Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So I did a recording of the IdeaSpy 2.5 radio drama that shows up in Ghost Babel. I'm fairly certain I suck at it so I'm posting it here in case anyone has any pearls of wisdom I could use to improve.

Are the voices distinctive enough? Is the delivery too dry? I always make the delivery too dry. There's also some terrible crackling since this is the first recording I've done on my new computer, and didn't realize that Audacity had reset the mic levels to be overly loud, so it crackles whenever I try to shout.

Any criticism is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thrown my sleep schedule out of whack and am trying to fix it by staying up all night. To keep myself occupied I did a reading of Edgar Allan Poe's classic poem, The Raven. Recording at 3 in the morning I'm naturally tired and trying not to wake up my roommates, so I didn't put the energy into it I wanted to, and I end up stumbling by the end and mispronouncing a bunch of words but, again, 3 in the morning. Enjoy! (also Tindeck cuts out the last word for no reason :confused:)

And since I didn't give proper thanks for the IdeaSpy feedback...

The Joe Man posted:

Things I noticed:

Thanks, man, much appreciated.

1) Fixed, I hope. New computer and all that, had to go into the volume mixer to set the level for the mic. Comes out insanely quiet in Audacity but I can just adjust the gain in there.

2) Thanks for the advice. For IdeaSpy I did at least three takes for each line and choose what I felt was the best out of those three, then spliced them all together. Funnily enough, I thought I was speaking faster than I actually was when I listened to it again. Weird.

3) Ah, no, I can honestly say I don't overpronounce in typical conversations, in fact I have exactly the opposite problem, I mumble a lot. Believe me, if I'm not trying to actively pronounce each word it comes out a garbled mess. You'll probably hear that in The Raven recording I made.

4) Duly noted. Was mostly just making sure you could tell the difference between characters, though if they really sound that terrible then I think I'll redo this with my natural voice instead.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My submission for Captain Fantastic's unnamed nemesis.

My headset mic was picking up my computers fans so I switched to a hand mic, which I can't hold steady for the life of me and only records sound from about 6 milimetres away. Took a half dozen recordings to get one where my voice doesn't disappear suddenly because I had the audacity to tilt my head up.

EDIT: Tindeck didn't like the first upload, replaced.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 7, 2012

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Meow Cadet posted:

Is it ever appropriate to ad-lib or slightly alter a script while recording? I have a video game gig, and the script seems a stiff on paper...

So long as there's a straight take for them to use, go for it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

King Lou posted:

I'm not sure how the Rock Band mics compare to other mics.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Not very well. You seriously have no room to move or your voice is going to disappear, and even when you're dead on perfect you'd not getting very good quality sound. Headset mics are preferable.