Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Stringent posted:

you absolutely should be double foiling the water pan.

as for the charcoal, i don't see how cleaning the ash from the grill would be any easier than from the smoker.

help me out here..what does double foiling the water pan do exactly? Also..are you filling it with water? Or empty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Canuckistan posted:

A terracotta flower pot saucer makes a dandy heat sink, plus it's easy to foil and keep clean.

I just love how crafty Canadians can be. ( if you are). Also about the picture above... Holy smeg. Do you buy in bulk? Or take a cart load home from the grocery store?

Never tried a meatloaf on the smoker. Any tips?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Canuckistan posted:

I buy vac packed ribs when they're on sale and throw them into my chest freezer until I'm ready to do a big smoke. I've got 8 or 10 two-packs down there now waiting for me. The ground meat I buy from a local butcher in 5 lb bags.

Meatloaf is great on the smoker. All the fat drains down as there's no pan so it's actually pretty lean.

thanks for The tips! What temp did you cook it too? And how long did it take?

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 4, 2012

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

rigeek posted:

Invest in a Foodsaver or some other similar vacuum sealer. You can vac-seal and freeze the leftovers, and then whenever you get a hankering for BBQ it's already there, all you have to do is defrost and reheat.

I want to second this. Even just in a baggie wrapped in tin foil works well. Canukistan suggested this a few pages back and I've been following those sage words of advice.

Also this kind of goes without saying but when reheating don't try to recook. Give it just enough heat to warm otherwise you'll dry out the meat.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
With my wsm I usually wait until the fire is good and hot. I then add a little bit of water to get it down to 225 or so. For me It's easier to bring it down than back up in a decent amount of time.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Siochain posted:

Doesn't even look like they carry Masterbuilt products anymore :/ heh

Okay, one last question before I bite the bullet:
Which is going to work best in -30 degree celcius weather? I like to BBQ in the cold, and if I can smoke something while its freezing a yaks tits off, even better.
no clue but beware of the rust. I imagine you'll have a heck of a time getting the temp up too. Are you in Canada or something?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Siochain posted:

Hell yeah. Frozen north for life hahah.
Yeah, hadn't though of rust.
I'll have to do some more searching.

I might be wrong with the rust, I just associate cold with ice and water. I say it because I've used two cheap smokers in the winter and they rusted over. Maybe it's just me or maybe just wrap it up like other are saying and try to keep it from a lot of wind? You canadian's are an industrious lot so I imagine there are some great workarounds. :canada:

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

fps_bill posted:

Brisket attempt no. 3 is on the smoker right now. I slathered it in olive oil, seasoned with coarse ground pepper and sea salt, injected it with a mix of soy sauce, apple juice, and some garlic powder.

Once the temp stabilizes I'm gonna get some sleep. I'll get up in a few hours and check on it.

My last 2 briskets have been tender, but dry. Around when are you guys wrapping your briskets?
wonder if the salt in the soy has anything to do with it being dry? Are you saving the juice from the wrap? I find that helps keep it moist after cutting for mine.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

CapnBry posted:

I made my first decent brisket this weekend with this method! My brisket has always been pretty dry, so I did it on the smoke for about 4 hours at 225F over a drip pan (which I put a pint of beer in). I then put it in the drip pan (which was practically dry) and left it on until the internal temperature hit 200F, took it off and let it sit covered for a couple hours down to internal temperature 160F. Delicious and tender and not dry for the first time. I had been leaving it on the smoke for a few hours longer before.

I doubt I'll ever put together a kit-- there's just not enough interest and I'd hate to get stuck with a thousand dollars in parts that nobody wants. I've tried to make a "cart" with all the needed parts in it, but neither Mouser nor DigiKey carries all the parts or similar replacements.

That said, I am working on a writeup that provides step by step instructions on what to buy and how to assemble it, with photos of all the assembly steps. I'll check back in once that's done and maybe it will make more sense.
give butcher paper a shot instead of Tin foil if your feeling adventurous. helps keep the bark better in my experience

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mach420 posted:

Interesting technique with the butcher paper. I'm always disappointed by my foiled bark, so would you think parchment paper would also work? And also, how do you wrap it up? Tight like foil or looser?
the guy from franklins wrap in butcher paper is where I got it from. There is even a story in this thread that spoke about it. Also Wegmans hands it out so ive never had to buy anything other. Sorry . The paper is not tight but also not loose?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

vulturesrow posted:

Seconded. I dont have a WSM (yet) but my smoker is about 18.5 and I continually wish for just a little more space
you could always cut the rack in Half too, but space is nice.i also have two smokers so it's not much of an issue for me. Plus canukistan turned me onto theways of cooking a shitload for one day and freezing it for later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

If you like a little spice, and can find it, the Salt Lick BBQ rub is really, really good. The weird thing is that it is really strong, and tastes nothing like the BBQ at the restaurant, so they clearly do not actually use it themselves.

This is from last page but I wanted to second these thoughts. You can also just do 2 parts salt 1 part pepper which is his base ( and most others). Scott the owner talks about this in a video somewhere. Personally id skip the spice and just buy their sauce. I even use it on salads.