Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I bought a Brinkmann electric smoker recently and the first thing I tried was a brisket. I love brisket, being from Texas, but they just don't have it at bbq joints here in Mississippi. Big mistake. It was cooked, and had decent flavor and a decent smoke ring, but it was tougher than the bottom of my boots. I did a turkey last weekend and it turned out great.

Going to try a pork shoulder from my local butcher this weekend, probably following this and probably wrapping in foil when I get to 150 per this, which seems to be a very well written article about 'the stall', something I have definitely noticed in my very limited smoking career.

edit: my smoker didn't come with an ambient thermometer. Do you guys have any recommendations? I have a digital probe thermometer, but I want something to tell me what the temp of the smoker is.

Foiling @150-160 works well. For a 7 pound shoulder, I'd use maybe half a cup of apple juice mixed with a bit of rub. Take it out of the foil at about 190-200 and let the bark crisp up a bit by smoking it naked.

As far as ambient temps, the cheapest way would be to get an NSF certified oven thermometer (the kind with a big dial and a metal body) and put it on the same rack as your meat. If you want to get fancy, Maverick makes a good probe thermometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Yeah, the brisket was a bad choice. The turkey I did last weekend turned out really good. These thermos are out of my budget right now (I paid like $60 or so for the smoker itself), so I'm probably going to get an oven thermometer like Mach420 is talking about. If I drop some money into a thermometer I want it to be able to do the graphing and stuff that has been posted in this thread.

Yea, the fancy stuff is definitely fun to play with, but unless you want computer graphs or the ability to wirelessly monitor the temps from a base station inside the house while the smoker is outside, a 4 or 5 dollar oven thermo or long stem fryer thermo are all you actually need.

If you have a smoker without a glass window, I would suggest drilling a small hole into the side of your smoker just below the food grate level, and using a long stem fryer thermo. Otherwise, you'd have to open the smoker to see your temps, and that's bad. Only use a stand-up oven thermo if you have a smoker with a see thru window like some electrics have, or have some way of seeing the thermo without opening it.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 2, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Efresh posted:

Cheers, that tip with the brick is especially good. How do you stop the meat say a pork butt or brisket from burning on the side nearest the fire? Also, do you put a water pan in there anywhere for a long cook?

If you keep it far enough away, it shouldn't be a problem. Another option is to get a steel or aluminum sheet and shape a firewall with it with some holes for the smoke to pass. Or just stack some more bricks. The lid vent should be on the meat side. If you keep having problems, you may have to flip the thing you're smoking a few times during the cook.

Lots of people use water pans with kettles. Just put a aluminum pan with water on the charcoal grate underneath the meat side.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 20, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Efresh posted:

Thanks guys...it's shame not to use this weber smokey mountain but cleaning the water pan and charcoal are highly inconvenient on the 7th floor. I will try doing some pulled pork in the kettle next time and see how it goes.

Re: the WSM, you can foil the water pan, or do what some have done and go without the water pan, subbing sand or a big foiled terra cotta plate for heat regulation. A big 22 kettle is perfectly fine for a shoulder or chicken. The WSM is definitely preferred for bulk smoking, bigger items, or things that take a long time, since you can almost just set and forget it and have it go for half a day on that big shoulder or brisket.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

PainBreak posted:

I'm using the "A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker."

Those things look pretty cool. I want one for smoking cheeses and fish.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

The Midniter posted:

This may be a dumb question but what's the difference between an electric smoker and the manual kind as pictured in Mackieman's post above? How does an electric smoker even work?

An electric smoker uses heating elements while the normal ones use wood, charcoal or (ugh) propane. In an electric, the wood chunks are placed near the heating element in a way that they start giving off smoke. The majority of the heat is from the heating element. I still don't know why electrics don't give good smoke rings, but there you go.

Thanks for posting that cheese smoking resource. I'll give it a go this next winter.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Mackieman posted:

Based on my observations from my buddy's electric smoker, my supposition is that the smoke is simply not thick enough in most cases to impart the ring. It adds flavor to be sure, but the standard wood burning smoker like mine completely fills the main cavity with smoke, the pressure built by the heat causing it to move through and up out of the smoke stack. The meat gets a much more, "even" smoke via this method while the temperature is variable, whereas the electric smoker provides a much more precise cooking environment where temperature is concerned.

Yea, the combination of wood/charcoal combustion products as well as the smoke wood itself is probably why. It's been warm as heck this past week, so it's time to bring out the Smokey Joe mini-WSM conversion and get some nice pulled pork. I need to pick up an injection needle from the farm store and I'll be good to go. After cooking a few injected shoulders last year, I will not go back to shoulders that have only been dry rubbed.

By the way, this is a great read on how to get a good smoke ring. There's also another nice article on that site explaining the stall.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 26, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Cyborganizer posted:

Glad to hear I'm not alone in this. To report on my first "smoking" experience...

People say that the smoke and flavor is mostly all absorbed in the first 4 hours or so. Anything after that only makes the outside of the meat darker. There's also a bigger temp range than the standard 225. As long as it's approx 225 to 275 or so, the pork will turn out fine, and 275 will finish a LOT faster too, esp if you foil it.

Hearing how it took so long even with foiling makes me think that your grill and oven temps are possibly reading low. It may have been your particular chunk of meat, but test your grill and oven with a calibrated thermo, because a 5 pounder shouldn't normally take that long if you did the foiling. I also hoped that the foil packaging was sealed up relatively tight.

It always feels hectic the first time, but it can get almost to the point of set and forget once you know about the stuff to worry about and what not to. Don't chase the temps around trying to maintain the "perfect" 225. 225-275 is fine. You'll get used to the "flow" after a few smokes, and it will be almost set and forget with an hourly check on the smoker.

As far as wood chips go, if your tray can use chunks and still give off acceptable smoke, do that. Lasts longer, less monitoring.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

AxeBreaker posted:

I've been reading a lot of sites that suggest the water heater cover or welding blanket ideas, although those are more for efficiency than temperature control. Personally, I went for the lazy/overkill idea of getting a DigiQ to deal with the constant Vegas wind.

The new PartyQ is a lot cheaper and would do the same thing.

There are a ton of suggestions for enclosures on https://www.virtualweberbullet.com as well.
http://amazingribs.com/ has suggestions too, including a link to harbor freight welding blankets like you mentioned.

Right. Blankets are more for efficiency. If you are having temperature swings, make a windbreak out of a few sheets of plywood or something that blocks the wind some.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

coronaball posted:

On the topic of the WSM, I'm trying to decide between the 18.5 vs. the 22 inch version. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the 18.5 since I rarely cook for more than 6-8 people, haven't ever really tried anything huge like a whole pork shoulder (and I'm not even sure I could find enough people to eat it), and because I've heard the 22 uses quite a bit more charcoal and has a little more trouble regulating temp. I'm just wondering if there's anything I'm missing.

I've done a whole pork shoulder (boston butt) on a 14.5 inch Weber Smokey Joe conversion. I can only imagine you needing a 22 inch smoker if you're doing huge packer briskets or multiple racks of ribs for a big occasion.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

I have a wsm and a 3lb salmon fillet. Virtual Weber says its hard to get the wsm low enough. Should I just go at 250 for an hour or two?

Bring it up to temp real slow, start shutting off vents within 50F of your target temperature, and maybe layout your coals in the charcoal basket with a can in the middle, so that they burn in a big ring around the wsm. That'll help keep temps under control.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
They also make smoker blankets to keep the heat in if you can't get the temp quite high enough. However, I think that with enough active charcoal and some sort of windbreak, it wouldn't be a problem at all. Just be prepared to use more charcoal than usual.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

coronaball posted:

Holy poo poo I have a brand new WSM and it's cooking these ribs at almost 275. How do I get this temp down? I've got the vents almost closed.

edit: Well I closed almost all of em and now it went down to 200. This will take a little practice

The thing to do is to catch the temperatures on the way up. You want to start backing the vents down at 175 if you're looking to hit 225. It's really hard to bring the temperature back down after you've hit 300, and the thing will tend to start making lovely thick white smoke if you try to lower temps like that too quickly. It does take a bit of practice, but doing it this way really helps.

