Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Costco's kamado joe roadshow is coming nearby soon, and I was thinking about picking one up. Is the classic the size to get, or is there a good reason to go bigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Looking to get a WSM since costco didn't actually have the kamado sales at locations near me. A couple questions about it:
1. Is there any reason to get the smaller sizes, or is the 22" the way to go?
2. Are there any must buys/mods to go along with the WSM that is just general smoker stuff?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

McSpankWich posted:

I have the 18," it's served me very well. I can fit a large pork shoulder and a few racks of ribs on it at the same time, but that's pretty much max. If you want to be able to entertain large groups get the 22," the drawback is that because of the larger coal chamber, it will cost more fuel per smoke than the 18" will.

One mod is basically essential, which is the stainless steel door replacement, the stock door is poo poo and will unabashedly leak heat and smoke. Also of note are some lid sealing kits they sell, but I didn't get one myself.
Is the door you're talking about the cajunbandit one? It's the first thing that came up on google. Most of the time, I will want to be able to feed 6-10 people

quote:

I would definitely recommend getting a dual probe thermometer as well (for meat and ambient temp) as the built in lid thermometer is not the most accurate. That's just "general smoker stuff" though, so yea.
I'm getting one of the thermoworks dual probe sets already

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

I highly recommend the 22.You can lay multiple full racks of ribs fully flat instead of having to bend, roll or cut them in half. You can also fit a lot more food in there if you want to cook for a large group.

How much more fuel does the 22 use? Spareribs are one of my favorite meats so making that easier would be nice, but not if I'm only half filling the smoker and burning a lot more fuel for it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'd be all over that if that's worth anything. Most people seem to ask for ~750 for BGE large equivalents on craiglist here, so 780+tax for a new KJ classic is a pretty good price.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Going to do my first smoke on friday. The plan right now is 2 pork shoulders (6.5 lb ea) and 2 racks of spare ribs with memphis dust rub. I'm thinking about starting the cook around 6 AM with the pork butts on the bottom rack and starting the ribs on the top (3-2-1 or something) around noon with the plan of being done by 6-7. Is this a reasonable timeline, and is adding the ribs too ambitious for the first time?

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 22, 2016

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

12 hours should be enough so long as weather doesn't make temperature maintenance difficult. What kind of smoker are you using? If it's a WSM you'll have differing temperatures on the top and bottom rack. Always plan to be done early rather than an exact time, I've learned this the hard way. Wrap that shoulder in foil, a towel, and throw it in a cooler and it will remain heated almost as long as you need it to. Throwing some ribs on is probably not too much but also keep in mind if you keep opening the smoker for the ribs it'll affect the shoulder's cook time so plan accordingly.

Enjoy!

Yeah, I'm using a WSM. I'll probably bump my starting times by about an hour to have more room to wiggle.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

qutius posted:

honestly, I'd do two hours if you can. pork shoulders can take forever...

5am gives me around 13-14 hours to hit a meal time of between 6-7. Should I add another hour and start at 4 then?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'm about 3 hours into my first smoke. Some questions:

1. On a WSM are you supposed to use all 3 of the bottom vents together, or do you basically close 2 of them and use a single vent to control temperature?

2. I'm still getting pretty thick white smoke coming out. Is this normal? I completely filled the charcoal chamber with kingsford blue + 3-4 chunks of cherry with the top parts of the wood exposed then removed 1/2 chimney's worth of charcoal to start. I started the 1/2 chimney and let it run for about 5-10 minutes then dumped them into the chamber. I haven't had much problem maintaining close to between 220 and 230 aside from a spike or two. Top vent is completely open, and the bottom has one vent completely open and the rest shut. It is lightly raining and is about 40F outside

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 23, 2016

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Trip report - TL;DR not that good but not the worst

Timeline:
4:00 AM - Wake up, put rubs on pork shoulder which were salted the previous day
4:30 AM - Full ring of coal put into WSM and lit using minion method
4:50 AM - 2 ~6.5lb pieces of shoulder go onto bottom rack of WSM. Air temperature is measured at the level of the grommet on new WSMs. One of the shoulders has a probe in it.
11:00 AM - Removed breastbone from spareribs, trimmed fat, added salt + rub.
11:30 AM - Spare ribs go onto top rack of WSM. Racks were cut in half and didn't really fit on the grate without overlapping. Added a couple more chunks of wood
12:00 PM - The rain turns into loving snow. My temps start dipping into the low 200s. I started a short nap and had someone to yell at me if it dropped below 200.
1:30 PM - I start another chimney of charcoal and dump it in. Some of it didn't land in the ring. Temperatures go back up to 220-240. Success
5:30 PM - Pork butt is still showing 172F on the maverick. Watered down sauce goes on the ribs. Rotated the ribs on the grate
6:30 PM - Pulled the ribs from the smoker. Dinner ensues shortly thereafter.
7:00 PM - Mid-dinner the air temp starts dropping below 200 again. I went and poked the coals a little which got it up to 210 for about 10 minutes.
7:30 PM - Removed the shoulders from the smoker as the temps were dropping below 190 with all the vents open. Stuck a mini-thermocouple in and one read 180F and the other read 160F. Cleanup ensues

