Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Since Mackieman keeps talking about my electric smoker (I too have the 40" MES), I guess I should post some picutres.

I do not have many right now since most the images are on my computer at home, but here is some of the things I have done recently that I have on my phone, and or still on the internets.

I have a lot more poo poo I have done, but for now that is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Nosthula posted:

Bone_Enterprise that food looks amazing.

Has anyone tried smoking meatloaf. I'm wanting to try something a little different tomorrow for dinner and I don't have time for a super long low and slow.

No though it should not take long, would say try ham as that does not take long either, but you mentioned you want something different.

Maybe try some rack of lamb ribs, or a leg of lamb (what my last three pictures were of), then serve it up with some rosemary garlic potatoes, and asparagus.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

LTBS posted:

They do it Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. I bought 200lbs last labor day. I think I need to stock up on some more.

Home Depot is doing 2 x 13.9 LB (27.8 LB) bags for $5.88, so 2 x 5.88 = $11.76 = 55.6 LB.
Think I may hit up Home Depot.

At least this is going by the ad on the website for my store.

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 24, 2012

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Got 12 x 13.9 LB bags from Home Depot, I should be set for a while.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
I smoked a meat.

Murrrry Meatmas to all.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

niss posted:

Smoking three of these today, can't wait to see how they turn out. I'll make sure to post pics of the results.

Nice work, I will have to post pictures of the ones I have done if I can find them.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

West side, Beltway 8 and West Little York.

Hrmm, I may take you up on that some time, I live 35~40 minutes south of Houston.

Also does Ritch normally carry a .45 on his hip at the shop, if so that is awesome and I want to meet him.

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 29, 2013

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

All day, every day. I think that's a Springfield, I usually carry my Gen2 Glock 17 or my BHP.

Give me a head's up when you (or anyone else) wants to meet up at the shop. I'm usually working remotely.

Sure will do.
I guess you film/edit their videos as I assume that is your name drop at the end there?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

Yup. Drop me an email at (namefromvideo)@gmail.com if you want to see the shop.

Will do!

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

McSpankWich posted:

I can dig up a picture of the setup when I get home if you want to see it.

McSpankWich posted:

So I'm on vacation this week from work, and a coworker and I decided it would be a good idea to just BBQ the whole week. We started off Monday with 2 failed attempts at a cold smoker out of his two grills and a garbage can, and a 3rd attempt which actually worked. We then smoked some cheese in it, and made a Bacon Explosion in my WSM, which was meh, but looked really cool. Here is the setup:

This right here.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

Ouch. One of our customers brought his new trailer pit home Saturday night. Sunday morning, his pit AND his F-250 were gone.

gently caress thieves.

Well that is one way to get a bbq pit. =/

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Will be brining my turk here for Thanksgiving in the 'cajun' style brine I like to use, then making a compound butter to stuff underneath the skin before smoking, always comes out amazing.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Yeaaah, it is about time for me to do another batch of cheese, has been a while since I have done it.

Usually acquire cheese from http://www.veldhuizencheese.com/ and smoke it up when I make mine.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

GEEKABALL posted:

....Texas Pete is apparently some kind of bottled hot sauce and I have never (is there an "irony" emote)? noticed it for sale in Texas. I used Tabasco...

I agree it is hard as hell to find Texas Pete hot sauce in Te...

Yeah maybe not as the first store I went to had it.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

BulimicGoat posted:

Stupid question, but I've got a 30" MES and this AMNPS intrigues me. Where does it sit in the smoker?

To the left of where the chip tray is on the two metal bars just above the drain pan.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
What the gently caress??

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Dukket posted:

Meathead from Amazingribs.com is hiring help. This would be a hoot, me thinks

http://amazingribs.com/help_wanted.html

If I lived in that area I would definitely put in an app.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

PhotoKirk posted:

Shameless self-promotion: Our show (King of the Grill) will be airing again on Destination America on Tuesday morning. The smoked gator was very, very good. I wish they had included the footage of the hog hunt and smoked whole hog. Ah, well...

Nice, I still need to come by the shop and check the place out.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
It is that time of year again to hit up your local Lowes/Home Depot and stock up on charcoal for the year, not the normal $8.99 deal like it use to be but still good:

Lowes: Kingsford 2-Pack 20-lb (40lb) Charcoal Briquettes = $9.99 (Prices Valid 05/22/2014 - 05/28/2014)
Home Depot: Kingsford 2-Pack 20-lb (40lb) Charcoal Briquettes = $9.88 (Prices Valid 5/22/2014 - 6/01/2014)

Lowes is limiting the deal to two twin packs per customer, as mentioned already they are letting people get more however.
Home Depot has a limit of 10 bags per person.

*edit* Updated with Home Depots price

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 22, 2014

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

coronaball posted:

What a shame, I was gonna buy a pallet full. Guess I'll wait on the home depot price/limits.

The limit is apparently not in place if you order online and pick up in store as far as I can tell, want to confirm by placing an order but want to wait and see what Home Depot's price is tomorrow.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crazyeyes posted:

Replace the hearing element...

What did you say??

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crazyeyes posted:

Heating... stupid phone...

That's nice dear, don't forget your jacket.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

DJCobol posted:

The limit was in place last year technically, and after going through twice, the cashier just told me to grab as much as I wanted and don't worry about the "limit". Ended up with 400 lbs of charcoal in the back of my Subaru.

Nice, that is going to be me today as I plan on getting 10 bags as well.
Home Depot is doing $9.88 a bag as per the update to my post, was hoping they would go a dollar lower, but hey was planning on buying it anyhow.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crazyeyes posted:

With the advent of the charcoal sales, I am looking for a method of outdoor storage. Garage is occupied so can't store a couple hundred pounds of charcoal there.

How do you folk store your massive hoards of black fire?

In the add-on room I have attached to the garage, in the attic, and or the shed in my backyard.

On further thought I should get 400# for each storage area.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Hi:

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Crazyeyes posted:

960lbs of charcoal

800# actually, think I should be set for a bit.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

sellouts posted:

Looks like someone's wife didn't know to buy them lump charcoal :colbert:

Thanks for assuming I have a wife, truth is however that I do not care about the whole lump over briquettes debate.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

How are you liking your thermoworks thermometer?
Love my Thermopen, tired of my Maverick and want to get something more accurate.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Dr. Pangloss posted:

That was my thought, but I've heard some bad things about electric smokers. I'm sure a lot of it is hyperbole, but thought it was worth a question here.

What "bad things" have you heard?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Dr. Pangloss posted:

That they dry out meat and it's hard to get it the right amount of smoke from them.

I would say the opposite, been using my Masterbuilt Electric 40" for a long rear end time now and it puts out some drat fine results.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

CapnBry posted:

On the subject of automatic temperature control units, I'm the developer of an open source project called HeaterMeter. I've just released all the specs for the latest hardware revision and to get rid of some of the crap on my desk, I'm giving away one of the development units. If you have an account on tvwbb.com, I'd recommend hopping over there and posting to the thread for a chance to win.

HeaterMeter 4.2 Giveaway

For those unfamiliar with the HeaterMeter, it is a device I started working on about 4 years ago because I thought the Stoker was too expensive, and didn't have features I wanted (like wifi and graphs). I've now spent several thousand dollars of my money making incrementally better devices. It costs about $150 to build one, plus probes which you may already have, and is a fun DIY electronics project with no prior soldering experience necessary. I hope this isn't too much of a plug, but hey it's free stuff and it's not like I'm sort of 2014 regdate. I know at least one other goon uses a HeaterMeter.

Would be so jazzed if I got one of these, guess I will go register an account and try my luck, thanks for the heads up.

Well going to post after my account gets approved there or whatever, can't use aliases on that forum, that is gay as poo poo.

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 14, 2014

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Plan on making up some pulled pork for the first time on Saturday, will be smoking up 2 x 8.5# butts.