Also, how are you doing your coals? Do you light them all and put them all into the basket, as the WSM instructions state, or are you using what's called the "minion method," where you have a basket of unlit coals and you put about 10 lit coals on top of it, letting the coals light and burn down over several hours? The minion method is good for getting lower temps at the start.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
All of the <4lb butts that I've ever cooked have come out pretty bad compared to the big ones.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

MasterControl posted:

give butcher paper a shot instead of Tin foil if your feeling adventurous. helps keep the bark better in my experience

Interesting technique with the butcher paper. I'm always disappointed by my foiled bark, so would you think parchment paper would also work? And also, how do you wrap it up? Tight like foil or looser?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

rocket_man38 posted:

Well My work has an employee purchase program for the egg. If I spent $500 I would get a large egg, nest, egg mates and grill grippers. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it so I got a Weber Smokey Mountain grill instead. I tried to cook ribs, but 6 hours was way too much! What should I do for steaks? Would 1 hour be enough?

No, you don't smoke steaks, per se. Steaks are lean meat and don't tenderize with long, slow heat like tough cuts such as brisket or pork shoulders do. You'll turn your steak into a tough, dry brick if you try to smoke it at 225.

You want to cook steaks as you would on a normal grill, with ultra high heat and searing, leaving the inside medium rare, if that's how you like it. Add a bit of smoke wood to the coals and use the cover if you want that smoky taste.

More details here: http://virtualweberbullet.com/grilling.html

As for the ribs, 4-6 hours is par for the course if you want to do it the traditional way, both on the Weber and the Egg. You can cut down time if you are in a hurry and don't care about breaking tradition, like this: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/rendezvous_ribs_in_a_hurry.html

Oh, and thanks Mastercontrol, I'll try it out with the parchment paper, since it should be essentially the same thing.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 21, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Parchment paper instead of foil verdict: Fantastic. The bark turned out WAY better than foiling did. Not quite as good as 13 hours naked, but it wasn't a soggy wet mess like the foil always made it.

I wrapped my butt in parchment semi-loose, completely covered, and held it in place with a couple of toothpicks. The difference has to be that the parchment paper was somewhat loose fitting and wasn't totally form fitting and airtight like foil is. It spent about 4 hours in the paper, out of 13 hours total, and came out great, if a bit greasy on the bottom from soaking in it. My entire cook was at 300F measured at grate level. I love my little Smoker Joe conversion. It kept steady temps the whole time and only had to adjust the vents twice.

The only downside compared to foil is that there is no tasty au jus to mix with the pulled meat. Foil will usually give me 3/4 cup of juice after separating it from the grease, but the parchment only gives a big puddle of pure grease. No matter. I just boiled up some apple juice with some rub and mixed that in. Almost as good, and I'd gladly make that compromise for the bark quality.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 23, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

xcdude24 posted:

For those of you with Weber grills, how do you like to get the heat of the grill down to the 225-250 range? I just added a full chimney, with all of the coals on one half of the grill. I had a drip pan on the other side, I couldn't get the temperature on the indirect side below 350, even with the bottom vent all the way closed. Is the solution less coals? I've heard some people like to get lower temperatures by adding half a chimney's worth a coals.

I'd imagine some variation of the minion method with a kettle. It's hard to get the temperature down on a full load of lighted coals.

I'd try starting off with 10 lit coals, putting them in a compact pile that touches your main pile of unlit coals, and let the burn slowly migrate to the other side. Keep the bottom vent open until you hit 180F, then close the vent off more and more as it nears your target temp.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Niagalack posted:

I have a huge backyard shed, I am thinking of moving my BBQ in there for winter. Would it be appropriate or I am stupid of even thinking of doing that? I want to keep smoking stuff trough the winter. Tomorow is pulled pork time woooh!

You want to have a good amount of clearance for the top and sides of the cooker, good air ventilation, and you will definitely want to be sure that any coals, if you're not using a gas smoker, will not fall on the floor and start a fire. There are mats that you can buy that are fireproof. Remember that coals put out a ton of carbon monoxide.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Niagalack posted:

Thank you for the advice, it is a gas BBQ and there is plenty of clearance on the side. I will have to check for the top tough.

Remember the saying - "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." You'll want a few good fire extinguishers rated for grease fires. Keep the area very clear of any flammable debris. Also, a lot of grease will drip off of something like a shoulder or brisket. If that happens to catch on fire somehow, you will have a serious problem with a big fire, first off, and a big propane tank that can explode if you can't wheel that BBQ out of the barn or control the fire.

