Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

big dig posted:

I find with the ball python, he wont have as strong a feeding response in his cage, but once in the dark blue death box he goes right into strike position.

Mine too. As I recall their natural behavior is to crawl into burrows and eat the inhabitants, so I guess it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

mushroom_spore posted:

Mine too. As I recall their natural behavior is to crawl into burrows and eat the inhabitants, so I guess it makes sense.

It corroborates my experiences too, I've only ever owned ball pythons.

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.
I thought I would weigh in on the feeding debate. I have two burms (as well as other pythons) but I would not want to move a 14-foot snake to a feeding spot and then attempt to put a 14-foot snake back while it is still in feeding mode. It would be super dangerous. Also, moving a snake that big around after a meal could mean regurgitation. So I have taught my snakes hook training. If I go into their cage for any reason besides feeding I tap them very lightly with my snake hook. They associate the touch with me getting them out or changing water or something. If I am going to feed them I put the rat or rabbit in the cage and don't touch them at all. This has been good for me as far as never having been bit (yet) when I go into my snake's cages. Mine are only 8.6 and 6.5 ish feet long but I wanted to establish hook training while they were young so when they do get to be huge beasts there isn't as much danger. Although, with snakes that big you have to ALWAYS be on the alert.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I hadn't thought about the burrow thing for my ball. Today was feeding day and I typically put him in a cardboard box so today I stunned his food and dropped it in the box then took one extra step and shut it. It took about a half second of darkness before I heard the strike inside the box, much much better feeding response. Thank you PI!

As for the stunning, he's still proving to be difficult and absolutely refuses frozen at this time, and stunning seems to be the best balance between absolutely fresh and a guaranteed feeding. I'm working on it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You know, I'm sitting here googling and maybe I'm just not googling good poo poo. Foxy mentioned some plants for vivs, but I was looking to expand on that as far as plant needs and whatnot (light, water, etc) and species. I took the duo of crested that Greycious was offering up in the old thread and the little guys are doing great. Since they're little I have plenty of time to grow and work with a tank for each of them just.. I can't seem to find a good place to really start off so I can figure out exactly what supplies I'm gonna need. Anybody got a preferred link?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
For feeding, my trio of balls have eaten in the bathtub for almost ten years now. They know what the tub means.

The Brazilian rainbow boas are fed in large plastic totes. The smaller balls and the Kenyans are fed in large plastic shoeboxes.

And for the babies, I went to Smart and Final and bought a poo poo ton of deep deli cups with lids. Put some holes in, and presto, 100 feeding containers.

Cultured Snail
Sep 19, 2006
tasteful

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You know, I'm sitting here googling and maybe I'm just not googling good poo poo. Foxy mentioned some plants for vivs, but I was looking to expand on that as far as plant needs and whatnot (light, water, etc) and species. I took the duo of crested that Greycious was offering up in the old thread and the little guys are doing great. Since they're little I have plenty of time to grow and work with a tank for each of them just.. I can't seem to find a good place to really start off so I can figure out exactly what supplies I'm gonna need. Anybody got a preferred link?
When I do planted tanks for cresteds I like an inch or so of hydroponic balls on the bottom for drainage, topped with nylon screen, topped with organic soil mixed with a little sphagnum peat (broken down by hand to remove the chunks they might ingest but not be able to pass) and earthworm castings. I'll add in some isopods and redworms to help break down the soil and poop, and some people introduce springtails as well.

Also here is a handful of E. agricolae hatchlings because they are adorablllle.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!

Cultured Snail posted:

Also here is a handful of E. agricolae hatchlings because they are adorablllle.

I feel like a total creeper commenting on this on Pangea and here, but day-ummmmm! :swoon: I can't get over the pure awesomeness!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Cultured Snail posted:

When I do planted tanks for cresteds I like an inch or so of hydroponic balls on the bottom for drainage, topped with nylon screen, topped with organic soil mixed with a little sphagnum peat (broken down by hand to remove the chunks they might ingest but not be able to pass) and earthworm castings. I'll add in some isopods and redworms to help break down the soil and poop, and some people introduce springtails as well.

