Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I am a voice acting wanna be. I will work up my nerve to post some audio. Until then, some tidbits:

I've been reading "There's Money Where Your Mouth Is" by Elaine Clark. Go ahead, make your dumb jokes, I'll wait.

Ms. Clark runs a school called Voice One in San Francisco, and I've taken a few introductory classes there. The book is in its third edition and I give it a hearty recommendation for anyone looking to get into the business. The school is very good, as Ms. Clark has a degree in education, plus many years of voice acting experience to perfect the curriculum with.

For those looking to tame their room acoustics, I've found no better source for acoustic foam items than broadcast supplier Markertek.com. They have large sheets of egg-crate foam, blade tiles, and bass traps, at good prices. Why is this cheaper than the other stuff? The other stuff has a better fire rating.

Be aware that foam tames sound reflections in a room, and does not do any soundproofing. Search Markertek for 'Markerfoam' 'Markertraps', and 'blade tiles' for the cheap stuff. Read up on room acoustics and 'acoustic room treatment' a bit to learn how to properly use it. You don't need to cover the walls, floor, and ceiling, just spend some time moving foam, recording, listening, and experiment.

I've bought one nice mic, a tube mic that requires its own little power supply. I'm told tube mics warm up the sound in a nice way, and it seems to do that. It's a Groove Tubes AM62, but it was bought before the explosion of cheap, decent mics that are available today. I also have 'The poo poo Mics' - a vintage Radio Shack 'Highball', a generic karaoke mic, and some generic cheap pieces of crap. They're for novelty value or special effects. My next one will probably be an Audio Technica AT2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU