Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Got anything in the lists, Joe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

WarpedNaba posted:

Got anything in the lists, Joe?
One GIANT one (that I'll definitely be casting for) waiting in the wings and I might need some backup on a separate project but nothing's confirmed yet.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You know where to find me.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

King Lou posted:

Hey NYC VO folks. I just got this in the mail.

https://www.voices.com/upcoming/levelup/newyork

I know many people are anti-P2P. I didn't have any luck with Voice.com but had a fair amount of luck with Voice123. YMMV

I find there is usually some decent networking to be done at these things if you aren't shy.

My boss is one of the presenters for this. And like it was mentioned, an hour really isn't enough time to provide a lot of information, the whole format is a bit strange. But, with the names I do know at the event, they are more than happy to say hello and answer questions you have.

Mihai Zetta
Aug 13, 2015

TUS posted:

My boss is one of the presenters for this. And like it was mentioned, an hour really isn't enough time to provide a lot of information, the whole format is a bit strange. But, with the names I do know at the event, they are more than happy to say hello and answer questions you have.

CHRIST, WHAT AN rear end in a top hat. :v:

Seriously though, I'm sure they'll have something worthwhile to share both in the panel and for anyone who knows who they are and reaches out. Xavier Paul Cadeau who's doing the closing ceremony is a cool dude with a strong career history, and I've worked with Shelly Shenoy before. Actress/casting director Marissa Lenti also did the Dallas LevelUp last year, and she really knows how to master the P2P game, but as I mentioned, Dallas was dropped this year from the lineup for whatever It is just a pity that the format is such rapid-fire cattle-herding.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

That was a great article. I was considering joining Voices but now I'm having second thoughts after reading this. I'm going to try to make it out to the next VO Atlanta now that I know it is a thing. How can I find out about other similar events?

My suggestions are to go balls-to-the-wall with social media (particularly Facebook) and sign up for Voice Over Xtra's daily newsletter. Depending on your experience level, check out the Facebook groups Voice-Over Camp or Voice-over Pros which are probably my favorite places where actors congregate since there's a high amount of quality activity. There's also the Global Voice Acting Academy which is great for training, rate guides, and info on events, WoVO/World-Voices.org, and GANG: Game Audio Network Guild. That one's a bit more general game audio focused, but I know a few master audio nerds there who are also voice actors/actresses. There's a good chance that there's a regional voiceover Facebook group of some kind for more intimate meetups, but the only ones I know personally are DFW and general Texas-based ones.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Mihai Zetta posted:

My suggestions are to go balls-to-the-wall with social media (particularly Facebook) and sign up for Voice Over Xtra's daily newsletter. Depending on your experience level, check out the Facebook groups Voice-Over Camp or Voice-over Pros which are probably my favorite places where actors congregate since there's a high amount of quality activity. There's also the Global Voice Acting Academy which is great for training, rate guides, and info on events, WoVO/World-Voices.org, and GANG: Game Audio Network Guild. That one's a bit more general game audio focused, but I know a few master audio nerds there who are also voice actors/actresses. There's a good chance that there's a regional voiceover Facebook group of some kind for more intimate meetups, but the only ones I know personally are DFW and general Texas-based ones.

Thanks for the links! I'll try to check them all out!

I also got an email from a local voice acting coach. They have sent me their rates. $100 for the introductory session, then $75 for each one-hour follow-up session, or $100 for 90 minutes, or $125 for a two-hour session. Are these reasonable? Should I go to the introductory session and check it out?

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 19, 2017

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I also got an email from a local voice acting coach. They have sent me their rates. $100 for the introductory session, then $75 for each one-hour follow-up session, or $100 for 90 minutes, or $125 for a two-hour session. Are these reasonable? Should I go to the introductory session and check it out?
God no. I'd say this at any price (it's a scam).

You'll get more coaching from this thread...but you'll have to read.....Summerset Hills.......

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

God no. I'd say this at any price (it's a scam).

You'll get more coaching from this thread...but you'll have to read.....Summerset Hills.......

You're on. I'm traveling abroad until the end of the month but when I get back I'll read your Summerset Hills.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

The Joe Man posted:

You need to find your own work.

(or get hired by me I guess)

How do I find voiceover work, I'm not in Chicago or LA or NYC.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Back from my trip. I'm going to record Summerset Hills today so expect that sometime tonight. In the meantime I finally sat down to put down my info for the OP.

Name: SwitchbladeKult

Specialties: Character voices. Can range from masculine but soft to deep and filled with angst.

Tindeck: SwitchbladeKult on Tindeck

Payment: PayPal: rob.kult@gmail.com

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Summerset Hills :dance:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Summerset Hills :dance:

Any feedback? I welcome any and all criticisms.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I'll check this out tonight or tomorrow if I have time.

