throw it on the smoker and it should be ready for dinnertime I hope.

Definitely try different briskets different ways to see what you like, but FWIW, after watching a special on Franklin's, seeing him just use salt and pepper, and doing the same myself after, I have never gone back. Salt and pepper only is superior in my opinion. Just a deeper beefy, smokey flavor without other things muddying it up.

coronaball posted:

Make your life easier and go to Home Depot to get some chunks. A bag of hickory, a bag of cherry, and a bag of apple and you'll be able to smoke just about anything properly.

If you aren't using at least 50% mesquite for every beef cut you smoke, you are doing it wrong. :colbert:

Oak is acceptable instead if you cannot find mesquite for some reason.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone have any experience with probe thermometer units that have a wireless receiver that you can take into the house? A buddy of mine is looking for one for his Bradly Electric, so a temp controller is not necessary, just the probe itself. Bonus points if you know of any that can be monitored via smart phone.

The one that he is looking at so far is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-7...ometer+wireless

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am not sure that I have ever eaten a turkey that was not "enhanced" already. The only turkey at my local grocery store that didn't say it had been injected already was $6 per pound, as opposed to Butterball and store brand. I brine my "enhanced" turkey every year with Alton's brine recipe, and it is always amazing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

whowhodillybar posted:

Not exactly as photogenic as my last pastrami romp, but oh God I got the flavors so much better. Leaned to have even more patience. Don't rush it. Give it time in the brine/nitrate bath, soak up the rub, smoke, rest, steam, rest, then consume! It all takes time, but it is well worth it.

That looks loving awesome. Would you mind posting the recipe (or based recipe, and rough outlines of what you changed) for this? I broke down and bought a slicer, but still have 7lbs of sliced bacon from my last batch, so need something to get working on, and this looks amazing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Pangloss posted:

That was my thought, but I've heard some bad things about electric smokers. I'm sure a lot of it is hyperbole, but thought it was worth a question here.

I have a WSM (owned for 4 years), and a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (2 years) and love both. The electric seems to pump out BBQ that is 95% as good (no smoke ring), with a drastically reduced amount of effort. The best ribs that I have ever had came out of my MES. Honestly, if I didn't love the WSM as a great excuse to fuss with vents, drink beer and sit outside all day, I would probably chuck it and only use my MES.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zaepho posted:

Lockhart, TX. Just south of Austin. Hit up 3 or 4 of the big names to get a sampling of what Central Texas BBQ is.

Kreutz Market, Smittys and Black's are the ones that immediately come to mind. There's a long tradition of BBQ in most of these joints. Just be prepared to stand in line and don't whine when they're out of something or you can't find a fork or knife or your meal is served on butcher paper.

If you're willing to stand in line from 8am until they open, go to Franklin's in Austin proper. It is consistently rated as the best brisket on the planet. It was starting to slow down (only an hour wait!) until Anthony Bourdain showed up, and tweeted that it was the best thing that he had eaten in his entire life, and the line has been back to 3+ hours ever since.

It really is something special though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
My BBQ Guru functioned exactly as described/I wanted it to. Set temp, it stays at that temp. I didn't care about remote management, reporting or graphing though, so can't speak to those.

Fake edit: It did NOT like getting rained on.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Sooner IMO. I've never done a butt over 10lbs for less than 12 hours. At least not at 225. Butt is VERY forgiving to overcooking, but not at all forgiving of undercooking.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I actually love my Masterbuilt 40. I've had it for about 3 years now, and still works great. The BBQ is 95% as good as my WSM, with 95% less effort.

I use my WSM when I have the time to watch it, and am looking for a good excuse to sit around and drink beer all day instead of doing other things. "Sorry honey, I have to watch the fire. Do you want BBQ tonight not?"

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Jose posted:

If I get an electric smoker is it just the ability to do high temp smokes and the smoke ring that I lose?

You also lose the excuse to sit around outside and drink beer all day. That's mostly it though. I have a WSM and MB40 electric that both see regular use. The prettier the weather outside, the more likely I am to use the WSM.

It is immensely satisfying sometimes to be able to go "Sorry honey, can't go run errands today, I've gotta watch the fire. Do you want brisket tonight or not?" (she always wants brisket)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Now I want to smoke a butt, fridge the whole thing, slice it, then chicken fry it... Someone please tell me not to do this.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man, I am so sorry about them being out of moist. It really is the far and away best thing there.

