Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There has been a surprising lack of F1 2012 talk by Codemasters. It comes out September 18th, supposedly for the PC, but I see no where to actually pre-order the PC version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

RaceRoom immediately detected my Driving Force GT and worked nicely. In the first loading screen, it explained that all of the driving aids are on, but when it's released you'll be able to have a much more "realistic experience". I doubt it'll deliver quite the realism we expect compared to the hardcore sims, but it looks like a decent product to help bleed audiences in the right direction, if they choose.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

I said come in! posted:

There has been a surprising lack of F1 2012 talk by Codemasters. It comes out September 18th, supposedly for the PC, but I see no where to actually pre-order the PC version.

Sadly I don't think we'll see preorders this time. Which kinda sucks.

But we do have a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vVN8HQlxyo

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

An Enormous Boner posted:

Hotlapping the 1960s cars around Spa in rFactor 2, if anyone wants to join in. The server is 'coolgame' and the password is 'pass'.

Same server info but its now on hotlapping for the recently-released Formula Two cars.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
So I tried the F1 2012 demo today, as it just dropped in Steam along with preorders and while it doesn't feel like a massive change from the last two years, it does feel different in the steering. I haven't put a lot of time into it and I was playing on a 360 pad, I can't pick what about it feels different. I think it feels a bit twitchy. Dunno. It might be nothing. It looks nice though.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

tehsid posted:

So I tried the F1 2012 demo today, as it just dropped in Steam along with preorders and while it doesn't feel like a massive change from the last two years, it does feel different in the steering. I haven't put a lot of time into it and I was playing on a 360 pad, I can't pick what about it feels different. I think it feels a bit twitchy. Dunno. It might be nothing. It looks nice though.
It feels wooden as gently caress with my Fanatec.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Falken posted:

We'll need to adjust the settings. I found the same thing. One thing I was happy about was not having to use xpadder to navigate the menus with the fanatec though. I just wish the buttons hadn't been rearranged after the last fanatec driver update. Having the left paddle be the "ok" button in the menus is annoying as gently caress.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Whoever said Croft for rFactor 2 was an excellent track was dead on. It's so fun to drive, particularly in the Clios. Lots and lots of graphical detail, too.

Here's a link.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I might just be retarded, but what happened to the Project Cars thread? I can't find it at all.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Cojawfee posted:

I might just be retarded, but what happened to the Project Cars thread? I can't find it at all.

No one has really posted in it in a while:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442852

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thanks, I was searching for project cars. Forgot the person who made the thread made it an acronym.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, there hasn't really been anything to talk about lately with Project CARS. The game still has a very long ways to go before it is finished.

Falken posted:

The force feedback is non-existent on my Logitech wheel. I give up on Codemaster's games. They clearly aren't even trying anymore to ship quality products, so gently caress them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's clearly an arcade game. I played the game with my CSR's sensitivity set to off and it was controllable but entirely boring. Not fun to drive as Forza, not as challenging as iRacing or Project CARS.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

The force feedback is non-existent on my Logitech wheel. I give up on Codemaster's games. They clearly aren't even trying anymore to ship quality products, so gently caress them.

Thank you for finally, finally seeing things from my point of view, Dirt 3 OP. Codemasters is the most frustrating company making games right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brownie posted:

Thank you for finally, finally seeing things from my point of view, Dirt 3 OP. Codemasters is the most frustrating company making games right now.

I know we've butted heads before, and didn't see eye to eye on a lot of stuff, but I've actually started to warm up to your opinions about racing sims lately.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

I know we've butted heads before, and didn't see eye to eye on a lot of stuff, but I've actually started to warm up to your opinions about racing sims lately.

I know, it wasn't meant to be mean spirited or anything, just a little teasing that's all!