Well, another project under my belt:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/351480/Age_of_Fear_The_Undead_King/

Voiced all narration for both campaigns. The developer decided to hire someone else behind my back for the sequel (with hilarious results) but you get what you pay for I guess. The sequel was one of the projects (I thought was) on deck to potentially contract out some parts/audition here but we'll have to scratch that off the table.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eh, I scored the big bad roles for both Xanadu games so I'm p busy on that front.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Oh, they've begun to cast that? I hope I get a part!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, it has been so long but I still have my Blue Yeti for gaming and general music recording. What a great mic! Thought after all these years it would be fun to record another take at Somerset Hills:

https://soundcloud.com/incredulousdylan/somserset-hills

Still wish I had gotten into VO, but I've got a mortgage! Keep rocking it, guys!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

BRIEF BREAKDOWN

"Getting that promotion at work must feel good": Zero emotion in voice and sounds like you're reading a script. Empathize with hypothetical listener who just received a promotion with money to burn and ooze it through your voice a little bit.

"Why not celebrate moving up by moving to Summerset Hills?": This is a question but you didn't read it as such. Keep in mind that you're trying to sell something so this should be read as an "obvious choice" question as if it'd be stupid NOT to move to Summerset Hills.

"Neighborhoods...3rd phase": Nothing terrible here.

"Choose from dozens of single family homes on pie-shaped lots tucked away on Lily's Fair Court": Oddly strong emphasis on "dozens." Popping the P of "pie." "Lilly's" is muddled.

"Perfect for young families and parents who want a safe and secluded street on which to raise their kids.": Popping on "perfect" and sentence is oddly segmented flow-wise. Very roller-coastery for zero reason.

"With homes selling quickly, you better act now so that you can move into your dream home before the first snowfall.": Odd raised tempo on both "quickly" and then immediately after on "now;" definite over-arching speech pattern that should be noted and hammered out of habit. Odd spacing between "now" & "so." "so that you can move...first snowfall" section is good.

"Open houses are being held every Saturday and Sunday from twelve until four.": Exact same hilly presentation as before. You're now in the informational part of the script so this should be direct, clear, concise, and quicker yet stable tempo/pitch-wise. You're past the selling part other than the closer.

"To learn more about the Summerset Community, visit our website online or call 555-3125.": Effectively the same advice as above.

"Summerset Hills...move in today and stay for a lifetime.": As this is your closer, it needs to be perfect/memorable. "Summerset" needs to be enunciated better. Still too hilly on end of sentence. "Stay for" doesn't sound natural together (up down up down). Inconsistent on where you're taking the sentence.

GENERAL PROBLEM PATTERN: You're way too hilly in your readings and go up & down for no reason other than trying to achieve variation. It's distracting and easy to spot. Try to achieve a much smoother and appropriate slope depending upon what emotional response you're trying to achieve based upon the actual script. They're not just random words thrown together for someone on the street to read; they have a purpose and that purpose is to sell some goddamn townhomes.

So sell them.
-----------------------
If you'd like more immediate coaching, I'd suggest going through the thread or clicking on the ? under my Av to see my critiques of other posters (usually with a valid tindeck link of their reading quoted within my post). There's a ton of applicable advice that's already been written for past goons that anyone can likely use for their own readings. I don't have nearly as much time as I used to for individualized coaching so the more proactive you can be improving on your own using the resources already provided, the better.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

NEWEST COMPLETED PROJECT
Listen to me yell at you while swinging golf balls at a giant lobster monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRC72X_i8gA

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

BRIEF BREAKDOWN

Thank you for the amazing feedback. I'll check out your other posts as you've recommended. I'll work hard to hammer out these bad habits.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Hey dudes. The marching band I teach is looking for some narration for our show this year. It's about an art gallery and we need basically an elegant tour guide (possible English accent?) to record some lines. We're offering $100 for your work if you're interested. Thanks!

Here's the script:

Right this way, please... Please assemble in this area ladies and gentlemen... The tour will begin in just a few minutes... Come right in... Right this way... Step this way. please... The tour is about to begin.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to… The Gallery...

Our first piece is titled Masks Still Life 3. Expressionist artist, Emil Nolde intended for this painting of various masks of non-Western cultures to be macabre and frightening.

Our next painting is Cafe Terrace at Night, by Vincent Van Gogh. This work depicts a typical evening on the street in Arles, France, where people are seated at the outdoor tables and chairs of a popular coffee house.

Please direct your attention to this painting by Abbott Handerson Thayer. He is largely known as a painter of 'ideal figures', in which he portrayed women as embodiments of virtue. This piece, Angel, is both a portrait of his daughter Mary and an allegory of hope and spirituality.

We end our tour with Piet Mondrian’s Composition with Red, Blue, and Yellow. The canvas uses only the simplest of colors and is reduced to squares and rectangles defined by vertical and horizontal lines.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'm not a regular VO guy, but I've got a decent studio setup so why not:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Bk7kekE8Lt

Recorded using an SM58. If you like my general tone I can record this with some other, better mics too, but they're locked up at my office right now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Haaang on, is this the same parade thing I did a year or two back? I'm still waiting on the end result.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

WarpedNaba posted:

Haaang on, is this the same parade thing I did a year or two back? I'm still waiting on the end result.

Hey WarpedNaba! This is the same band but a much different show. Sorry, I thought I sent you a link to our video from back then. Here is a video of us using your voiceover work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbeHCwMUibI

The first narration is at about 0:35 but they go throughout the show.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Nice little article about making sure you get paid.

https://vomasterclass.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/what-to-do-when-voice-over-client-wont.html

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

This is great advice, and reminded me to send an invoice for my latest VO gig, whoops! Thanks for posting.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I don't have time to do it, but I think they're still looking for someone:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tlg/6285806718.html

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

The Joe Man posted:

I don't have time to do it, but I think they're still looking for someone:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/tlg/6285806718.html

You sure? The ad was posted over three weeks ago...

P.S. Holding a free voiceover class--my first in LA!--Monday night; if anyone else in here is LA-based and interested, get on it as this thing is filling up SUPER quickly: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/free-class-finding-work-and-success-in-voice-acting-real-talk-edition-tickets-37897807362?ref=savo

P.P.S. I am suuuuuuuuuuper excited to have worked with some really awesome voice actors on this awesome game, Battle Chef Brigade, which is being published by Adult Swim Games!! It'll be out on Nintendo Switch and PC around the holidays later this year :3: This was my first SAG-AFTRA video game (FINALLY! Woooo!!) and SUCH a blast to work on!!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I thought SAG-AFTRA VOAs were on strike. When did that end and how did it turn out?

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I thought SAG-AFTRA VOAs were on strike. When did that end and how did it turn out?

We still are, but it's only specific companies and projects that are struck. This was an independent studio who signed onto the new promulgated interactive agreement. https://www.sagaftra.org/interactive

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Dag... it appears Tindeck is gone or got corrupted. :saddowns: I foolishly kept a lot of random stuff there.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tindeck :negative:

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Well now it's back up... so... nevermind...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The scary thing about Tindeck (for us) is that the owners have more or less gone radio-silent over the past few years. Checking out their twitter account, the last tweet was in late 2013. So, the site could just flat out stop working one day, for good :negative:

And then what would happen to our annual SA Awful Christmas Music thread (coming Nov 1st, 2017)? :smith:

EDIT: This is weird, from https://who.is/whois/tindeck.com

quote:

Expires On 2016-02-26
Registered On 2004-02-26
Updated On 2015-02-12

EDIT 2: Welp, nevermind, I guess who.is is bullshit with their records.

From https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=tindeck.com

quote:

Important Dates
Updated Date: 2017-01-28
Created Date: 2004-02-26
Registrar Expiration Date: 2018-02-26

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 10, 2017

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

This video I did some VO for a while back just got posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uIeKsI94D4

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I've just started recording and I'm looking for some feedback. I'm using a Scarlett 2i2, Audacity, and my mic is a Rode NT1-A.

I'm releasing a collection of SF&F horror short stories, and I'd like to get good enough to release my own audiobook for it. This is my first practice run at recording a poem called "Plague Rooster."

Any advice as to what I should be doing in Audacity? I'm not using any features other than the big red record button...

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Is it possible to book through Voice123 without a demo?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Is it possible to book through Voice123 without a demo?

Well, I mean if you were producing an audio book and looking for talent, would you want someone that doesn't have a showcase of their voice/skills?

It might be possible to snag work without a demo, but then you might wind up working for really lousy producers. It is as much an issue of "would I work for this kind of person" as much as "would they hire me".

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

Well, I mean if you were producing an audio book and looking for talent, would you want someone that doesn't have a showcase of their voice/skills?

It might be possible to snag work without a demo, but then you might wind up working for really lousy producers. It is as much an issue of "would I work for this kind of person" as much as "would they hire me".

Well, I'm looking for a way to get in front of auditions so I can land some gigs so I can save up to get a professionally made demo. I thought maybe Voice123 could be a way to accomplish that. I don't live near any of the main talent hubs so I'm not sure what to do.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

It's been a few years since I was on Voice123 but i don't recall there being a lot of audio book work there. Mostly cheap, local commercials & weird website vo jobs. I landed 2 weird jobs there. DoctorsHelp.com & PsychicsHelp.com (both RIP). But you might get lucky. They are good at hiding their paying jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mihai Zetta
Aug 13, 2015

I'd be wary about the P2P sites for audiobook gigs since clients who look for talent there tend to underbid like hell. Racking up commercial credits or animation work there is one thing, but for audiobooks and E-learning, consult the GVAA rate guide and audition on ACX or with personal connections as they're way too much work to waste your time dealing with the risk of a lowballed job.

Twitter and general networking tend to be fairly effective for me, and oftentimes other talent/directors keep a pool of talent who they trust and send out auditions to. Out of curiosity, SwitchbladeKult, what market are you in?