Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Hotlapping Renault 3.5s in rF2. Server is coolgame, password is pass. Please note that I have almost no experience with the 3.5s so don't make fun of me if you join. All are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Don't get the GTX560. Most are stock overclocked and a whole load of trouble in regards to stability.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I've found that moving the brake bias on the F2's forward to about 65% greatly improves stopping ability. Coming into la source at Spa on default i have to brake slowly and early to avoid spinning the car, but now i can brake much later and harder.

Got my lap time from 3:56 to 3:53 just with this alone :)

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Did either of the West Brothers or anyone else in the know ever come out and talk about what happened with Racing Legends? Its pretty obvious we're never going to see anything released from it (its now 8 and a half years since the last update on the homepage), but wrapping up the whole sorry tale from their perspective would probably be interesting to read.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I feel like the FFB on the 3.5s is too floaty for its own good. I don't play with any constant centering spring turned on, but I don't feel like I should have to, since all the other cars do a good job of making the wheel feel direct and heavy. I'm not getting that sensation with the 3.5 -- I feel disconnected from the road.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Helicon One posted:

Did either of the West Brothers or anyone else in the know ever come out and talk about what happened with Racing Legends? Its pretty obvious we're never going to see anything released from it (its now 8 and a half years since the last update on the homepage), but wrapping up the whole sorry tale from their perspective would probably be interesting to read.

Yeah it's a shame neither of them ever bothered to log on and at least post "Yeah, ain't happening".

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

So, I've done a lot of racing in iRacing, I've been playing a lot of Project Cars which actually feels better (which may not be realistic) to me. I was less enamoured with rFactor 1. Before that I was a GPL and Indycar Racing nut.

Should I buy rFactor 2?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Dudley posted:

So, I've done a lot of racing in iRacing, I've been playing a lot of Project Cars which actually feels better (which may not be realistic) to me. I was less enamoured with rFactor 1. Before that I was a GPL and Indycar Racing nut.

Should I buy rFactor 2?
rFactor 2 actually has feeling in the tires unlike rFactor 1. I'd give it a shot.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Awesome, yeah feedback was the worst thing, both tyres and wheel.

It's actually the worst thing about iRacing, at max strength the FF is barely noticeable.

got to be worth 40 US fuckbucks anyway. Cheers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Project Cars has ongoing FFB work. Every week feels a little different. The tire and suspension forces to FFB conversion code is parametrized to boot and currently open for player tinkering. SMS welcomes submitting your files, if you mess with the parameters, to try to find a common ground for release. Right now, it's XML editing, but an UI is supposed to follow.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, I'm willing to give CARS a pass on most things but actually I think it's already better than iRacing in that regard. I can't entirely speak for realism (the karts I race are much slower than the ones in Project Cars), PCars "feels" more right a lot of the time than literally anything else ever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

None of the sims is 100% accurate. They're all using real life values with slight tweaks to them for feel. How that translates for you all depends on quality and fidelity of the tire model, vehicle dynamics and also most importantly the FFB.

In the end, if you're talking about the sim bigwigs, it's subjective, since they're all close in terms of physics. Of course, if you start including things like Auto Club Revolution, you can start making objective claims that certain games are bullshit in terms of physical realism.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, totally, all I've got to go is I have driven decent length races (was part of a 24hr team last year) in some kind of machinery and extrapolating up.

Tracks are one thing iRacing does seem to have rather nailed.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Anyone here play Race 07 / GTR Evolution / Race Injection etc on steam? If yes, add me on steam. My name is "Hkfalken" Would be cool to race with you guys.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Falken posted:

Anyone here play Race 07 / GTR Evolution / Race Injection etc on steam? If yes, add me on steam. My name is "Hkfalken" Would be cool to race with you guys.

I own Race 07, but I never play it, so I'm probably terrible, but I'll add you. What's your Steam?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Hkfalken as it says in the previous post. :)

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Someone please kill me.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

One thing I really like about Forza and GT is that you can upgrade cars, what is the game that is most similar to those on PC?

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

heeebrew posted:

One thing I really like about Forza and GT is that you can upgrade cars, what is the game that is most similar to those on PC?

I used to love GT4, and it's what got me interested in the serious sims on PC. I would kill for a game with ultra-detailed physics with the same kind of progression system as GT5 or Forza...

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything out there for PC that's really comparable in quality to the latest installments of either of those series.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I really like the force feedback in Forza. It's not exaggerated like how some PC sims are, it just feels... right. I just wish the sim was more in depth with stuff like flag rules, qualifying, warmup laps, full control of car during pitstop, pitlane more alive (Although GT4/5 does the best job out of all PC sims with it's animated stops)

Forza is still great fun for me to just drive with though. It loses alot when I start racing against people without all the extra stuff.

Speaking of extra stuff, I just got a Leo Bodnar SLI-Pro. This thing is amazing, and I can pretty much turn 90% of my HUD off as it's all there behind my wheel! :)

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

There's a new build of the rFactor 2 beta out.

The Historic series was updated and a new track, Brianza (which is Monza), was added. Don't forget to get those, too.

Performance is a lot smoother for me, particularly when combined with the new 304.48 GeForce drivers. I no longer have any hiccuping or stuttering, which was an occasional problem before.

The vehicle and track selection screens now include a proper list view instead of that goofy spinner.

The Historic update includes the Brabham BT20, which is great fun. I don't know where exactly it falls in terms of power. I'd say closest to the F2 cars. It slides all over the place, but it's easy to control and recover.

Monza includes some great bumpy oval turns that are nerve-wracking to drive at maximum speed. Much like Spa, it requires some major concentration to successfully navigate at anything close to a racing pace.

This keeps getting better and better.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The Brianza track is performance hell. It's by far the worst optimised track so far, I get as low as 20 FPS with 5 AI on track. I dont know how, because the texture repetiton on the road does my head in.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, I got my DSD toys. :) Going to make extra holes in the SLI pro tab so it sits lower on the CSR Elite, and maybe use spacers to bring it out from the wheel base.

Also, still trying to figure out what I want the rightmost switch to do. I can't think of any other adjustable car bits...

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Thanks for the tips on the Frex Shift+, Falken; mine arrived yesterday :)

It's taken me quite a bit of playing around in the rfactor 2 PLR file to get it to shift right, with stock settings it was jumping gears a lot, and ended up needing to set it to 'dont shift again until last shift has completed' mode. I havent had the same problem since.

It's a decent bit of kit but really not without its faults. I'm having occasional issues where it seems to suddenly no longer be recognised by RF2, or will suddenly shift up but not down, etc. I'm kind of 'meh' on it for now, but i think with the right kind of sports car mod it could really add immersion. I may have a look at adjusting some of it aswell because when downshifting i find if you just tap it, it hits the switch enough to activate the shift, so that might be an easy fix. It's really a very simplistic yet genius design.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The switch on mine is quite robust, and it will only shift if you mean it. Also, as I've wired mine to my CSR Elite it's essentially just reading it as 2 button inputs through the wheel. I've not had the same issue with the shifting.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

An Enormous Boner posted:

The Historic update includes the Brabham BT20, which is great fun. I don't know where exactly it falls in terms of power. I'd say closest to the F2 cars. It slides all over the place, but it's easy to control and recover.

That'd be about right, the BT20 is a first gen 3l F1 car. It's basically what everyone else had when Lotus and Ford turned up with te famous 49 (see Grand pix legends and project cars) and cunted everyone in the face.

Triple20
Aug 16, 2005

In the end I guess it's easy after all
The Simbin/RaceRoom people released RaceRoom The Game 2 back in May. It's a free-with-registration, ad-supported, 1.1GB download. There are hot lap competitions every week or so to win copies of Race07.

Right now it has the following tracks:
Imola
Laguna Seca
Nuerburgring GP
Hockenheim GP
Hockenheim Nat'l
Hockenheim Short

And the following cars:
BMW 320si E90
Radical SR3
Matech GT1
Chevy Camaro
Some Formula 1 Car

It supported my G27 (and had a lot of profiles for other wheels listed under controls) and runs fine on my pretty old laptop, but I don't know good physics from bad physics. It plays a lot like Race07 and doesn't have any meaningful multiplayer, but it's a nice free thing you can try if you're interested in sim racing but don't want to spend any money.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Falken posted:

Well, I got my DSD toys. :) Going to make extra holes in the SLI pro tab so it sits lower on the CSR Elite, and maybe use spacers to bring it out from the wheel base.

Also, still trying to figure out what I want the rightmost switch to do. I can't think of any other adjustable car bits...

What... what happens when you push the AIDS button? :ohdear:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Triple20 posted:

The Simbin/RaceRoom people released RaceRoom The Game 2 back in May. It's a free-with-registration, ad-supported, 1.1GB download. There are hot lap competitions every week or so to win copies of Race07.

Right now it has the following tracks:
Imola
Laguna Seca
Nuerburgring GP
Hockenheim GP
Hockenheim Nat'l
Hockenheim Short

And the following cars:
BMW 320si E90
Radical SR3
Matech GT1
Chevy Camaro
Some Formula 1 Car

It supported my G27 (and had a lot of profiles for other wheels listed under controls) and runs fine on my pretty old laptop, but I don't know good physics from bad physics. It plays a lot like Race07 and doesn't have any meaningful multiplayer, but it's a nice free thing you can try if you're interested in sim racing but don't want to spend any money.
It uses the same engine as the Race 07/GTR Evolution series, and the content should integrate into your race 07 setup. The physics seem pretty solid for the series.

Also the AIDS button brings up the window with the list of driver aids in rfactor. Though I rarely use any of them so I'll probably shunt that entire line along and change the first in the row for the pit speed limiter or starter.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The rfactor 2 Renault Clio Cup "V.0.1" is pretty drat good. It wasnt supposed to be released but some ISI tester accidentally let it get out on a test server. First front wheel drive car and handles very well. You can really throw the back end out and keep your foot planted and drive out of a slide. On occasions where the back end seems like its going too far, you can correct by steering where the rear end is going (I cant remember what this is called but it works In Real Life(tm) )

It might be the best car yet :)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Opposite lock?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, iRacing looks really cool, but their whole pricing structure is insane. Subscriptions and paid cars and tracks? Does no one on their team realize they'd get way more paying customers if they just had the subscription model? Sim games are one of the genres where the die-hards constantly bitch that their hobby is dying, but then still insist in massive hurdles that drive away almost everyone.

Anways, is there even a ballpark release for rFactor 2? Are they saying anything like "we hope it's this year", or is it just it's done when it's done?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, iRacing looks really cool, but their whole pricing structure is insane. Subscriptions and paid cars and tracks? Does no one on their team realize they'd get way more paying customers if they just had the subscription model? Sim games are one of the genres where the die-hards constantly bitch that their hobby is dying, but then still insist in massive hurdles that drive away almost everyone.

Anways, is there even a ballpark release for rFactor 2? Are they saying anything like "we hope it's this year", or is it just it's done when it's done?

It is the only way they can make it viable. Iracing does not have the mass appeal that most other MMO games have, being a niche category of gaming. They only have ~30,000 active members, so the revenue stream is quite a bit smaller than WOW or anything similar.

They need to charge for content to stay alive and provide the pretty fantastic updates and maintenance they do. Every year they are able to add between 3 and 5 tracks and at least 2 cars to the service. They rescann older tracks that have been repaved, they have build updates every 12 weeks like clockwork, they have a fantastic matchmaking service, run a championchip, have live TV web broadcasts of the championships, and are always working to get new content. They worked for 2 years to finally get Bathherst, just signed a deal with the BTTC for 5 new tracks in their series, recently announced the RUF Porsche, and a BTTC Honda as well. If you buy content in bulk you get up to 30% discounts, and they are running specials for reupping membership all the time. I don't mean to sound like a salesman, but I am extremely impressed by the service as a whole.

Compare that to Rfactor, where updates seem to trickle in on a yearly basis, and all the players have to organize themselves, finding a race can be a bitch, and managing all the mods can be a pain in the rear end. You seriously get what you pay for, and it is totally worth it.

It was put best by someone I don't remember who, who said,: "If you think about iracing as a game, it is extremely expensive. If you think about it as a hobby, it is fantastic bang for your buck. If you think about it as a simulator, it is extremely cheap."

