Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Voice acting is neat stuff. I've had the good fortune to get to DJ during college and that was a ton of fun. After school I've built a little setup so I can keep doing silly voices and making audio spots and whatnot.

Name: Cuddlechunks

Specialties: Exasperated, crazed male tenor voice. Sing-song storytime voice for kids, raspy redneck trucker voice.

Tindeck: See below.

Contact: You can reach me at my username@gmail.com or through PM's on this site.

Samples of my silliness (hosted on Tindeck):

Little Bunny Foo Foo the Traitor - This is a children's story of my own composition. It features the sing-song voice and the scary trucker.

How to Talk Like a Girl - why pay for expensive pitch-shifting software when you can just reach down and do it yourself!

HP Lovecraft - The Lurking Fear - Chapter 1 - Part 1 of 4 of my read-through of a Lovecraft story. This has some background music and minor vocal processing (reverb). I read this and a couple other stories for a Lovecraft thread we had a few years ago.

E/N Summary - Wall of Text - I summarize any number of threads in the E/N subforum. Strident tone to start, high-pitched mockery at the end.

How to Talk to Girls - one of our fellow goons was having trouble expressing himself to the fairer sex. Here is a heavily processed take on how to talk to the ladies. Fun fact - no script was used in the creation of this nonsense.

I've used a mix of microphones and recording software to produce these. I'm trying to step up my game and get cleaner sound so I've picked up a new mic, audio hardware and will be constructing a collapsible recording booth to see if I can get a better initial sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Recorded Summerset Hills. Also ripped off the brokeback mountain song for background music.

Gear: PT M-Powered 7.4x, Presonus Bluetube tube pre, M-Audio Firewire 410, Rode NT1A, and Smack! compressor.

e:give me things to read.

invision fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 23, 2012

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Lucia posted:

Request for Project with Good Omens line for audition

Just sent you some clips. Had to download Audacity cause Wavepad decided to not want to load.

It's been sent to your email account. Looking forward to getting some feedback even if I'm not chosen.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Finally had some time to listen to all these (repeatedly) and give feedback. I might sound critical on some things, but it's only because these are issues that I notice, and they're things that you can improve if you watch for it on future readings.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Saw this post right at the end of my show. SAM was recording anyway so I figured I would give this a shot (ignoring time requirements) so I could start getting some feedback on this type of thing! I kept the vocals louder so nothing would bury any awful mistakes - tough when you've never really tried to do a commercial type of thing :). Still having an issue with saliva though (especially since I drink during my shows!)

Pretty good on the technical front, but very sing-songy (and in weird places). Better job on ending your sentences, but I'd still like to hear it more affirmative. Slightly muddled in spots and I'd recommend stricter enunciation on parts like: "you'd better act now so that youcanmoveintoyour dream home before the first snowfall," and the word, "community." Saliva problem has (audibly) lessened considerably from what I heard before, but yes, keep an eye on it. You also have a habit of "z-ing" your "s'," which I notice because I occasionally do the same thing. Last line is weak. It's not bad overall, and honestly, it'd be airable at most small/medium-sized stations. It sounds very much like a commercial though. My best advice for that (and to possibly solve the sing-songyness as well) is for you to pretend that you're telling a friend about this wonderful place called Summerset Hills, and you'd really like them to check it out because it's honestly the perfect place for them to live.

If you want to get really meta, try to imagine what emotions you want to evoke out of the listener (and who that target actually is). Good choice of music if this was a retirement home, but our target here is most likely upper middle-class, early to mid-30's men & women w/children. How would you tone your voice to convince them that Summerset Hills is truly a wonderful place to raise a family?

Believe in what you're saying, and the listener won't question it either.

Nessa posted:

My throat hurt just listening to that. It sounds like the guy is tearing his vocal cords apart by trying to sustain that voice. :(

Here's the ad I did.

It's just in my regular speaking voice. I really didn't know how to approach it, as I've never read anything "non-dramatic" before. I managed to get the good microphone working, and it really emphasizes all my flaws. My voice is all hissy and blarghy.:/
How many takes did you do before you recorded this one? This is important because it means that A) This was one of the first takes you did, most likely within the first 10-15mins, or B) We got bigger problems to fix. Both of these are fine, but I want to know. First things first: Blow your nose and clear your throat thoroughly before attempting to record. This is what stands out the most from this recording. "Getting that promotion at work must feel good," sounds very unnatural and robotic, "Why not celebrate moving up," is stuck in a one-note key that doesn't sound like the beginning of a new sentence, however, "by moving to Summerset Hills?" was good. Firm finish of the question with a soft/non-threatening touch on the end. Unnatural sounding up until "on which to raise their kids," which also ended nicely. Need sharper enunciation on, "sothatyoucanmoveintoyourdream home," and "everysaturday andsunday." It sounds like you were trying to pace yourself a little too fast towards the 2nd half, and were struggling for breath. Unnatural sounding up to, "stay for a lifetime," which ended well. I would look at the advice I posted above for Incredulous Dylan regarding putting emotion into your readings.

To recap: it's not a race, you can slow down. Blow nose/clear throat (several times if necessary). Actually record on...let's say the 20th reading instead of the first few. Try to speak naturally as if you're having a conversation instead of reading a script. Remember that every sentence should have a natural flow, and you ended a few of them pretty well! Make sure that your actual lead-up to that ending sounds natural though.

Most important: Don't give up or get frusterated. It's a process.

The Aphasian posted:

Hey, I'd love some feedback too. Tried more emotion this time (thanks Nessa), but it's hard at 250 wpm.

That copywriter should be shot, preferably with a tranq gun or syringe filled with Quaaludes.
Not audible: a 3-second gasp for breath half-way through that I edited out.
Well, good hustle. Reason I said no time-constraints is because as you've demonstrated, it'll sound ridiculous in 30s. I'd like to hear you do another take sloooower. Can't accurately judge this one other than I'd like a more emotionally-appealing ending. Slow it down and I can take another listen.

Also breathe (or you'll die).

invision posted:

Recorded Summerset Hills. Also ripped off the brokeback mountain song for background music.

Gear: PT M-Powered 7.4x, Presonus Bluetube tube pre, M-Audio Firewire 410, Rode NT1A, and Smack! compressor.

e:give me things to read.
Other than the music bed being about 8dBs too loud, I'm glad you didn't rush it. You sound drunk in that first 2 sentences. You also sound quite young (comparative to most radio folk), which when paired with a sometimes too casual way of ending your sentences, sounds like you don't really know or care what you're talking about. You also really need to try and enunciate, because as of now, most of it sounds pretty muddled. The way you ended the last sentence was good. Really casual...but okay.

Don't take this the wrong way: some commercials sound loving great with a little southern drawl attached. I guarantee you that this one wasn't written with one in mind. When I have some extra time, I'll find a script that I think your accent would be a good fit for, which in turn will allow me to critique the technical quality of your specific style.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hope that helps a bit. Keep practicing out loud!

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 24, 2012

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Happened to catch this on my last forums read of the night. Excellent advice and I seriously appreciate it. I am going to give that reading another shot during the week when I am feeling bright and normal and can properly focus on enunciation. IMO the most helpful bit is about reading like you are talking directly to someone. I have zero experience with any of this so I think I am subconsciously ripping off all the monotone classical music station DJs I listen to, hah. Definitely not a one-size-fits-all solution!

Thanks again for the awesome thread.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

How many takes did you do before you recorded this one? This is important because it means that A) This was one of the first takes you did, most likely within the first 10-15mins, or B) We got bigger problems to fix. Both of these are fine, but I want to know. First things first: Blow your nose and clear your throat thoroughly before attempting to record. This is what stands out the most from this recording. "Getting that promotion at work must feel good," sounds very unnatural and robotic, "Why not celebrate moving up," is stuck in a one-note key that doesn't sound like the beginning of a new sentence, however, "by moving to Summerset Hills?" was good. Firm finish of the question with a soft/non-threatening touch on the end. Unnatural sounding up until "on which to raise their kids," which also ended nicely. Need sharper enunciation on, "sothatyoucanmoveintoyourdream home," and "everysaturday andsunday." It sounds like you were trying to pace yourself a little too fast towards the 2nd half, and were struggling for breath. Unnatural sounding up to, "stay for a lifetime," which ended well. I would look at the advice I posted above for Incredulous Dylan regarding putting emotion into your readings.

