Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Smoked a shoulder over memorial day weekend. It ruled. Question though, most places I read say to put the smoke wood in with the meat intially and then never replenish it. Other sources say to toss more wood on as soon as the visible white smoke stops pouring out. Which is it? Intial only or keep tossing it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

^ I know a lot of people that do that. Smoke it until ~140 and then move it to the oven until 190.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Is that just a weird glare? Why is that rack grey? Looks awesome though. I'm going to do a few racks of ribs in my WSM in a week or so, how long did you have them go for?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Astronaut Jones posted:

For the record, if you use the "minion method", a WSM can handle an overnight smoke with no intervention easily. I built a HeaterMeter for mine, and it's insanely temperature stable if you load it up and leave it a lone.

Seconding this, I tried the minion method for the first time memorial day weekend and it was awesome. The needle stayed at 225 and didn't move for literally 12 hours. I kept going out to check it expecting it to change and never did.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

How different are babybacks than spare ribs? Can I still do the 3/1.5/1 or should it be shorter/longer?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Alright question 2. Can you over brine a pork shoulder? We had put it in yesterday at 6pm to be cooked today at 8am, but my friend got sick and we're going to postpone for 24 hours. Can we just leave it in the brine? If I take it out and don't smoke it immediately will it form a pellicle type thing like fish does? Is that good?

fedit: Yesterday's ribs pics to follow when I get home.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

So I'm on vacation this week from work, and a coworker and I decided it would be a good idea to just BBQ the whole week. We started off Monday with 2 failed attempts at a cold smoker out of his two grills and a garbage can, and a 3rd attempt which actually worked. We then smoked some cheese in it, and made a Bacon Explosion in my WSM, which was meh, but looked really cool. Here is the setup:

Yesterday was cold smoking Salmon in the rig (one Atlantic filet, and one Sockeye filet), and hot smoking ribs in the WSM. Salmon stayed on for ~6 hours, babybacks ended up being around 4:15, here are the final products:

They came out absolutely fantastic, probably the best ribs I've ever had, despite being a little too spicy because of the BBQ sauce we made. When I went to check for doneness I actually pulled the bone right out by accident, it was awesome. Interesting story though, we had to cut two of the racks because only one would fit full length into the smoker, and the full rack was the only one that came out not quite done yet. Not sure why the length would matter, but it seemed to.

Today was supposed to be pulled pork day, but as I said earlier my friend got sick so that will be tomorrow, with a brisket to finish off the week. We did have some bagels with fresh lox though, which were awesome. Tastes almost completely different when you make it yourself.

I'll probably be back with some brisket questions later. You guys have been super helpful so far, so thanks for that!

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 28, 2012

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

We made a kickass sauce this week, it was mustard based. I had never tried any mustard based sauces before, and it did not disappoint. I'm definitely making it my go to from now on.

1 cup prepared dijon mustard (could use yellow)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Cook for ~20 minutes

For the ribs we mopped it on about 10 minutes before we took them off, for the pulled pork we mixed a little bit in initially, then left more out to add to sandwiches to taste. The chipotle chili powder ends being decently spicy after cooking onto the ribs, so if that's not your thing you could substitute for cayenne, or just make your chili powder without chipotles!

You couldn't really tell on the pulled pork though. Man it was awesome.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 3, 2012

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Each smoke is so different, I did ribs again yesterday and they came out great, but not nearly as tender as last weeks. It's frustrating because the mistakes I made last time I corrected so they should have been better. They made it to 190 in ~4.5 hours.

The only thing I can think of is that it took the WSM about an hour to get up to temp for some reason. But that shouldn't effect the final tenderness negatively, right? If anything, it's more time under 140 to absorb smoke right?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I had about a 1/2 full water pan that I filled with the hose. I did the tear test, but on the end instead of the middle, that was probably the problem and I just got lucky last time.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Siochain posted:

Anyone have some personal anecdotes of wisdom that may apply to me - how easy is it to get used to the WSM? Anything that smoking over charcoal just works better than electric?

I have to tell you man, the WSM is a great in between of set it and forget it and traditional smoke monitoring. That thing will easily hold 225 for like 8-9 hours with little to no maintenance. At the 9 hour mark toss a chimney of unlit coals in, open the vents, close them again when you stabilize and your good for another 9. It really is awesome. Plus you don't get that nice dark bark and smoke ring from an electric.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I've done three racks of ribs and two 10lb pork shoulders in the 18" WSM (Not at the same time). I can't imagine needing more than that sans some huge party, and even then, two shoulders will feed a whole lot of people. You could also do a ton more ribs with a rack, which I don't have.

I also want to say that this new Burger King "let's have a BBQ" commercial is just offensive.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Did a pork shoulder yesterday, it came out really lovely. Weird because I did the same thing I always do with one change. Brined for 24 hours, rested. Smoked for 4 hours, and then finished in foil in the oven until 190. Normally I leave it on the smoker for the duration, but it was raining and I wanted to see if the oven made a difference. It ended up really tough and didn't pull well at all.

