Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

What’s the timing like on brisket burnt ends when smoking a whole packer? I’m going to be doing one in a couple weeks, but I almost just want to say screw it and just slice and serve the whole thing if it’s going to be a lot to time right.

Separate flat from point and smoke in two pieces? Would the point be done way earlier? Or smoke the whole thing, rest, and then crisp up cubed point in juice and sauce while the flat slices are getting devoured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I got my first full packer brisket to smoke this weekend, any consensus on separating the flat and the point or doing them together?

I asked this a couple of weeks ago to no answer, because I was planning on doing a whole packer and doing burnt ends with the point and slicing the flat. What I ended up doing was partially filet the point from the flat, but not completely, so I could season all up and in between that area and then laid the point back in its place. Smoked it all in one piece, separated them and wrapped the flat and tossed it in a cooler while I cubed the point and turned it into burnt ends. Worked out really well for me actually.

But I guess if you’re not planning on doing burnt ends with the point it’s kind of moot advice :shobon:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

No pictures, but we got together for an impromptu “Wait, we’re all vaccinated?” cookout as it’s been ages since we’ve hung out and a friend bought a Pit Boss electric pellet smoker. I ran to the grocery store that sells little 3lb cuts of brisket flat and salted it in the fridge over night, then S&P and a rub in the morning. I’ve only done a full brisket in an offset smoker before so I really had no idea how long it was gonna take, and I ended up running it down the street and throwing it on his smoker at about 10AM at 250F.

It never really developed much of a bark which really doesn’t bother me, and it did stall out around 170F which I wasn’t sure would happen or not. I wrapped it then in peach paper and we raised the temp to 300F (because his smoker only does incremental temps and some genius decided to design a smoker that couldn’t be set to 275?) to throw some ribs on. It climbed to 202F by about 6PM and I threw it in a cooler while we finished smoking a few racks of ribs and sides. Turned out super juicy and tender and delicious, made some pickled red onions and onion rolls the night before to serve it on and it was great! I was pretty nervous about smoking such a small piece of brisket.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Do any of you have a Pit Boss 5 series vertical pellet smoker? I recently moved to a second floor condo with a wood balcony. Grills are allowed but I don’t think I’m comfortable having a charcoal kettle up there, so I think I’m going to relegate mine to the garage to wheel out into the driveway for short to medium cooks. I want a vertical pellet smoker to save a bit of space, but also I’ve been using charcoal for a few years now and kind of just want easy mode for long smokes and the Pit Boss is pretty much right in my price range.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

T-Square posted:

Do any of you have a Pit Boss 5 series vertical pellet smoker? I recently moved to a second floor condo with a wood balcony. Grills are allowed but I don’t think I’m comfortable having a charcoal kettle up there, so I think I’m going to relegate mine to the garage to wheel out into the driveway for short to medium cooks. I want a vertical pellet smoker to save a bit of space, but also I’ve been using charcoal for a few years now and kind of just want easy mode for long smokes and the Pit Boss is pretty much right in my price range.

Update: I popped into Menards for a $5 can of propane and saw they had this on sale for about $60 off for like two more days so I just bought it. Probably won’t assemble and fire it up for a couple of weeks because I need to order a cover for it before it goes out to its new home on the balcony.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Think I decided I’m doing little BBQ kits for the family for Christmas this year with some sides and accoutrements to go along with it. What are your favorite things to smoke and vacuum seal/freeze? I’m thinking pulled pork, sliced brisket point and chopped flat (or should I be doing that the other way around) and maybe some ribs?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

qutius posted:

I'd skip the ribs personally, and maybe add some smoked and chopped chicken.

Pulled pork and brisket all freeze and re-heat wonderfully tho, so you're on the right track!

Okay yeah I wasn’t super confident on the ribs, but I’ll grab a chicken instead then!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

Looking back on this year, I think I’ve finally figured out my brisket process. I did maybe six or seven over the year and they all turned out almost perfectly. I started one on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day and while it wasn’t the best this year, the results are something I only dreamed of when I started bbqing.