To recap: it's not a race, you can slow down. Blow nose/clear throat (several times if necessary). Actually record on...let's say the 20th reading instead of the first few. Try to speak naturally as if you're having a conversation instead of reading a script. Remember that every sentence should have a natural flow, and you ended a few of them pretty well! Make sure that your actual lead-up to that ending sounds natural though.

Most important: Don't give up or get frusterated. It's a process.

Uh, I think that was my 4th take? It was the first one where I didn't flub up a word, actually.

Thanks for the critique. I was so worried you were just going to tell me to give up and go home, because I just don't think my voice suits advertisements or announcements. Not like these other guys!

One thing though, you mentioned clearing the nose and throat. Do I sound too phlegmy or nasally? When I recorded it, there would have been nothing to clear. Is there anything else I could do to help fix that?

Thanks again.

Edit: Also! Do you want me to rerecord it until it's good, or should I practice on something new? My boyfriend said I should record a monologue from a play.

bionics
Jan 23, 2012
Nice post. I think there's a common consensus among every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Suzie-Jane out there that if they can bust out a few imitations of [insert Family Guy, Cartoon Network, South Park character here] voice acting would be a great job for them to just stumble into. Reading this thread, you realize there's a lot more to it.

Reminds me of this article I came across one time: 6 Reasons Why it Would Suck to be a Voice Actor

Peter Cullen is of course the voice of Optimus Prime and other iconic characters... but when even he talks about coughing up phlegmatic blobs of blood... it definitely makes you wonder.

Darthphunk
Jul 3, 2002

Where's my Republic Credits BITCH?!?!?
I hope this thread is still going strong when my stupid head cold is finally gone.

I've done local commercial stuff, but nothing major at all. I always thought my voice was a a little too raspy/airy to get work. Plus, my voice is a little high... I don't know.

When I get better, I'll post a demo with the sample text from earlier in the thread.

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Name: ChaosTheory (CornetTheory)

Specialties: Serious Old/ middle-aged guy. Dr. Kleiner

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/chaostheory

IMDB/Portfolio:

http://www.onlyintheory.com/audio/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2651160/

Contact: Information (email, skype) in the footer of my website

Payment: paypal is my email.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The Joe Man posted:

Well, good hustle. Reason I said no time-constraints is because as you've demonstrated, it'll sound ridiculous in 30s. I'd like to hear you do another take sloooower. Can't accurately judge this one other than I'd like a more emotionally-appealing ending. Slow it down and I can take another listen.

Also breathe (or you'll die).

Here's a more sane take; the 30 second challenge was too tempting I guess. Thanks for taking the time to give us all feedback.

Listening to it after uploading, "must feel good" sounds wierd.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hey guys. I'd really like some c&c on this commercial piece I did. https://www.tedsbulletin.com (click the radio)
I did the spoken word parts. All of them. I'd really like to keep going with this and get better.

Edit: you can click the knobs on the radio to skip tracks.

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 25, 2012

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
[Redacted]

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 2, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Nessa posted:

Uh, I think that was my 4th take? It was the first one where I didn't flub up a word, actually.

Thanks for the critique. I was so worried you were just going to tell me to give up and go home, because I just don't think my voice suits advertisements or announcements. Not like these other guys!

One thing though, you mentioned clearing the nose and throat. Do I sound too phlegmy or nasally? When I recorded it, there would have been nothing to clear. Is there anything else I could do to help fix that?

Thanks again.

Edit: Also! Do you want me to rerecord it until it's good, or should I practice on something new? My boyfriend said I should record a monologue from a play.
Yes, you sound like you have a cold. Everyone's different, but try sipping on a hot cup of coffee, don't record within the first hour of waking up, and make sure both your nose AND your throat are clear. Also, try 20th take. Not 4th.

I'd rather have you re-record Summerset if you want a critique, but you're obviously free to post whatever you'd like.

The Aphasian posted:

Here's a more sane take; the 30 second challenge was too tempting I guess. Thanks for taking the time to give us all feedback.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Hey guys. I'd really like some c&c on this commercial piece I did. https://www.tedsbulletin.com (click the radio)
I did the spoken word parts. All of them. I'd really like to keep going with this and get better.

I'll check these both out tomorrow.

:frogsiren: To everyone else: give these folks some weird poo poo to read, thanks. :frogsiren:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Interesting thread....

I've been a radio DJ and stage actor, but recently I've been narrating a bunch of youtube videos which have quite a few positive comments about my narration work.

(example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0M7jkv3xkQ )

My voice is.... solid. I have a soft Scottish accent that has been diluted by living in California for a decade. I can approximate about a dozen distinct regional british and irish accents and have a decent tonal range to distinguish characters. I'm also known within our school for my performances at storytime, providing distinct characterizations for the myriad of characters in Harry Potter or LOTR. (this gets funny when I don't read far enough ahead and get confused with who's saying what).

Honestly, right now I'm just looking at this as an amusing hobby, but I've had enough positive feedback that maybe there's something there that'll supplement the day job. (beyond the $30 a month I get from youtube).

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...
Name: Adib

Specialties: Deep, confident, authoritative, announcer/broadcaster, reciting all kinds of passages and excerpts. I can also do this in Persian, and people have also given me props on my Buk Lau (think of the Asian voice done by OwnagePranks) impression, so I can do that too.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/adib - I don't have anything uploaded here, though.

IMDB/Portfolio: I have a reading of Poe's "The Raven" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oedWRWNPL-k
Also did a promo ad for a school performance here: http://soundcloud.com/adibm/swag-entertainment-audition

Payment: Just contact me by e-mail and we'll work something out.

I use an AT2020 Audio Technica USB microphone.

I'd also like to testify to Voices.com being a giant scam. In addition to everything mentioned in the OP, I personally tried them out for one month (thank goodness I caught them at a $9.95 special) and completed around 45 ads, all for nothing. I recommend that you guys try someone else and steer clear of Voices.com.

Adib fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 26, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

illectro posted:

Honestly, right now I'm just looking at this as an amusing hobby, but I've had enough positive feedback that maybe there's something there that'll supplement the day job. (beyond the $30 a month I get from youtube).

Quick kinda-outta-topic question: all your more popular videos are mostly footage of EVE; I thought Youtube didn't allow monetization of anything that's not 100% original content. Did it just slip by them or am I thinking it's way stricter than it actually is?

EDIT: vvvvv Cool, thanks for answering vvvvv

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 26, 2012

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

The Joe Man posted:

Quick kinda-outta-topic question: all your more popular videos are mostly footage of EVE; I thought Youtube didn't allow monetization of anything that's not 100% original content. Did it just slip by them or am I thinking it's way stricter than it actually is?

Youtube seem to be pretty lenient about monetization of video game content, they have some guidelines on what's considered fair use, but they specifically say that simply playing a game and recording it without any editing or narration is not monetizable, but instructional guides are a great example of something which is allowed.

I believe that some publishers ask that videos of their games are more restricted, but CCP seem quite happy with my Eve videos (they've even sent me swag packages and feature my work).

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

Yes, you sound like you have a cold. Everyone's different, but try sipping on a hot cup of coffee, don't record within the first hour of waking up, and make sure both your nose AND your throat are clear. Also, try 20th take. Not 4th.

I'd rather have you re-record Summerset if you want a critique, but you're obviously free to post whatever you'd like.

Okay, here's my second run, but it doesn't really sound any better to me than my first attempt.

It's my 20ish take and I had a cup of tea while recording. I swear my nose and throat were as clear as I could get them and that I don't have a cold. That's just how my voice sounds.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Joe Man - thanks for making this thread and taking time to give critiques. I recorded the Summerset Hills text and would like some feedback.

Polish posted:

Notes: Sound excited, this is to announce a kids birthday, be loud and clear so you can be heard via loudspeakers in the hockey rink
:3: I miss the cool birthday parties at the local arcade / skating rink. Coming up next - it's an all skate!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Slightly robotic sounding overall, but I honestly think that's just due to what your voice sounds like. This really isn't that bad at all! Let's break down why:

Yes, the "must feel gooood" part sounds a little sexual when you try to hear it, but it'd be completely unnoticable on a first few listens and only gets creepier the more times you actively listen for it. The way you said it is still better than having no emotion behind it at all, and it's really not that weird.

