Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

CuddleChunks posted:

:ohdear: Please hold me, I'm going to try and smoke a pork butt this weekend. Gonna take some pictures as I work. This thread has been a wealth of information, can't wait to see what happens.

Butts are great because they're so forgiving. The biggest newb mistake anyone can make is a) freaking out over the plateau and b) taking them out of the smoker before they're done. Good luck and may the pork be with you.

Anyone drill a water hole in the bottom of your WSM? No matter how I try I always get rain water collecting in the bottom of the WSM and it turns into a goopy moldy mess. I just want it to drain and dry out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

nominal posted:

I will say this: I had not anticipated that walking out of a butcher shop carrying a huge gently caress-off nine-pound block of pig flesh would make me feel totally loving badass.

When I smoke butt, I really smoke butt. I'll fill up my 22" WSM with six 8lb butts and sell the rest to friends as basically cost plus a few bucks for the fuel. I never have a problem selling my pork :smug:. Seriously though, it's just as easy to smoke 6 butts as it is to smoke 1 except you eat up more fuel and will have to refuel at around hour 12.

I just have to remember to put my meat order in early. My local butcher smokes meat on the side and sells it out of his store and he gets a little put out when I go in and buy out his entire butt stock for the week.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Don't cover up too many holes. If you don't have good airflow you can end up with creosote building up on your meat. That shits nasty yo.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
You don't need much smoke and you only need smoke for the few first hours.

A good tip for lighting 10-20 briqs in your chimney is to flip it upside down and pile your briqs up on the bottom. It's usually easier to arrange them properly this way.

I just opened my WSM for the first time since November. Mmmmm moldy.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

AxeBreaker posted:

I just want to make a whole mess of flat ribs on the lazy, if Weber made a cabinet smoker for under 500$ I'd buy it.

You can fit a boatload of ribs on the WSM 22". Using a rib rack I've put 12 racks of ribs on.

I tend to smoke in volume and then freeze or sell the extra. I just can't see the point of doing a smoke for a few racks of ribs or a single pork butt. A food saver vacuum sealer is great for freezing Q.

I think this weekend I'm going to do some meatloaf. I can fit 6 good size loafs on and do a high heat cook in a few hours.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
A terracotta flower pot saucer makes a dandy heat sink, plus it's easy to foil and keep clean.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Pictures! 6 meatloafs (meatloaves?) and 10 racks of ribs in my WSM 22".

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

MasterControl posted:

I just love how crafty Canadians can be. ( if you are). Also about the picture above... Holy smeg. Do you buy in bulk? Or take a cart load home from the grocery store?

Never tried a meatloaf on the smoker. Any tips?

I buy vac packed ribs when they're on sale and throw them into my chest freezer until I'm ready to do a big smoke. I've got 8 or 10 two-packs down there now waiting for me. The ground meat I buy from a local butcher in 5 lb bags.

Meatloaf is great on the smoker. All the fat drains down as there's no pan so it's actually pretty lean.

I suggest cooking meatloaf at high heat with an empty foiled water pan to catch the fat. Low and slow isn't needed. A little bit of smoke goes a long way with ground meat so I only use one small chunk of apple wood. Also you can see I use parchment paper on the racks. This'll keep the loaf from pressing into the rack and making a mess when you take them off. Just cut some slits in the paper so the fat can run off.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Ripped from the Virtual Weber forums posted:

: Title: Ole Man Jim's Meat Loaf
: Categories: Bbq, Ground Meat, Meat Loaf
: Yield: 2 large loafs
:
: 5 lb Ground chuck roast
: 2-1/2 lb Ground Pork
: 2 lg Onions, minced
: 2 Bell peppers, minced
: 16 oz Italian seasoned bread crumbs
: 2 oz Cajun Bbq rub
: 2 ts Thyme
: 2 ts Sage
: 6 lg Eggs, beaten
: 1/4 c Danny's glaze*
: 1/4 c Sesame Oil
: 1/3 c Danny's glaze for topping
: GLAZE (Danny's Glaze)
: 1 c Brown sugar
: 1/4 c Apple cider vinegar
: 1/4 c Yellow prepared mustard
:
: DANNY'S GLAZE
: Place brown sugar, vinegar and yellow mustard in a small pot and
bring to a simmer (Do not boil.)
:
: MEATLOAF
: Thoroughly hand mix first eleven (11) ingredients and form into 2
equal loaves. Place each loaf into a foil loaf pan and place both
into a 275�F pit for 2-1/2 hours. Remove from pit, brush tops with
Danny's glaze and return to pit for 15 more minutes.