News about Project Cars should be coming soon, the Seta Tyre Model that their physics guy has been working on has been passed on to the rest of the team and is implemented well enough that one of the other developers has been posting a bit about it. The time scale for release in a public build is only "weeks, not months" away! Yaaaay

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Man, I am really in a racing mood. I recently picked up a 360 controller for my PC gaming shenanigans (Racing games, FIFA 13 etc). I have Rfactor 1 but the mods and handling are just so hokey I can't get into it. I know the quality of the races/handling etc are upto the modders discretion but something out the box would be good. Besides the steering is awful with a game-pad, way too twitchy!

I've not really followed Rfactor 2, but am going to have a good look now, is it shaping up rather nicely?

Any other good PC racing games? I have Gran Turismo 5, but can't bring myself to face the awful menus anymore...maybe in 2004.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I have enough trouble racing sims with a G25; a gamepad is going to infuriate you. RFactor 1/2 really need a wheel to have proper control with precise steering/brake/throttle etc, and for RF2 you need a belt driven wheel, as a gear driven wheel has a death rattle with RF2's new force feedback system.

Check out project CARS (pCARS) which might be easier with a gamepad, but I would still suggest a wheel if its something you plan to do at any length.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

You need a wheel to play racing sims.

simosimo posted:

I have Rfactor 1 but the mods and handling are just so hokey I can't get into it.

No, they aren't.

Here are some of the best mods:

http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Toyota%20Supra%20MKIV

http://www.premiersimracing.com/smf/index.php?topic=24.0

http://historicgt.8.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=69 (Requires a GT Legends installation, too, but it's extremely good and has a ton of cars that you won't drive in any other sim)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I had a DFGT wheel for GT5, but dumped it as I didn't have a place to easily set it up in my gaming room, plus GT5 was lovely on the PS3 pad :allears:. Ah well, never mind, speaking of RF mods, the mods that were quite enjoyable were the AE86 cup, The Skoda octavia cup and the STCC mod. I have a BTCC mod too [90's and early 2000's] but the handling really lets it down.

Toca 1 on the PS1 is my rose tinted vision game, so at least I can replicate the twitchy handling within Rfactor.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Anyone have racing wheel suggestions. Was looking to spend under $200 for a new one. But right now I see ncix has the G27 on sale for $250. Is it worth it at that price? Im not the most hardcore of racing simmer but I do want something that will last. Currently looking at the G27 and DFGT. I dont know of any other wheels to look at.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Joink posted:

Anyone have racing wheel suggestions. Was looking to spend under $200 for a new one. But right now I see ncix has the G27 on sale for $250. Is it worth it at that price? Im not the most hardcore of racing simmer but I do want something that will last. Currently looking at the G27 and DFGT. I dont know of any other wheels to look at.

Lots of people have the G27 and swear by it. I have a DFGT and it's quite good, but I regret not investing in the G27, for the H shifter, clutch, and nicer flappy paddles.

Fun aside : I picked up an original Motorola Droid from another goon for 40 bucks on SA mart, and it's now my dedicated tach/gears/shiftlight display. Worth every penny.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I've had a G27 for a while, a local store was getting out of video games/accessories and were selling all of their stock for $140 per unit. Only one complaint, you can't have another controller plugged in at the same time as the wheel or most games will complain. Something screwy with the drivers.

Everything else is excellent, build quality, shifter, force feedback are all good.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

With a DFGT, you're basically paying for a quality wheel -- the wheel part of the wheel -- and not a lot else. The pedals/paddles are pretty bad and the lack of an H-shifter with a clutch is a bummer. Still, I bought mine over a year ago and I use it constantly (like nearly daily, when I can). It's a *very* good value for its price. If you've got the spare dough and you won't miss it, get the G27, because the additional features and the improved build quality are probably worth it. If you're not 100% positive that you'll get a lot of use out of it in the long term, get the DFGT. Either way, you're going to be happy.

That's what I think, at least.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
WRC3 is out and it's great fun on the PC with a fanatec wheel in logitech mode with the logitech drivers. It was super frustrating with fanatec drivers because the game refused to recognize that it was a wheel so it was mapping non-linear steering to the wheel thinking it was an analog stick and it was just miserable.

In case you don't know, you can use the wheel in logitech mode which emulates a logitech wheel, which many more games recognize as an actual wheel. To do that you uninstall the fanatec drivers, install the logitech drivers, during the detection phase of the logitech installer you plug the wheel in and hold down the "back" and "connect" buttons to put it in ps3/logitech mode instead of just the "back" button which puts it in PC mode. You'll have to remap all your buttons but once you're in game it works perfectly. The only downside to using the wheel in Logitech mode that I can find is that the led panel on the wheel doesn't do anything anymore. The latest drivers let games use the led panel to display things when in fanatec mode, like in F1 2012 it acts as a spedo.

After switching to the logitech drivers I tried it out in F1 2012, WRC3, and NFS:The Run (yeah yeah, I know, but sometimes it's fun) and it worked perfectly on all 3 and solved a few problems in each one that I'd been experiencing with the fanatec drivers. The F1 2012 problem was weird button mapping. The left paddle was the "ok" button in the menus and that couldn't be remapped (without getting funky with something like xpadder). The logitech drivers solved that issue and now the correct buttons are mapped to the correct places. WRC3 was non-linear steering and that was fixed by the game properly recognizing that it's a wheel and not a gamepad, and the same with NFS:The Run.

WRC3 doesn't have very good presentation, but the driving is really fun, a lot more realistic than the Dirt series and it has all of the real wrc events and cars and it's not "sick drift bro" poo poo either like Dirt. Lots of nice long stages too. It's not richard burns rally, but it is fun, up to date, and looks really nice at 1080p/60hz. I also prefer the co-driver in WRC3 to the dirt co-driver. I'm just pretty psyched to have a proper rally game that looks nice.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 16, 2012

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Also : WRC3 is NOT out on steam. If you're like me and really prefer to give gaben your money, check out the game's bullshit Steam Green Light Page and vote for it or whatever, because apparently you can't just publish a drat game on there any more?

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

WRC3 got a bunch of really mediocre reviews :( looking for more input here before I purchase.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

cuntrageous posted:

WRC3 got a bunch of really mediocre reviews :( looking for more input here before I purchase.

The mediocre reviews I read all seemed to be written by people who didn't understand the concept of rally racing and were expecting the game to be like the Dirt series. That being said I haven't read any GOOD reviews (or any for that matter) by people who actually know what rallying is. I can tell you one thing though, it's leaps and bounds better than the last WRC iteration.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WRC3 is a big improvement over last years. Unlike Codemasters with the F1 series, WRC is actually making improvements each year and getting better. It feels like the developers are serious with making this into a real good rally simulation that at that same time is accessible to everyone.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

I said come in! posted:

WRC3 is a big improvement over last years. Unlike Codemasters with the F1 series, WRC is actually making improvements each year and getting better. It feels like the developers are serious with making this into a real good rally simulation that at that same time is accessible to everyone.

As much as I hate Codemasters, and I do, I really do, they've released 7 patches for F1 2012. While it sort of shows just how buggy their games are, that's a surprising level of supports that greatly exceeds their previous attempts.

That said I am really disappointed that WRC doesn't support my Fanatec :( I was really looking forward to this game.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Brownie posted:

As much as I hate Codemasters, and I do, I really do, they've released 7 patches for F1 2012. While it sort of shows just how buggy their games are, that's a surprising level of supports that greatly exceeds their previous attempts.

That said I am really disappointed that WRC doesn't support my Fanatec :( I was really looking forward to this game.

Read my post a few posts up. It shows how to use the fanatec in logitech mode and it works wonderfully with everything including WRC 3.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

GutBomb posted:

Read my post a few posts up. It shows how to use the fanatec in logitech mode and it works wonderfully with everything including WRC 3.

I read it, but that's not exactly native support. The force feedback you get with the two different drivers isn't the same, and it's a pretty big hassle to have to do that.

I won't have a chance to try out the game for a little while so hopefully they patch in support maybe???

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Brownie posted:

I read it, but that's not exactly native support. The force feedback you get with the two different drivers isn't the same, and it's a pretty big hassle to have to do that.

