Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Megazver posted:

I am actually Russian and I thought FINALLY, A CHANCE TO SHI-

Oh.

It says don't use a fake Russian accent. It doesn't say anything about real Russian accents :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Righto, off they go.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Same. I live in Austin as well, although I doubt that means anything.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
I'll drop an audition in for The Seagull sometime this week. I saw a stage production of it a couple years back and really liked it.

Speaking of Austin, wife and I are going to be relocating to Austin in August or September.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Haven't auditioned for anything in a while, but what the hell. Sent.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I'll drop an audition in for The Seagull sometime this week. I saw a stage production of it a couple years back and really liked it.

Speaking of Austin, wife and I are going to be relocating to Austin in August or September.

Neat! There's a nice little VO community out here, and it doesn't have the intense levels of gnarly backstabbery that goes on in DFW. Large gamedev community too. It's great. I mean, when there isn't a plague and all.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 20, 2021

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Neat! There's a nice little VO community out here, and it doesn't have the intense levels of gnarly backstabbery that goes on in DFW. Large gamedev community too. It's great. I mean, when there isn't a plague and all.

That's great to hear! I'm working towards getting a demo produced so I can find representation when we arrive and to send out to potential clients. I'd love to do work for indie gamedevs. Is there a particular way the gamedevs network in Austin?

Also, I'm recording the audition for The Seagull right now. I'll send it along tonight before the deadline.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I'm finding auditions harder to find. Anyone have any luck with decent sites they've found for casting calls?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The Joe Man posted:

I'm finding auditions harder to find. Anyone have any luck with decent sites they've found for casting calls?

It's not just you - I have had ONE audition this year that showed promise, and then the producers decided they wanted someone in Los Angeles. I can sell Volkswagens without leaving my house, you fucks :argh:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

None. Of the 500 I saw listed, 490 were for minecraft.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Huh, I thought it was just me. I had some luck with voice123, but a) it's voice123, b) the majority of them were for non-English language projects. Voice Acting Club's discord also has a steady drip of promising projects, especially for indie games, but you'll still have to scroll through webcomic dubs and other more amateurish ventures, if it's not your thing, even in paid projects.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I've always been toying with the idea of doing voice work but I suppose I'll just stick to mods etc for the time being since I'm inexperienced. But now that I think about it, all mods probably use those artificial voices now. :suicide:

Boar It fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 24, 2021

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Boar It posted:

But now that I think about it, all mods probably use those artificial voices now. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXkRj-UcWVM

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

See, I can't compete with that. Saying banana with such gravitas is something I can only dream of.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

So I made an ASMR soundtrack on Soundcloud as a test, but it ain't getting any views or (More importantly) feedback. Any ideas if there's a place to get a critique on that?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
One of my local VO talent agencies (I'm not represented by them) has fallen off the face of the Earth. Should I be worried that I might need to move to Dallas or Houston?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

So I made an ASMR soundtrack on Soundcloud as a test, but it ain't getting any views or (More importantly) feedback. Any ideas if there's a place to get a critique on that?
I guess here? Not sure how I'd even critique that though since as far as I'm aware, everything to do with ASMR is completely opposite of good recording habits for professional VO.

Edward Mass posted:

One of my local VO talent agencies (I'm not represented by them) has fallen off the face of the Earth. Should I be worried that I might need to move to Dallas or Houston?
If you're not represented by them, who cares. They either were too lovely to lock in clients and shuttered or got bought by some other agency. Or they were a grift to begin with.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

I mean, just upload it to Youtube.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

How good is a Neumann U87 AI really? Is it really as amazing as people say? Has anyone here used one before? I would like to rent one and give it a try but the only Neumann all the shops around me rent out is the TLM 103. I'm currently using a CAD E100S.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Casting another game, one that's higher profile than others I've cast. Some VA who had been pestering the dev in DMs came to me claiming she already had a role on the project. I discussed with the developer and he said he did not offer her a role, he told her he thought she would be a good fit. (I didn't like this but this was before I came aboard the project and since then all communication about casting goes through me.) I told her what he told me -- that the DMs in question were not an offer of a role, and that he wishes to continue with the casting call, and she's upset with me for not taking her side (like I'm supposed to advocate for her, someone I don't know, over my client???) and being very insulting. This person is a professional casting developer herself. She's given me enough material to destroy her career if I felt like it. This game just pays $3/line. Wild. Acting really gives some people brainworms.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's ego - I should know.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Hey guys, I'm thinking about _trying_ to get into this stuff a little bit. The OP is setting off a couple of red flags for me though...