Personally I changed the following:
- 3 loaves instead of two. I can't remember the time, but it's less than the 2.5 hours for two larger loaves. I did try the two larger loaves but the smaller loaves are easier to freeze with a vac saver.
- Instead of using a foil pan I formed the loaves in a metal loaf pan and put the loaves on parchment paper. As you can see they kept their shape very well and you get a lot more barky/glazy goodness with no pan.
- "cajun" seasoning is very generic. I've used too much in the past and it was all I could taste. Beware!
- I used panko crumbs, just because.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I foil ribs every time now, usually with an ounce of apple juice into the foil pouch.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I wish I could afford an egg. The WSM is a good rig though.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Hey Rutger, you're encouraged to not sign your posts on SA. It's a forum faux pas that'll get you mocked or even probated. Us BBQers are a pretty chill bunch but you might want to lurk for a while and learn the forum rules before you post elsewhere.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Nice... Now I'm hungry for Q.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Any fruit tree is good. Cut em up into chunks (small to fist sized) and you can leave the bark on.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'm stuck at paying 12.99 for a 16lb bag. It never goes on sale here and no one carries anything bigger than the 16lb. This sucks.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Actually I think the top rack is hotter, especially if you're using water in your pan.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Are you watching the internal temperature? 8 hours may not be enough.

Also the bark will soften up if its foiled. Not a bad thing for me as i dont like hard bark in my pulled po r k.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Was the pink from the smoke ring? You'll get a pretty deep smoke ring with ground meat.

Regardless, if you checked it at 160 you're golden. Chow down.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I use paper towel sprayed with Pam to start my chimney. I find it generates a lot less ash compared to newspaper.

Second, with a wooden deck you really should have something under that WSM to catch hot coals. Different times I've seen hot ash fall out the air holes in the bottom and I'm sure I've dropped a hot coal when transferring from the chimney to the bowl.

I've seen people use concrete patio stones but personally I use analuminum water heater pan. It's possible you can also find a BBQ mat but make sure you get one rated for charcoal. Most mats you'll find are meant for use under a propane grill to catch grease spills.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Yeah, 3/2/1 for ribs is too much. I usually do 2/1.5/1 or so.

Also, don't mop your pork shoulders! All you're doing is slowing down the cooking process.

I think I linked this before but the BBQ stall has been proven to be evaporative cooling and not the collagen rendering, which was the most popular theory. By mopping a shoulder you're letting heat out and letting air in, both of which are going to screw up your temps, and you're just adding more moisture to the roast which needs to evaporate before it can continue cooking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/physicist-cracks-bbq-mystery_b_987719.html

quote:

Based on Blonder's data, I now recommend that you wrap pork shoulders and beef briskets at about 150°F, after about 2 hours in the smoke. By then it has absorbed as much smoke as is needed. If you wrap it then, the meat powers right through the stall on a steady curve and takes much less time. It also retains more juice.

Ball says that he is now following a similar protocol in competition. He won't say what temp he cooks at on his MAK pellet smoker, but he is now foiling when his bark is the deep mahogany color he wants, usually somewhere between 140 and 150°F. He leaves it in the foil all the way up to the end, takes it out of the cooker, lets it come down in temp to about 175°F so it stops cooking, and then wraps it in a towel and puts it in an insulated holding box called a cambro for an hour or two to rest (see my article on how you can rig a faux cambro).

There is a problem with this approach for some cooks: The meat does not have a hard chewy bark on the exterior. Ball says that a hard bark is emblematic of overcooked meat. He wants a dark, flavorful, tender bark. But if you want a hard bark, the solution is to pull the meat out of the foil when it hits 180°F or so, and hit it with higher heat to dry the exterior and darken the rub. Or just skip the foil altogether, do things the old fashioned tried and true way, and just be patient. Either way, the results are superb.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I suggest painting it to look like R2D2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Brisket can be tricky so don't be disappointed if it turns out tough the first time.

