Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Going to get a Kamado Joe at the Costco roadshow soon. Anyone know the prices and accessories they have or any bundles? Any must have accessories? Probably going to get it on a Friday and it's my birthday on Sunday. Would be fun to make a brisket but I've only ever made one once on a propane grill which might be recipe for disaster. Maybe could make a butt on Saturday for practice before the brisket but then I'll have like 20 pounds of meat? I've made that once on a different kamado style grill but it had one of those temp regulators with a fan.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

Pick up that FoodSaver vacuum sealer at Costco too, and then 20lb of pork butt is a blessing and not a curse.

Looks like there's one for $150 and one for $80. I'm seeing recommendations for other ones that are cheaper on sites like wirecutter. Any tips?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
All the Costco roadshows are off their site now. They just added them a few weeks ago so that's concerning.

Anyone have anything to say regarding Classic vs Big Joe? It's only two of us unless my parents are here. I do have a number of local friends. I see lots of recommendations to go big.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Tomfoolery posted:

The bigger ones aren't efficient for grilling since you need to use a whole lot more coal and it takes longer to heat up. But maybe for smoking that's not a problem.

I think I've read people just use a small chimney starters worth and they can still do small grills. I'll have to look into it more. Hard to imagine I'd need the big one but with so so many people saying to go for it, there must be some reason. Looks like the classic fits a full brisket, sometimes needing to lay it on a rib rack. I'm not making brisket for two people though and it would feed a bunch. Same for pork.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Decided to get the Big Joe from Atlanta Grilling Company since someone on reddit pointed out that the Kamado Joe Costco roadshow events are no longer listed. It's $1499 for the BJII once you are in checkout which I think is better or the same as the roadshow price.

Now I need to get charcoal and probably some accessories soon after! Oh and meat.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone have a wifi thermometer recommendation? I have a Thermopro TP20 which is like the best of the best, but it's not wifi. Now that I'm getting a Kamado for smoking, I feel like seeing that data logged over time would be important. Maybe not?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

nwin posted:

Apparently it might be an allergic reaction...maybe pork, maybe the sauce, maybe the rub. More tests to find out later.

Hey brisket buddy...before my ER episode I was at Costco where they were selling whole prime briskets for 3.49/pound so I picked up an 11 pounder and also froze it...it miiiight fit in my WSM once I trim the fat.

Gotta do a ton of research on how to cook this one though.

Is it Eosinophilic Esophagitis? I have that and food can get caught easily. I'm currently on the 6 food elimination diet. Starting week 7 of 8 of removing all 6 potential allergens before my next endoscopy. Will be introducing them gradually after that. It's like being vegan++ but eating lots of meat luckily.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I have about a pound or so of habanero cheddar in a big block. Is there some sort of smoked meat treat I should use it for?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Any recommended pulled pork method to try on my kamado joe? I've done this one for my first two tries https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/recipes/carolina-pulled-pork/ but I want to try a different method. The 300 degrees, the super charred fat cap diced up and mixed in, plus the Lexington mop sauce been unique but want to see what else I should try. I didn't use the same rub or Tang sauce in the recipe.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'll probably just try this which I used pre-smoker https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/perfect-pulled-pork-recipe/ He uses a 5-6lb one at 225, but I think I'll have two ~8lbs. How long might that take at 250? Everything always seems to take longer and we eat too late. Going to have hungry people waiting.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone have a deck mat for their grill/smoker they recommend? I see lots of reviews saying various ones stain their composite decking or that they don't protect from dropped charcoal (I don't really see how that could happen but I've heard it's worth protecting).

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 10, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'd prefer a relatively even/flat surface so no stubbed toes or anything to trip on.

I'm also looking for things to add to my wedding registry so any ideas are welcome. I have a Kamado Big Joe II. Other than things like spatula or tongs, only accessory I have is the Joetisserie.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

mediaphage posted:

do you have a stone/steel for doing flatbreads/pizzas on? might be a good registry option

I went to add the Big Joe soapstone, but it says it's currently unavailable on amazon unfortunately.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone know of a good place to buy Jealous Devil lump? There was a guy on eBay last year that sold the 35lb bags for $35 but he's but a registered user anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

dy. posted:

My local Ace Hardware has it (northernish california) and it’s great stuff.

I guess by good I meant good price since $1/lb shipped is great so that eBay guy spoiled me. It's not normally that cheap.