Results:
I think the ribs varied between okay just a little better than bad. The meat near the bones were mostly OK--not really that tender but not that tough either. The tips varied between really tender to somewhat dry and tough. I am betting a lot of it has to do with what was near the edges of the WSM as well as what was on top/bottom when they overlapped. I did not foil my ribs, and they spent most of the time in the same positions with a little overlap between each half rack.
I haven't actually eaten any of the shoulder, but they look fine. The 160F one is probably fine to be sliced but not pulled, and the 180F one can probably be pulled. Both have a noticeable smoke ring

My takeaways/thoughts:
  • Don't smoke in the winter. It was dark when I started and dark when I ended which sucks. Also it was either lightly raining or snowing the entire time
  • Get St Louis cut spares or back ribs to avoid overlapping. Or buy a rib rack
  • Use the cajunbandit coal ring. I had it but didn't use it and it's a fair amount larger than the stock one. Refilling is actually kind of a pain due to the size of the door and water pan.
  • Water pan does not need to be refilled nearly as aggressively as I was doing. I ended with a near-full pan.

Here's a pic of the 160F shoulder since it looks the nicest even if it may not be the best to eat

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 24, 2016

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Is there something like a maverick (remote display/alarm) that takes k-type thermocouples? I have the probes and an alarm to go with it, but it doesn't have a wireless receiver so i have to go outside to check it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

couldcareless posted:

Their meat alone is probably worth a membership. Their Kirkland brand stuff is usually fantastic and at a competitive price (we buy their laundry detergent, toilet paper, and liquor on the regular) plus they are just a good company to their employees. I'd strongly consider it. You pay double the cost of a membership a year on a Netflix sub

I'm pretty sure I save enough on gas alone to pay off the membership. Gas at costco tends to be ~20c cheaper than non-arco places around here so it's not that hard.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I have a few questions about WSM addons/mods:

- How do I do that thing where I can graph my meat/air temperature? I'm using a Thermoworks dual probe to monitor temp, but would like to see graphs especially for meat that's smoking overnight
- any good mods for temp control? Also related to wanting to smoke meat at night while I sleep

I have a 14.5, but there's an 18.5 coming as well

The guy who does the heatermeter stuff posts here sometimes. It looks like a cool project but I don't have the equipment to do it myself and don't want to buy it either

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Are beef ribs meaty enough that you can do them by temp?

You could probably do them if there's enough meat on top of the bone, like if you get plate ribs with a good 1-2 inches of meat you could probably do temp. Back ribs you usually can't because there isn't that much space between the bones and they're usually cut as close to the bone as possible so they can sell more as ribeye

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

To my surprise, costco ribs have 3 racks per package. These definitely do not fit flat on one grate of this wsm but I'm making it happen anyways.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ROJO posted:

It really depends on the pack you get. Sometimes I can get all three on even the lower rack, sometimes I struggle to fit three on the top rack.

Two of the racks are slightly overlapping and I have almost the entire top rack covered. The meat is probably too close to the air temp probe but whatever, it's pork ribs/shoulder what could go wrong

Edit: Barf, I think it's time to replace this maverick with a smoke or something. The probe I'm using for air temp is reading 50 degrees low in the smoker and was already 4 degrees off at room temp. I have a thermaq+probes but there's no remote for it and it's like $200 to get one with wifi/bluetooth

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 23, 2018

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

It hit 195F right around 11pm. It's resting on the counter now, and after about an hour's rest I'll give it the ol' icebath and get ready for tomorrow.

I've never let my pork butts hit 195 because I'm usually making it for the next day and I just pull at 5-6 hrs when the ribs i'm going to eat that day are done. That way I don't have a lot of clean up late at night or have to wake up at 4am to have a chance of making dinner. I just don't see the point of cooking it to tenderness if you aren't planning on eating it that day and are just going to crock pot it the next day.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Back ribs are great, they just usually don't have a lot of meat on them

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I've always wondered, how are you supposed to control temperatures when getting started? Usually I get the fire going and put the water pan in and let it get to around ~250 for 5-10 minutes before putting the meat on. After I put the meat on, the temperature usually struggles to get back over 200 degrees. Are you supposed to just leave the vents where they were or open them up to get back up to temp? I usually open the vents, but that ends up overshooting temp by a lot later when the meat and water are hotter.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

What are you using to smoke?

I'm using an 18.5 WSM

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Is the smoke X basically the signals except not wifi/bluetooth? I kinda want to replace my maverick with maybe a 3-probe setup, but I'd prefer the transmitter/receiver pair of a smoke over wifi/bluetooth of the signals. Being able to add fan control would be a bonus.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

ada shatan posted:

Fun fact - smoke will penetrate the shell. Last couple of times I did smoked eggs I just popped em raw in the smoker and let them sit there for a couple of hours.