I still DON'T think it's the wisest of ideas, but you'll have to make the decision on whether to take that risk of burning that barn down along with personal injury to you or others. You never know if or when something will go wrong.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
You can also cook at a higher temperature. I've been doing mine at 275-300F, so it cooks much faster. 7 pounders finish in about 12 hours. The disadvantage is that at those temperatures, rubs with lots of sugar tend to blacken a bit too much as the sugar caramelizes. Foiling with aluminum or parchment is also another good trick to speed it up.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
With a Weber, you'll be hounding it a lot for the first few smokes until you have an idea of what you're doing. After you get a feel for it, you can let it run for hours without messing with it.

The only real work is the first hour, when you light the coals, load up the smoker with them, and wait for it to come to temperature and produce the right "thin blue smoke." So, I'll look at the temp guage from the window maybe every 10 minutes and adjust the vents. I'll throw a pork shoulder on, come back in 15 minutes to check the temperature and make any vent adjustments. I'll take a look at the smoker every couple of hours from then on. Just a glance at the temp gauge is all that's needed. That, or I take a 4 hour nap since I hate mornings.

Once you get a feel for it, you don't have to do much. It's only the first few cooks when you're learning fire control and are totally anxious that you will feel like you have to monitor the darn thing continuously. A lot of people will even set it up at 9 or 10 at night, get the temperature stable, then go to bed for 8 hours so they could have pulled pork for lunch.

Stick burners, where you throw in wood logs and stuff require a lot of hands on monitoring and tweaking, but a weber bullet using briquettes or good lump charcoal is just autopilot.

As for the kamado, it's not a real BGE. It's an off-brand. You'll want to look for cracks and to see whether it comes with the big flat ceramic plate that allows for indirect cooking/smoking. I'll leave it to someone with actual kamado experience to chime in here.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 4, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Choadmaster posted:

The AMNPS instructions said the same thing about adjusting the vents and stuff to produce "thin blue smoke." gently caress me if I can tell the difference for all the fiddling I did. It seemed to smoke the same no matter what. Can anyone with experience with the AMNPS and the electric Masterbuilt give me some hints as to what to do and what to look for?

As far as thin blue smoke, you're looking for smoke that looks like the smoker on the right side. See how it's tinged blue in the light and is much thinner. Oftentimes the smoke will be so thin that you can't see it well at all. The left smoker will possibly make BBQ that is bitter from creosote and is making ugly white smoke, and clouds of it. Not good. More is not always better.

Generally, if the fire is starved of oxygen or you're using uncured wood, it'll produce white or gray smoke. If you have too much O2 or the fire is too hot, the smoke wood will catch on fire. I don't know how electrics really work, but the general procedure for charcoal smokers is to leave the exhaust fully open, while adjusting the intake vents only.

Choadmaster posted:

My issue is they didn't really come out particularly tender. Pulling two ribs apart by hand was doable but not easy. The meat did not come cleanly off the bones when eating it, either. The recipe said 3-4 hours for baby backs, but using the bend test also described on that site the ribs didn't seem to be "ready" until nearly 5 hours in (they were somewhat thicker than usual so I wasn't too surprised at the time). Perhaps I should even have waited a little longer; or could the same problem be caused by overcooking them? I know it's impossible to diagnose someone's cooking issues like this but I welcome opinions anyway.

Lastly, I'm going to try some beef ribs next. If anyone has any tips or awesome recipes please let me know! (Thanks!)

That sounds slightly undercooked. Fall off the bone ribs are considered overcooked by enthusiasts. The meat turns into mush, and there's no snappy/crisp feel in the meat while chewing. Perfectly cooked ribs are tender, but will still stick to the bones a little bit as well as having a slight crispness/snappiness to the meat. Truly undercooked ribs will leave a lot of connective tissue still there, be very crisp, will be hard to chew, and you'll be picking strands of it out of your teeth.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 8, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Stringent posted:

An axe, a chisel and wikipedia?