I think of it as a hobby, and it is totally worth it.

Try it for 3 months, I think they have a 3 months for the price of 1 deal for new subs right now. With theat new sub you get 6 cars ('34 Legends, Street Stock, MX-5, Specc Racer Ford, the Pontiac Solstice, and the Cadillac CTS-V Racecar, and 6 or 7 tracks (USA international Speedway, Charlotte Motor Speedway, Lanier Speedway, South Boston speedway, Oxford Plains, Okyiama, Lime Rock, and Summit Race way. It will take you 2 months just to get through that content and have given everything a fair shot to see if you like it. If you like it, resub.

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 29, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Billy the Mountain posted:

It is the only way they can make it viable. Iracing does not have the mass appeal that most other MMO games have, being a niche category of gaming. They only have ~30,000 active members, so the revenue stream is quite a bit smaller than WOW or anything similar.

They need to charge for content to stay alive and provide the pretty fantastic updates and maintenance they do. Every year they are able to add between 3 and 5 tracks and at least 2 cars to the service. They rescann older tracks that have been repaved, they have build updates every 12 weeks like clockwork, they have a fantastic matchmaking service, run a championchip, have live TV web broadcasts of the championships, and are always working to get new content. They worked for 2 years to finally get Bathherst, just signed a deal with the BTTC for 5 new tracks in their series, recently announced the RUF Porsche, and a BTTC Honda as well. If you buy content in bulk you get up to 30% discounts, and they are running specials for reupping membership all the time. I don't mean to sound like a salesman, but I am extremely impressed by the service as a whole.

Compare that to Rfactor, where updates seem to trickle in on a yearly basis, and all the players have to organize themselves, finding a race can be a bitch, and managing all the mods can be a pain in the rear end. You seriously get what you pay for, and it is totally worth it.

It was put best by someone I don't remember who, who said,: "If you think about iracing as a game, it is extremely expensive. If you think about it as a hobby, it is fantastic bang for your buck. If you think about it as a simulator, it is extremely cheap."

I think of it as a hobby, and it is totally worth it.

Try it for 3 months, I think they have a 3 months for the price of 1 deal for new subs right now. With theat new sub you get 6 cars ('34 Legends, Street Stock, MX-5, Specc Racer Ford, the Pontiac Solstice, and the Cadillac CTS-V Racecar, and 6 or 7 tracks (USA international Speedway, Charlotte Motor Speedway, Lanier Speedway, South Boston speedway, Oxford Plains, Okyiama, Lime Rock, and Summit Race way. It will take you 2 months just to get through that content and have given everything a fair shot to see if you like it. If you like it, resub.

I agree that iRacing is an amazing service. I'd argue though that it's not that they need to charge more because they only have 30,000 members, it's that they only have 30,000 members because they charge too much.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Falken posted:

Opposite lock?

I suppose that's the closest, but I thought there was another phrase for when a FWD car did that.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
iRacing doesn't provide a short trial, that makes zero sense for a subscription game.

It seems to me like the iRacing team isn't very intelligent about the way they handle things like that. Really they seem to be bad at most things.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Brownie posted:

iRacing doesn't provide a short trial, that makes zero sense for a subscription game.

It seems to me like the iRacing team isn't very intelligent about the way they handle things like that. Really they seem to be bad at most things.

I believe they are developing that now actually.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Billy the Mountain posted:

just signed a deal with the BTTC for 5 new tracks in their series, recently announced the RUF Porsche, and a BTTC Honda as well.

At the risk of being picky, the deal is not with the BTCC but with MSV (the track owners), Team Dynamics and BARC and only 3 of the tracks in the recent deal are BTCC tracks. That said, the only one they're now missing is Rockingham (and the new layout at Silverstone).

All good though.

All I'd really like with iRacing is for them to fix that the force feedback is so astonishingly weak for some reason compared to say, Project CARS.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
iracing once again prove their professionalism by starting the Prototypes behind the Cadillacs in the latest world event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YMEbHagup4&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Largepotato posted:

iracing once again prove their professionalism by starting the Prototypes behind the Cadillacs in the latest world event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YMEbHagup4&hd=1
Weren't the ISR guys really stoked for this race?

• Locked thread