Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
5 weeks isn't too long, especially this time of year. If I was in your position I would offer her a live pinkie and see if that triggers her feeding response. Feeding live has risks and not a lot of people do it, but that is what I would do because I have pinkies to try with. Alternatively, offer an appropriately size F/T rat, sometimes the different smell makes them want to eat more.

At just 5 weeks, I'm guessing she is just nervous about her new home then got a bit of a chill and went into brumation mode, especially if she was exposed to temps that low. It might take a while for her to wake up from sleepy mode, but I bet she'll eat now that you have her temperatures correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post

Silver Nitrate posted:

5 weeks isn't too long, especially this time of year. If I was in your position I would offer her a live pinkie and see if that triggers her feeding response. Feeding live has risks and not a lot of people do it, but that is what I would do because I have pinkies to try with. Alternatively, offer an appropriately size F/T rat, sometimes the different smell makes them want to eat more.

At just 5 weeks, I'm guessing she is just nervous about her new home then got a bit of a chill and went into brumation mode, especially if she was exposed to temps that low. It might take a while for her to wake up from sleepy mode, but I bet she'll eat now that you have her temperatures correct.

Thanks - just as I was starting to get worried she came out and about of her own accord this evening and did laps of the vivarium a bit, drank some water, went to the toilet. She spent some time moving in and around the warm hide but didn't really settle in it, before heading back to the cold side, she was probably out and about for over an hour but constantly on the move. does thermo regulation just not take that long? I. E. Just moving over the heat for a while was enough? I thought she'd need a bit longer on the mat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Another thing you can try before going live is getting some mouse bedding from your local pet store and trying to get some of that scent on the frozen ones you're feeding. Also I always "play" a little with the mouse although I have no idea if my snake actually prefers a moving target or not. The couple times I've accidentally dropped one in there he seems to eat it just fine.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
When I had to deal with picky eaters, dirty gerbil bedding was basically the equivalent of Spanish Fly for snake appetites. I even got an already-picky ball python with clogged heat pits to eat with that once.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does anyone know a good place to research chameleons? I just found out the Petco store near me sells little baby veiled chameleons, and they're so adorable and I'm looking for reasons not to get one. :3:

I've had pet lizards before as a kid, but they were mostly green anoles (I'm sorry, I didn't know any better :(), so this wouldn't be a FIRST reptile, but it has been awhile since I've had one.

Actually, if anybody has any good chameleon stories or photos, I'd like to see those too.

I know they're high-stress and they don't like being handled by people, but chameleons are neat! :kimchi:

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Basically the thread's consensus will be that they are extremely difficult to keep and not a good idea. Captain Foxy and some others will explain in thorough detail. (I wanted one too until I read their thoughts on the matter, decided crested geckos are cool low maintenance lizards instead)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Bearded Dragons would also be a better option. Easier to care for and they actually respond to and seem to bond with their people, unlike many reptiles. They are also pretty drat adorable.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'll let others tell you why or why not to buy chameleons, but if you're going to get them, get them from a reputable breeder, not a pet store. That way, you know they were taken care of decently (chain stores are BAD with herps), they're often cheaper (aside from shipping - look for local reptile shows), and you're supporting a breeder directly.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I'd strongly suggest you don't get a chameleon. Crested geckos, gargoyle geckos, leopards, fat tails, pictus, sarasinorums, bearded dragons, blue tongue skinks, etc, would all make more enjoyable, more interactive pets.

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!

DrNutt posted:

Bearded Dragons would also be a better option. Easier to care for and they actually respond to and seem to bond with their people, unlike many reptiles. They are also pretty drat adorable.

Seconding beardies. They are so loving cute.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 18, 2015

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
I have a Cham. I have a very hardy, non-fussy-eater Cham. Don't get a Cham as your first, second, or even third herp.

Especially don't buy them from chain stores, I managed pet care at a petsmart relatively recently and their care standards were poo poo and flat wrong for the most part, and they've only declined since I quit(the corporation hired a bunch of laid-off Best Buy execs just as I left, if you've been inside a BB in the last 10 years it's the people responsible for that shitshow that got hired).

The chain stores also get all their animals from Reptile Industries and/or Glades Reptile Farm(or whatever they are doing business under while their current investigation proceeds), who are essentially inbreed-happy puppy mill equivalents and also run by known black-market wildlife traffickers/poachers.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Thriding not getting a chameleon from a PetSmartCo, even carefully-bred chameleons stress out and are hard to keep healthy, the farmed ones are virtually dead lizards walking. Find a local reptile store if you decide to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I think it's time to put this thread in the freezer.

new thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695281

• Locked thread