Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Urgh. Brace yourselves, this is one hell of a boring story.

I am taking up the creation of Audiobooks as a hobby. Because it's really the only way to force me to practice in my constant lethargy in getting a goddamned job in this economy. I live in New Zealand, where the job market in the business sector died so far as entry-levels are concerned, with every Accounts Assistant job having up to 500 applicants and a short list of 80.

I wish I was joking.

This made me think of other career options - I had two things going for me, a fantastic voice with an accent nobody can place and a clever brain. People pressured me into getting into Radio or doing documentaries, and for a short period over last year I started taking lessons from Mike Drew of the BBC. Good man, seems to have it in for Tony Jay, no idea why. Also never seems to have heard of Jim Cummings. Does great documentaries, though, and voiced this old three musketeers thing.

Anyway, I was still clever enough to realise that I wasn't going to get work as a VA or a host. Not only do radiohosts get poo poo pay here, but the tuition to get official 'You won't gently caress up on air' credentials is aprox $10,000 over two semesters. gently caress that noise.

So I decided to take up VA as a hobby - Maybe do a few cartoons and games here so my little brothers can say 'Naba voiced *insert side character/extra here* in *indie title X*' and maybe get a few bucks on the side. I check out a couple of spots to get some exposure (Nothing domestic exists) and ended up at a spot called ACX.com; I do a slight ripoff by doing my best impression of Sindri Myr's 'All power is sacrifice' speech and leave that as an example while I went to chase some other stuff.

I'd drat well forgotten about it until I get two offers in the same day. The second was actually a well written novel about two brothers in Victorian England, with homosexual overtones. The first...

... Is dross less than what I would consider well written. In fact, I'm pretty sure the author knows it's shite somewhat less than editted too, because he didn't send me the script to inspect before I'd accepted his offer, instead directing me to this amazon review of the published book which held... two reviews. This had warning bells go off, but hey, it's exposure and a history. All good actors have bad movies, right?

It's this first story I want to talk about. The characters aren't interesting (Either being a Gary Stu, a grey love interest or a walking stereotype based on race and sexuality), the story is contrived and ARGH. I've agreed to finish it and upload it before the 31st, but for the love of god I don't really know if I want to finish this and have it stain me.

Does anyone else have bad experiences with terrible material that they could share? I wanna put this into perspective.

e: I decided to get into English Teaching as a career. What? I have good enunciation.

e e: Also I received the goddamn script three months ago and I'm polishing it off now because uuuuuugh it's horrible and I'd just bought Skyrim.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

^

All you have to do is sound like Steve Blum and you can replace him. Seriously, the only voice Steve Blum does is Steve Blum.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Gave it a shot.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

What is it about old cartoon openings that make me wanna speak at things?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I do most of my voicework lying down. Once you get the breathing trick down, it's actually quite effective.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Gimme some poo poo to do, lads. Next Audiobook for the Blind Foundation ain't gonna be ratified for another two weeks.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Definitely. I could use a little practice with my narration.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

If I done butted up, lemme know.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

So, I've been looking around for voice workshop kinda stuff in the UK for a while now (didn't know this thread existed until fairly recently) and it seems that they all boil down to one question: "do you live in, or reasonably close to, London?" That's a good 200 or so miles from where I live right now, so I get the impression that on that front I'm basically hosed. Is there anyone else in the UK that isn't in London who can confirm/deny this?

I've worked with Mike Drew and it's pretty much as you say. London is the L.A of Britain, what with the BBC parking its rear end right there.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The Snowball mic is p good, from my experience.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh god, I got swamped with gay erotica titles until I just decided to cut my ends and leave ACX.

I've nothing against voicing it, but it's either badly written or I'm requested to do it with the voice of Michael Jackson. You've heard my clips. This is impossible.

Plus, I didn't wanna be pigeon-holed.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Perhaps he just wants good english with a slight Asian twang, like this particular instance, which isn't stereotypical and sounds quite nice.

Otherwise, if it's a space station scientist you're doing, there's no way You can't do this

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

ACX is okay if you wanna practice. I personally bailed out of it due to A) Not being American and thus unable to grab cash B) Constantly being asked to read homosexual erotica.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You want to be a voice actor? Yes.

Can you voice act? Probably.

Can you be a good voice actor? Heh.