Right. If you can get trees that produce fruit that you'd eat, you can chop a branch for wood. It'll be green wood and won't smoke as good, sure, but it'll get you by. Try to heat up the smoke wood while you're cooking and it'll be even better (ie. chunks by the side of your heat source, such that it'll get it pretty damned hot but not smoking or on fire.) That'll dry it up real nice and you can throw the chips on as necessary.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

coronaball posted:

This ended up quite interesting. Found one of those hickory smoking kits that people put inside of gas grills to do a half-rear end smoke and dumped the poo poo inside with the pellets. Everything was going great for about 3 or 3.5 hours but then we noticed that we'd ran out of pellets. when we reloaded the thing, the pellets somehow ran into the grill itself and caught on fire, belching out a thick white acrid smoke. We rescued the ribs and threw em in the oven at 220 for about 75 minutes. And despite all the craziness and with more dumb luck than anything, the finished ribs had like a competition BBQ texture to them, bite marks and everything. Every single rib was consumed.

On a more disgusting topic: what does everyone do with the water bowl from their WSM after a cook? I've been dumping it in my sideyard but it's beginning to smell rather awful after a full summer of smoking stuff. The water evaporates but the fat and crap just kind of sits there, and it's still smelling weeks later.

You should line the water pan with aluminum foil. That way, after your cooks, you can just lift it up out of the water bowl and wrap up all the oil or dump the cooled oil into an old milk jug or something to that effect.

Be careful not to puncture the foil though, because the capillary effect will draw water up over the edge and make it drip onto your coals.

You can also go waterless, with a big foiled terracotta plate, sand, or rocks.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 17, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Stringent posted:

What's so great about it?

Basically it fits better and maintains its shape, compared to the flimsy stock door. Bob, the best thing you could do is get a notebook and log your cook. Temps, fuel amounts, temp of the meat, vent adjustments, etc. It really helps you get the feel for your smoker after a couple runs. Also, avoid opening the lid and looking if you can help yourself.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Has anyone ever tried smoking a beef cross rib roast? It has that thick line of gummy cartilage running through the middle of it, but i'm worried about the lack of fat and the 2 pound size of it. I'd posted my adventures with 3 or 4 pound Boston butts earlier in the thread, so I'm very leery of smoking small pieces of meat because they almost always dry out for me.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

qutius posted:

Those are generally best braised, not smoked or roasted in a dry heat.

Thanks, I usually use those for stews, but I figured it was worth a question.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Hell yea, that looks great!

Brining and marinading doesn't do much in my experience, and that of most others, for shoulders and other big round chunks of meat. You want to use a marinade needle and inject that bad boy, leaving it overnight. That gets the flavor in there.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Bob Mundon posted:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

Was going to try that this weekend, what types of wood have you guys had success with? I've got some apple wood, but also have access to Mesquite and Hickory. Was thinking some apple wood, then a chunk or two of the others, or will brisket take a full load of stronger wood just fine?

I like apple/cherry + hickory for pork, and mesquite for beef.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Thank you for the recipe. Those pictures had me drooling.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

I smoked a pork shoulder once in my smoker and it turned out really bad, like I did not eat it and threw it out. The smoke taste was overpowering with a metallic taste to it. I used sticks of applewood from some random young apple tree my parents are growing in their yard.

Did I smoke it too much perhaps (I had smoke going the whole cooking time), I am wondering if I should have stopped the smoking at 2hrs or so, and maybe wrapped it in foil for the remainder? Or maybe the wood was no good, I don't got any big chunks from aged applewood which I believe would be best, only scrawny sticks.

What was the smoke like? Was it thin, blue smoke (as seen in sunlight) or was it big thick clouds of grayish white smoke?

Also, bark smoke, which sticks have a lot of, generally don't taste too great. And yea, the wood being quite green probably didn't help either.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

TenjouUtena posted:

The very middle was a bit dry and a but tough still. The outside was excellent. My smoke ring was between 3/4 and 1 inch.

I'm thinking about doing a brine next time. And I definitely need to rub at least 24 hours in advance. I also probably need to rub a bit thicker.

vvv I don't use a stick burner or anything. I keep a fire going for 14 hours.

It was dry and tough because it didn't quite reach the correct temperature. Let it hit 190-200F.

Jonathan, the ribs were wrapped in what? You might not need to wrap it.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They came out tough and sooty. He also had a pan of water in there because someone said to.

I think he had the heat way too high, probably had the meat on too soon, and god knows what else. These things were awful.

edit: To keep the heat down, I guess keep the bottom vent closed?