I have always been a firm believer in, "if you need sauce on bbq, then it was not done right," however I see pulled pork as an exception to that as I generally apply that rule to brisket, ribs, chicken, etc.

What are some good finishing sauces you have found to mix in after doing the initial pulling of the pork? (if any at all)
What are some good sauces that you have found to use on the pork for serving on the sandwiches and or straight up on the meat?

I HATE sauces that have distinctive vinegar profiles to them, however would like to have a good two or three sauces options for people to choose from, I will be one of a few cooks preparing food for around 43 people or so, so while I don't like vinegar themed/flavored sauces I am sure others that are eating will, shoot me some ideas!

My plan is using Meatheads (from amazingribs.com) rub for the butts I am going to be smoking:
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder
1/2 teaspoon salt per pound of meat

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Trastion posted:

As for the sauce to use I can't really help you because I still just use bottled stuff. I like Sweet Baby Rays Hot & Spicy but I keep a few other kinds on hand along with a ton of other non-bbq sauces.

The Bibigo Original Korean BBQ sauce from CJ Foods is great on pulled pork tacos. Meijer stopped carrying it though and I haven't found a local place to get it yet.

I may end up doing store bought myself, may not have time to make up three separate batches of stuff.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Need to pick up some kings hawaiian rolls anyhow for them sammies, and some pork ribs.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Here are some shots from the prior mentioned event I went to over the weekend, sorry in advance for the varying sizes, took these pictures from various people that took images and not everyone knows which way to hold a camera when taking a picture.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

blk96gt posted:

What's the general opinion of the Masterbuilt series of electric smokers? I've been wanting to pick something up for smoking brisket and chicken with the occasional turkey. Basically just looking for something easy that I can set and forget without much fuss. If I want to have the whole cooking with fire experience I'll use my old man's Pitts and Spitts smoker.

Is there a particular brand of wood chips that are better to use? Early in the thread it was recommended to get the A-maze-n Pellet Smoker. Is this really needed?

Trastion posted:

I have a MB 40" electric and love it because it is set it and forget it. However you will NOT get crispy skin on poultry. Though you can throw it on the grill or in a pan to crisp the skin. I just use the small wood chips (I am not sure of the brand) that I got off Amazon. I have looked into the AMPS but haven't decided to do that yet.

Pretty much what Trastion said, I have a 40" as well and it has served me fairly well, and I have made tons of tasty poo poo in it.
One thing I can not recommend enough is no matter where you buy it, BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!, some people have gone years without anything happening to theirs, some less than a year, some just a few months, the few extra bucks is worth the peace of mind, the heating element went out on mine and had to be replaced with my extended warranty, also the first unit I got went out in eight months before I got that one.

That being said I have the AMPS, the Tube Smoker, and the original AMNS and these things are amazing, also serve as a great time saver since you don't have to reload the chip tray every 30~40 minutes or whatever the gently caress it is.
I honestly never got the hang of using the pellets and have stuck with using the sawdust, think my problem was not initially lighting it long enough for it to keep a good enough coal bed to last the entire cook.

Todd is pretty awesome, and you should buy his product(s) is pretty much what I am trying to say.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Trastion posted:

Which one of those (AMPS, etc) would you suggest I buy? I want to increase the smoke flavor/ring if possible. Which seems to work the best for you with the 40"?

You are not going to get much of a smoke ring, if any at all in an electric smoker, that being I prefer the AMPS (that way you have the option of sawdust or pellets,) I have the 6x8 that I use in mine.

The tube smoker works better in gas grills.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Tenzarin posted:

A smoke ring is overrated, I can bake a brisket in the oven and get a heavy smoke ring.

That is nice dear, I never said anything about a smoke ring being a thing that was necessary to make good bbq either.

I give no shits about the smoke ring at all, more for appearance in my opinion.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

KettleWL posted:

He's just further elaborating on your point though, not trying to detract from the idea. Why are people such uptight shits over just little perceived slights?

I guess I took it wrong then, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

The entire internet is mostly people acting like they're experts while they copy paste poo poo off of _______

Well everything you read on the internet is true, so I can see why people do that.