Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I did 8 full racks of ribs on my 18" WSM no problem. Could have probably done 10 or 12 if I had a second rib rack. I also have done it exactly once since I've had it. That many racks isn't cheap.

Go for the bigger one if you want, but I am completely happy with the 18". If I was to ever upgrade it would be to a BGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Foiling takes 5 minutes and is a nice way to pass the time while the charcoal starter does it's thing.

Also with the 18.5" one you can get an 18" wide roll of foil which makes it very easy

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Now, one thing I still have big questions about. I did an experiment with short ribs and decided I prefer cooking them to 200° (150° was definitely juicier but way more stringy). However, compared with short ribs I've gotten at BBQ joints mine seem to come out relatively dry and not as tender. I tried a second batch over the weekend that I mopped every 45 minutes or so, and that didn't seem to affect the dryness (or even the flavor much that I could tell).

What am I doing wrong? Should I cook them to more than 200°? (I've seen 210° mentioned some places.) Less? Lots of water in the water pan?

200 degrees? Yikes! Try about 175. 155-160 is usually the safe temperature so be careful!

There's so much more to smoking ribs than internal temperature. How long did you smoke them for? What temperature? How much did they weigh? How many times did you open the top (this reduces the heat)?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, 16 dollars shipping on that door is outrageous. I would like to get one, though :( The price to ship 4 is $20. I don't know why one that is $16 is so much.

I don't see the extensions, though? you sure they were on cajunbandit?

Also I never use the water pan for anything but a grease collector. I foil it and I don't fill it with water. I don't have too much of a problem maintaining temps but I also live in a very temperate climate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I clicked on mods and it's not listed there. It's for the 22" anyways. Oh well, I'm dumb, thanks!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

$500 for a demo large BGE? Wow I am jealous.

Giving brisket a try today. 8lb using the Franklin method. We'll see how it compares, probably won't be close. I like my pulled pork and my ribs but am more nervous about this than other smokes

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Huge_Midget posted:

Let the year of meat begin!

Anyone have suggestions for brands/places to buy hardwood charcoal and hardwood pieces for smoking?

I hate Walmart but they've got royal oak hardwood charcoal for like 6/ bag. That's what I use.

Also get a chimney starter. And ignore Alton brown and just get the paraffin starter cubes. The oil + newspaper is a pain and ashy, the 20 cents you save isn't worth it in my opinion.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

demonachizer posted:

When I first opened this thread I thought it was a joke thread like the margarita machines in GBS but all the cool gadgets and poo poo are real. This is pretty cool stuff.

If I wanted to spend max 1500 on a setup what would I be looking at for my best options? Is the BGE the de facto winner over all? Would that budget allow me to get a complete setup with all the gadgets I could need?

$1500 will get you in the door with a new large BGE with nest and other poo poo, or a used XL BGE with nest and other poo poo from an Eggfest. However there's plenty of gadgets from auto temp controls, plate setters, racks, etc. $1500 would go a long way but I don't think you need that to start.

Seconding the 18.5" WSM. Learn on that with different woods, rubs, charcoals and meats and add gadgets next year depending on what you learn this year. It's like $250 so if you decide to upgrade you're not out that much and you can probably sell it on Craigslist for a good chunk of that.

Mastered temp setting and getting lazy / want finer temp control? Get The Stoker / BBQ Guru Wireless
Want to expand beyond BBQ and get into high heat pizzas / other crazy poo poo? Get a used BGE from an Eggfest in your area
Need more room? Get a standing rib rack (you might want to get this early if you want to have a bigger 4th of July party, etc)

And with that kind of budget left you can really get some nice cuts of meat. It's probably my area but there's a local butcher here that is very pricy but has the best, never frozen ribs from 100% pastured, local pigs I've ever purchased that cooked up ridiculously nice. If I had unlimited funds I'd get my meat from them exclusively as it made a difference. But not like you need that to make kick rear end BBQ, and certainly not to learn on.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Between this thread and the product recommendation thread I think California just sucks. I would drive pretty far for a 500-625 BGE.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That looks pretty good. My only comment is:

A 22" weber for a 3lb shoulder? Use that extra room! Get one bone in, throw a party, and take this to the next level

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cornface posted:

Don't be afraid to experiment with how you cook ribs. They are fairly forgiving, and 3-2-1 can result in overcooking them if you aren't careful.

I've had the best results with no foil, leaving them on between 225-250 grate temp for around four hours until they start to probe fairly tender, and then saucing them and opening up the vents for another 15 minutes or so.

I've had similar experiences. 3-2-1 definitely resulted in overcooked ribs for me more often than not, but when ribs are overcooked they fall off the bone which most people like so it's not like it's ruined.

EDIT: I've never seen an imitation BGE do everything the BGE does well, but I haven't exactly messed with a ton of them.

What is everyone's favorite recipe for North Carolina vinegar based sauce?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

LTBS posted:

I've always used Ruhlman's recipe (http://ruhlman.com/2012/02/east-carolina-barbecue-recipe/) and it is loving good. Everyone loves it and it scales really well.

Thanks, maybe the fish sauce is what is missing.

I went to Costco to check out their BGE imitation. It's definitely not as nice as the BGE. At half the cost I'd want to cook on one before buying. Although with their return policy I guess it's pretty low risk if you can stomach being "that guy" and returning a 90lb grill.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Welp, smoked a little tri tip after work in my Weber -- and the neighbor saw it starting up (with lots of white smoke) and called LAFD.

On the plus side, they rolled a sweet swivel ladder truck and an engine and I got to talk about smoking meats with the captain. He even nailed the type of wood I was using and has a Traeger pellet smoker and a Komado cooker at home. They also used the building for training some new guy by putting him on the roof and showing him where to look for different things.

I think I'm gonna smoke them a few pork shoulders and take it over there in the next few weekends. It totally wasn't my fault they got called and by the time they got there the meat was on and it was the gorgeous perfect smoke and smelled delicious, but I still feel bad. And being on the westside of LA I doubt they have many people BBQin for them.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 25, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, for sure. The LAFD website was down but I'm going to contact them beforehand to make sure it's the right crew and to coordinate. I cant drop 20lbs of pulled pork with no notice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Scott Bakula posted:

I ended up going for a pork shoulder. For some reason I've just not been able to get the temperature past 200F. I think probably because its really windy and the wind is quite cold. I plan on sticking the shoulder in the oven for 3-4 hours to make sure its totally cooked so I can eat it at a reasonable time.

What smoker is this?

What charcoal are you using and how are you lighting it?

Usually people new to smoking have a problem keeping temps low. A grill not heating up is usually an easy problem to fix unless its electric.

Also what is a reasonable amount of time? Pork shoulder is one of those that can benefit from smoking an "unreasonable" amount of time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, I usually do my shoulders 12+ hrs if they're 10lb or more bone in. So eating today is kinda relative to when you want to get up and start it. But you should be able to get that smoker hot enough.

I would recommend lump charcoal over briquettes if you are having problems. They seem to produce less ash and the heat and burn is very consistent. I like royal oak from Walmart

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I hope you snagged a thermapen. That's really all you need.

Season the grill by smoking a bunch of stuff. Clean it, run a full cycle of heat in it as hot as your can and start smokin. You gotta start somewhere. The BBQ I put in when my grill was new was delicious. It's something that takes time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Perfect spot. You can have a smoker and a La Caja China there too.

I guess $130 is ok for a temp probe, but when it gets that high I have a hard time just not talking myself into a Wifi Stoker. At least with the Thermapen I can use it for the rest of my cooking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Astronaut Jones posted:

Or, the HeaterMeter that a few of us have built (which kicks the WiFi Stoker's rear end.) :)

welp, project time. Did you grab a case from one of the TVWBB guys?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I use lump charcoal exclusively. Cheap, good flavor, no additives and less ash. It's the only reason I go to wal mart.

Can't wait to build this heatermeter.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Found a semi-local BGE dealer going out of business.

Niss and those who have one, what's a fair offer on a large? He tried to sell me one for 1100 with nest, wings, ash tool and 20lb charcoal and I laughed at him. He said to make him an offer.

I don't really want the nest as I'd like to build a table.

Thoughts?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

niss posted:

If its new I wouldn't go any higher than $800 at the most. 1100 is crazy. I guess it all depends on how badly he wants to get rid of his stock. Make sure he throws in a plate setter as well.

Yeah. I don't want any of the accessories mostly because I am going to build a table. Plate setter, etc i can buy anytime.

I will probably offer 550 for just the egg considering I will have to schlep to get it and set it up myself. I suspect he will say no and that'll be that.

Edit: and LOL this guy went off the hinges when I offered 700 for just the egg.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 22, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

niss posted:

Try back in a week or two when he is more desperate for cash.

The guy actually got really confrontational and combative, I actually don't trust the guy to tell me to drive down and then not show or not sell it to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A standing rib rack let me smoke like 6 racks in my 18.5" WSM. It may have been 8, with 2 flat on the top rack and the rib rack on the bottom rack.

I had no problems with temp, I ahd to adjust vents a little higher and I added a little more smoke wood but they tasted great.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I broke that dealer's will to live and the BGE comes home today. I beat the used egg fest price by over 200 dollars so I am pretty happy.

Building a table too.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Maybe I'm crazy but to eat at 3 I would start it earlier and wrap it up if it was done early. 14lbs is no joke.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

For what it's worth I recommend getting the Weber fire starter blocks. Newspaper is so ashy, the fire starter blocks are cheap. Makes it a lot easier to me.

I hate to say it but combo units like that are usually just mediocre at 2 things and not great at anything. Holding specific temps is going to take a lot of time to understand where each vent needs to be set. If you were at 400f with all vents closed and lid closed, you have air leaking in somewhere. Figure out where that is.

Also don't open the top so much if you are as it raises the temp every time.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

niss posted:

I just got that same Maverick setup this past weekend, and I am really happy with it so far. Only done one cook with it, doing another today but it worked great. Very pleased with it.

Why this over the Heatermeter?

Also building a table for the BGE is no joke. I am exhausted and I just finished cutting and putting together, yet less sanding & standing. and I gotta find an 18" paver, locally only 16" were easy to find

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Safety Engineer posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any particular brand of lump charcoal that is better than most? I got a Vision Kamado from costco a few months ago that I've been putting through the paces(It's friggin awesome btw) and I've mostly used Cowboy or Royal Oak and I'm just not 100% happy with either.

Cowboy is pretty bad.

Royal Oak has some of the very best reviews. Actually pulled from the same pile as BGE, the big pieces go to BGE for a huge markup, the rest go to Royal Oak. Why are you not happy with it?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Digital_Jesus posted:

I use Dragons Breath: http://dragonbreathcharcoal.com

Fantastic stuff. Never lets me down. Otherwise if I'm feeling lazy or run low on dragon's I just use kingsford. Meh.

If you can find this get this

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 4, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I wiped it down, smoked some bacon, then got to work with a pork butt

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What size BGE? My perspective is skewed because they are more expensive out west.

Out here 890 with tax for a used once large egg with nest + wings is the cheapest you'll find. And that sale happens once per year at the SoCal eggfest. It took me looking literally for years to find a place going out of business to beat that price.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Egghead forums love Eggs By The Bay -- their Eggfest is this weekend but sold out and they only have L and XLs. Not sure how their prices will compare though.

This one on Craigslist isn't too bad: http://sanfrancisco.craigslist.org/eby/for/3848605753.html . A little pricy if you can get him down, but including the nest and everything is nice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Keep looking. I paid less than 600 before tax for a new large. Then no nest and a table nest for 32.

Built a full table for less than 120.

(I finally got really lucky and you probably won't be able to reproduce this)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why not just get a heatermeter or something equivalent for your WSM if you want something set it an forget it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't find brisket to be simple at all, but that's just me. I find it to be the most difficult.

That many people seems difficult to do ribs for as well just in sheer numbers.

If you're comfortable with an overnight smoke, pulled pork is easy to make a large qty. it'll turn out good and if its not just slather in BBQ an slaw.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Baby backs are too lean. Go spare ribs!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Looks good, I think maintaining temp on your stick burner a little better would help you out. I don't ever brine my pork shoulder. I save that for birds.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

ixo posted:

Any reviews for or against the iGrill? I have an old dual probe maverick that is giving me grief, and I'm looking to try another brand. Being able to check temps on a phone that I'm carrying anyway is appealing.

I'm a BGE owner as of this past father's day, but I've just been grilling on it due to not wanting to pay $100+ for the plate setter at the store. Ordered it online, once it gets here I'll start posting my results!

Check out the ceramic grill store online. Maybe their spider product is what you're looking for?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cook 2 racks, one her way and one your way. Bonus: leftovers.

Also I find I can fake the shellacked sauce by warming the sauce beforehand, applying at the very end and turning the heat up to speed caramelization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cheapest option for the BGE is Craigslist. If not there than a local egg fest or a BBQ place desperate and going out of business.

That being said I've been doing a lot of slow smoking but tonight taking it easy and doing burgers. The BGE rules at both and giving a nice little smoky taste to those. It's really pretty awesome.

Also I wouldn't go smaller than a medium and am happy I got my large.