Do you get your clay hydroponic balls online or locally? If online, do you have a good source? I need to get about 20-25gallons worth and am trying to find somewhere with a decent price for that quantity. I know they are out there but I haven't had time to shop around.

Cultured Snail
Sep 19, 2006
tasteful

nesbit37 posted:

Do you get your clay hydroponic balls online or locally? If online, do you have a good source? I need to get about 20-25gallons worth and am trying to find somewhere with a decent price for that quantity. I know they are out there but I haven't had time to shop around.
Ugh I know they're heavy as hell to have to pay shipping :( Unfortunately I get mine locally, we have a little shop that has a ton of "holy crap I can use this for lizard care" stuff. 25 gallons! What masterpiece are you building?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, I think I will have to try and source them locally as well :/

They are all going into this 315 gallons worth of gecko space:

building thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448362

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

nesbit37 posted:

Yeah, I think I will have to try and source them locally as well :/

They are all going into this 315 gallons worth of gecko space:

building thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448362

I am completely in awe of this

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think it looks outstanding, man.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydroton-GMHT10L-Hydroponic-Rocks-Liter/dp/B000FCPDFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327677943&sr=8-1 is what we're talking about, right?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yup, those are it. I need 8-10 bags of that size. I know I can get them cheaper than that and in larger bags, just need to look around.

edit: something like this would work fine as well, and is probably what I will go with if I don't find something better or less expensive.:

http://www.amazon.com/Viastone-Expanded-Clay-Rocks-liter/dp/B001IA8YI6/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1327678687&sr=1-3

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 27, 2012

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

I could have sworn they sold that stuff or something equivalent at home depot. Or do they, but it's just super expensive?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hypnotoad posted:

I could have sworn they sold that stuff or something equivalent at home depot. Or do they, but it's just super expensive?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202985175/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 It's about $30 a bag in my neck of the woods but home depot tends to vary their prices all over the place.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I'm heavily considering getting a snake, but despite the reasearch I've done so far I really feel like I have no idea about anything but the most basic of basics, so I have two questions really:

What are some good, easy to understand sites that have a lot of information about getting/looking after snakes, along with the ones in the OP? And do diamond pythons make good beginner snakes (although I don't how many Australians there are here so this might be harder to answer)?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Stanfield posted:

I'm heavily considering getting a snake, but despite the reasearch I've done so far I really feel like I have no idea about anything but the most basic of basics, so I have two questions really:

What are some good, easy to understand sites that have a lot of information about getting/looking after snakes, along with the ones in the OP? And do diamond pythons make good beginner snakes (although I don't how many Australians there are here so this might be harder to answer)?

Are you comfortable with dealing with a 2.5 meter long snake? Some get bigger than that, too. You're going to need a big cage, too, at adult size.

http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/diamonds.pdf Some of this is moronic (feeding with your fingers, letting your snake go wander about in the grass to take a poo poo, etc) but it should give you a bit here and there of what you're getting into.

I think http://www.anapsid.org/ is still pretty much the go to for your primer stuff on a lot of critters.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Are you comfortable with dealing with a 2.5 meter long snake? Some get bigger than that, too. You're going to need a big cage, too, at adult size.

And once snakes are past a certain length/weight it is no longer safe to open the cage without at least a second person present. Snakes are very strong for their size and large ones can kill you. They can pretty much *accidentally* kill you, even. Snakes aren't terribly bright. :downs:

I still remember the last news story that made the rounds. Some woman had a large constrictor of some sort that was ill, and decided she was going to take this sick animal out of its cage and medicate it without anyone else home. The snake, being sick and defensive, promptly killed her. It's not something you can really ever be careless with and think "oh, my pet would never."

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 28, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Can they kill humans at that length? I thought it was 10 feet and up that was more apt to be capable of that.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Stanfield posted:

This is quite topical, since I'm on the way home from surrendering a carpet python to a rescue. Carpets are another aussie species and in the same genus as the diamond, if i recall correctly (and if taxonomy hasn't been rearranged)

I'm not familiar with diamonds personally, but every other species in that genus has a reputation for being nervous and snappy if not worked with extensively. Consider that very carefully in combination with the size they attain. That's exactly why I had to give mine up; it was poorly socialized for a variety of reasons and had grown enough that the readiness to bite was a legitimate risk.