What was wrong with your ribs? Also good job on the WSM score. I'd buy a 50 buck WSM any day of the week.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Which Maverick probes are you using? The wiki is a little unclear on which one to use. Since you're using wired probes did you bother putting in the radio receiver for the wireless probe?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Here's a forum with people talking about it:

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/5561094836

Actual home page:

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki/An-Introduction-to-LinkMeter---HeaterMeter

Astronaut Jones posted:

I didn't bother doing the wireless board since I didn't really see the point. My router is going to be right there, why bother with more expensive probes and crap.

I'm using the High Heat ET73 probes. So far, so good.

Are you using the HH probe for both your food and the pit? Also how many probes can the LM handle? I'm thinking you'd want three - two meat and one pit.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Hey, I'll take one. $15 shipped to Canada?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Cool. I sent you an email too.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
You can over brine it, and I think it would be OK for it to sit out of the brine. A lot of pork you see in stores is "seasoned" aka brined.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Did you have a full water pan? Cold or hot water in the pan to start? Just that can make a difference in time to hit temp.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've never gotten crispy skin with brine and low temp. Maybe duck is different, but if chicken and turkey are any indication you're going to have problems. By the time you blow torch at the end won't the subcutaneous fat needed to crisp skin already be rendered off? I'm just guessing here as I've never done it.

I've heard that air drying uncovered in the fridge for a day can help a brined bird get a crispy skin.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Why are you slow cooking it at all? Again, perhaps duck is different but I don't think poultry benefits from low and slow at all. When I smoke turkeys I usually do a high heat smoke at around 325-350 with an empty water pan.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Good call on the 18. I have the 22 since I occasionally cook for 15-20 people but the extra fuel use sucks when I'm cooking just for myself.

Sears Canada used to carry the WSM series and if you can catch one on sale they were quite a bit cheaper than Home Depot.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Can you explain "tighten up the skin"? As in literally grab the loose skin and pinch it off somehow to keep it tight against the meat?

Great write up though. I'm a duck virgin but now I'm thinking of trying this out.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
As you cook more you'll notice the WSM will be easier to keep at temp. All the grease and gunk will build up at rims and make a natural air seal.

But yeah, you have to catch the temp on the way up. Once it's too hot it's really hard to reduce the temp. Was your water pan full? Once you know how to keep your WSM at temp the water pan is less important but it's a great help at first.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 4, 2012

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
At 190 it may not have been done. Having to go to 195 or even 200 is not uncommon.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Oooh.. nice work!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've got 16 racks of ribs in the freezer and I'm on a diet so I've not smoked once this summer. I need the freezer space so I think I'm going to smoke them anyways and sell them to friends.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
My god yes. I would be on that. Especially if you want to grill. The WSM is an OK griller but the BGE is the poo poo.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
You can foil ribs to make them cook quicker. Depending on the cut you smoke them regular for 2-3 hours then wrap them in foil pouches for another 1-2 hours. Be careful as you can overcook them in the foil and turn them into mush.

If you want nice smokey goodness without much time then try cooking chicken. Use an empty water pan (foiled for easy cleanup) and start a full chimney of charcoal. Get the WSM good and hot (350'ish) and just cook your chicken until it's done.

Protip: brine your chicken before and use very little smoke wood.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
180 is not near high enough to pull. That's about the temp for slicing though. 8.5 lbs is a good sized butt so no wonder that 15 hours wasn't enough. next time to make things quicker you can try cutting the butt in half, plus you get more bark. Last time I did 8 lb butts it was closer to 16.5 hours to get them done..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

davey4283 posted:

I don't use any of the linksys temp control stuff found in this thread and my stuff turns out great. I think that shits all pretty lame imo. To me, smoking is supposed to be pretty simple: Fire, Wood, Smoke, Meat.

Yeah. gently caress those guys who use store bought charcoal! Real BBQers make their own charcoal and if you didn't personally kill and butcher that pig then I'm going to call you a pussy.