Is there an easy way to tell if they're done, or at least a rough estimate of time at different temperatures? Smoked egg salad sounds pretty great right about now

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I don't remove the foil for all the reasons you ran into. You can just open up the foil so the top of the ribs are exposed and get basically the same effect. I've done both wrapped and unwrapped, and I prefer wrapped because the cartilage on spareribs gets softer more reliably when you wrap to get the braise/steaming. You can definitely still get the cartilage to the point where you can bite through it unwrapped, it just tends to be harder and for me less consistent.

As others have said 3-2-1 is probably too long to wrap, but it's a decent starting point for deciding what you want. I usually go closer to 1.5 in foil / end, but it mostly depends on if I remember to check the smoker in time

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

If anyone was wondering, costco (temporarily) raised beef prices because of corona impacting suppliers. The prime briskets are like $6 or $7 a pound right now. It's something .99 and I can't remember which and am too lazy to go downstairs and look

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

nwin posted:

What would normal price be?

I want to say like $4 a pound. I want to say that they were like $60-70 per brisket last time I bought one, now they're mostly 90+

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

:yum:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I would separate point and flat rather than cut it in half the long way--in fact I just always do that so I can actually fit it on my smoker.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Just keep an eye on prices, the seattle area costcos were at $6 a lb when I got mine last week if you are price sensitive. Cutting it into 3 pieces (2 pieces flat, 1 piece point) before cooking didn't turn out dry even without wrapping / water pan. I froze most of it and am eating it alone as well--basically brisket sandwich once a day for the last week now, and it's been fine. Obviously cold/reheated isn't quite as good as day of, but it was still worth it.

of course, if you're on the east side, I'd happily split a packer with you if you just don't want that much meat

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

While people are talking about american wagyu, I'd like to remind people that someone thought calling their beef "wangus" was a good idea

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Woah 16 hours is a long time. Mine finish in 8-10. I'm not going to say one is better than the other because I simply don't know.

200 degrees is pretty low, which is probably why

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

User Error posted:

Does anybody else separate the point and the flat before cooking? I did that last time and was done in 6 hours with great results although I kinda mangled it and ended up with 4 pieces. I cubed up the point and made a pile of burnt ends. UDS krew represent.

I always do this, it lets me trim more fat and get rub on more of the meat. Also it makes it easier to fit on the grill without cramming it between handles or whatever.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This doesn't mean anything except you're bad at your job.

I'm a health inspector. You're describing a perfect scenario for botulism. No oxygen, low heat and plenty of moisture to kill your friends.

Nobody tell the sous vide thread

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Whooping Crabs posted:

I'm a microbiologist, dumbass.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

This weekend was forecasted to have good weather, so I figured I'd get one last smoke in this year before the weather sucks. Ended up with a brisket, chuck roast, and a couple bone/skinless chicken thighs from costco. I was most excited about the chuck since the pack I picked up had pretty insane marbling compared to every other pack I saw when I went shopping, including the "american wagyu" costco apparently now carries.

Beef went on at ~5:45 am, and the chicken at 10 am. I had the chicken for lunch--it was fine but not as good as when I've done whole chickens. The charcoal ended up running out or at least stopped holding 225+ before the beef was done while I was out doing something, so I ended up finishing it in the oven.

Brisket

Chuck

A couple slices of chuck roast from the part with the large amount of intramuscular fat

The chuck was just as good as I had hoped. It's not cut against the grain, but even then it's incredibly tender and almost melts in my mouth. A+ would do again

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Is that....two containers of tonys on the counter? I like me some tonys but wow

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I've always heard people say to always go the largest bge/joe. If I was getting one, I would definitely get the big one. I wish I got the biggest WSM too since I make as much as I can whenever I smoke things and shove most of it in the freezer for later

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

I think wood burns too hot and can damage a smoker/grill. You should really only burn charcoal in there..

:thunk:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

It reheats fine and if you're going to spend 12 hours cooking a brisket you may as well do the whole thing. If you have a temp controller you're basically on easy mode. Reheating is the default for me since I usually do like 15-20 lbs of meat at a time and I'm usually cooking for 1-2. Depending on how you're reheating or using it later, you don't even really need to go all the way to 200 or whatever which also saves a ton of time pushing through th estall

That being said, I usually cut my briskets into 3 pieces so it's easier to deal with on the cutting board and easier to put into a side by side refrigerator.

On that note, did a brisket and chuck today. Apparently costco has american wagyu briskets now in addition to the other stuff. The quality of their wagyu meats seem to vary a lot--this time the chuck looked much worse than regular usda choice so i got that instead. I got the brisket because it was cheaper as a whole since it was smaller than the primes even at an extra $1/lb. Sure turned out well either way.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My question is, when you crutch meat, how do you monitor it? It doesn’t seem like I was able to get an accurate probe reading. Is this just me or just some weird fluke? Do you just go by time when you wrap it?

By sticking a probe in it like normal. You saw the temperature drop because once you unwrapped, the meat was again free to evaporate as much water as it wanted which takes heat with it.

see: https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/understanding-and-beating-barbecue-stall-bane-all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Pretty sure they're also labeled in addition to being able to see the cut through the clear packaging.. just to save you time, the pork belly is also sliced

Regular Costco here only had 2 types of short ribs. Boneless chuck and the kalbi cut ribs. Plate ribs are a business center only thing as far as I know