Franklin is every bit as good as the hype, and really is a destination-worthy joint.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

atothesquiz posted:

I'm headed to Austin for a bachelor party in April and some plan on hitting up Franklin BBQ but we're not sure if we want to invest the time when there are other things to do.

It's the perfect bachelor party day activity. You sit around outside bullshitting and telling stories with your friends for 4 hours, drinking a shitload of beer starting at 8am.

Ugh, the ribs... I had forgotten about the ribs. They may not actually the most "technically perfect, to style" ribs I have ever had, but drat if they are not actually the best tasting I have ever had.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This was one of the sets I looked at first, but the reviews mention they're too slick and aren't easy to clean.

I also found these, which have some cloth and cost a little more, but have much better reviews and higher heat resistance. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B4H02W8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KXI6D8VLQ7YQ

I have a similar but generic pair that I bought from my grocery store that work great, but how could these possibly be hard to clean? You have them on, and you literally just wash your hands.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

red19fire posted:

Yeah, I'm going to get chunks soon, I have a ton of chips from one of those gas grill smoke box things I'm trying to use up first. Also I don't think I used enough coals, it dropped from 215 to 190 after hour 3, might have the bottom vent too choked. Either way the meat's been holding steady at 155, another hour should do it.

VV Yes, biggest chunk of meat i had in the freezer yesterday.

Smoking pork loin is fine. You should have pulled it at 140-145 though. 155 is already overcooked for pork loin.

Pull it off, let it rest, open the lid of the smoker up all of the way to let the remaining coals get super hot, then actually grill it quickly for some color/more flavor.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

QuarkMartial posted:

Not sure what I can get here. Maybe a better question is about how much in weight per person should I account for? 1/4lb?

There will be sides (beans, slaw, potato salad) and I'm going to smoke some hot dogs too.

1/4 lb per person is not going to be nearly enough, especially if you want leftovers. I always do 1lb per person so everyone gets as much as they want, and I have a day or two of leftovers.

You lose a lot of weight on the smoker, and bone, and fat.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Depending on how cheaty you want to be, you can get a BBQ Guru for it to control temp from beginning to end. I never personally got to the point where I was comfortable sleeping for 6+ hours while my WSM was going overnight. My BBQ Guru changed that. I don't use it every time, because many times I WANT an excuse to go drink beer and futz around outside with the smoker.

I'm not a big proponent of the waterpan. I feel that it hinders bark development, and really does kinda steam everything. It's fantastic at making temp jumps even out, I just don't think it's worth it. I foiled mine and filled it with sand. Still acts as extra thermal mass to even out spikes, just not as well, but without the moisture.

I totally disagree with calling a WSM a pig on coal though. I'll regularly get 14+ hours out of a full starting load.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

The water pan isn't all-or-nothing; if you fill it with just a little bit of water (a quart, maybe?), the added moisture helps the smoke bind to the meat early in the cook when most of your smoke penetration occurs. Then everything has dried up (no more water in the pan) by the time you actually want to start forming bark on your longer cooks, like pork shoulder or brisket. Of course, depending on the wood you're smoking with, maybe you don't want that extra penetration in the first place. Less is more with particularly pungent woods like mesquite. And if you're doing something fairly short, like a 3-hour pork loin or some 5-hour ribs, maybe you can't afford that couple hours because you do need it for the bark formation. Know your circumstances. But people have different styles, and sand or bricks are just fine too.

A "full starting load" on the 22.5" WSM is upwards of 15 pounds of charcoal because of the sheer size of the fucker (I've loaded mine with 60 pounds of meat between the two racks), so yeah, that's a shitload of charcoal! And out of the box, it does have some pretty extreme convection because of the need for gasket tape, replacement doors, etc. It does get a lot better if it's retrofit properly with a good windbreak. The size of the thing poses some unique challenges on windy days.

I concede both points.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am one of those that swear by the 22.5. Get it. Beyond just being able to make more brisket/pork if you need to, you can actually do full racks of ribs. I can do 3 racks per level, actually laid flat. I have an irrational hatred of rolling ribs, or doing half racks though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It's already been heated up to around 200 over a long number of hours, so I doubt you'd end up doing much damage while reheating. I personally always reheat brisket to 140, just as a matter of what temp I want to eat it at, and speed of it being ready.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Agree. You are getting in your own way by making it too complicated with the temp change. I stick with 2-2-X method.

225 the whole time
2 hours uncovered with just dry rub
2 hours foiled with whatever flavorful liquid/glaze you want
X hours uncovered until they are done.
Thin layer of sauce, back on for like 10 minutes to tighten up the sauce.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I drive a BBW posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but looked over the last few pages and didn't see anything.