The only thing I can think of, besides the oven, is that since it was so small (4lbs) it ended up cooking really fast, 8 hours total instead of the usual 11 or so. Maybe the quicker time made the connective tissue not break down as much?

Flavor was right and it still made good sandwiches, but not nearly as delicious as normal.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 4, 2012

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I use this on pork:

1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp chili powder (homemade)
1 Tbsp cayenne (or chipotle depending on how I feel)
1 Tbsp of salt
1 Tbsp of black pepper
1 tbsp (smoked) paprika
1/2 Cup of brown sugar

measurements are never precise

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

xcdude24 posted:

For those of you with Weber grills, how do you like to get the heat of the grill down to the 225-250 range? I just added a full chimney, with all of the coals on one half of the grill. I had a drip pan on the other side, I couldn't get the temperature on the indirect side below 350, even with the bottom vent all the way closed. Is the solution less coals? I've heard some people like to get lower temperatures by adding half a chimney's worth a coals.

Weber sells a little smokebox thing for gas grills that sits on one side of the grill and holds the wood against the wall. This is not the best use for it, a friend of mine uses it to hold his coals AND wood against the wall of his charcoal kettle. He is able to achieve much lower temps for longer periods of time because of the small area it keeps the coals in, and the airflow regulation it offers. Not that you should go out a buy the thing, but if you could fabricate a little leanto of sorts out of sheet metal or something, and poke some holes in the top, it would probably work wonders.

edit: here is the thing

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

If you have time you could also put them into your oven for an hour or so at like 150 degrees.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I have an 18" and I've had no issues. I've done 8 racks of ribs at once by cutting them in half and standing them up with some paper organizers. You can even do three at once with no stands by cutting them in half and arranging them in a triangle. You can fit whatever size turkey you want vertically on the bottom rack as well.

The only limitation is what was said above, once you start entering the realm of multiple briskets or shoulders it gets really tight, really fast. Two is basically the max. If you have the the money, get the 22, but the 18 has been just as good for me with everything I've done so far. A decent size shoulder and 5 racks of ribs will feed a lot of people.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

GigaFool posted:

One thing that's important to do with the cheese: it will taste alright coming out of the smoker, but a lot of people wrap the cheese as tightly as possible (foodsaver is best) and refrigerate it for ~1-2 weeks. This 'cure' distributes the smoke flavor throughout the cheese and gives you a much better product. The first time I was worried about mold, but the smoke seems to make the exterior of the cheese incredibly stable, especially if it's shrink-wrapped.

I've tried this a few times a super low temp (~90) and the cheese never tastes like anything except an ashtray. How do you get smoke flavor and not disgusting flavor. What temperature, what type of wood, etc?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Ezrem posted:

He mentioned using Apple wood. 90 degrees seems like a perfectly suitable temperature for cheese, if possibly a bit on the warm side. I'm going to shoot for <80 for my smoke.

What kind of wood did you use?

Pecan I believe, could have been apple though, we were using both that day and we had a few rigs set up.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

GigaFool posted:

If I had to guess, an ashtray flavor would result from improper burning of the wood, or poor ventilation.

Yea I assumed I was just burning the fuel wrong. To clarify, for cold smoking you wait until the coals are white, toss some wood on and pipe the smoke wherever. I think I'm going to try the Alton Brown cardboard box/hotplate method next time, to avoid the charcoal altogether.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

cornface posted:

I just started the WSM up in the middle of a downpour. I was sort of expecting the chimney to go out, but so far so good, other than the rain cooling off the smoker.

Babybacks, ahoy! I am trying out a pecan and apple wood mix today. Hopefully it stops raining before they are ready to come off.

I was quite amazed with the WSM's ability to hold temp I the rain as well the first time I ran into it.

It was a sudden summer downpour that lasted about 50 minutes. We moved ourselves and our beers to the front porch to watch the storm. When it was over we headed to the backyard fully expecting the temp to have dropped significantly, but that faithful needle was still there, pointing straight up just as we had left it. It was a good day.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

That looks awesome, I've tried to try smoke cheese, but every time it's been awful. What exactly is the process? I noticed you've sealed them inside an airless thing, how long does that actually have to sit in there? Does that matter? The two time's I've tried I ate it right off the grill and it was terrible, and then I put it in a ziplock in the fridge for a week, and it was still awful.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yes, it tasted really bad. They both tasted like I was eating smoked oil, basically. If you could just run me through your process it would be most beneficial, thanks man.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yea, even microwaved pulled pork leftovers are amazing and it's probably the worst possible way to reheat it. I've never had too much loss of quality from reheating regardless of method.

Doing a boneless shoulder today for the first time. My friend says he's had good luck with them in the past, so we'll see. Cool part was that we were able to apply rub to the inside space where the bone was. So that should be fun.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

The first thing I did with my WSM fresh out of the box was smoke some ribs. They were delicious.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

You should post pics of the artists hand made char griller.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

So a guy down the street from my moms house cut down a giant oak tree he had and gave me a huge thing of firewood cut logs and things.

