Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I've been asking question in the sous vide thread. Figured it's not the best place to ask about some of this stuff. Any who, I'm going to be cooking some Spare Ribs in my sous vide and wanted to know how I should dress them while I actually BBQ them for 2-3 hours. Should I dry rub. But bbq sauce on them? Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
You sons of bitches. Here I was expecting a helping hand across the aisle. So far I've made some brisket, pulled pork with the help of the sous vide and it's all come out tasting like delicious smoked meats. I'll go back to the puddling clan if you guys can't handle people not standing by a smoker for 12 hours with you. :shrug:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

They weren't being entirely serious, friend.

I didn't take it seriously.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

What's the theory in SV'ing before smoking? Everything I've read indicates that meat generally stops taking on much smoke after a certain temperature (140-160f). It would seem like smoking first and then throwing it in the bath might work better? What does the bath do to improve spareribs over just smoking?
Yes getting smoke on meat after it's been cooked is a lot more difficult. I've found the more flavorful/stronger the smoke the easier it is to get that to impart flavor on the meat. Woods like Hickory & Mesquite work better then apple or cherry I've found. As for something like the smoke ring, this is something that you will not get unless you add curing salts or something to the meat which will simulate that nice pink ring. However, it's completely cosmetic and doesn't effect the taste.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I would think the bark wouldn't form properly.
I've had no problem forming a bark after SV'ing however, if you are talking about doing it after smoking to start you'd have to throw them back on the smoke to get some of it back as the juices in the bag will cause the bark to be soft.

Just for you guys if you want to see some SV meats here is some pork. This was 24hr in bag and 3hrs smoke.

sterster posted:

So the sous vide pork came out good. This was my first time smoking and it was on a gas grill. Could of had more smoke flavor but the pork was fine. It was super juicy too. As for salt I cut it from 3 Tbs to 2. Sorry for the images being out of order.
gallery http://imgur.com/a/W6u9T

Brisket before I knew anything. 36hr cook 3 hours smoke.

sterster posted:

As promised here is my brisket. I think I added to much rub (salt & pepper, could have done with less pepper IMO). Overall it came out texture wise pretty good. Mother in law thought it was amazing and that I should open my own restaurant lol. Everyone else like it a lot though. Then again it's hard to get good feedback from people who you are directly associated with and I'm my own worst critic. I've got a lot more to learn about cooking this I think as far as how much fat to keep when I cut it. I'd prefer soemthing not so much salt/pepper based rub too. But, this comes with experience.

If you smoking guys have any questions on my SV experience I'd be happy to answer them. Additionally, I'm doing the flat of the brisket from above this weekend and can take better pictures or try anything you guys want to know.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

When you put them on the smoker for 2-3 hours after though, you're going to be getting them well above 160 and losing all/most of that moisture, completely invalidating the whole reason to SV first. With that, what is the benefit you are trying to achieve out of your method?

Edit: I'd probably chill them, sauce them, then toss in with heavy smoke for about an hour, or until a probe reads back at 140, then blast on a hot grill for a minute to crisp the bark. The sauce on the outside will help pick up more smoke flavor.
Thanks for the suggestions. As for loosing a bunch of moister, I haven't found that to be the case. Maybe just on the outside where the bark builds up. I've also had someone who regularly smoke try some of both the brisket and the pulled pork both of which he said were on par with something he would make both in texture and moisture. Salt in the rub during SV helps the meat retain some of the moisture.

sellouts posted:

I love SV but I don't understand applying it to smoked BBQ.
I'm doing it because I have a gas grill and it's not the easiest thing to use. These were my first attempts at low/slow and it seems an easy way to cook. I just set it in the sv for 24hr or what ever then I only have to do 2hr of smoke. Perhaps in the future I'll convert and go full on smoker.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

My experience as well.

Good plan. Going to do about the same thing next weekend for a graduation party. Two shoulders about the same way. Good luck. Your timing sounds good by a wide margin. When done early, always the cooler/towel trick.

Please explain this magic trick involving a cooler and a towel. I assume no rabbits are involved.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

The Anova wins hands down for the pork. You get perfectly cooked and juicy meat but still get the grill and smoke flavor. Also way easier than controlling temp on a smoker. Only con is it takes a good 48 hours for a large piece if you want full pulled pork fork shreddable style.

What is your order of operations for your pork? I've always SV 1st then smoked with an bbq/smoked meat I've done SV. I'm curious about smoking 1st then SV then smoking again. Seems more complicated to do this way though.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

Are people putting rub on stuff they sous? If so, before or after bringing up to temp?
I would think that putting it on prior would help get flavor into the meat and then maybe another rub prior to smoking so you could get bark.

If you smoked/barked first then I could see the bark becoming a gawdawful mess when you sous.

Of course now I am wondering what happens stall-wise.

There are some people who smoke, sv, smoke. Simply because there is a thought that cooked meat doesn't take smoke all that well. Additionally, if you want a smoke ring you have to smoke 1st.

I do my cooks in this order: rub, sv, pull, pat dry, re-rub, smoke.

Bottom Liner posted:

I prefer a quick sear in cast iron, dry rub and vacuum bag, sous vide, then a short smoke of 1-2 hours. I would never smoke before and after, too much work and no tangible benefit.

Agreed it does seem like more work. I suppose you just are looking for the bark which you can do in an oven which wouldn't be too bad.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo he might actually be smoking something right now. This should have been a Toxx challenge.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Pork butt was on sale at the local market. Going to do another SV/Smoke. I was curious though whats the quickest way to build a bark on the pork. Usually I've been smoking for 2-3 hrs but if I can drop that down with the same results that'd be sweet. Also give me your best spicy-ish rubs.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

RisqueBarber posted:

What's the rush?

I can account for the extra time if need be. The only time it's been an issue is when we had everyone over at X time for dinner and it took about 1-2 hours longer and everyones is impatient and hungry and can't wait for a good thing. Like I said though more out of curiosity.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

dy. posted:

Got a huge frozen wild boar shoulder from a buddy a few months ago (it is now pretty drat freezer-burned thanks to the bag popping open at some point). Figured it be perfect for a sous vide + smoke since boar is so lean.

Tentative plan is:

1. Let the shoulder thaw until it gets to fridge temp. Dry off and salt for ~12hr or whatever.
2. Cut in half, rub, and bag - it's really long and don't see another way to make it actually fit in a bag besides cutting it
3. Sous Vide @ 165 for 24 hours (kind of guessing on time)
4. Take out of bath, reserve drippings, dry off and re-rub
5. Smoke @ 300 for 90min or until a nice bark forms

Anyone attempted this before? I'm fairly new to sous-viding so don't really know the best way to tackle this. Would love some feedback.

Oh also - don't really have a sous vide container that's big enough for this monstrosity so might just use a home depot bucket or something. Is that too deep for the circulator to maintain accurate temp?

Going to let you know as I've done a number of 'bbq & smoke' SV things. The smoke isn't going to be as prevalent as it is when smoking from raw. As for a cooking vessel I bought a cooler and cut a hole in it to use for big/long cooks. It's more efficient for the circulator.
This is the one I use - https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Can-...748610593&psc=1

If you want more of a smoke you could smoke 1st then SV. I've always thought this was silly though as you'd have to put it back on the smoke to get the bark. Additionally, I've never cared for final temp stuff, it was just about getting the bark.

As for time, Kenji hhas pork shoulder (5 to 7 pounds total) for pulled pork which he does 165°F (74°C) for more traditionally textured pulled pork, for 18-24hrs.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe.html

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah they were thin but I needed to cook them. Only a 2 hour smoke but sous vide’d before and drat we’re they good.

What was your cook SV? Did you cool the ribs prior to smoking?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Just dropped a 6 lb pork butt that I SV'd for 24 hours on the way to the smoker. It exploded all over the concrete. :(

Picked up and cleaned off what I could god damit I'm not wasting this. Also don't tell my guest.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've always rubbed the pork prior to bagging. After the cook put it on a cooling rack that I can transfer direclty to the smoker, cut bag. Let set to cool / pat dry with paper towels while trying not to remove to much rub. If there was an obvious spot lacking rub I'll splash some on it otherwise I just wait for it to cool for 20-30 min then throw it into the smoke.

RisqueBarber posted:

Is there a beginner sous vide guide someone can endorse? I'm not even sure I know how to pronounce it.

There is a SV thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640 guess you could start there.

sterster fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 20, 2018

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Here is what a tomhawk looks like. You have a bone in ribeye. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb9b6mrYgZ8

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Okay which one of you is going to pony up on this. Saw this on my facebook feed. Can't say it looks that good to be honesty.
Smoked Watermelon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2yJQeVYv24

sterster fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 8, 2018

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

:siren: I will do the watermelon :siren:

Should be coming up within the week. Only reason I'm doing it is because after mentioning it as a lol moment the wife said "Oh yeah, I saw that. Do it."

God Bless you an your wifes Facebook feed. Anxiously awaiting with antici........pation

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Be careful taking them out of the bath/bag. They will most likely fall apart if I had to guess. I try to use my really long tongs to grab the length of rips from one end to the other. ( note these are pork rips so maybe you won't have the same problem.)
Also you better post picture.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

I eat baby skin posted:

It seems like it would be difficult to raise half a hog.

At least he's not going whole hog.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
24hr Sv pork shoulder 2 hr apple wood smoke

sneaky 1776 tea in the background. Also foot on the floor. Look I was drunk don't judge

sterster fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 27, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Brisket smoked for 2.5hrs. Hoping to introduce more smoke flavor and ring before I start the puddle and then back on to the 'smoker'. God I just need to pony up for something real.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
^ I'm not going to say you're wrong. Call me a fat rear end or what ever but give me that juicy fatty point. Also I've really taken a liking to making burnt ends with the point and some delicious caramelized bbq sauce.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I love that this thread is poping off for the 4th. You all better take some pictures of your meat so we can all circle jerk later.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
2hr hickory smoke.
36hr puddle
2hr smoke
Burnt ends and brisket, money shots will come later.

sterster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 5, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
drat I feel bad for you guys. My Fry's (aka Krogers) carries packers. Also, buy the whole thing, cut the point and freeze the flat for later or make pastrami/corned beeef or freeze what you don't use.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Maybe they are like this God like meat. Like how lobsters are these bottom feeders of the ocean and people love them. Maybe trash pandas taste delicious.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Canuckistan posted:

Speaking of brisket, here's a winning video where Sous Vide Everything decided to sous vide an entire packer for 30 days at 130f. What could go wrong with cooking meat for 30 days in the danger zone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4of3b7Xb4Rs

Spoiler - the meat was extremely spoiled

I think that 131 is too low temp and that 132 is the magic number at like 4 hours for pasteurization. Anyway, doing eve and 132 for a month can't possible have worked anyway and I'm sure it would still end up being terrible and rotten/spoiled. Also lol at one of the youtube comments. "You'd better be careful of maggots!"

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

5436 posted:

I just got a smoker, the tiniest Weber Smokey Mountain.

What else should I get? I figured a spritz bottle, wood, and charcoal.

Any opinions on hybrid sous-vide/smoking? is it a dumb idea? My gut says you won't get the right bark.

I've only done the SV and then 'smoked' on a gas grill. You can develop the right bark. Given my 'tools' it's probably the best I got. Plus I don't have to sit around waiting for something to hit certain temps. Take that as you wish. I know I've got pics on some of my post history here.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
My baby butt for pulled pork. Puddled then on the grill to finish. It's this small because the other 2/3 were used for AL Pastor meat pictured below.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

ZombieCrew posted:

How long do you sous vide a brisket at your temps?

I've done sv brisket a couple of times with varying degrees of success, honestly I think it depends on the cut of the flat I get. Some coming out perfect other dryer. I've been following Kenji's recipe but might try different time/temps next time. His suggestion is 155f for minimum of 24-36hrs. Then finishing up on a gas grill at 275-300 for about 2hrs for bark.

I'm open to trying something different if I can get more consistent results. I've seen recipes for something like 135f for 50hrs.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've got a point from a previous brisket cook. Was basically going to follow this guide for brunt ends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVOh8430oCs However, taking any suggestion on woods, sauces, times etc as this will be my first go.

sterster fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 15, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Brunt ends came out delicious. Paired with some baked beans and cilantro lime buttered corn.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
He added spaghetti, duh!

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
This is really making me want to make my own pastrami. Looks drat good. Do you know the starting weight vs the finished product. I have half of a flat in the fridge and curious if it's worth doing with that small of a piece.

sterster fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 11, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Speaking of legs, I picked up some 'fresh' turkey legs. Curious if anyone has general advice or tips before I just yolo this.

EDIT: So looks like I need to brine these bad boys for 24 hours. I've got 3lbs of turkey leg here and I remember you guys talking about being very specific about how much salt to use. Suggestions on brine/salt quantity. I know someone posted a bine calculator.

sterster fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 13, 2021

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I did my part with SV burnt ends, 2hr smoke. corn and watermelon

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've practically branded myself on my seatbelt when it was 120 outside in Phx. I've known people who've 'baked' cookies in their car. Easily doable to get a salmon or steak up to ~133-5 ish. Not sure I'd eat it but it would be food safe.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I always season an reseal, liquid smoke optional imo. I do think that allowing to cool before the smoke is key. Remove from bag dash more of seasoning, not too thick. Then smoke 2ish hours for bark. Being cool allows the smoke to condense out and provides a better smoke flavor from what I've found. It still won't be like full on smoke butt tho.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Crack the lid a touch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Zarin posted:

What else is pretty easy/produces excellent results for the beginner?

I'd suggest Tom turkey legs. It only takes some curing math so you don't kill everyone. But other than that a couple hours smoke time and bam. Delicious turkey legs reminiscent of Renaissance festival or your local state fair. Hardest part is finding them. Good recipe on amazing ribs.com search Disney turkey legs.