Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Name: Tim Burns Effect

Specialties: Announcer voices, various accents, and just about any Nicktoon character from the 90s.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/TimRecordsaVoiceOver (nothing on this yet, but there will be within the week)

IMDb/Portfolio http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4408131/ (I can't believe this exists)

I play Tim in Marble Hornets. GBS thread for it is here.

I've also appeared in several shorts on the Youtube channel TroyHasACamera (I'll post the videos as links so there won't be huge thumbnails in the OP):

Tim Opens a Present

Joseph Touches a Grapefruit

Troy Takes a Trip

Tim Meets a Priest (This one was for one of Troy's classes. Most of the dialogue is from an episode of "The Life and Times of Tim")

Also, since I do lovely Let's Plays on live broadcasts, my personal Youtube channel has more of my normal speaking voice than you'll ever want to hear.

Payment: Paypal will have to do for now, but only if I turn in something worth paying for.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Decided my first upload should be my stab at everybody's favorite techno-babble.

EDIT:

I don't think I'm doing this right.

DOUBLE EDIT:

So I paid for the upgraded account on Tindeck, but my account still hasn't been upgraded and I haven't gotten a response from the site admins. Anybody else have this problem?

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 6, 2012

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

I can't really critique either of these but then again, I don't know if you want advice or not. Your production skills are pretty good though!

So does that mean they're terrible, or...?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Tonight I livestreamed myself reading Zach Parsons' book "Your Next-Door Neighbor is a Dragon." Unfortunately I didn't have access to the good microphone I used for the stuff on Tindeck (the guy I borrowed it from is out of town), but considering it was essentially a first-take cold read (I've only read the book once before) it could have been a lot worse.

Part 1
Part 2

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CuddleChunks posted:

I want to punch you for 2 minutes and 26 seconds. In the future, please edit down your presentation to the parts you want us to hear.

Your reading is okay but doesn't hold my attention for very long. Try slowing down until.... it.... feels......... like......... you are putting a ton of space in between every word. Since people can't see your face to get some hints from your lips and expression, you have to put longer spaces between words and phrases for them to be comprehensible. Further, if you don't vary your pitch during reading it will put the listener to sleep.

Think about your favorite book-on-tape. If you don't have one, go get some and listen to the pros at work. I highly recommend Grant Naylor, "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers" as read by Chris Barrie. He's got an uncanny knack for mimicking the rest of the cast and does a great read of some very funny material.

Cold reading a text also doesn't show off your best work since you haven't had a chance to plan things out. Soulex has great advice on how to mark up a text so that you can plan your breathing and emphasis. Then again, I like to make little books-on-tape for friends and I cold read the poo poo out of those texts.

OH! By the way, I didn't think it was a bad read, and I was half-listening along while typing up this post. Don't get discouraged by the comments.

As far as that intro goes, I gladly would have cut it down, but since I was livestreaming it and Ustream is just "Hit record, save it when you're done", I couldn't really do that. Oh well.

Thanks for all the advice, CuddleChunks and The Joe Man! I was doing this for practice anyway, so any and all advice is appreciated.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CuddleChunks posted:

Behold! My ultimate creation! This product of my pure genius will finally rid me of that meddlesome do-gooder Captain Fantastic. Oh yes, and with him out of the picture then the lovely Elaine will have no choice but to fall madly in love with me. Look at how the machine glistens and hums with the sound of trapped power. Mine! The power is all mine and I choose to use it to end Captain Fantastic. Ho ho ho, oh yes, today will be a day of reckoning for it is on this very day just ten years ago that I first met that blasted paragon of virtue and Elaine fell into his muscly arms. But not this time, oh no, this time it will be different. I have the machine and soon I will have Elaine. Muahahahah!

I recorded this with two different character voices. This is the first one.

Overproduced as usual, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Did a live-streamed Let's Read of the classic terrible fantasy story "The Eye of Argon". It was pre-recorded, but since it was going to be streamed I did minimal editing because the spontaneity is what makes the streams fun (I ended up losing it completely about halfway through). I also did a way over-dramatic reading of the also-terrible poem "The Tay Bridge Disaster" by William McGonagall near the end.

http://www.ustream.tv/embed/recorded/23300130

e: It starts off in my normal voice and gradually devolves into a Brad-Neely-doing-Wizard-People-Dear-Reader voice.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 19, 2012