Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Name: topenga

Specialties: Female. Ethnic female? Nothing really.

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/topenga

Payment: Paypal

I haven't done this before, but whenever I see these threads I get excited.

So here's my shot at Summerset Hills. It sounded so much better in my head.

New Years Rockin' Eve Horror:

topenga fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Leofish posted:

Topenga, Jennifer Andrea
All right, this is going to be harsh, but did you even listen to this before you uploaded it?

Maybe all you have is that tinny, tiny headset mic, so try to move it away from your mouth a bit more. You be poppin’ more than my lip gloss (and my lip gloss be poppin’!)

I can’t really comment on the read until your mic problems are fixed. It’ll take a lot of practice to find the right place. Record, listen, move your mic and repeat. Repeat until you can get a cleaner sound. I think your pops are mostly due to poor mic placement and just a poor mic in general.

Since you've never done this before, there may be some bad habits that could form if you're not careful. Plosives are a pain for a lot of newbies. To give you an idea of what's hitting the mic, hold your palm up in front of your mouth, about as far away as your mic would be, and say "please be polite" in the voice you'd use to record. You'll feel the air on your palm. That's what causes the pops.

Take a script with a lot of P's in it. Peter Piper Picked a Pack of Pickled Peppers, type of thing. Practice that, have headphones on and the volume turned up to the point where you can hear yourself. Keep at it until you know how to eliminate pops. Still say the P sound, don't fall into the trap of substituting it with another consonant. Find a method that works for you and the mic you have, since everyone is different.

If you're serious, you'll need to get a better mic at some point. I'm not a hardware guy, but some people in this thread have posted some good stuff.

Not harsh at all. I was using a Blue Snowball mic so I would hope that's not crappy. One thing I need to seriously work on is being able to listen to myself recorded. It's cringe inducing to me. But hey, gotta get over it if I want to get better. Lots of stuff to change up, so thanks.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

The Joe Man posted:

Fix your mic problems, because I'd like to see you keep doing requests. You have potential, and can put emotion into your voice without being over the top.

As a guess, I think you might be too close to the mic. A Snowball's not the best, but it shouldn't sound like that. Do you have a stand for it or what is it sitting on?

It's on a stand (came with a tripod) but I was holding it because I didn't think it was picking up properly. I'll definitely work on it.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
What I changed:
-Used my desktop instead of a laptop. Marginally better sound capabilities?
-Mic on the desk, not one inch from my face.
-Tweaked Audacity

NYE Horror:

Summerset Hills:

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
It is amazing how my mood improves when I work from home.

So, in the "old stock in stores" thread, genesplicer mentioned finding a can of commodity (government) crushed peanuts. dinozombiesgoRARR made a pretty sweet reply and here is my audio rendition of it. If I sound a little stuffy it's because I am. loving central Texas weather.