Everything up through "dozens of single family homes" is good. A little sing-songy but your emphasis hits on the right spots. I would slow down and "emotionalize" "pie-shaped lots, tucked away on Lilly's Fair Courts," with a stronger ending to the sentence. Think of it like this: EVERYONE in the community knows that Lilly's Fair Courts is THE beautiful, safe place to be. Try to get that across with your voice, and end the street name with a softer yet more final finish. I'd start "perfect for young families and parents" in the mid-range, and end lower (instead of higher like in your take). That would then segue into a low to mid-range "who want a safe, and secluded street." "On which to raise their kids," was good. "With homes selling quickly," I'd start low and end mid to low-high, and then put more emphasis on "better act now" and slow it down slightly. Also slow down "so you can move into your dream home," and try to appeal to, well, someone's "dreams" of owning the perfect home! "Before the first snowfall," was delivered excellently. Actually, the entire rest of your take is very good. The information delivery is clear, consistent, and has emphasis on all the right spots. Your specific emphasis on that last line in particular is exactly what I wanted to hear from someone. You nailed it.

Definitely airable. Overall, great job.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Even though that's probably my favorite Louis Armstrong song, do you have strictly your voice clips uploaded somewhere? All I heard was 5 words in an old timey voice and well there's not much I can do with that. Especially since I can't seem to skip ahead of the music or anything.

FAKE EDIT: Okay, I listened through Kiss to Build a Dream On and heard a back-and-forth between "two" people. Since I can't replay it to actually listen to it repeatedly, my advice may actually be wrong *gasp*: The really exaggerated guy was kinda funny, but there were a couple spots that I couldn't make out what he said. I also (possibly) noticed some distortion that could've been caused by recording too high and peaking your levels. I can't go back and actually figure out what's wrong though. On the opposite side, your "smooth" guy was too quiet and didn't have a ton of personality.

Show me some raw clips and I can possibly help, but I hope you understand why I can't do much with that radio.

Nessa posted:

Okay, here's my second run, but it doesn't really sound any better to me than my first attempt.

It's my 20ish take and I had a cup of tea while recording. I swear my nose and throat were as clear as I could get them and that I don't have a cold. That's just how my voice sounds.
You really don't sound as stuffed up as the first time. It's noticably better. Your levels are a little too high, but let's go into the read quality rather than technical.

Slow..................downnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. You also need to enunciate a lot better, but I think this is a byproduct of trying to speak too fast. It sounds like you're reading a commercial and you just want to get through it as fast as possible and when is Brandon coming back with lunch he should be here by now why did they hire that dunce and GOD I JUST WANNA GO HOME and why hasn't the clocked moved at all AHHHHHHH I DON'T WANNA BE HERE ANYMORE oh god i need a vacation*peels out of office parking lot*
^^^^^ The (exaggerated) vibe I get from your reading ^^^^^

You are telling a friend about Summerset Hills. You want them to live in Summerset Hills. Summerset Hills is beautiful, and really it's the best place for them. Please friend, sit down for a spell. Let me tell you about the many wonders of Summerset Hills. :) :) :) :) :unsmigghh:

Yes, it is a lovely commercial. Yes, it was written by someone who doesn't understand the basic concept of time. BUT, your job is to make it sound NOT like a commercial. The only time it should feel even slightly wooden is when you're giving important information, such as dates, times, addresses, websites, phone numbers, etc...if you don't enunciate and give out that information clearly & audibly, the company or person that paid for that commercial has every right to be MEGA PISSED (and they WILL be).

I really don't mean to be harsh but it doesn't sound like you applied or practiced any of my previous advice at all. If you want to try again, I will go through another critique with a new read, but please, for both our sake, read and exercise what I've said just now and previously. Advice that I've given to you AND other readers.

CuddleChunks posted:

The Joe Man - thanks for making this thread and taking time to give critiques. I recorded the Summerset Hills text and would like some feedback.

No problem! Gotta critique your reading at another time though. I've been working on this post/listening for over an hour and it's 4am. Eyes are gettin' buggy.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
The Joe Man; Thanks for giving it a listen and the feedback, Let me see if I have the files still somewhere, or cut some of the stuff in the thread.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

[Redacted]

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 2, 2012

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

You really don't sound as stuffed up as the first time. It's noticably better. Your levels are a little too high, but let's go into the read quality rather than technical.

