Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

This week I went to the Actors Connection meet 5 VO Agents thing they put on every few months or so. I haven't been to one in since before I worked at Riot. It went pretty well and I got good feedback. However, it's kind of a hosed up cash grab in a lot of ways. You get around 30 mins to ask questions of the agents and try to stand out. Then you get to go into a VO booth and read one piece of copy for them. They give you notes and then you get to re-do the copy with the notes. The big takeaway is that they all exclusively work with union talent. If you're willing to join the union then you can. They apparently also work with FiCore people which I didn't know was a thing until this event. At the end of the event you get these feedback sheets and they email you the track you recorded and the contact emails of the agents for you to follow up with.

Death to the gatekeepers.

Back to recording $100 regional bank ads!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Considering moving to Adobe Audition and from Audacity. Is it worth the $240 a year?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I'd.investigate Reaper. Cheaper and has a trial. When the trial ends you can still use it but it'll keep reminding you to register

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

I'd.investigate Reaper. Cheaper and has a trial. When the trial ends you can still use it but it'll keep reminding you to register

Cool I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back! Anything I should know going in?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Cool I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back! Anything I should know going in?

It'll have a curve going into it from Audacity, but so would audition. So you might want to look into some basics tutorials just to get the hang of the new workflow and different editing processes.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

NYC and LA library membership gets you access to Lynda.com tutorials for free. You can learn any Adobe, Apple or other major software that way. I don't know about Reaper. Audacity is decent for free but it's become a little clunky for me in the last couple of versions.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Didn't get a chance to try Reaper until today but I have to say Reaper is 1000x better than Audacity! Holy cow! It is night and day! My records actually sound better, even before editing, when I use Reaper. Why is that?

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Okay kiddies, a few things.

1) I'm teaching my free voiceover class in LA this Monday, 9/23. Info/registration Feel free to share with anyone you know who may be interested. While I'm transparent in that I teach it primarily to promote my upcoming paid eight-week Voiceover Sampler Class, the info I share in the free session itself is helpful for anyone interested in VO. Actually, one attendee last time got not ONE, but TWO offers for her FIRST VO gigs EVER using just one strategy I shared in that free session. It's not easy, but it can be simple, and I aim to demystify the industry as much as possible. And again, it's free--the only thing I ask is that you genuinely be ready to take your next steps in your VO pursuits, whatever that may entail for you.

I'll leave the "about me" to IMDb/Google/my post history/etc., but I will share that so far this year I've signed with a new manager, new on-camera commercial agency, new theatrical agency, booked my first mocap project WHICH WAS SO RAD aaaaaaaaaaand...

2) This is a milestone and long-time goal toward which anyone who's been in this thread for some time has an idea of how long I've been working: I just signed for exclusive voiceover agency representation for the first time, and not only that, but with THE agent I've been wanting to work with since I met him a few years ago, not long after I moved out here, who now happens to be heading up the VO department at my new, bicoastal, super well-respected voiceover agency, and I'm pretty much over the moon. I'm also a little nervous--this is the big leagues now--but ultimately excited to rise to the occasion. (Needless to say, though, it's given me some new insights/info I'll be sharing at this class on Monday as well.)

3) Worth taking the opportunity to mention that I have some free resources on my teaching site, including a free beginner's guide I typed up a while back, a resources list, and my email list, which is usually the first (and sometimes only) place I send out stuff about my classes, any casting opportunities I have, etc.

4) I also have not-free resources on my teaching website, including private sessions, and I just offered my email list half off/BOGO private VO instruction for the rest of the month (September 2019), which I'm happy to extend to you folks too. The catch is that my availability's super limited thanks to the upcoming Slew O' Jewish Holidays at the end of the month, so if you're interested in that, I'd get in touch sooner rather than later (ltmvoiceoverclasses at gmail).