You've been told you have a great voice
check

You want to make at least a little money
check

I guess I'm determined to go ahead at least somewhat as I've got a new mic coming, but any advice would be much appreciated. Once that comes I'll go about reducing the noise floor in my recording space as much as possible and ... going from there I guess? I'm in the UK if that helps at all. =D

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Lor posted:

Hey guys, I'm thinking about _trying_ to get into this stuff a little bit. The OP is setting off a couple of red flags for me though...

You've been told you have a great voice
check

You want to make at least a little money
check

I guess I'm determined to go ahead at least somewhat as I've got a new mic coming, but any advice would be much appreciated. Once that comes I'll go about reducing the noise floor in my recording space as much as possible and ... going from there I guess? I'm in the UK if that helps at all. =D

Check on those two for myself as well. :v:

I've been sort of looking around for potential work where I live but it is basically, either live in the capital or forget about it. And since I don't I guess my only options are to do some auditions online via casting call club and stuff. I would assume the same holds true for the UK. I take it they prefer to work with the actor right in front of them in a studio as opposed to remotely. Not much you can do about it unless you are really well known.
I've got my half-credit as I like to call it because I got featured in a game via a contest but that is about it. I guess as a fellow clueless rookie you should take a look at the Voice Acting Club's discord https://www.voiceactingclub.com/#Discord. It is very active and lots of people posting jobs. Been busy with other stuff lately myself but I should keep an eye there again myself.

Would have been great if voice acting had "extras" similar to traditional acting where you could just stand around in the background. But alas that doesn't seem to be the case. In my mind a VA extra would just say a word or sentence at most but seems like it isn't a thing judging from the casting calls I've seen. If there was it could have been a good way of getting your feet wet, so to speak. But maybe some of the vets here might have some more insight regarding that.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Boar It posted:

Check on those two for myself as well. :v:

I've been sort of looking around for potential work where I live but it is basically, either live in the capital or forget about it. And since I don't I guess my only options are to do some auditions online via casting call club and stuff. I would assume the same holds true for the UK. I take it they prefer to work with the actor right in front of them in a studio as opposed to remotely. Not much you can do about it unless you are really well known.
I've got my half-credit as I like to call it because I got featured in a game via a contest but that is about it. I guess as a fellow clueless rookie you should take a look at the Voice Acting Club's discord https://www.voiceactingclub.com/#Discord. It is very active and lots of people posting jobs. Been busy with other stuff lately myself but I should keep an eye there again myself.

Would have been great if voice acting had "extras" similar to traditional acting where you could just stand around in the background. But alas that doesn't seem to be the case. In my mind a VA extra would just say a word or sentence at most but seems like it isn't a thing judging from the casting calls I've seen. If there was it could have been a good way of getting your feet wet, so to speak. But maybe some of the vets here might have some more insight regarding that.

Thanks for the response buddy - I'll check out that discord too! I'm just right at the beginning so there's a long way to go but it's good to hear from fellow rookies for sure. =D

I've also come to realise my post above is a bit stupid, I should be asking specific questions rather than "any advice?" - so apologies for that. I'll regroup, research, and focus down a little bit. Cheers guys!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Somehow, I’ve only now come to the realization that agents want to make money, too. I guess I need a commercial demo!

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals
After threatening it for a while, finally threw out some auditions for audiobook narration on ACX. Been accepted for one and couldn't be happier! While the client says they're happy with the quality of the recording I submitted for the audition, I'm very aware that this will be my first paid gig from my own home set-up - the most I've recorded at home are IVRs for phone systems (and they are very forgiving when it comes to sound quality).

I've done a sizable block of recording today with the intention to go through and edit tomorrow. Is anyone open to critiquing the sound quality and maybe suggest what buttons to press to tart it up a bit?

Thank you, Goons.