What do I need to do to it to be able to smoke with it? Do I have to take off the bark or otherwise prepare it somehow? Can I just toss it in a tree chipper?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Speaking of pork butt. Do smaller ones take heat differently or something? When I do a larger butt the bone pulls out completely clean, and meat shreds apart with just my hands. I've noticed that when I do sub 10lb shoulders, I need forks to pull, they never seem to get as tender, and the bone doesn't come out clean. Using literally the same method, same temps, same everything. Brine, rest, smoke to 150, foil till 190, foil off till 195-210 depending on how impatient the crowd is.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

You could just do what I did with my WSM and make a second door with a hole in it, attach it to some ducting, and the ducting to a second fire box. Alternatively, the Alton Brown method of using a hot plate full of chips/dust instead of second fire box. Now that I think about it, you could probably just toss the hot plate into the WSM itself, onto the coal grate. With the water pan in the way the top probably wouldn't get above the limit for cold smoking.

In other news, I'm trying my first beef short ribs this weekend. Pretty excited.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 31, 2013

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Same here, I tried out lump for the first time a few smokes ago and I had to replenish way before I normally would. I also was expecting at least a slight taste difference, but got nothing.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I tried beef short ribs for the first time yesterday, they came out... alright. Some were extremely fatty, others were almost 100% beef, but most of what I've read says you can't really avoid that. As the guy above me said, don't go too heavy on the rub, I used amazingribs guy's rub (the amount I usually put on pork) and it was indeed overload.

I also had a bit of a temperature snafu, which I think caused them to be underdone. I learned in the middle of the smoke that the dome thermometer on the top of my WSM is basically completely broken. Normally it reads about 10 or so degrees hotter than the grill grate temperature, so I figured it was alright holding at about 240. In fact I did a shoulder and pork ribs about three weeks ago and they came out beautiful, so the gauge must have broken somehow between then and now. The ribs skyrocketed from 80 to 140 in like an hour, so my friend brought over his grill grate thermometer and it turns out the grate temp was almost 300. So I choked everything off until it was 210 and finished the cook at around 5pm, but I think the damage was done and they were all hosed up by that point. Still tastey, but not nearly as tender as they should have been, and rub craziness, so yea. I'll definitely try them again, though. I also have to buy a grill grate thermometer :argh:

Here's a pick of them about 3/4 of the way done.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Basically, it keeps your meat more moist, and adds flavor. Brining only penetrates about 2" into the meat and thats only after excessively long periods of time. Injecting gets it all the way in. As always, amazingribs.com has a great article.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zen_of_injecting_meat_and_meat_injections.html

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

If you do a no foil -> foil -> no foil method to cook them. Saucing them immediately after you take them out of the foil will "dry" the sauce onto the ribs.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

They are only in the foil once. A lot of people say 3 hours open -> 2 hours foiled -> 1 hour open. I generally find 2-2-1 to work a little better, though.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Hey my friend and I were just wondering if you can smoke a chuck roast the same way you would do a brisket or pork shoulder. I can't think of any reason why not, but there doesn't seem to be too much information in it out there. Is there some huge reason why no one does them?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Yea I've learned over the course of my smoking career that with the exception of baby back ribs, it's all generally extremely forgiving. Ran 30 degrees over for 15 minutes? No problem. Ran out of half of your rub ingredients and stores are all closed? Still delicious. Especially with pork butts.

At this point I'm pretty sure that you could just toss one on there with no rub, no brining, no injecting, no foiling, and no thermometer, and as long as it cooks for 12 hours or so hours and gets to ~195, it will be loving delicious.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I cold smoked sockeye salmon before, and it came out fantastic. We used Alton Browns method found here with some minor adjustments (temp): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/smoked-salmon-recipe/index.html

It came out ridiculously amazing. We used two grills as the cold smoker. Lit a few coals and put some wood in grill #1, and then attached some metal ducting to the smokestack and piped it into the intake on grill #2, with the fish on the grate in the middle, between the intake and the stack. It allowed us to keep the temp in grill #2 at ~80 degrees or so.

The next day we made lox/capers/bagels and it was probably the best I've ever had. We had a second piece of fish that went bad in like 4 days though. So eat it quick! I can dig up a picture of the setup when I get home if you want to see it.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Haha! Yes that's it. Welp.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

McSpankWich posted:

I use this on pork:

1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp chili powder (homemade)
1 Tbsp cayenne (or chipotle depending on how I feel)
1 Tbsp of salt
1 Tbsp of black pepper
1 tbsp (smoked) paprika
1/2 Cup of brown sugar

measurements are never precise

For beef I just use salt/pepper/garlic powder/onion powder. Sometimes I just dump a bunch of crap on it. It never comes out bad.

edit: Made that beef thing linked earlier in the thread this weekend. I cut up the peppers/onions beforehand and put them on the bottom tray of my WSM, so they would smoke and the beef drippings would fall into them. Used a bottle of Old Rasputin instead of Guinness. Came out pretty spectacular. I think I still prefer a pork shoulder though.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Do you live in Greenland?