Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Not strictly a BBQ question persay, but with the salmon talk on the last page, what's the best method for getting pin bones out? I've tried using pliers on trout cause I get it for free from my dad and the two times I attempted it ended in a mangled mess where yanking out bones inevitably takes a shitload of meat out with it and/or turns the thing to mangled mush. I feel like all the stuff I read online of "oh yeah just remove them before cooking with needle nose pliers" are just trolling me cause every time I've tried it's went horribly wrong. What am I missing?

In my experience needle nose pliers inevitably mangle the fish. I've never used tweezers but if you watch cooking shows that's what they use.

I just use my fingers. Feel long the line with the pin bones, when you feel one that's not exposed enough to grab usually if you press down a bit it will slide out enough to get a purchase on. You may tear the fish a little bit but waaaay less than pliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

Who's cooking today? I've got a pork butt going into the PBC.

Doing my first low and slow smoke ever. I’m on a Weber 22” charcoal grill. I bought 2 racks of super premium heritage baby back ribs from Savenors in Boston so I am praying I don’t screw them up. They was pricey.

Seems to be going well so far right now I’m ~80 minutes in, the applewood has stopped smoking and the probe reads 228 about 1” above the ribs. Got up to 240 near the beginning but not for very long maybe 15 or 20 minutes? I’m watching it like a hawk.

My only concern is that with the water pan the grill is a bit crowded with only about 0.5 to 1” at most between the racks so it may take longer for them to cook through.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

My only concern is that with the water pan the grill is a bit crowded with only about 0.5 to 1” at most between the racks so it may take longer for them to cook through.

Rotated the racks at the 120 min mark and the air temp in the grill shot up to 263. It’s coming down now though.

I think they still have a ways to go though.

e: note to self. 13x9 for a water or drip pan is too large for this grill

e2: took them out after almost 5 hours. Absolutely lovely.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 17, 2018

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Glad your first smoke went well, but keep in mind that part of the glory of smoking is the ability to take a cut of meat that is otherwise nearly inedible, and make it amazing. Smoke more cheap things, rather than fewer expensive things.

:)

I usually just use the grill to sear steaks or burgers hot and fast, getting an afternoon to hang out and mind the grill was a fathers day present. Not going to happen too often. But now I know I can get a solid ~230 degrees for > 5 hours (about 1/5 the coals were still uncharred when I pulled the ribs) with minimal attention so I may be able to 'set it and forget it' with only an occasional check in and do more frequent smokes in between other chores/errands.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

atothesquiz posted:

These are what I have available in western NY. They're about 10" or 12" square before the smoke. Finding a decent brisket is even harder. Our costco doesn't carry packers either.

Seems to me that you could just order a standing rib roast. I live in expensive as gently caress boston and I can get choice usually for ~$13/lb bone in. Cut it yourself into ribs and rib-eyes.

A 4 rib joint is around 6-8 lbs which would easily make 6 thick rib-eyes and you can leave as much meat on the bone as you want.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Edit: Barf, I think it's time to replace this maverick with a smoke or something. The probe I'm using for air temp is reading 50 degrees low in the smoker and was already 4 degrees off at room temp. I have a thermaq+probes but there's no remote for it and it's like $200 to get one with wifi/bluetooth

I have the first gen of this: https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7204-i...d4BL&ref=plSrch

It’s fine. Maybe a second or two slower than my thermapen but plenty accurate.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Accuracy as checked by spot checking with the thermapen.

Every time I’ve calibrated the thermapen it’s +/- 1 degree at 32 and 212.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Every time I set up for a low temp cook I go "ok, today I'm not going to light too much charcoal and then have to wait for an hour till I can get this grill under 300" and then I go do exactly that again.

I put a pile of unlit coals in the little bins my Weber came with and filled those with unlit coals. The bins were arraigned with the long ends congruent.

Then I lit 12 coals and the when they were ready I put them on top of the unlit coals. The temp stayed low and the coals burned for well over 5 hours.

I’m considering getting a slow and sear just for ease of use and repeatability but it works fine without it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Carillon posted:

So it looks like I'll be getting a free Akorn next week. The grates are all rusted but looks to be surface level rust and not compromising the integrity at all. What's the best way to clear off the rust and get that thing good to go? Anyone had to deal with a lot of rust? Should I just look into buying new grates?

WD 40 and a wire brush and hi temp grill paint.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Someone please save me an afternoon of googling and watching lovely youtube videos.

What's the best way to cook wings on a grill? Slow smoke? If so what temp and how long? Or do you reverse sear? How do you know when they are done enough to sear? Or do you just sort of bake them at 350 (or 425 or whatever) and should probably just use an oven?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

jonathan posted:

I did a pork shoulder over a campfire pit during Canada Day weekend and it turned out really good considering I had no thermometer and no way to tell exactly how hot the area was over the fire.

And LOL at women who think it's their place to give cooking advice such as "why are you cooking it 7 hours it will be a lump of coal you only need to cook it to medium"

And then act all pissy when you politely explain that I know what I'm doing.

I almost got the impression that they're used to being the cooks and maybe weren't used to a male knowing more than them about cooking and couldn't handle it.

If the women around you generally think you are incompetent at common tasks it's probably something about you.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hub Dirt posted:

God drat, I never knew about this thread. How can we do all of this on a Weber 22 and a rusty 18?

I posted a few pages back that I did a 5 hour 225 F smoke on a 22” Weber using the $15 Webber charcoal baskets without touching the coals once. There are a ton of videos on YouTube showing different techniques.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks.

WRT SV pulled pork, I put the rub and salt on before bagging, and it’ll be bagged for about 24 hours before the cook starts, so a total of 42-48 hours. When it comes out of the bag, should I:

a) re-rub to help with bark;
b) rinse and re-rub to help with bark without overseasoning; or
c) just leave it, it’ll be fine?

Assuming it has enough structural integrity that I can manipulate it in any way, that is.

My understanding was that you salt up to 24 hours before but you only really need to put the rub on just before it goes into the smoker. The herbs and sugars do not get absorbed into the meet like the salt does.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CRISPYBABY posted:

Had a coworker aggressively explain to me on friday that thermometers are for nerds and that he can tell when his grill is at 400 by holding his hand over for 5 seconds it and it felt like being in a conversation with door to door jehovahs witnesses where I really wanted to say that everything about that is wrong but wasn't worth the effort or upsetting the politeness of the environment so I just kinda nodded along.

Tell him to let you know when he can tell when his pork butt is at temp while watching football in the living room.

What’s that? Left it in too long and now it’s nine wasted hours of bone dry mess? Aww too bad.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

I am smoking a prime rib for my dad's bday this weekend. My only concern is how I will transport it to his house an hour away without it cooling too much. Thinking I may do the majority cooking on the smoker and reverse sear in the oven when I get there to finish. Thoughts?

If it's a big roast, in the 8-10 lbs range, I know from experience that it will stay warm on the kitchen counter with a towel draped over it for 35-40 minutes. I imagine that if you take the advice above about wrapping it and putting it in a cooler it will be fine.

I also always sear prime rib after it rests and just before serving, usually under the broiler for a couple of minutes frequently checking for the perfect amount of crusted but not burned.

It will be great.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

Went to my favorite local bbq restaurant today and they had changed my favorite bbq sauce. It's a mustard based sauce that was very sweet and good, I put it on everything (fries, meat, etc). I asked about it and they said it was because the new one was GF and had less sugar in effort to be more healthy. Uh, sir I'm eating a pig covered in more pig (pulled pork with bacon on top) sandwich, that wasn't high on my concerns list. They have almost no "healthy" options so this was high on the :wtc: list.

Anybody have a good mustard based bbq sauce recipe? I tried a couple but none have come close so I'm guessing there must be a pound of sugar in it. :v:

Ask them for the recipe. Since they don't use it any more maybe they will just give it to you?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

So for a 19"?

Looks like 4 hours...not being spatchcoked.

If you don't have a good thermometer you can do the joint wiggle test. Grab a drumstick and see if it's loose in the joint, if so it's probably about done.

But, uh, you should get a thermometer.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thoughts for time on a 10-11lb prime rib @ 275?

Or any tips?

Cook until 120 internally for medium rare as it will continue to cook while resting. Let rest for 45 minutes while oven heats to 475. Roast at 475 for up to 10 minutes to crisp up the fat cap.

Slice and serve.

That size meat will hold temp a LONG time so best to start early rather than late and hold up dinner.

That size roast may take up to 4 hours at that temp.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 24, 2018

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks. I usually don't fret much but...

1) Given the cost (makes brisket look cheap).
2) It is Christmas. On birthdays or whatever when cooking if I screw up (which I haven't yet, knock on wood) I always make the joke we can order pizza.
3) The old-timers in my family want things...shall we say more well-done. Not with ketchup extreme levels, but they grew up in a time where that is how it was. Drives me nuts, but yeah, plan is for medium-rare and slice and let them cook in the au jus to make up the difference for their preference of choice.

In the end it will all be a-okay. Just a cathartic thread to let me vent.

How’d it go?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Cedar is common when smoking salmon.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TheReverend posted:

MES set to 260.

Thermapro says 195.

Is MES thermo that bad?

Should I try to get a replacement?

Boil some water to double check, its 212 by definition unless you are at altitude. Also easy to take a picture and send to customer support.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Cooks Illustrated had a method where you do 350 until you are passed the stall zone (165ish?) and then drop the temp to 225 until you hit your target temp.

Looked like it works pretty well for when you don't have all day.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fall Dog posted:

Isn't the chance of dry bark negated by the fact it's a shoulder and will likely be shredded anyway? I don't eat pork so I'm unfamiliar with the whole pulled pork scene.

I like cooking it to about 190-195 internal temp and serving it as slices of roast pork. It has just enough cohesion to maintain shape but is still super moist and unctuous.

Lets you play with other flavors too, it doesn't always have to be an in your face bark.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fall Dog posted:

I attempted smoked beef ribs for the first time yesterday ...

Are these beef ribs with a thick layer of rib eye/prime rib still attached or are these beef short ribs?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probes should have two sensors, one at the top for food temp and one at the base for air temp.

Would save a lot of hassle and also help with deltas due to localized heating.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

What if you want to cook more than one food?

You could still have multiple probes?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

I also like B&B, although Royal Oak is alright too

For smoking you want high repeatability so I just stick with standard kingsford. Also, invented by Henry Ford and Thomas Edison (not really) so how could anything be better than that?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Spudalicious posted:

Well after 4 years my MES died. I kinda blew it last season leaving it outdoors for winter, the cold blew the electronics. Anyway it's a new season, I want to learn how to do real charcoal smoking and I need a grill too. I like those charcoal grill smokers, but I also want a propane grill for times when I don't feel like setting up charcoal. I'm looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Oklahoma-Joes-Charcoal-Smoker-Combo/dp/B016ZIB8HO has anyone ever had one of these types of combination devices or should I suck it up and just buy a separate little propane grill and a dedicated smoker?

My Webber 22" Kettle has a small propane tank for starting the charcoal. Put coal in chimney, pres butan, wait, turn off gas, dump coals into slow and sear, slide vent to marks for 225 F and close the lid. Done.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

my problem with this is finding good briquettes is hard as hell. Kingsford is complete poo poo and then there's??? Can't compost the ash either.

Of course you could always make your own, it’s dead easy. Put wood in pit, light, cover with dirt, wait.

People have been doing it for 1000s of years.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Yes, via kenji's method.
I've done both the smoker only and the SV combo method with great success.

The Food Lab: Meet Barbecue Beef Chuck, Brisket's Cheaper, Easier Cousin

Thanks for the link. Going to try that out soon.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hasselblad posted:

My wife has been binging English Baking Show, and the warning at the beginning is always simply "gore".

There's at least one episode where someone slices their hand open and a bunch of blood is shown. I assume that's why the rating.

Although some of the more spectacular failures might count.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I wish I could do overnight cooks, but with my cheap rear end smoker I’m out there every twenty minutes messing with the vents.

Next spring I’ll go hunting for a used WSM on Facebook Market or Craigslist.

Hasselblad posted:

Have you considered a stoker of some kind?

I use a webber kettle with a slow n' sear and I get consistent heat that I can dial in for about 5-6 hours without fiddling. I have the vent openings down for 225, 250 and 275.

The biggest issue is that cheap charcoal (Kingsford) seems to leave a lot of ash which reduces airflow enough that temps drop. Using good charcoal with low ash and I am pretty sure I could stretch to 8+ hours without touching it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Maybe trying some different charcoal is the way to go for me and see what happens. I do use Kingsford. What do you recommend?

I had good results with Weber hardwood briquettes. I hear that Stubbs also has pretty low ash.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Where do you guys buy this stuff? I have had pretty poor luck locating non-Kingsford briquettes anywhere (Amazon included). At least, anywhere in stock and with a reasonable lead time. All the hardware stores have is either Kingsford briquettes, match-light, or a dozen different types of hardwood lump. And they sometimes have smoke-flavor briquettes, but obviously that's a non-starter.

But man, it's wild how much ash the Kingsford briquettes produce versus hardwood lump. Definitely took me by surprise when I did my first smoke.

My local Lowes and HomeDepot both carry Weber briquettes. There are lots of charcoal reviews online where they talk about residual ash so you could try alternates of what's around your area? Alternatively, HD and Lowes are pretty good about shippin3g to your local for free so you could put in an order for some?

It's $20 for 20 lbs, so two to four times the cost of Kingsford depending on if you buy on sale. Kingsford also has a few premium lines (Professional and Long Burn?) that might be worth checking out if your store carries it.

Someone did a comparison test:
https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/kingsford-long-burning-weber-hardwood-charcoal-burn-test-2017/

Edit: The Weber coals in that test produced as much ash over the entire burn as the Kingsford blue bag BUT I think this supports what I was saying because per unit of time there is less ash. In the test all the coals were lit at once and the Kingsford burned through completely producing their total volume of ash in two hours while the Weber was still burning strong at that point.

With a low and slow cook where you light one corner I would expect that at a time when the Kingsford was mostly expended and was ashed up and blocking airflow the Weber charcoal would have produced significantly less ash as fewer coals would have been consumed. You would have a longer burn still reserved as well.

This matches my experience pretty closely but it does suggest that you might be able to do even better with an even less ashy super premium charcoal briquette.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 16, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CapnBry posted:

What a flippin' weird way to test. I took 100 of three different charcoals that come in two different sizes and measured which lasted longer. I compared them to 56 of another charcoal that is in a massively different size, but the weight of 56 isn't the weight of 100 of any of the others. They don't write on the bags the number of briquettes in the bag so why not, I dunno, test as close to the same weight? It would be a lot clearer if they didn't use 6.8% more Weber than any Kingsford when comparing the burn time where the extra mass should result in an 8.2 minute advantage.

I thought it was odd that he didn't just go by weight but when I eyeballed it the mass of 56 Webers looked pretty close to 100 Kingsford blue bag so I didn't get too critical. 5.8% is healthy but looking at those images there appeared to be substantially more than that of the Weber coals left at the 2 hr mark.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 16, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

M2tt posted:

Opened up a bag of pecan today and it all looks like this. Anyone happen to know/have thoughts on if this is salvageable or not? (B&B btw, hard to recommend now)

I take it you don't have a giant gently caress off stack of years old firewood in your yard covered by a tarp then?

You are going to burn it. If it bothers you just brush it off or even clean it with soap and water.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

M2tt posted:

It's mold. It smells like mold.

Then throw it away.

Or crank your smoker up to 250 and dry it out for a bit and brush it off.

Or just use it.

It's dead wood, it gets mold on it. I guarantee you that if you inspected the wood pile at any smoke house you'd find wood with mold on it and a staff that gives no fucks about throwing it in the smoker.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Well, hell. I was thinking that I would be hotter for longer with the lid on. Just google'd it, turns out charcoal grills get hotter with the lid off. Makes sense for oxygen flow now that I think about it.

I am using the two-zone method. Going to try some chicken thighs tomorrow. Read somewhere to cook them on the cool side for 95% of the cook, then at the end jump them to the hot side for a quick sear.

If you really want to juice it up a notch in the future get a slow n' sear or vortex. They funnel air through the coals better and direct the heat upwards. They get seriously hot and are efficient in not using a ton of coals. Also, the slow n sear is effective at turning the kettle into a decent smoker, or you can use the snake method with a bit more effort.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Doing a 4 lb chuck roast today. Smoked for 5 hours at ~200 to 225 and only was at 145 internal. It's cool and rainy and I could not get the temps up on the smoker. I pulled it out, wrapped it in foil and now it's in the oven at 250. Hopefully it will be done in time for dinner around 6.

If it's not through the stall by like 3:30 I may just crank the oven to 300.

Edit VVV Thanks for that.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Well, I have found that even if you wrap in foil and then blow past 165 you can still stall. If you're dumb.

I misunderstood some stuff on the internet (surprising, I know) where it said you want a target temp of 203. It also said you should unwrap and go back under the heat for the last 30 minutes.

So, I stopped at 192, unwrapped and put back under the heat and left it for 30 minutes. When I came back the internal temp had dropped to 176! It cooled off 16 degrees in a 250 deg oven. Whoops.

So, it's back in the oven all wrapped up climbing back up to 203. I won't have time now to 'crisp up the bark' by putting it back in the oven unwrapped after it hits 203 now and still let it rest before serving but it will still be delicious.