Slow..................downnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. You also need to enunciate a lot better, but I think this is a byproduct of trying to speak too fast. It sounds like you're reading a commercial and you just want to get through it as fast as possible and when is Brandon coming back with lunch he should be here by now why did they hire that dunce and GOD I JUST WANNA GO HOME and why hasn't the clocked moved at all AHHHHHHH I DON'T WANNA BE HERE ANYMORE oh god i need a vacation*peels out of office parking lot*
^^^^^ The (exaggerated) vibe I get from your reading ^^^^^

You are telling a friend about Summerset Hills. You want them to live in Summerset Hills. Summerset Hills is beautiful, and really it's the best place for them. Please friend, sit down for a spell. Let me tell you about the many wonders of Summerset Hills. :) :) :) :) :unsmigghh:

Yes, it is a lovely commercial. Yes, it was written by someone who doesn't understand the basic concept of time. BUT, your job is to make it sound NOT like a commercial. The only time it should feel even slightly wooden is when you're giving important information, such as dates, times, addresses, websites, phone numbers, etc...if you don't enunciate and give out that information clearly & audibly, the company or person that paid for that commercial has every right to be MEGA PISSED (and they WILL be).

I really don't mean to be harsh but it doesn't sound like you applied or practiced any of my previous advice at all. If you want to try again, I will go through another critique with a new read, but please, for both our sake, read and exercise what I've said just now and previously. Advice that I've given to you AND other readers.

I'm sorry. I really did try my best. :(

I'll work on it one more time.

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

The Joe Man posted:

It's a good mic, and I've used it extensively without issue. I'm not going to recommend something I haven't used.

Anyone who has experience with other quality microphones is encouraged to write up a little review and I'll add it in to the OP.

The SM58 is a good mic because you don't need a good room. It's not super-sensitive, so it's not going to pick up all the reverb that's bouncing around the literal box of an apartment that you live in. The nicer the mic (like a good condenser mic), the more room detail it's going to get. I noticed this problem with some podcast DJ stuff a friend of mine was doing. She was using an excellent mic, and all the boxy room noise came through brilliantly. I told her to switch to the cheap dynamic Shure mic she had, and it sounded a lot better.

A good condenser mic will pic up a lot of harmonic detail (it can respond quickly to sharp attacks, is very sensitive, etc.), and is nice for use on musical instruments, to record sounds that are further away, or to faithfully capture the quality of a sound. One drawback is that they can result in a harsher sound (because they respond to sound quickly). They're also generally more expensive, sometimes a hell of a lot more. Lastly, condenser mics transfer sound into electric signals through fluctuations created in an electric field between two plates. This electric field needs to be created with electricity. This means a power supply of some sort is needed, and that's what phantom power is. It's electricity that runs along your microphone cable and powers your mic from whatever source it's plugged into so you don't need a dedicated power supply or battery.

A dynamic mic has the benefits of being cheaper, less sensitive, more durable, and sometimes more colored in tone (use the right mic for the right job, and that color is a good thing. The SM58 is designed for voice). It's the type of mic you want to use for doing announcer poo poo in your bedroom, for sure.

A ribbon mic is what the old announcers used. They're super loving expensive (generally) and break really really easily (one wrong "p" sound without proper pop filter protection and it's goodbye $1000 microphone, and don't ever plug it into something with phantom power on. Or better yet don't plug it into something that even has phantom power capability). They also respond very slowly to sounds (the sound has to move this relatively massive metal strip back and forth). This slow response smooths attacks, creating a rounder sound. They are generally warmer in tone, which announcers like.

Wow this is a longer post than I intended. So I'm just going to continue with the wall of text and go to microphone preamps.

You know that really nice "professional sound" you're having a super hard time getting, even with your expensive microphone? You need a nice mic preamp. If you're absolutely 100% serious about recording, spend the money and get one. And by nice, it shouldn't cost less than $500. I know that sounds snobby, but it just isn't worth it to spend $200 on an "entry level" preamp. The difference in sound quality is huge. You might as well just use the preamps that are built into your mixer or audio-to-digital converter; and there's honestly nothing wrong with that - be creative with the poo poo you have. But if you're really loving serious, as in professional-level serious (and talented, nice equipment's not going to make you a better musician or speaker or whatever), get something that's a real professional tool.

I only bring this up because I know there are a lot of creative types who post on these forums. I think a lot of DIY musicians and other people aren't aware that this is the missing link in making a good recording. I know some very serious creative people who have gotten very frustrated because they think they have all the right tools, and yet they can't get a professional, full sound in their recordings. When they finally get a nice mic preamp, they're very happy. You can have the best mic in the world, and if it runs into a lovely mic preamp, then it's not going to sound good. You can have a cheap crappy mic, and with a great preamp get a great sound out of it (or at least a sound that's going to be useful in some situation).

I would go with the Grace Designs m101 or a nice tube preamp like a Universal Audio SOLO/610. The 610 would work really well for announcing, and add a lot of warmth. The Grace Designs is a good all-around preamp that doesn't break the bank. Just look at other preamps around that price point, and you'll find something that'll be great quality and last you forever.

Oh, and get a nice pop filter if you want to do anything with speech. They only cost a couple bucks.

Dr. Bit fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 27, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Dr. Bit posted:

:words:
Wonderful post, thanks. I admit that I'm not much of a hardware guy (mostly just speech technique & post-production), so this information is golden. Only thing I disagree with you on is the pop filter, since I'd rather have folks learn not to pop in the first place and develop lazy habits. Filter is nice though if you just want to get in & out quickly.

Added to the OP!

Dr. Bit
Jun 14, 2005

The Joe Man posted:

Only thing I disagree with you on is the pop filter, since I'd rather have folks learn not to pop in the first place and develop lazy habits. Filter is nice though if you just want to get in & out quickly.

Actually, that's a good point. I've never worked with spoken word people. A pop filter is a must for singers, though, because they're projecting a lot more (if not as much as they possibly can).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

One of the benefits of overcoming a mumbling speech impediment is that I enunciate fairly well and didn't even know popping was a problem people had until radio coworkers commented that I seemed to be immune, although the monotone thing is still something I struggle with obviously.

Unfortunately, I still mumble in face to face communications sometimes (although never on the phone), so I'd have to be careful about that if I ever met a potential client in person. I can only guess that it is because the "therapy" centered on making me record myself and play it back over and over until it matched a sample tape.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Dr. Bit posted:

Actually, that's a good point. I've never worked with spoken word people. A pop filter is a must for singers, though, because they're projecting a lot more (if not as much as they possibly can).

It's a combination of mic placement, controlled breathing and practice. A good mic or a good pop filter can help diminish that kind of stuff, but good habits are an important thing to develop.

Another good tip for people is to wear headphones as you're recording. It takes some getting used to hearing yourself as you're speaking in a new way, but you can detect problems as they're happening and adjust accordingling. A good test is to read something with a lot of P's in it, like Peter Piper, to get an idea of how much you pop.

I think Joe alluded to this as well, getting a good read from a cold script is really hard. Read it over a few times before even sitting down (or ideally standing) to record. If you can print it on a piece of paper, this gives you a chance to mark your copy. Underline or circle areas you want to focus on, like places to attack or emphasize, that sort of thing.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 28, 2012

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Okay, it took me a while but here goes.

Name: Song for the Deaf

Specialties: Narration. Announcements/Promos. Earnest-sounding, serious, no real age to my voice. A few accents, with some ability to do dramatic reads.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/duckfeed

Payment: Paypal

Here's a sample I just recorded. It's an excerpt from the intro to one of my favorite books, House of Leaves. I wanted to read something spooky.

I run a podcast network called Duckfeed.tv, and I've done radio DJ work in the past (at a radio station that read periodicals for the blind, so plenty of experience interpreting copy).

I'm currently doing freelance voice work for the production company I work full time at. I record on a Heil PR-40, which is mounted onto a Heil PL-2T boom. It's plugged in through an M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and I do all of my recording and editing in Logic Express.

Let me know what you think.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Post something for me to drawl over.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

All right, I have something I'd like to hear some voices on. This is a script I threw together about a week before New Year's that never got voiced. I don't have any money to pay folks for it, but it's acting so I hope it can be approached in good fun.

Length: I would think the whole thing would come in at around 6 minutes or so. I don't want the reads rushed, but I would like a sense of urgency on most of the lines.