I won't have a chance to try out the game for a little while so hopefully they patch in support maybe???

they might, but I found the FFB to be a bit better with the logitech drivers, mostly because fanatec's PC support for FFB is piss poor.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Here's something I didn't think I'd ever post about again.

:siren: LFS updated! :siren:

quote:

List of changes from 0.6B to 0.6E :

Improved multiplayer system :

Guest only needs host packets to continue processing
No waiting for packets from players with slow connections
Leaving a host is instantaneous even if a guest is connecting
Longer timeouts avoid disconnection due to short interruptions

New TCP packet buffering and storage system :

Reduces the number of physical packets sent
Major improvement when many InSim buttons are sent
Fixes some ways to lose connection on a busy server

New "instant" join system using cached packets :

Much faster connection to multiplayer hosts
Connection appears instant to the other guests
You can pit / spectate / etc. while a player is connecting
No OOS caused by joining while objects are added or removed

Other multiplayer updates :

New hacking protection and cheat detection systems
Improved user name checks during and after connection
Lag bars at bottom left show ping or delay of all guests
Ping time (or delay) shown as number in list of connections
OOS / CPW messages now show user name instead of player name
Instead of "LAG (seconds)" now "name (seconds)" is displayed
No buffer overflows from hangs or operating system time changes
Auto rename when you join a host with someone else's player name
User name in brackets now shown at end of disconnection messages
Left / right click on player name in replay now works as online
Race setup screen /clear command can now only be used by admins
Use of UDP or TCP is shown beside host name in connections list
Removed notification sound when a car is spectated by an admin
Added /player command to dedicated host setup.cfg file

LFS World statistics fixes :

Wrong PB recorded if custom checkpoints added without restart
Live host progress did not show changes to laps or qualifying
After forced to spectate by admin - status remained "in race"
Adding an AI driver changed real player's status to "in race"
Spectating from garage screen left player's status "in pits"

Other changes :

Latvian training lessons now included
Two new translations : Indonesian and Romanian
Maximum marshall circles increased from 96 to 120
Maximum autocross objects increased from 800 to 900
Pit exit direction arrow now works in open configurations
SHIFT + N : sound on / off now works in multiplayer screens

InSim :

Added new leave reasons (CPW / OOS / JOOS / HACK) for IS_CNL
Change to in-game usage of IS_REO - only valid after SMALL_VTA

Fixes :

Custom view was not set to new car type on replay restart
Duplicate lines in scripts could cause unexpected results
Virtual speedo sometimes overlapped numbers (e.g. XRG km/h)
Leaving garage screen could cause problems with a car script
User's controller type was not shown after taking over a car
SHIFT+R near end of SPR could make cars swap between players
Circuit length is no longer displayed for open configurations
Remote car with brakes on started to roll if reset on a slope
LFS could crash when displaying laps for fuel after short laps
Ready status in lobby is now checked when a player disconnects
Load WE1R on dedicated host - Checkpoint 1 path node not found
Short MP Replays were sometimes extended to a time of 10:55.36
It was possible to make an AI driver join with a disallowed car
Message typed while watching replay appeared as written by host
Message "Max guest cars : X" now shown in the selected language
Cars intersected if players joined autocross at the same time
An unusual state in which LFS displayed only a blank screen
Two instances of LFS no longer write to the same MPR / SPR

So even though it's about 5 years later, there's still no Jetta.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Something I just spotted, Asseto Corsa is set to come out next year, around March. Which probably really means more like August or September next year, but the devs are trying to launch in March. Still waiting on that tech demo too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
And still no new physics or content in LFS.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Meanwhile:

- East-Asian language support

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

We all know that's never going to happen.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just in these update notes, they still pretend to be still working on it.

I get that these guys have day jobs, but so does the physics guy over at SMS, and he's started late in comparison, and yet is pretty far into a real-time quasi-FEM-simulation of a tire. So... I agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What happened to LFS? I own the game, and remember playing the hell out of it because it was the "best" racing sim at the time...

• Locked thread