The smoke's taste was the thick white smoke. Thin blue is what you want, and you get that with properly seasoned wood burning at the right temperature. Thin blue is tasty. Thick white, dark gray, and dark yellow smoke are nasty, nastier, and nastiest, in that order.

I see you're using coals, so try adding the wood earlier, then let the wood "cook" for a little while. That'll dry it out some and gives it time to release all the nasty stuff that makes for white smoke. After it dies down to thin blue smoke, put your meat on.

My general workflow for a weber smokey mountain style smoker is basically...

1. Start off about 10-15 briquettes or the equivalent in lump charcoal in a chimney.
2. Throw a mix of wood chunks and charcoal into the charcoal basket. An 8 pound pork shoulder needs smoke wood chunks equal to two small closed fists in my experience. Have 1 chunk of wood level with the top of the coal pile and the other chunks buried at various depths inside the coal pile. If you have a vertical smoker, read up on the minion method of lighting a coal pile. This is what I do.
3. Charcoal chimney's going good. Dump it on top of the pile of charcoal.
4. Vents wide open, intake and exhaust. Watch the temperature after a few minutes. You will probably be getting thick white or grayish smoke at this point. I also add the water pan at this point.
5. As it starts nearing 180-200F, start closing the intake vent to begin your temperature control. It's better to let it get up to temp slowly then to overshoot and try to bring it down from 300F. Stay by the smoker and look at the thermometer every 5 minutes. Close the vents down more and more as you get closer to temp.
6. About half an hour to 45 minutes after adding the lit charcoal, your pit should be close to the proper temperature and the smoke should be thinning out and turning blue. Once this happens, put the food on. The smoke may turn thick white again because you opened the bbq, but don't worry. It should thin itself back to blue after a while as long as you don't keep opening the thing up to peek at the food.
7. After this, I check grate temperatures every hour or so. Maybe give the coals a stir after several hours to knock off the ash, etc.

As far as my suggestions, try and get some chunk wood instead of chips. They're so much easier to use. Fist size is good.

Water pan is good for temperature control. If your fire is a 300F fire, the water pan will help keep it around 225 or so. It's a decent crutch to use if your fire control isn't quite there yet. You want to find the smallest intake vent setting that will maintain your temperature. If you want to smoke above 225F, like chicken, for example, take out the water pan or you won't get the temps you need.

On that note, your pit temp will drop when you put in your cold food. You could leave it alone and accept it or you can temporarily bump the vents open a bit more to make up for that, but then again, an hour or two later, you could have a fire that's going too hot if you don't watch it. Your choice.

Most important thing is to give it some time to warm up. Don't rush the preheat and your BBQ will come out much better, and the fire will be of a better quality too.

You can't unsmoke something that's too smokey. You want to go easy on the smoke wood until you get a feel for how much smokiness you prefer.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 6, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
I said something dumb. If you need to smoke chicken, say at 325-350F, don't take out the water pan. Leave it there but don't put any water in it. Happy smoking!

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Crazy Dutchman posted:

Some people will put a container, like a disposable pie pan, to collect drippings (not just for chicken, either).

Yea, that's a fantastic way to make delicious BBQ baked beans from pulled pork drippings. The juice can also be mixed back into whatever you're smoking if they come out a bit bland and dry for whatever reason.

McSpankWich posted:

So a guy down the street from my moms house cut down a giant oak tree he had and gave me a huge thing of firewood cut logs and things.

What do I need to do to it to be able to smoke with it? Do I have to take off the bark or otherwise prepare it somehow? Can I just toss it in a tree chipper?

Strip the bark off and let it sit around in a covered, warm and dry place for a few months to get rid of the water in the wood. At that point, it'll be seasoned firewood and be good to go.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 6, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Sticky, gummy and resinous smoke tar in all of the sliding rails and rollers. It sounds like a nightmare after the first few smokes. At some point, you'll close it up, and once it cools, you won't be able to open it again once the tar cools and hardens. You'll also have to get all of the paint off somehow, and that doesn't sound like any fun.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
I'll second the RT600C or the RT301WA (the one that I have). Made by Thermoworks, super fast response time and durable. The Thermapen is great, but the price is ridiculous. These cheaper thermometers are 95% of what the Thermapen is. They just aren't pocketable like the Thermapen because you can't just flip the metal probe part into the casing so you have to be a bit careful while carrying it around.