Notes: This is a series of news hits, to be played straight, about time standing still as a result of Dick Clark not finishing his New Year's Eve Countdown. The script calls for five men and one woman. One of the men is Obama, so if you can do a good impression that would be sweet. There's also a BIG NEWS VOICE which can be either sex.

BIG NEWS VOICE: Male or Female

SLATE CASPIAN (m): Lead News Anchor. Live in studio.

ADAM ERIC (m): Lead News Reporter. On location at Times Square.

JENNIFER ANDREA (f): White House Correspondent. On location at the White House.

BILL WILLIAM (m): Current Affairs Reporter. On location at O'Hare International Airport.

ANDREW WILKINS (m): Stranded traveler from Daytona, Florida. Stuck at O'Hare International.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA (m): El Presidente.

Script:The script is hosted here on Google Docs. I have it set to "anyone with the link" so you shouldn't need a Google account to see it.

EDIT May 2, 2012: [This has since been removed]

Now, if this is a bit too far out, then we can back off from this for the time being. Let me know if you guys are interested/not interested or if you want some direction on the script. I'd be happy to oblige.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 2, 2012

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug

Leofish posted:

script

I'll read a part, I'll leave it open as to which part I do, but I'm not a good obama.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ChaosTheory, I just want to pop in and say you voiced my favorite interpretation of "Doom: Repercussions of Evil". Thank you for that.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I would like to try Wilkins in order to practice emotional delivery.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...
I'd like to do the big news voice.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So glad you started this thread, Joe Man. I'm one of those random goons who has started a thread every now and then to read things for people.

Name: Stinkmeister

Specialties: Lots of dialects. I'm particularly proud of my bombastic British gentleman, and old man

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/stinkmeister

Payment: PM or email me and we'll work it out

Along with Triangle Head (and some others), I took part in The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing by Chewbot, playing the narrator. I've also read for a couple of goon projects, but I don't have links for them. My threads in the past have been called "I will say what you tell me to say"

Here's my take on the Summerset commercial:

I wanted to avoid an 'announcery' sound, but in retrospect, I'm not sure the whispery/off voice approach worked so well. I'd love to hear feedback.

I'd also be happy to take a part in Leofish's script. Any part other than Obama.

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 29, 2012

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
Another famous script for VO challenges: "The Retro Encabulator" This script was soley designed to make fun of technobabble. I encourage everyone to give it a try as it is good practice for words you can't read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

wikipedia posted:

Retroencabulator script

Here at Rockwell Automation's world headquarters, research has been proceeding to develop a line of automation products that establishes new standards for quality, technological leadership and operating excellence. With customer success as our primary focus, work has been proceeding on the crudely conceived idea of an instrument that would not only provide inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors, but would also be capable of automatically synchronizing cardinal grammeters.

Such an instrument comprised of Dodge gears and bearings, Reliance Electric motors, Allen-Bradley controls, and all monitored by Rockwell Software is Rockwell Automation's retro-encabulator.

Now basically the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motion of conductors and fluxes, it's produced by the modial interaction of magneto reluctance and capacitive duractance. The original machine had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings ran in a direct line with the panametric fan.

The line-up consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzul vanes so fitted to the ambaphascient lunar wain shaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-odeltoid type placed in panendurmic semi-bulloid slots of the stator. Every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremmy pipe to the differential girdle spring on the up-end of the grammeters.

Moreover, whenever fluorescent square motion is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with the drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
The retro-encabulator has now reached a high level of development, and it’s being successfully used in the operation of Milford trunnions. It's available soon, wherever Rockwell Automation products are being sold.

Here is my take of it for Shits and Giggles:

ChaosTheory fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 29, 2012

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosTheory posted:

Another famous script for VO challenges: "The Retro Encabulator" This script was soley designed to make fun of technobabble. I encourage everyone to give it a try as it is good practice for words you can't read.

Phew, it is good practice. Here's a quick shot at it:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

ChaosTheory posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

Sadly, that script sounds a lot like what I say at work most days. Computers are basically bullshit technobabble.

I wanted to have some fun with the script so there are three different voices used. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Just want to pop-in and say sorry about not being around to critique for folks that wanted it. Been away/busy and will assumedly get a chance Monday at the latest.

Technobabble speech looks fun, I'll also give it a shot when I have time.