Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you live in an area where there are any sorts of woodworkers or sawmills, it's sometimes worth it to hit them up. Some of them are getting hip to the potential, but others will let you haul off as much cherry or hickory scrap as you can carry.

The scariest thing I've ever seen with my own two eyes was my little brother holding a 6" chunk of cherry on a stump while our friend chewed it up with a chainsaw for chips. Dear God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Did turkey legs this week! A new one for me.

Four hours in a basic brine - salt, sugar, fistful of spices off the rack - then a pretty standard shakedown with salt/pepper. We did a hotter smoke on this because I'm paranoid with my poultry and also impatient, but we ran it at about 250-275 for a couple hours until meat hit 195. They were absolutely delicious and though I know some people dislike the ham feel you get out of turkey legs, we loved it. Not dried out at all. Plus, they're cheap! A leg is about a buck, and with a side, you're under $2/person/meal.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I exclusively burn Ozark Oak charcoal, and it's 4.98 a bag at the grocery store.

Keep meaning to go out to the plant they make it at to just beg them to let me buy 500 pounds.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A friend gave us an electric smoker last week, and I've decided to do our turkey in it this year.

Pretty excited! I've got a nice double probe remote thermometer too, so I can keep a good eye on things.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PainBreak posted:

What kind of electric smoker is it?

Weber something or other. The super simple vertical barrel kind, electric element resting on lava rock in the bottom. It's old so I don't have a specific model or anything.