I'm looking to get an electric smoker. Specifically, I've been looking at the Traegers, Green Mountain Grill, and a Camp Chef. What is the general opinion on these grills? I've been leaning more towards the GMG Daniel Boone Wifi model, since I have a buddy that one and loves it. I also know a couple people who have a Traeger, and their biggest complaint is the temp doesn't get that high. I don't know anything about the Camp Chef stuff except that it exists.

Is there something else I should be looking at?

Definitely look at the Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. I've had my 40" for about 3 years now, with zero issues after pretty regular use. It's set it and forget it if you also get an A-Maze-N pellet smoker. If you want to just use the default chips setup for the MES (like I do), you will want to do 2-3 doses of chips over the first 90 minutes of your smoke, but after that, it just does its thing and you collect great BBQ at the end.

Don't bother with the one with the window, halfway through your first cook it will be so gunked up you can't see anything anyway.

Edit: Beaten so hard by Trastion.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 7, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I highly recommend the 22.You can lay multiple full racks of ribs fully flat instead of having to bend, roll or cut them in half. You can also fit a lot more food in there if you want to cook for a large group.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I don't have an 18", so I unfortunately couldn't give a real comparison. I probably use 15lbs of charcoal for around 15hrs worth of smoking? Charcoal has never been more than 10% of the cost of whatever I have been smoking, so I haven't really paid too close attention.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I closed up 2 of my bottom vents completely, and just manage heat with the remaining 1 vent.

For the thick white smoke, it sounds like from temps and setup that you are probably fine. I'd bet that the "smoke" is actually mostly just steam from the water pan/meat condensing immediately due to how cold the outside temp is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yup. I live in Austin and have done the Franklin line 4 times now.

It really, truly is actually worthy of all of the hype. I wasn't expecting it to be, and I got dragged out by friends to sit out at 6:30am on a cold and rainy Saturday morning the first time. I was pretty cranky by the time I got food, but holy poo poo.

There's plenty of discussion about it in the Austin YCS thread if you want to go through the finer points, but my TLDR is below:

Brisket: The star of the show. The lean is better than any brisket I've had anywhere else, but the moist pretty much pushed the boundaries of how good I thought something could possibly taste. It's the beefiest thing you will ever taste. The fat is perfectly rendered so you don't get the fatty bubble gum thing. Salted a lot, jussssstttt under "too salty", and a good hit of black pepper. Without any hesitation, my favorite thing that I have ever eaten.

Pork Ribs: Lives in the shadow of the brisket, so are completely overlooked, but these are also the best pork ribs I have ever had anywhere. They are done in the central Texas style too, heavy on the pepper, so not like your normal pork-loving states' fare.

Sausage: Really disappointing actually. I get a solitary link every time I go hoping that it gets better, but it never has. Very little snap, not enough fat, grainy and kinda dry.

Turkey: I love smoked turkey, and this is very good smoked turkey. That being said, the best possible turkey is not 50% as good as the brisket and ribs here are, so kind of a waste. Get a 1/4lb to try it out, but it's really not worth the stomach space on a trip to Franklin.

Pulled pork: drat good, but again pales in comparison to the brisket and ribs. I can make pulled pork that's 99% this good myself, so I don't both with much on a trip to Franklin.

Sauces: All top notch as far as sauces go,. The vinegar sauce for the pork is a standout.

(Edit) Sides: As evidenced by the edit, totally forgettable. The beans are okay,the slaw is okay, the potato salad is pretty good. I don't know if they are actually mediocre, or they are amazingly good for what they are, but just being compared to the meats they cannot keep up. Either way, you didn't wait 5 hours for potato salad.

The Line: It can be bad. Don't go in thinking about it as "I have to wait in line for 5 hours for food." Go with friends and enjoy the novelty of hanging out and drinking beer starting at 7am. If it's the weekend, you really do want to be there by 6:30 to get a spot in the shade, and guarantee you get all the meats.

Summer is the worst time to go because of both the heat, and UT is out of session. Going on a Tues/Wed/Thurs during the school year is WAY better. You can get there at 10, still get a spot in the shade and get food by 12:30. I went this September on a Tuesday, showed up at 7:00am because I thought I had to, but was the second person in line. Shade didn't fill up until 10:15ish, and by the time we were done eating at 12, the line was probably only 45 minutes before serving. My friends were a little pissed that I got them up there that early unnecessarily.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 29, 2016