Thoons.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Chris Pistols posted:

After threatening it for a while, finally threw out some auditions for audiobook narration on ACX. Been accepted for one and couldn't be happier! While the client says they're happy with the quality of the recording I submitted for the audition, I'm very aware that this will be my first paid gig from my own home set-up - the most I've recorded at home are IVRs for phone systems (and they are very forgiving when it comes to sound quality).

I've done a sizable block of recording today with the intention to go through and edit tomorrow. Is anyone open to critiquing the sound quality and maybe suggest what buttons to press to tart it up a bit?

Thank you, Goons.

Thoons.
Chop out a 1min chunk and post it, I'll take a listen. Which production software are you using?

Also congrats on your first paid gig! Never ended up agreeing to an ACX job but normal-voiced audiobooks aren't really my strong suit. Feels like an endurance marathon.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

The Joe Man posted:

Chop out a 1min chunk and post it, I'll take a listen. Which production software are you using?

Also congrats on your first paid gig! Never ended up agreeing to an ACX job but normal-voiced audiobooks aren't really my strong suit. Feels like an endurance marathon.

Many thanks!

https://voca.ro/16jyQw1JnIeh

The more I listen to it, the less I like it. I'm using Adobe Audition and have been going through tutorials for pre-sets, but I get the feeling if something's wrong with my core set-up that will just be nothing more than turd-polishing. So Goons, does this sound like poo poo and, if so, why?

Thanks for your help!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I need someone to voice a half-giant. It's my main character and there are hundreds and hundreds of lines. It's a serialized podcast based on a video game. It's twelve episodes long... my old guy did about two and a half worth of lines before disappearing :(

Here's what the original version sounds like. I want to replace Gerakis the half-giant with you. E-mail me at calvinredburn@gmail.com if you're interested.

This is a radio play adapted from a video game, so the dialogue is kind of goofy. I can tell you so much more, but I'm so exhausted. This project should have taken six months but it's been years now. I just want someone who can follow through :(

...I can't pay you :\

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Chris Pistols posted:

Many thanks!

https://voca.ro/16jyQw1JnIeh

The more I listen to it, the less I like it. I'm using Adobe Audition and have been going through tutorials for pre-sets, but I get the feeling if something's wrong with my core set-up that will just be nothing more than turd-polishing. So Goons, does this sound like poo poo and, if so, why?

Thanks for your help!
1. Only potential habitual thing I noticed was occasional nasal/wheeze noise when you breathed in for the next sentence. Sounded more nose than mouth. Not sure if you can fix it but maybe blow your nose or alter your breathing.

2. While for most recordings I'd advise going through and eliminating all breaths between sentences, it'll likely be WAY more work than it's worth for something like an audiobook. However, it's another thing you could do and would likely also take care of the previous problem.

3. Your recording is too quiet. To solve this and also give yourself a small base boost, set this macro up and apply it to each finished recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x__NthInRs

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
screaming "I SAID NO SLATE" out loud at my monitor after hearing the nth audition which slates after my casting call said not to.

also encountered a new nemesis: the person who announces which take it is right before that take occurs. They join my rogues gallery alongside other supervillains such as the guy who always slates midsentence :psyduck:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Xibanya posted:

screaming "I SAID NO SLATE" out loud at my monitor after hearing the nth audition which slates after my casting call said not to.

also encountered a new nemesis: the person who announces which take it is right before that take occurs. They join my rogues gallery alongside other supervillains such as the guy who always slates midsentence :psyduck:
Ha my new nemesis is the casting director (or whoever they decide to make the job posting) saying that an audition file is required with application but they don't provide an actual audition script to read. Or even a rough estimate of total work/lines required if hired.

No, I am not going to go back and forth through email with a "cover letter" and try to pull an audition script out of you for a cheap job that you've now turned into a terrible time =/= money proposition before I've even begun.

Just post the drat script and an email address to send the audition file and reply back if hired. Anything less is a waste of time for everyone!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Joe Man posted:

Ha my new nemesis is the casting director (or whoever they decide to make the job posting) saying that an audition file is required with application but they don't provide an actual audition script to read. Or even a rough estimate of total work/lines required if hired.

No, I am not going to go back and forth through email with a "cover letter" and try to pull an audition script out of you for a cheap job that you've now turned into a terrible time =/= money proposition before I've even begun.

