Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Safety Engineer posted:

I got a Vision Kamado from costco a few months ago that I've been putting through the paces(It's friggin awesome btw)
So is this basically the same thing as a BGE just without being green? Because the kit at Costco looks pretty good if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Owners of the Vision Grills Kamado (it was sold at Costco this summer): how is the cleanup? I'm looking at their models and the C model claims to add some sort of electric starter slot and an ash tray for easy cleaning. I'm trying to figure out if the removable ash drawer is worth an extra expense or just a good source of heat loss.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CHiMPY posted:

Case was printed by one of my mates and bribed another with promises of BBQ if he soldered everything together for me.

Your project looks really nice. Can you go more into how you got your case finished? I'd like to build one of these but making it not look terrible would be a huge plus.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought some today and didn't need any codes (DC MD suburbs)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Bunk posted:

Going for my first attempt at smoking this weekend - a 4 lb boneless Boston Butt roast in a Weber kettle w/ Smokenator, roughly following this recipe. Anything you guys wish you had known when you were doing your first smoke, recipe tweaks, rough time estimate, how much charcoal to start with (my first grill experience was reverse searing some ribeyes at 225, and I didn't realize I wasn't necessarily supposed to use a full chimney for those temps), what to do if it finishes early, etc?

I did a bigger one this past weekend on the Smokenator and I think that site's Smokenator tips section covers it well. Mine took 8 hours although my air temp was probably closer to 250 most of the time (long story). I think the best advice to take from that article was to leave the bottom vent open fully and modulate the top vent from a tiny bit open to a little bit open, and to just forgo the tiny water tray since it takes up so much fuel space. Since I didn't have baked beans or anything in the lower rack, I just poured a kettle of boiling water in the dripping pan below the meat to moderate the temp through the cook.

Here's a lovely pic of what it looked like after pulling:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was looking at getting a BGE and read that they aren't very good for setting up two-zone fires. I usually do steaks in my kettle grill with all the coals on one side, sear and finish on the cool side--do you guys do something like this in the BGE (perhaps by venting and changing the airflow?) or will I need to keep my trusty Weber kettle if I get one?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cool, that will take some getting used to but it all makes sense. Thanks guys.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nice cheese pic

BraveUlysses posted:

You can definitely do dual zones on an XL BGE :getin:

Ok so that was going to be my next question-if I got a big enough grill. So sounds like I know what I'm getting! Although I'm going to look at the new XXL for Lols.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I vacuum seal it in the waffle-textured polyethylene bags and I don't notice a plastic taste even after 6 months

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Piece up the bird into a breast, wings, legs and thighs, and then finish the dark meat separately after the smoking stage.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Or step up to an XL which can be found for 1100ish!

I recommend used ones whenever possible just because the savings are so good and they're less prone to wearing out components compared to a gas grill.

Just don't knock it over (sigh) or let someone steal it from your driveway (sigh x2).

So since we're talking about BGEs, and I've been thinking seriously about getting one like since I started asking in the fall, should I just set up Craigslist alerts? I almost never see an XL go up. Do I really care about the warranty? Will any of the ~*Authorized Egg Dealers*~ near me do a sale between now and prime grilling season or do these things not go on sale?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was able to make really good pulled pork on the Smokenator in the summer, but as soon as it got cooler (mid October) I had trouble maintaining temperature because the kettle grill is so thin. Or maybe I just had a sophomore slump. It basically proved that I want to get a real smoker / thicker vessel that can do smoking.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

coronaball posted:

:siren: The $10 for 40 lbs of Kingsford Memorial Day Sale is on at Lowe's!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_361268-308-...1&storeId=10151

I bought 200 lbs last year, and I'm just finishing up the last half a bag so perfect timing. :)

Thanks for this, I got 200 lbs as well--I noticed they're now 2x18.6 lb bags. Gotta keep it under $10! :rolleyes:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
While you're on the subject of different vessels and their cooking technique: I was at some family this weekend and they have a pellet smoker (Traeger, electronic control). They said their neighbor also got one and is going to sell their BGE (this is 800 miles away or I would make an offer)--is a Traeger nicer to smoke with than a BGE with HeaterMeater? Does the all-[strike]hardwood[/strike]sawdust pellet make a big difference? I guess another way to put it: if money were no object, would you smoke on both?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yesterday I hosted a watch party and cooked a giant costco pork shoulder (8-10 pounds) and it took like 15 hours, with cheating closer to a 300 temp. I guess I need to start putting them on when I go to bed the night before or butchering them differently.

BraveUlysses posted:

Just a heads up, i discovered that you can get a kcbs membership for 35/yr and it allows you to go into restaurant depot if you want to buy meat cheaper than most other stores.

Ok the depot looks super awesome, can anyone who has been there / will go post a trip report? Curious how the costs / cuts compare to costco.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you're going to wish you had something else every time you see it out back then yeah get something else

Restaurant Depot status: I saw that they allow a free signup as long as you have a business license so I took some docs down there and got 2 cards. Theirs meats look pretty good, they definitely had full packer briskets unlike my Costco which is hit or miss. Now I just need to get one and smoke it :v:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

coronaball posted:

I'd like it if you guys could double check my plan for tonight/tomorrow:

Equipment: WSM

Food: Two 9 lb bone-in pork shoulders

Goal: Pulled pork for 30 adults, at a different location, at 12:30 PM tomorrow.

I'm thinking the following: Fire the WSM via Minion Method at 11 PM. Hopefully the temp will be about 240 or so through the night. Remove at 11:30 AM, pull, and transport. If it cooks too quickly, I'll have a cooler ready for resting. if it's not cooking quickly enough, I'll take them both out and put them in a 275 degree oven until they reach temp.

This enough time? I won't be home until about 10:45 PM, so it kind of has to be!

That's never enough time for me for butts that big, even pushing it to 275 for hours 3+. I have a leaky rear end Webber kettle but those temps are from Thermoworks air probes. What I'm trying to say is start earlier if you can :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got a turkey breast that was brined for two days in a brown sugar-salt-apple juice solution. Pulled it out yesterday and rinsed and dried to hopefully get the skin to dry a bit. At family house with a Traeger but brought my thermometers.

Should I smoke at 225 and pull at 160? Is there anything I can do for the skin? Just use 50/50 Apple and Hickory wood?

Hed fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 24, 2015

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys, I ended up doing one the way my mom always says she does it (400 to get to temp, then down to smoke for several hours) and another the other way (2 hrs-ish at about 325) and I really liked the old way. Was worried about it tasting like an ash tray but i really enjoyed the hickory as well. They were both good so thanks :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Sorry if I missed it but what was your moms way? 400 to what temp?

Their traeger has a "smoke" setting which turns out to just put out lots of blue smoke at like 150ish. So 400 for 20 mins, then I turned it down to smoke until it came up to temp. It ended up getting above 140 within about 3 hours, then took on a lot of smoke. The extra smoke made a big difference. I wish I had a pic of the two--in the future I will probably just bring it up to done at 325 like a normal person, then leave it on smoke for a couple of hours, rest and carve. Sounds way less risky, but also she's apparently done this for years to no ill effect.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Non-turkey question:

Some fam wanted to take a break from turkey and get these hickory-smoked ribs from a local joint tonight. What is the difference between the pink pork sections and the redder, candy-like texture you see towards the end? Is it a difference in the original meat, more collagen breakdown, an interaction of the rub? I get the same effect on my pork butts I smoke with the memphis dust, and the same redder parts are the most delicious imo. Sorry for the poo poo pic.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For a BGE XL, what are the awesome accessories I need? I'm really confused people talking about "don't get a plate setter, get a woo and adjustable rig". I'm assuming they mean get a plate setter and set it down in the woo ring's lower level? How is moving the 22.5" grill up to the felt line an improvement? (I don't have the XL yet, I'll get it when I get back after the holiday).

I basically will want to be able to do two modes--high heat for searing and paella and low/slow for BBQ. I don't think I'll be cooking pizza any time soon since I have an oven steel.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks! I was going to build a custom table for the XL, I may get it done quickly assuming the weather doesn't turn to total poo poo by the end of the month.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I want to, but it's not every day that I have over $600 in my bank account. I want that feeling to last.

Dr. Pitno Moneyson

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm also going to get a whole packer brisket to gently caress with on my smoker this weekend. The Amazing Ribs recipe has you crutch, but I really won't be in a hurry... is it somehow "better" this way?

What kind of woods? One of the guys at work from Texas says this is the only time he uses Mesquite, which I have but also haven't used (only really smoked pork and cold smoked cheeses so far).

Also, what kind of sauce to work in for the burnt ends? KC style?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

tonedef131 posted:

Rub it down the night guy before with 1 part salt, 2 parts pepper and a touch of ground mustard. Smoke over oak, no crutch just 225 till you hit 200F internal, but plan for at least 1 hour per lb. Err on the side of it being done early, it can sit on the countertop for a while and you'll want time to get it sliced up anyway. Sauce optional, but I favor Apple cider vinegar spiked with ground chilis and black pepper.

Thank you! I'll need to get some oak but this is exactly the kind of guidance I need. :cheerdoge:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Costco shoulders end up taking 16-20 hours if I really stick to 225:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't have a need for liquid smoke because I use traegar pellets :grin:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just started using a MAPP torch and treating my kamado like a large chimney starter to get going: top and bottom fully open.

I see why people say use lump though, I still have like 7 bags of briquettes to burn up from previous holiday sales though :v:

Has anyone with a kamado tried the kick ash basket? Looks intriguing but seems expensive for what it is (he said, while lording over his $1200 ceramic grill)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was at Costco today and noticed they had the grills out--Traegar (not sure what model) for $700 and a giant fuckoff KitchenAid gas burner, and some smaller charcoal grills. Might be worth a look / time to snag a floor model in a few weeks!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would actually love to explore that more because I feel that controlling humidity (and resulting wet-bulb temperatures) inside the egg is another variable in cooking that is kinda neat to mess with.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

pr0k posted:

But packer briskets were two fuckin bucks a pound at Giant last weekend

:eyepop: share the intel next time holy crap I will make you one

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Smoked some beef for a work party:

Got a ~10lb brisket flat (which is all my Costcos carry), and used an Oklahoma Joe's rub (a Kansas City BBQ joint). Sweet doesn't always go well with beef, but this rub has a good balance of sweet and heat when it's done.

I rubbed it down with the whole rub 24 hours prior to putting on:

After letting the grill come up to 235 (I filled the fire box and intermixed hickory chunk and chips) smoke off I threw it on:

12 hours later it was done:

The recipe I linked calls for using the crutch, I made it that way and didn't really care for the texture. Here I just did a straight 12-13 hours smoke, which since this was for work meant I threw it on right after dinner then wrapped it up and took it with me right before I left for work. It was far better this time. I also don't open up and throw more wood on b/c I have a BGE, so no sprays either.

(the dark green probe was a different model than I had configured and a reading quite a bit high)

Any idea why my smoking seems to always take longer on my BGE? 12 hours (with help) for a brisket flat seems like a lot, and it's like that on butts too-I easily need to allow 20+ hours for two pork shoulders to cook, and I'm confident the temps are good.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

my turn in the barrel posted:

Does anyone have a smoking gun? I've seen them around but wasn't sure what I would actually do with one to justify the cost.

I made my wife stop at a thrift store we were driving by and found this on the shelf for $3.

Unused, the batteries and wood chips are still sealed. The manual is missing but I'm sure I can find one on their website.

I looked a bit more and found this

Also still sealed

And to round things out I found an old Weber Gas Grill Cookbook and an BBq book for $1 a piece and a $4 cast iron Æbleskiver pan

What smoking gun recipes should I start with? I've had smoked string cheese that I loved and was hoping I could make something similar. Could I use racks and a carboard box like Alton Brown's cold smoked Salmon recipe?

On the smoking gun the most intriguing thing I heard was someone talking about smoking an ice cube tray then using the frozen cubes in their whisky or cocktails.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

People in swamp county or Iceland that don't have decent availability of good smoking wood, where do you get your fuel? I can get small quantities of mystery hardwood at the grocery store, but it's crap, and expensive. I'm in South Florida.

My parents who live in farm country MO can get pretty much everything from a restaurant supply store in town. I'd check there or see if there are any "authorized dealers" of any of the big smoker brands there.

I've found the best year-round deals on fuel at Restaurant Depot oddly, but they don't always have smoking wood

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smoked Turkey -

Rub:
• 1T paprika
• 1t smoked paprika
• 1/2t black pepper
• 1/2t ground mustard seed
• 1/2t ground coriander
• 1/4t cayenne
• 1t garlic powder
• 1t onion powder
• 2T (40g) brown sugar
Seasoning:
1/4c diamond kosher + 1T baking powder, spread liberally all over (I did three days before cooking)

I made a jus by throwing the backbone, neck, wingtips in pan with 2 onions, some celery, and carrots then pour in 2-3Qt boiling water before putting the bird on (you can see it in the pic above under the bird).

I smoked indirect with legs hanging out towards the fire at 330F and it took 1:40m (pulled when coldest part of breast hit 150). Used about 1 lb of apple and hickory chunks (50/50) I was definitely impressed that the breast was done around the same time the legs were going to 175 or so. And the skin was crisp!! Would spatchcock again:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nothing to add other than I think it's hilarious that many years ago it was 2x20lb bags, I have some in my garage that were a Memorial Day special for 2x18.6, and now they're getting into 2x16.7.

Gotta keep that :20bux: price!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a whole chicken from a friend whose brood I helped slaughter.

There's no low and slow play here so should I was going to just spatchcock, salt tonight, rub under the skin and grill at 425ish with some smoking wood in the coals. Does that sound like a good idea?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got a really swell looking wild pacific salmon for the weekend. Any tips? Last time I did an Alton brown cure which was basic sugar and salt. It was fine if a little sweet, anything else I should try? Also, take the skin off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For Royal Oak if you are a restaurant depot member they have the best prices in my area outside of holiday sales at Home Depot / Lowes.
Speaking of, I should check out what they have this weekend...