You want to voice on My Little Pony? You need professional help, not a facebook column.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I would've loved to work on that myself, personally. Freespace 2 was loving amazing and it deserves better than rusting away while Interplay fucks itself.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm afraid I don't really fit for anything you're asking to the point of nailing it. Especially if you believe you're well sorted for male roles.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

A fair thing to note is that you can always land small gigs here on SA. I've done voicework for mods, kickstarter narrations, LPs and such. Be a good goon and do it for peanuts if you're into it for a hobby.

It's good exposure work, and most goons are happy to at least stop their accountant complaining by gifting you a game or two via steam as payment.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

Still here! Had a fair bit going on to distract me lately. I'm still totally willing to edit a project down and help organize but we do need a script. I'd love to do an original story but I'm really not all the strong a writer/adapter.

But if we can nail down a script for say a half hour finished audio piece I can handle the editing.

Count me considering to lend support, if needed.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

CaptainYesterday posted:

Dan Green once did hentai. He told a woman to cluck like a chicken. True story.

That mention coupled with your avatar raises unfortunate questions.

Also gently caress, now I remember that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Naturally deep, booming and sinister is my specialty, lad. Count me in.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I should do method acting more often

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

PRINCES

Lord Khornil

"So, you are the explorer from beyond the Great Sea? I was not previously aware that there were lands and kingdoms on the other side of the world. Why did the Lords of Xulima hide these works of theirs from us?"

Lord Darthenos

"So, you are the man who murdered my brothers?"

Lord Ovengel

"I SEE YOU! HAHAHA HOW DARE YOU APPROACH MY DOMAINS, YOU WILL FEEL YOUR BONES BURN! HAHAHA"

HERALDS

"Your soul is strong… it would please the Guardian if you were to jump into the Well…"

"… The new order approaches..."

"HAHAHAHA, you dare challenge me? You? A soul who is bound to a mission that carries it into the abyss? HAHAHA!"

TITANS

"What is a mortal doing in the dominion of a Titan?"

"What kind of creature dares the flames to find me?"

Given these a shot.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 17, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I may have started down a horrible path from which there is no return.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Hot bonkin'.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Good stuff.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, it looks like my job will be seeing some downtime soon, certainly wouldn't mind doing some more rounds of VA.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Thought I'd give you guys a heads-up, the developers of the XCOM Long War mod are now in the active recruitment stage and they're looking for female voice actors able to give of the impression of Commonwealth soldiers. This includes Australians.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

http://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/2il5pm/lw_call_for_voice_actors/

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Sounds good. Count me in.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Sweet pickin', Joe.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Rockin', dude. Hope you enjoy your otaku fanboys dribbling on your shoes! :argh:

I kid, nice job.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Choose to do erotica audiobooks if the idea of constantly voicing generic homosexual self-insert fiction appeals to you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

... and who, exactly, is our dear goon voicing in all of this?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

blinkeve1826 posted:

Gotta make this quick as I'm swamped with this, BUT I'm casting an awesommmmmme video game and you are all invited to audition for it!

Details are all here: http://www.listentomelanie.com/casting/norsenoir/

The only thing you should change is preceding the subject line of your email submission with SA USERNAME SAUSERNAME (yes, in all caps--i.e. SA USERNAME BLINKEVE1826) so I know where you're coming from and your submission doesn't get overlooked.

Good luck, goons!

Ta muchly.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Can't do a Norse accent without sounding like a Skyrim ripoff. Tried anyway!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I used to feel the same way, honestly. I'd compare, say, Hedy Burgess to Kath Soucie, and Yuri Lowethal to Jim Cummings or Tony Jay. I'd concluded that VA standards had dropped considerably from the mid-nineties onwards.

Then it occurred to me that the VAs might not have actually dropped in skill, but the standard of writing and the freedom of expression and improvisation they once had has fallen. You might be a fantastic actor, but a lovely script and a shittier director might have you sounding like Dan Green when he's banging anime waifus.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You would think that with the advent of CGI and digital animation that we'd see a new wave of decent writing (And paid work!)

Sadly, it ain't so.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

'Allo lads, I'd like to talk a little hardware.

I've got a Blue brand Snowball mic, by and large this (and a little tweaking in audacity) serves me well enough, but I've been thinking about investing in a Voicecube to improve the quality of my recordings.

Is it worth the odd two-hundred it'll cost me? Will there be a significant improvement in quality? I can't exactly remodel any part of my apartment into a studio, so I have to make do with more compact measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

How come all the big/decent studios are in another country? :mad: