Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cimber posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks fantastic. Thats a brisket, right?

Yea, Pastrami and Corned beef are both made out of briskets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ada shatan posted:

There are some pretty rough pieces of fat on a packer that don't render well and end up pretty tough to eat. Feel around on the brisket and you'll notice that some areas have a very hard, dense feel to them. Trim that out, and that's all you need. The other thing to think of is how much fat your audience wants to consume. Some packers have an inch or more on there, and they may not enjoy that much fat (because they are crazy).

Overall it comes to preference, but I definitely see merit in trimming.

Just never go too far, otherwise you end up with sad, dry brisket. Once I get going it's tempting to indulge my OCD and get every little piece but that way lies madness. It definitely still needs a good bit of fat to stay moist for those long low cooks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Secret Spoon posted:

My butcher called me. He has wagyu brisket. Should I buy a cut at 6$ a pound?

poo poo, 6$ a pound seems really par for the course for regular rear end brisket to me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Porkchop Express posted:

After getting married this past weekend the wife and I got an electric smoker for our tiny apartment patio, and after doing a brisket yesterday for dinner we are already hooked on using this thing! We are still getting the hang of it and didn't read about foiling the brisket until it had been in there for a while, so we pulled it out when it was at 165 and it tasted fine, a little on the chewy side but still delicious as all gently caress. Right now I have a slab of bacon cooking in it that I am going to chop up to be used in some fried rice, I am hoping that an hour is long enough for it to cook because I need to get it in to the frying pan here real soon.

It's probably chewy because you're supposed to let Brisket go to about 200 :)

(It needs to sit at a higher temp for many hours for all the fat and connective tissue to render down)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hi smoking thread. Driven by the complete lack of decent smoked anything where I am in Florida, I impulse bought a slow 'n sear for my Weber kettle. I've smoked stuff in the kettle before, but always hotter things like chicken and turkey, vs beef ribs/brisket/etc.

I took the leap last night with some shortribs, and god drat am I happy with this one.

Trimmed and dry brined the night before:

Finished with heavy black pepper rub:

Still a shitload of coals left to go after 5 hours:

Not a ton of smoke ring but who cares because this poo poo was loving crazy good

The slow 'n sear worked incredibly well, I don't have any probes for my grill (yet..) but I was checking the temp about every hour or so and it held at about 230-50 for the whole 5 hours. I had the bottom grates open, like, maybe a millimeter or two.

Next thing I really want to do is Salmon, and lots of it. Anyone have good suggestions of recipes/brines/glazes there?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Even after 3 good cooks on my weber kettle I somehow don't feel like a brisket I made on it could live up to really good bbq brisket. This is dumb and weird but w/e I think I've just got bad brisket PTSD from never learning the lesson of "Always get pulled pork instead of brisket at bbq places of totally unknown quality"

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I did get one of those Smoke thermometers on sale from Thermoworks, and they do work great.

Fish, and more ribs from this weekend:

RIBSS. This batch was way way better than the first one I did. I don't know if I just had more well marbled ribs, or did a better job keeping the temp even with the thermometer (Last time I was just sticking my thermapen under the lid every once in a while), but they came out just perfectly pull apart finger tender. I pulled them at 205 and then foil/coolered for an hour or so since they got done a little faster than I thought.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 25, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Salmon thoughts, I let this piece cure for 8 hours, which was probably a bit too long for 1.5 pounds of fish. It was a little salty to eat solo, although perfectly fine (OK more than fine, it was really dang tasty) and good eaten with other things on a sandwich, toast, etc.
I cooked it to 140 which I also think is too high. I'd probably pull it like 10 degrees earlier.

Bonus dogge pic:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
drat good looking bark my dude

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'd guess that you'd get the most smoked flavor by doing the meat for a couple hours on the smoker first to get a good smoke ring/start on a good bark, then cubing/ tossing it in your chili like normal and just cooking for a shorter time from there. The smoke on the outside of the meat should flavor the rest of the stuff I think. You could probably also just as a couple drops of high quality liquid smoke too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anne Whateley posted:

The trouble is it's hard to find actual liquid smoke; I think Wright's is the only findable brand. Colgin's, which is the top brand, is all molasses, vinegar, coloring, salt, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-Natural-Hickory-Seasoning-Liquid/dp/B0023V2EWG/

Given how tiny an amount you need to get the flavor, this should last about loving forever. No ingredients but water and concentrated smoke.

I do love the review comment that is just "makes smokey flavor. not my favorite." Like... what did you think it would taste like my dude?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
This is definitely going to end well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I tried a few smoked salmon recipes this weekend, and found huge fuckin success with one of them.
I forgot to take many pictures, mostly because it was an effort not to just devour the whole thing right after pulling it off the grill.

It was incredibly juicy and tender, and a bit of the soy chili flavor got through. Super loving delicious.
This was the brine I used: https://keviniscooking.com/smoked-salmon-brine-recipe/
That guy's cooking instructions are crazy though, I just put the fish on at 200 and tried not to let the kettle get much above 230, and pulled it off at 137f internal temp or so .

I did some other batches with different brines, glazes, and so on but this one was by far the best. Some of the latter ones didnt get much time air drying in the fridge to form a pellicle, and the difference in the smoke flavor + texture on the top was pretty noticeable. So, uh, I guess, don't skip that part.

e: One thing about pulling it at this temp is, it's definitely not as firm as you'd usually have smoked fish, so if you like it a little more toothsome, I'd probably let it go to 145 or so.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 6, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I haven't noticed any extreme odors in mine, but I haven't gone smelling it closely either. I didn't have the fish on the grate directly, it was on a second rack that i used to dry it in the fridge, which also fits in the dish washer. I definitely foiled my drip pan too though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The pit barrel looks awesome just for the hangar factor to me. Being able to hang stuff like ribs or chickens and not have to clean a grill at all is just loving aces.

Also looks about as good as it gets for set it and forget it when dealing with charcoal.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm thinking of buying an xl Big GreenEgg. Is it an over-priced gadget for rich suckers, or is it really good ?

I've been using a weber, 21.5". I do a lot of grilling so the extra space would be useful. I'm just concerned about the price + all of extra accessories.

XL bges seem like a hell of a lot of money just to get for a larger cook area imo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hi goons. I have smoked more things. Some old:

Some new: Smoked meatloaf(s)

One glazed, one dry rubbed, both delicious as hell.
This is one of those foods that I would highly suggesting putting on foil or parchment before you put it on the grate of your smoker though. Even though it'll firm up, it's still a dicey thing to get it off the grate cleanly when you're done cooking.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Internet Explorer posted:

"thermometers are for nerds" is a scorching hot take.

I can tell how hot it is by letting my eyes linger on the take for 5 seconds, actually.

Hasselblad posted:

:shrug:

Couldn't you sear the bottom and then transfer to the grates?

It probably would have been OK if I'd left the loaves in the fridge or freezer longer before putting them on the grill, but I started too late in the day to have that much spare time heh.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's been a long rear end time since I home made bacon, but all I remember from the previous attempts I made was that it came out incredibly over the top salty :|

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I. M. Gei posted:

This is a real dumb question, but would there be any benefit to smoking a Thanksgiving turkey at a super low non-cooking temp like 170° or so for a few hours and then frying it, as opposed to just smoking it or frying it alone? Has anybody ever tried that?

I love smoked turkey, but my mom claims that fried turkey is the only kind of turkey she likes, and I’m wondering if there’s a way to combine the two.

EDIT: I already asked this in a different thread, but I figured I’d get a better answer here.

No way you'd be able to taste any smoke at all after frying, but really, that's sorta OK because cajun spiced fried turkey is loving *incredibly good*

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Holy smoke ring on that sucker.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've smoked my turkey every year for the last 5 or so. Times have been all over the place because I have used different sizes bird and didn't have good grill thermometers until this year. It was generally faster than you'd expect though, in the 3 hours and change range for a 12 pound bird.

E: I've always dry brined beforehand, too. That might help.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I suspect that it'll be a decent bit longer if you don't spatchcock it (And why wouldn't you it's crazy faster/makes for better crispy skin).

Also then you have the big ole spine and other bits to go with the neck and giblets for making gravy!!!!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I did salmon and turkey this year. I had a minor freakout at how charred the exterior of the turkey looked but I should have had faith and trusted the thermometer that said it was 150 in the breast. (It was, and it was loving delicious.)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I suspect mine ended up pretty burny looking thanks to too much sugar in the rub, but I'd have to do more for science to really see.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I could eat smoked chickens (or turkey) just about forever and be happy with it!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
For a brisket or pork shoulder you could probably do that, most stuff is going to be faster than that though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The smoke is so good. No question the single largest thing you can do to up your cooking game.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm ready to make the leap. Anyone "beat on them"? As in hey it is sprinkling outside, and it survives? Probe life?

I've used mine outside when it was raining, it was fine. It's pretty durable overall.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Seconding both dry brining and that it'll smoked a bit quicker than you'd guess.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Absolutely dry brine + spatchcock, makes things so good.

Just be careful not to let temps get too high. You can cook poultry all the way up to 350 or so, but if you use a rub with any sugar in it (I think some brown sugar goes really well in a rub, so) then letting the cooker go over that will char the gently caress out of the sugar in the rub and you'll be sad.

325 was totally fine for cook speed + moist juicyness + not turning the skin totally black.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Only other thing I'd note with turkey is that it might take a few tries to find a good place to put your temp probe if you have a smoke thermometer or something. If it looks like your cook is going way way too fast you have to go and poke the bird a bunch to find the coldest spot to make sure you're getting the whole thing up to 150f. Compared to a pork butt or brisket where you can just slap that sucker right in the middle and know you're getting a good reading.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 28, 2019

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

XeeD posted:

I picked up a couple racks of beef ribs for dirt cheap. Do I just treat them like pork ribs or is there a better way?

Trim super excess fat, dry brine overnight, then pull em and rub heavy with black pepper before smoking at 225-250 till they hit ~202-203. Devour eagerly.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I loving love beef ribs, I think when done well they're my all time champion favorite BBQ meat as well.

I'm currently curing a brisket flat for pastrami making, but the lead time on this is just absolute torment. I put it in the fridge to cure on Wednesday, but it's going to a all the way to NEXT Saturday before I get to chow the gently caress down on some pastramis on rye.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Mission is a chain but at least they usually have good sauce selection so you can tailor whatever you got to whatever style you feel like to some degree.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
After a week and change, Pastrami is finally finished:

Brined, aka the least appetizing hunk of meat ever:

Rubbed, getting there

after stalling on the smoker, before going in the steamer:

And finally, slicing in to it at long fuckin last:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think i'm gonna do a chuck roast this Saturday, but with the same spice rub as I used on that Pastrami, and finished all the way on the smoker with a foil wrap at the stall.

I want to try and get it more tender, I tried the initial recipe as written which calls for smoking it until you hit the stall, and then moving it to a steamer. I think the steam cooking actually just went too plain fast though and didn't give the brisket enough time at higher temp to fully break down all that connective tissue.
It was still really good, just with a decent bit more chew than I like in my BBQ meats.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fall Dog posted:

I attempted smoked beef ribs for the first time yesterday and committed the sin of being impatient, because they were taking longer than the 10 hours suggested in the recipe. They were at the 13 hour mark when I took them out, and had an internal temperature in the mid 190's instead of the target 205.

(delicious but large pics snipped)

Possibly the best meat I have ever tasted in my life. So juicy and tender. I did a simple light dusting of salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika and it was perfect. I had home-made barbecue sauce on the side, but it wasn't needed at all. There must have been a load of connective tissue in there because it was still dripping out while it was resting and there was a ton in the drip tray post-smoke. The amount of meat was almost too much for a single serving and I was struggling to finish the last rib.

I've got another lot in the freezer, so I know for next time to trim them/remove the membrane the night before and to crutch them to speed up the cooking time (I'm hesitant to do that because of the amount of fat coming out). Is it possible to do a pseudo crutch by covering the top in foil so the fats can still render out? Or will that just result in a soggy bark and not actually speed up the cook?

It's totally OK if they never reach 205- That temp is more a guideline saying that typically for a random cut, by the time it gets there all the connective tissue should be rendered. But it's 100% a thing that can happen at lower temps, it just takes longer.

Similarly, just because a piece of meat reaches 205 doesn't mean it's done, that rendering process is a combination of the temp AND time.

I super super feel you on the sin of impatience though. My first attempt at beef ribs went the same way. OK, actually, really, the first attempt at most stuff I've done, heh.

Not actually fully wrapping the meat won't really help it over the stall though. The point of the crutch it to trap water inside and keep it from evaporating, which is what cools the meat down until enough water has been evaporated out. I would wrap it after it hits the stall, then once you're at finished temp unwrap again and crank the heat a bit in the smoker, or just pop it in a hot oven to crisp the bark up as one final step, to get the best crust.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 12, 2019

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

When I first started smoking I did not use a water pan, and my meats were coming out bitter and covered in creosote.

Since I started using the water pan, this has not happened again. My theory is that the drippings were hitting the charcoal and creating a thicker, greasier smoke.

That's definitely a thing that happens (grease drippings hitting the charcoal) if you're smoking over coals vs offset or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Twlight posted:

After my pulled pork was such a hit, i'm being asked to do another! which is great however I don't want to have to get up early the day of the party so I was thinking of doing the pork a day before. I've been reading on line and it seems people are keeping the pork together, letting it rest on the counter then putting it back in the fridge, reheating then shreading. Is this about the sequence of events I should shoot for? I don't want to keep the pork in the danger zone by just tossing it in the fridge after resting, how long should I budget before it goes in over night, if it even should do that?

You could cook, shred, reserve the fat and juices, then refrigerate overnight. Next day before party time, re-melt the fat and drizzle it over the shredded pork then put the entire platter of it under the broiler and turn it in to carnitas. Not strictly classic pulled pork, but still really really delicious.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 14, 2019