If you want an aussie python, I'd suggest a woma as they tend towards a much more mellow temperament, although those attain a pretty good size too.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Can they kill humans at that length? I thought it was 10 feet and up that was more apt to be capable of that.

I think it'd really depend on how you react. If the constrictee panicked and hyperventilated then it'd be really easy for it to go very badly.

Even if chances of death are slim, a 2.5 meter python could deliver a really nasty bite and if it constricted around an arm
or wrist it would definitely be a 2-3 person job to deal with.

Edit: clarity, added stuff

the yeti fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 28, 2012

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll start small than a diamond, maybe a spotted python?

What I would really like is a site that has a list or something that says "Here's the things you'll need to know/do before you even think about going out and buying a snake." I know about getting a lisence and that I'll need to set up an enclosure(although i have no idea how, as in what do I put in it, where is a good place to put it, ect.) but past that I'm lost.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well what snake you plan on getting is really going to determine what kind of enclosure you need. Some snakes are going to be misted once a day, others are going to need humidity kept super crazy high. Generally you need substrate, a heating pad or tape or something along those lines, a screen top and clamps for it, the enclosure, hydrometer (humidity percentage show thingy), thermometer, probe thermometer, a hide on either side, a water bowl and.. then it kinda goes for what kind of snake you have. Arboreal (climbing snakes) are going to want branches and height. Ground dwelling snakes are probably going to want a substrate to burrow in a bit.

I'd say decide on your snake species and then go from there as far as looking at care sheets and stuff. Because some of that stuff I listed up there changes if you're not using an aquarium and you're using instead say, a 100qt plastic box.

I didn't know you guys had to have licenses down there though. This is what the site I linked earlier says about them: http://www.dolittlefarm.com.au/docs/spotted.pdf

The thing about reptiles is, you can't really go "what do I need for a snake" like you would a dog or a cat. You kinda gotta get a little more specific since there's a difference between caring for different species to the extent that good advice for one species may not be good advice for the other.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Stanfield posted:

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'll start small than a diamond, maybe a spotted python?

What I would really like is a site that has a list or something that says "Here's the things you'll need to know/do before you even think about going out and buying a snake." I know about getting a lisence and that I'll need to set up an enclosure(although i have no idea how, as in what do I put in it, where is a good place to put it, ect.) but past that I'm lost.
Another piece of advice is to get a vet set up before you do go and get a snake. I know, this sounds self-explanatory, but I've known a depressingly large number of people who bought pythons or boas and just sort of assumed their regular vet treated herps too. Depending on the services near you, it might even influence what type of snake you get.

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics

the yeti posted:

This is quite topical, since I'm on the way home from surrendering a carpet python to a rescue. Carpets are another aussie species and in the same genus as the diamond, if i recall correctly (and if taxonomy hasn't been rearranged)

I'm not familiar with diamonds personally, but every other species in that genus has a reputation for being nervous and snappy if not worked with extensively. Consider that very carefully in combination with the size they attain. That's exactly why I had to give mine up; it was poorly socialized for a variety of reasons and had grown enough that the readiness to bite was a legitimate risk.

If you want an aussie python, I'd suggest a woma as they tend towards a much more mellow temperament, although those attain a pretty good size too.

I think it'd really depend on how you react. If the constrictee panicked and hyperventilated then it'd be really easy for it to go very badly.

Even if chances of death are slim, a 2.5 meter python could deliver a really nasty bite and if it constricted around an arm
or wrist it would definitely be a 2-3 person job to deal with.

