Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Hey folks - since I have a shitload of time on my hands right now, I thought I'd start exploring voice acting a little more seriously. I've recorded a handful of things (mostly for work - I work in a media production house, so I've got one foot in the door already) and would love to start getting my foot in the door as a way to make a little extra money. A recent example is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bphhn2vBPXY (I actually don't like this read very much but we were significantly under the gun.)

My question - how much/what kind of legwork should I expect from a V/O producer, and what's a decent vs. a ripoff price for their services? There's a company nearby that will provide scripts, script edits, three coaching sessions, and final edits and consultation for $1,200, which seems like a good enough deal. I am also a terrible judge of this sorta thing, and should probably shop around a little more. I just want to get a baseline idea of what I might be looking at.

Tia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

AccountSupervisor posted:

Hey! Would you be interested in a gig for corporate VO work for Johnson and Johnson? I'm a producer/editor for J&J and I'm currently casting for a short 1.5-2min HR video to be circulated internally indefinitely. You're exactly what I'm looking for and would love to have a goon on this.

Shoot me a PM or email me at mikemartinez @ insideideas dot agency

Any others are welcome to send me a message/email with relevant demos, casting women only right now. Thanks!

Sent you an email! If you didn't see something I might not have typed out your address correctly, hopefully I did.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

The Joe Man posted:

See everyone? The system works! :peanut:

I wouldn't pay $1200 for services I could do myself. Not sure what good scripts would be when you'll be reading someone else's copy (who are also in charge of their own edits), "coaching sessions" are usually bullshit because every job you do is different and general coaching doesn't really apply unless you're horrible (you're not), and then editing/mastering the audio files is something you should absolutely learn to do yourself (or the client has their producers handle it themselves).

I'd save the $1,200 and reinvest part of it into some decent audio editing software. I still use what I originally learned on back in radio (Adobe Audition), but I'm sure other goons have good (and more up to date) suggestions as well.

This is good info, thank you - after typing up my post and chewing on it a little I was wondering if that wasn't a bad investment.

Especially since I'm getting auditions from these dead forums - best :10bux: I ever spent!

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

Hey y’all - so I’ve got a few recordings under my belt now and feel confident about the equipment and software I want to invest in.

I guess I’m a little stuck about next steps, however - should I make a reel? Is it all right to have music under my examples, or should I try to avoid that? Is getting representation worth it (I live in a pretty big market) or is going it alone better?