Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
Congratulations Lou!

Without going too deep into things, I've recently decided to up my overall quality when it comes to my v/o tech, including my first XLR mic, soundboard, laptop, audio program and build either a PVC or full booth in my home.

I've used the Blue Yeti and, I'm not sure if anyone else has had a similar problem, but each Blue Yeti would short out between a few months and a year. I've been through 3 mics before I decided that I need to get something that would last longer than a year. After a lengthy hiatus due to a new 9 to 5 job and a nagging cough due to what I recently learned were seasonal allergies, I'm finally making my way to return to building up my professional voice acting career.

Right now, due to a lack of equipment, I have nothing to record with. But I'm looking to change that with the big upgrade I have planned.

Until then, I'd like to leave a link to some of my earlier work. A commercial and character reel that I had recorded professionally.
https://soundcloud.com/david-lanzafame

Glad to be here and it's great to be among so many working voice actors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I'm making a reinvestment into my voice acting career by building a booth for myself. Talking to a discord server, I was able to pull together a list of high-end equipment. Here is what I plan to purchase and what I plan to do. I could always use some advice when it comes to stuff like this.

Microphones: Either the AT4040 Cardioid Condenser Mic the Warm Audio WA-47Jr Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone or RODE NT1.

For an adapter, I was suggested the Sweetwater Audient iD4.

Finally, I plan to build a booth using pvc pipe and sound-damening blankets.

I'm not sure if anyone has had experience with any equipment, but I'm open to any thoughts. In addition, how does the "pvc/sound blanket" set up sound to everyone as well?

Finally, I think it would be an excellent idea to retrain myself with some workshops or classes, as well as get a new demo put together. blinkeve1826, don't be surprised if I sign up for one of your classes.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I built a PVC blanket booth and it works pretty well for me. I also hung foam on the inside in front of the blankets as well as built a roof out of foam and cardboard.

That's good to hear. Building a full-on booth sounds expensive and cumbersome, so this sounds like a solid workaround. Thank you.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

blinkeve1826 posted:

Why haven't we thought to do this before? This would be really fun!

I'm afraid I'm not who you think I am as I don't live near the Manhattan area. However, thank you for the equipment suggestion. I'd also be very interested in a goon-exclusive workshop.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

King Lou posted:

So the first audiobook I did for Manning is up on Audible and on the Manning site. You can experience the listen and following along sample chapter at this link.

https://livebook.manning.com/book/learn-windows-powershell-in-a-month-of-lunches-third-edition/chapter-1/

This is the only book where I did the majority of the book. On some of the other books, I read the appendix or the last few chapters. It was a good experience. I hope they get a decent amount of miles out if it.

This is really good, Lou. Congratulations! I hope this leads to more narration opportunities because you've got a nice easy yet energetic narration delivery.

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I've made my order for new VO equipment!

My new mic is an Audio-Technica AT2035 XLR, with an added XLR cable for extra length.
My preamp, by suggestion, is the Solid State Logic SSL2 USB Audio Interface.

I'm already set for headphone, a pop filter, and recording program (Reaper). By next week, I should be set up once more to return to voice over work. Wish me luck!

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

Looking nice! I just took my measurements for my booth so I need to get my supplies and start building.

Question: I have a the mic, computer, pre-amp set up. What would an aux monitor do?

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

So I'm currently looking to voice coaching as my next major step toward a voice over career. If possible, does anyone have any recommendations that have helped them out? Right now, the three top coaches I've heard of are:

1. Dave Walsh - Commercial Voiceover Coach

2. Dave Bisson - Commercial and Character Voiceover Coach

3. June Yoon - Character Voiceover

I'm just looking for a solid place to start for myself. I'm more interested in character voice acting, but I've come to also see how commercial voice over can really help pay the bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

Binowru posted:

blinkeve1826 in this very thread is a VO coach and offers classes. I even took her class and it was great!

Right, I remember! Where can I get her information? If possible I'd love to look at her rates and see if she can do online coaching.