5) That's all. Just taking a moment to bask in the pride, relief, and...happiness?!? at having reached a goal THIRTEEN (!!!) years in the making (I took my first VO class in 2006) before going back to the grind. Feels good man

Edit: Formatting

blinkeve1826 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 20, 2019

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Hooooly poo poo, that is so fantastic! I normally lurk this thread rather than participate since I do a very different type of VO work than most mentioned here (sports play-by-play and replay voiceovers), but I remember your advice several years ago about how caffeinated drinks actually make your mouth sounds Worse, Thank You and you’ve been such a thread mainstay for years.

I am beyond thrilled for you. :) Here’s to many many more jobs. And absolutely bask in that happiness. Roll around it in it like a pig in poo poo, my dude. You have EARNED IT.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Hooooly poo poo, that is so fantastic! I normally lurk this thread rather than participate since I do a very different type of VO work than most mentioned here (sports play-by-play and replay voiceovers), but I remember your advice several years ago about how caffeinated drinks actually make your mouth sounds Worse, Thank You and you’ve been such a thread mainstay for years.

I am beyond thrilled for you. :) Here’s to many many more jobs. And absolutely bask in that happiness. Roll around it in it like a pig in poo poo, my dude. You have EARNED IT.

Dude of the lady variety here, but that aside--wow, thank you for these very kind words! I'm really glad to know that what I've shared here is actually, concretely helping people. (And thanks for reminding me to grab my waterbottle and hydrate...and to cut back on my caffeine intake!)

I am super curious to hear about how you got into that kind of VO work--I've never met anyone else who's done that, let alone specialized in it! How'd that come about?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Just chiming in to say blinkeve1826's VO classes are good as hell

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Apparently, Lisa Ortiz heard my demo reel, and she thought it was great! :slick:

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
I'm making a reinvestment into my voice acting career by building a booth for myself. Talking to a discord server, I was able to pull together a list of high-end equipment. Here is what I plan to purchase and what I plan to do. I could always use some advice when it comes to stuff like this.

Microphones: Either the AT4040 Cardioid Condenser Mic the Warm Audio WA-47Jr Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone or RODE NT1.

For an adapter, I was suggested the Sweetwater Audient iD4.

Finally, I plan to build a booth using pvc pipe and sound-damening blankets.

I'm not sure if anyone has had experience with any equipment, but I'm open to any thoughts. In addition, how does the "pvc/sound blanket" set up sound to everyone as well?

Finally, I think it would be an excellent idea to retrain myself with some workshops or classes, as well as get a new demo put together. blinkeve1826, don't be surprised if I sign up for one of your classes.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

ItWasMoida posted:

I'm making a reinvestment into my voice acting career by building a booth for myself. Talking to a discord server, I was able to pull together a list of high-end equipment. Here is what I plan to purchase and what I plan to do. I could always use some advice when it comes to stuff like this.

Microphones: Either the AT4040 Cardioid Condenser Mic the Warm Audio WA-47Jr Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone or RODE NT1.

For an adapter, I was suggested the Sweetwater Audient iD4.

Finally, I plan to build a booth using pvc pipe and sound-damening blankets.

I'm not sure if anyone has had experience with any equipment, but I'm open to any thoughts. In addition, how does the "pvc/sound blanket" set up sound to everyone as well?

Finally, I think it would be an excellent idea to retrain myself with some workshops or classes, as well as get a new demo put together. blinkeve1826, don't be surprised if I sign up for one of your classes.

I built a PVC blanket booth and it works pretty well for me. I also hung foam on the inside in front of the blankets as well as built a roof out of foam and cardboard.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I built a PVC blanket booth and it works pretty well for me. I also hung foam on the inside in front of the blankets as well as built a roof out of foam and cardboard.

That's good to hear. Building a full-on booth sounds expensive and cumbersome, so this sounds like a solid workaround. Thank you.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Edward Mass posted:

Apparently, Lisa Ortiz heard my demo reel, and she thought it was great! :slick:

If it's the one on your website, you make a number of common amateur faux pas (using material from way too recent and popular media in your demo that anyone familiar with it would know you didn't actually record, falling into similar "cadences" between different clips, etc.) but there's also plenty of potential that it sounds like hasn't been fully explored yet, both in your range of vocal skills and acting abilities. On a very specific aside, your natural speaking voice reminds me of Patton Oswalt to the degree the you could probably voice match for him.

Also Lisa is one of my favorite people ever and I'm teaching an animation/video game VO workshop with her (and another friend who's a dialogue coordinator at a major AAA game studio) Monday night while she's here visiting LA briefly :3: If any of you are in LA come, it's gonna be pretty darn great.

Binowru posted:

Just chiming in to say blinkeve1826's VO classes are good as hell

NO U
(no seriously you too are also good as hell :3:) And we also have a very serious and important collaboration to finish, hmmmmm????

ItWasMoida posted:

Stuff and things

I use a Rode NT2A myself (for all intents and purposes, nearly the same as the Rode NT1) and am happy with it, but you really have to try 'em out for yourself. Luckily, if you are who I think you are from my recent mailing list sign-ups, you live (or at least frequently visit) close enough to B&H Photo and Video in midtown Manhattan to take advantage of their Mic Room--a room with a wall of what's gotta be fifty or so mics that you can try out to see how YOU sound on them and what suits YOUR voice best. They'll also usually have lower prices than most other retailers, and will price match as well. I haven't found anything like B&H's mic room out here in LA though, which is why I include a "microphone test run" in my SHAMELESS PLUG TIME eight-week Voiceover Sampler Class in LA, last one of the year starting October 28th, OKAY I'M DONE where we use a different mic nearly every week. (Although if anyone DOES know of something similar in LA, please let me know!)

Anyway, I'd love to touch base with you at some point. Totally reach out for training (I have Thoughts[TM] on what you've posted even thus far), especially because I happen to have some really good stuff coming up THIS month and as things ramp up I don't know how much/what/when I will have time to teach going forward.

Actually--I don't teach anything online (besides private sessions LAST LINK I'M SERIOUS) because it's just not worthwhile for me for many reasons, but how many of you all would be interested in a one-night online goon-exclusive workshop? I could set something up for far enough in the future that those who would need to budget could do so, and schedule-wise I could probably manage something in late December, when everything gets quiet over the holidays. Totally happy to create something according to what you all most want to work on. Who would be interested? What in particular would you want to work on? Email me your thoughts/ideas/requests (ltmvoiceoverclasses at gmail) if you don't want to post them here.

Why haven't we thought to do this before? This would be really fun!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

blinkeve1826 posted:

Who would be interested? What in particular would you want to work on?

i'm interested and i'd love to know how to target myself towards educational media.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blinkeve1826 posted:

... but how many of you all would be interested in a one-night online goon-exclusive workshop?

Me! I lurk the poo poo out of this thread. I write and pitch cartoon ideas and so far I tend to voice all of my own stuff, and I'm sure I'm making mistakes all over the place.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I am also up.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

blinkeve1826 posted:

Why haven't we thought to do this before? This would be really fun!

I'm afraid I'm not who you think I am as I don't live near the Manhattan area. However, thank you for the equipment suggestion. I'd also be very interested in a goon-exclusive workshop.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
If it's something you do online re: goon workshop, I'd be super into it. I don't live in the US but would still love to learn.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

What's a good place to buy quality used or refurbished microphones? Is it a good idea to buy used/refurbished? I'm looking to move up from my e100s.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

So the first audiobook I did for Manning is up on Audible and on the Manning site. You can experience the listen and following along sample chapter at this link.

https://livebook.manning.com/book/learn-windows-powershell-in-a-month-of-lunches-third-edition/chapter-1/

This is the only book where I did the majority of the book. On some of the other books, I read the appendix or the last few chapters. It was a good experience. I hope they get a decent amount of miles out if it.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

What's a good place to buy quality used or refurbished microphones? Is it a good idea to buy used/refurbished? I'm looking to move up from my e100s.

Looks like Sweetwater has a decent selection.
https://www.sweetwater.com/used/categories/microphones-wireless?query=&page=1&sort=published_desc

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100017346%204016

B & H seems like a really mixed bag of AV solutions mics... some ok mics above $300

King Lou fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 17, 2019

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

King Lou posted:

So the first audiobook I did for Manning is up on Audible and on the Manning site. You can experience the listen and following along sample chapter at this link.

https://livebook.manning.com/book/learn-windows-powershell-in-a-month-of-lunches-third-edition/chapter-1/

This is the only book where I did the majority of the book. On some of the other books, I read the appendix or the last few chapters. It was a good experience. I hope they get a decent amount of miles out if it.

This is really good, Lou. Congratulations! I hope this leads to more narration opportunities because you've got a nice easy yet energetic narration delivery.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Large update for Door Kickers: Action Squad was just released, along with their premiere console launch in the next few days. I voiced their new playable character wearing shorts, "Off Duty Guy."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/686200

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tDfQ4SQrGI

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

Large update for Door Kickers: Action Squad was just released, along with their premiere console launch in the next few days. I voiced their new playable character wearing shorts, "Off Duty Guy."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/686200

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tDfQ4SQrGI

That's awesome! Great work!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

ItWasMoida posted:

This is really good, Lou. Congratulations! I hope this leads to more narration opportunities because you've got a nice easy yet energetic narration delivery.

Thanks. It was a decent experience. I am doing some seasonal work which may put a crimp in my VO work but I hope I can keep doing it. I signed up with Ahab which is some sort of audiobook casting place but I haven't heard anything from that.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Anyone got any experience with recording studios in or around Atlanta, GA? I'm looking to get a professional demo put together and it's the closet major hub.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 2, 2019

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Anyone got any experience with recording studios in or around Atlanta, GA? I'm looking to get a professional demo put together and it's the closet major hub.
If you find one, I wouldn't pay a lot. You should be able to wing it without renting a private studio for a minute of audio.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

If you find one, I wouldn't pay a lot. You should be able to wing it without renting a private studio for a minute of audio.

Isn't rule #1 of demos "don't record your own demo"?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Isn't rule #1 of demos "don't record your own demo"?
I would argue that it's the only way to perfect it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Any new projects from anyone? Have a large game to finish from a previous client but the market seems pretty dried up at the moment.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Nothing now, probably nothing ever :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
This is a post-voice society, the writing was on the wall with email and now texting :ohdear:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm still waiting for my agent to call. It's like I'm a real actor!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I'm still waiting for my agent to call. It's like I'm a real actor!
y y you have an agent?!!?!

*gasp*

edit: gently caress i just remembered i was actually supposed to contact one of the main agencies in town like 3wks ago

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 31, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The Joe Man posted:

y y you have an agent?!!?!

*gasp*

edit: gently caress i just remembered i was actually supposed to contact one of the main agencies in town like 3wks ago

Yeah. I don't talk about him much because I've had auditions, but no actual gigs. Literally the only paying VO work I've done I got from doing Space D.I.R.T., which got posted in this very thread!

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah. I don't talk about him much because I've had auditions, but no actual gigs. Literally the only paying VO work I've done I got from doing Space D.I.R.T., which got posted in this very thread!

And that was enough for a couple of beers so the money would have well and truly be gone by now :D

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Haha same! Although I'm working with a team to do a motion-comic thing for YouTube. It's been fun! Got one episode fully compete and the second episode recorded. Trying to organize a read through of episode 3's script. Going to release episode 1 after we finish episode 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I'm working on a VR game and they released a trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgN7h1nRJn4
So far it's mainly reading lore for players to find. There is more dialog coming but I haven't gotten a timeline, yet.

I was in talks for another game with tons of dialog but it dried up. Womp womp. I took a break from auditioning to really focus on getting a "normal job" but all efforts have failed.