Just post the drat script and an email address to send the audition file and reply back if hired. Anything less is a waste of time for everyone!!

It's to protect the secrecy of the great script, that, if spoiled, may bring the whole production down. In turn, as a VA, you're in your right to protect your audition from being used in the final product for free by adding audio jungle-like audio watermarks to your recording.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Signed up for Backstage a bit ago. Haven't gone hard yet but also haven't landed any of the handful of gigs I've auditioned for (including a sexy frozen dinner commercial and the new "TASTE THE RAINBOW" Skittles guy).

So unfortunately I can't 100% recommend it at the moment since I haven't been hired yet but if you decide to also give it a shot, it'd be appreciated if you did it through my link:
https://fbuy.io/backstage/josefgagnier

Tons of paid gigs on there and the competition seems to mostly suck (from what I've heard) so maybe you'll have better luck. Profile setup was a bit of a pain so feel free to ask me anything about it if you get stuck.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Signed up for Backstage a bit ago. Haven't gone hard yet but also haven't landed any of the handful of gigs I've auditioned for (including a sexy frozen dinner commercial and the new "TASTE THE RAINBOW" Skittles guy).

So unfortunately I can't 100% recommend it at the moment since I haven't been hired yet but if you decide to also give it a shot, it'd be appreciated if you did it through my link:
https://fbuy.io/backstage/josefgagnier

Tons of paid gigs on there and the competition seems to mostly suck (from what I've heard) so maybe you'll have better luck. Profile setup was a bit of a pain so feel free to ask me anything about it if you get stuck.

FYI your link seems to be region locked. I can't access it from Europe at least. I'm still not sure if I should just say gently caress it and aim for a paid gig (however low paying and basic) or if I should do a bunch of unpaid stuff first. It honestly seems like a lot of fan projects etc are way too over ambitious and expect far too much from you despite not paying you. If I do the former I can't use backstage anyways I think since it seems to cost money? So most likely only worth it for people who are already established and have a few credits to their name. (Credits that aren't you screaming into a microphone for free in a videogame :v:)

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 23, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Boar It posted:

I'm still not sure if I should just say gently caress it and aim for a paid gig (however low paying and basic) or if I should do a bunch of unpaid stuff first. It honestly seems like a lot of fan projects etc are way too over ambitious and expect far too much from you despite not paying you.
I'm well past the point of working for free unless it's for a friend or I really dig a project because I (correctly) consider this work and I'd absolutely rather be doing something else with my time. However I guess my main advice would be that if you have the time and the footage/audio/whatever is professional enough to put on your demo then fine, take a volunteer gig if you want. If it's something you'd be embarrassed by once it's finalized then I'd say don't bother.

Regarding Backstage, yeah it's like $75/yr after using a promo code or referral link. I plan to call them sometime this week though to hash out some questions I have regarding client accountability and payment enforcement so I have a better idea of wtf the process is on the other side of things.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

I'm well past the point of working for free unless it's for a friend or I really dig a project because I (correctly) consider this work and I'd absolutely rather be doing something else with my time. However I guess my main advice would be that if you have the time and the footage/audio/whatever is professional enough to put on your demo then fine, take a volunteer gig if you want. If it's something you'd be embarrassed by once it's finalized then I'd say don't bother.

Regarding Backstage, yeah it's like $75/yr after using a promo code or referral link. I plan to call them sometime this week though to hash out some questions I have regarding client accountability and payment enforcement so I have a better idea of wtf the process is on the other side of things.

Thanks for the pointers. I haven't taken the time to seriously look for any gigs in a long while now. So I'll have to get back at it again and see if I can find something small that pays.
I very much appreciate the "dispelling" of voice acting that this thread provides. Especially referencing the hypothetical (but all too real) scenarios posted at top of the OP. Now I just gotta be self-aware enough to not become like that. :v:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
How long is too long to be using the same hardware? I’ve recently discovered that I have been using the same equipment for almost seven years.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Oh you desperately need new toys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

How long is too long to be using the same hardware? I’ve recently discovered that I have been using the same equipment for almost seven years.
If everything is still working for you, I don't really see any need to change. I've had the same equipment (recording-wise) for about a decade now aside from minor production software changes.

If something in particular isn't working, specify it and one of us will probably have a solution that doesn't require $$$$$.