I’ve done a handful of them over the last few years, probably 5, and while I have yet to be 100% satisfied with the results, I’ve realized they’re far and away better than any cooked brisket you can buy. Did a brisket among other things for Christmas meat basket gifts a few weeks ago and I was kinda beating myself up over the finished product, but I made a brisket sandwich with point slices a few days later and it was incredible, and my family all told me how much they loved it. Then the girlfriend and I went to a BBQ place last weekend and I got a brisket sandwich to compare and it SUCKED (AND was $20!) No smoke, no moisture, totally bland. So I think I’m gonna not be so critical of my smokes from now on lol.

On the other hand:

Hasselblad posted:

I never do wholes. Always point or flat separate.

I think I’ll be doing this as well. I’m gonna give a full brisket one more shot to see if I can get a good flat and good point, but yeah the flats always end up being over cooked. I just like the appeal of a big honkin hunk of beef on the smoker :shobon:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I wanted to try smoking some poor man’s burnt ends and pork belly brisket style yesterday but it turns out chuck roast is now expensive as gently caress or I never noticed because I don’t buy it that often, and also my store no longer carries pork belly :mad:/:(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

More insanity, had to stop at a Meijer on the way home and strolled through the meat dept and they have full packer briskets for $3.99/lb, but then they also have flats only for…$8.99/lb. So you can get half as much of the lesser cut for more than twice the price!

I miss when my Festival had 4lb flats for 20 bucks.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 22, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I got to tag along with my friend to Costco and FINALLY got my hands on some beef ribs, got a pack of two 3-bone slabs. Threw one on for several hours last weekend with some SPG rub, and overall it was fantastic, but I do have one question: the meat was probe tender when I pulled it, and all three bones slid out with zero effort, but I noticed a lot of what seemed like membrane or cartilage in the space immediately surrounding where the bones were, which was not really edible. Having never cooked big ol’ beef ribs before, is everyone just trimming that off after the cook, or should that junk all be breaking down more during the cook?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I guess I should clarify, this wasn’t like the silver skin you peel off the exterior of the meat, this was like in between the bones and both above and below the bones but underneath the meat

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Question for brisket resting in the oven: what temp and how long have you gone in there? I know I’ve heard of some people resting as long as 48 hours (which I’m not planning on)

I couldn’t pass up a 20lb Prime brisket for $70 and had no plans to smoke it so I just impulse bought it and threw it in the freezer, but I’d like to get that going for a dinner or something soon. Problem is I’m on a second floor balcony and don’t really want to let the pellet smoker run overnight un-supervised in case the worst happens, so I’m probably looking at like a 6AM to midnight smoke on this bad boy. Assuming I’d want to serve for dinner the next day, my oven’s Keep Warm setting only stays on for an hour, and I’m not waking up every hour to re-set it. Otherwise the lowest bake temp I can set it to is 170F. Can I toss that thing in there at 170 for like 10-12 hours?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

sinburger posted:

I set mine at 150F and have kept them in the oven upwards of 20 hours. My oven seems to turn on and off to regulate temperature so it'll swing up to 20 degrees over the set temp.

170 would probably be fine if you render out some tallow to pour over and keep it wrapped in butcher paper. At that temperature you aren't cooking it any more, so your main risk is drying it out.

Yeah that’s kinda my concern. Maybe I’ll just wrap the thing in towels and cooler it for 6 or 7 hours while I sleep, and then pop it in the oven on the Keep Warm setting during the day until serving time and re-set it every hour when it turns off.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

WELP stopped in the grocery store on lunch to get some 00 Flour for pizza tonight, and they had BOGO bone-in pork butts so I guess I got some smoking and vacuum sealing to do this weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

So:
I already bought it, so I have to use it
I can't make it inside, the wife is pregnant and any extended smells inside make her sick.
The only outside cooker I have is the smoker
I have to cut it because the mbs isn't wide enough without folding it

They aren’t saying don’t smoke it, they’re saying don’t take it all the way to 200 degrees because it will be tough chewy and totally dried out.

Source: Was wanting to do poor man’s burnt ends with Chuck roast to save money, only to find out that Chuck roast had gotten ungodly expensive for some loving reason, but they had sirloin tip roasts which I’d never cooked before on BOGO sale so I tried that. Two sirloin tip roasts went in the trash that night after sitting on the smoker all afternoon!

E: also probably wouldn’t really sweat cutting it to fit it on the smoker, I don’t see that as a problem either