Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Interesting thread....

I've been a radio DJ and stage actor, but recently I've been narrating a bunch of youtube videos which have quite a few positive comments about my narration work.

(example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0M7jkv3xkQ )

My voice is.... solid. I have a soft Scottish accent that has been diluted by living in California for a decade. I can approximate about a dozen distinct regional british and irish accents and have a decent tonal range to distinguish characters. I'm also known within our school for my performances at storytime, providing distinct characterizations for the myriad of characters in Harry Potter or LOTR. (this gets funny when I don't read far enough ahead and get confused with who's saying what).

Honestly, right now I'm just looking at this as an amusing hobby, but I've had enough positive feedback that maybe there's something there that'll supplement the day job. (beyond the $30 a month I get from youtube).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

Quick kinda-outta-topic question: all your more popular videos are mostly footage of EVE; I thought Youtube didn't allow monetization of anything that's not 100% original content. Did it just slip by them or am I thinking it's way stricter than it actually is?

Youtube seem to be pretty lenient about monetization of video game content, they have some guidelines on what's considered fair use, but they specifically say that simply playing a game and recording it without any editing or narration is not monetizable, but instructional guides are a great example of something which is allowed.

I believe that some publishers ask that videos of their games are more restricted, but CCP seem quite happy with my Eve videos (they've even sent me swag packages and feature my work).

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

So I have a trailer project that I'm doing, and I was considering just recording the VO on my own since I have a pretty solid voice, but I'm interested if someone can either outdo me or at the very least maybe I'll find some pointers to make my performance better.

Only thing is this is semi-secret and the script can't go public, so I'm wondering if anyone thinks they can do a VO that starts in the style of a science documentary and ulimately transitions to an 'action packed' trailer - PM me if you get what I'm talking about.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

I might give some of these a go, just because I'm known for blowing up kerbals doesn't mean I can't pretend to be a demi god :)