Edit: clarity, added stuff
just as an alternate perspective, i've had a captive bred coastal carpet python for a while now and he's been a total doll. they do have a strong feeding response -- the one time he nipped me was because i tried to pick him up hookless after he finished eating -- but otherwise i handle him maybe twice a week and he's been calm and inquisitive the entirety of his tenure here. he's become the de facto reptile ambassador of my social circle and has even tolerated being gawked and gently handled by tipsy crowds of six or more without complaint.

carpets aren't terribly massive, which i believe is a trait of the entire genus, so while they're longer than something like a ball they won't ever have the massiveness of a burm or retic or the other big snakes. carewise they're super low maintenance: a little misting if you live in a dry locale, food, water, and clean substrate, and you never have to worry about them going off a feeding schedule like a ball does.

for reference, this is big for a female coastal carpet, and in captivity females are larger and coastals are the biggest of the carpet subspecies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qOyt9eOBpg

if you wouldn't be comfortable handling a snake of that size, you might want to at least consider a smaller member of the genus - an irian jaya male, maybe, who would peak about half that size. but i wouldn't write morelia off altogether!

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Thanks again guys. I think i'll start with a spotted, and maybe get a diamond down the track. But hey, it'll be a few months minimum before I would be getting anything, so plenty of time to research some more.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Since you live down under, why bother buying one? Just check your nearest toilet.

Seriously though, I googled carpets to learn more about them, and couldn't believe how beautiful they are. I don't blame you for wanting one.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The third one there (and possibly the first one as well) is a diamond x jungle carpet hybrid :eng101:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 29, 2012

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone here had a successful experience with leachies and live plants? This has always been an issue, and the only plants that keep coming back some larger bromolids like aechmea fasciata and pothos (because nothing can kill pothos! :black101: )

I did find some more useful links in my searching this time, like this:
http://neherpetoculture.com/geckoplants.htm

and this:
http://www.geckotime.com/a-primer-for-planted-vivariums/

and I emailed the guy at NERD, as listed at the bottom of that first link, for recommendations on plants for larger geckos. I would still love to hear if you or someone you know has a leachie viv with live plants and the leachie didn't go all :tbear: to the place after a few weeks.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a lizard. I have a hat. What else do you want?
:sassargh:SASS2013:sassargh:
My beardie is shedding right now and good god is he miserable. He's been getting lighter for the last week or more and it just started breaking today. I gave him a bath earlier to help, but he just poops in the water within minutes, so he doesn't soak long.

I keep hearing him moving and look over to see him squirming all over his log scratching his belly. Then I laugh and he puffs out his beard at me. Poor guy, I hope it's over soon.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
For an Aussie that's wanting to get into snakes, a Children's python, spotted python, or an Irian Jaya carpet python would all be very good choices.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

nesbit37 posted:

Does anyone here had a successful experience with leachies and live plants? This has always been an issue, and the only plants that keep coming back some larger bromolids like aechmea fasciata and pothos (because nothing can kill pothos! :black101: )

I did find some more useful links in my searching this time, like this:
http://neherpetoculture.com/geckoplants.htm

and this:
http://www.geckotime.com/a-primer-for-planted-vivariums/

and I emailed the guy at NERD, as listed at the bottom of that first link, for recommendations on plants for larger geckos. I would still love to hear if you or someone you know has a leachie viv with live plants and the leachie didn't go all :tbear: to the place after a few weeks.

I'd also be curious to know the answer to this, as I'm getting a leachie hopefully at the next show I'd attend. I would like to get into live vivs eventually, but everything I've heard about leachies and live plants has sounded pretty disastrous so far!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Pardalis posted:

Have you been to House of Reptiles in Tigard? They are one of the few shops that sells animals and does a great job of it. As a bonus, it is better than going to the zoo. They always have several species of turtles and torts available and they carry mostly all captive bred animals. They are priced as a retail store would be expected but you get what you pay for and most of their animals come from carefully sourced local hobbyists.

It was a bust. Their store was very nice, but they only had three red-foot tortoises with a waiting list with FOUR people on it. I guess I am going to just be stuck waiting for another large expo and hoping I get lucky.

Hype
Apr 12, 2011

I'd been following the last thread for months but never posted, so I figured what better way to break the ice than with photos of my new lesser siren juvie. This little guy was given to me by OneTwentySix, who has been a wealth of information on the subject of salamanders. I've had him for a little over two weeks now and have been slowly introducing a variety of different foods- so far blood worms seem to be a favorite.

Just look at those little feet! :3:

And just for fun, here's a few of my other herps.

My two boa girls. The normal has one of the best temperaments of any snake I've owned. Even my friends who are scared of snakes love her. The albino is pretty calm most of the time, but she can sometimes be a little moody and unpredictable.

My angry little Children's python. When she's out of her cage she's fine, but god forbid you reach into her tank to change her water or clean up anything. She'll throw a fit- hissing, rattling her tail, striking. It's a drat good thing she's so little.

And lastly, my hognose and crestie.

Quick question for you guys with hogs- how often do you feed your snakes? With my boas and python I typically feed once every 7-10 days, but my hog always seems to be hungry. Right now I'm feeding her one f/t pinkie every 5 days. Should I be feeding more often? I've heard hogs have higher metabolism than most colubrids.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mine are rodent disposals even at that size. I feed mine once every 7 days and generally offer a second pinkie if they eat the first one

OwlbearHug
Sep 14, 2011

I see you're not paying attention to me...
I've been thinking a lot about getting another snake: My first snake was an albino cornsnake that my Dad bought me when I was four, I named him Rex because as a little girl I was in love with dinosaurs. I loved him and as i grew older i gained more and more responsibility until i took care of him 100%. When we went away to college for my final year he passed away (he was 18) and I didn't have the heart to get another reptile...

Rex was very easy to handle and I only was bit twice in his lifetime so I would like another chill buddy. I've really been researching western Hognoses but I don't have a particular favourite for colouring/morphs, as they all seem beautiful to me.

I guess the biggest question I have is how to locate a good breeder and I am in northern Alberta right now so I am worried about them being shipped up from too far away. they are usually very careful right? Do they drive or Fly?

There seems to be so many places online with so many animals i just cant figure out who is a responsible handler.

A price range would be interesting as well because i've seen anything from $680-900 American.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

OwlbearHug posted:

I've been thinking a lot about getting another snake: My first snake was an albino cornsnake that my Dad bought me when I was four, I named him Rex because as a little girl I was in love with dinosaurs. I loved him and as i grew older i gained more and more responsibility until i took care of him 100%. When we went away to college for my final year he passed away (he was 18) and I didn't have the heart to get another reptile...

Rex was very easy to handle and I only was bit twice in his lifetime so I would like another chill buddy. I've really been researching western Hognoses but I don't have a particular favourite for colouring/morphs, as they all seem beautiful to me.

I guess the biggest question I have is how to locate a good breeder and I am in northern Alberta right now so I am worried about them being shipped up from too far away. they are usually very careful right? Do they drive or Fly?

There seems to be so many places online with so many animals i just cant figure out who is a responsible handler.

A price range would be interesting as well because i've seen anything from $680-900 American.

Your story about Rex is incredibly sweet. :unsmith:

I got my western hognose at a local reptile show, he's a plain normal morph, and cost $50.00.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I aim to be picking up a hog as well when I can afford it and I've seen about $100 locally, but there's poo poo all for selection up here. OwlBear, there's a reptile show in Seattle in...April I believe and for $900 for a hog you can drat well afford a trip down to get one for cheap and then you get an adventure out of it! Or even 1 day overnight one, I'm sure someone would be able to get some info to you for one for a fraction of that price.

OwlbearHug
Sep 14, 2011

I see you're not paying attention to me...
Oh definitely yes I am willing to buy a 'Plain old Hog for sure, The price range was just what i was finding online with all sorts of exotic morphs and colours (creamsicle albino anaconda was my fav, a real mouthful). But I'm not really a collector, I just like their little faces.

A road trip would be worth it for me if i could save that much money. I called around to the stores near here and its all boa's and rat snakes, not that i mind them!

I have never been to a reptile show before, I'm sure it would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:3: Just be prepared to walk out with way more than you intended to purchase. For futher reading, read the old thread and just look for the words 'reptile show' and see how often people came back empty handed.

• Locked thread