Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Voice acting is neat stuff. I've had the good fortune to get to DJ during college and that was a ton of fun. After school I've built a little setup so I can keep doing silly voices and making audio spots and whatnot.

Name: Cuddlechunks

Specialties: Exasperated, crazed male tenor voice. Sing-song storytime voice for kids, raspy redneck trucker voice.

Tindeck: See below.

Contact: You can reach me at my username@gmail.com or through PM's on this site.

Samples of my silliness (hosted on Tindeck):

Little Bunny Foo Foo the Traitor - This is a children's story of my own composition. It features the sing-song voice and the scary trucker.

How to Talk Like a Girl - why pay for expensive pitch-shifting software when you can just reach down and do it yourself!

HP Lovecraft - The Lurking Fear - Chapter 1 - Part 1 of 4 of my read-through of a Lovecraft story. This has some background music and minor vocal processing (reverb). I read this and a couple other stories for a Lovecraft thread we had a few years ago.

E/N Summary - Wall of Text - I summarize any number of threads in the E/N subforum. Strident tone to start, high-pitched mockery at the end.

How to Talk to Girls - one of our fellow goons was having trouble expressing himself to the fairer sex. Here is a heavily processed take on how to talk to the ladies. Fun fact - no script was used in the creation of this nonsense.

I've used a mix of microphones and recording software to produce these. I'm trying to step up my game and get cleaner sound so I've picked up a new mic, audio hardware and will be constructing a collapsible recording booth to see if I can get a better initial sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Joe Man - thanks for making this thread and taking time to give critiques. I recorded the Summerset Hills text and would like some feedback.

Polish posted:

Notes: Sound excited, this is to announce a kids birthday, be loud and clear so you can be heard via loudspeakers in the hockey rink
:3: I miss the cool birthday parties at the local arcade / skating rink. Coming up next - it's an all skate!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

ChaosTheory posted:

Another famous script for VO challenges: "The Retro Encabulator" This script was soley designed to make fun of technobabble. I encourage everyone to give it a try as it is good practice for words you can't read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

Sadly, that script sounds a lot like what I say at work most days. Computers are basically bullshit technobabble.

I wanted to have some fun with the script so there are three different voices used. Enjoy!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Camo Guitar posted:

Hey guys and girls - If anyone's looking for practice, here's a promo script you can sink your teeth into for something/our next 'cost us nothing' stunt we've got coming up in a week or two:
College radio is the best. I had a lot of fun working at my local station. Hope you're enjoying yourself too!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Meow Cadet posted:

This Saturday I have a voice audition for a small local video game producer. They sent me a casting list, and a few sides to look over. Any tips?

Speak a little slower than you're used to so that your words are distinct. Have fun and an upbeat attitude, doing voicework should be loads of fun for you. Smile often, this will brighten your sound. Try not to move around too much from wherever they have you facing the mic, it will keep the studio engineer from pulling out their hair.

Most importantly, have fun! WOOO! Voiceovers!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Meow Cadet posted:

Should I memorize these lines since I have them in advance? Or is it best to just semi-cold read them?
If you have them ahead of time you can look them over, figure out the context of the scene and then make notes to yourself what kind of emotional intensity you want to bring to each line. It also saves you from putting in odd emPHASis on SOme of THE woRDS because you haven't read the senTENCE before. You'll sound smooth as hell if you have read the copy several times and made whatever little notes you need.

Meow Cadet posted:

'Back in the day' I would do a bunch of goofy vocal warm-up exercises before a performance. These vocal warm-ups often integrated body warm-ups as well. Do you VO people do that too? Anyone have a link to some more modern exercises?
Your voice is your instrument. Tune it up before you perform. You may want to save the really obnoxious high-low or low-high do-re-mi stuff for your car. Also lots of "yawns" and other seriously loud stupid poo poo are really really great in your car, far away from prying ears. Then you can show up, clear your throat, get some water and be ready to work.

Meow Cadet posted:

Also, I've never really used a microphone before. (Except for one terrible VO video game audition in 1992) Do I put myself right on top of the mic? Or away from it a few inches? Or any tips?
Ask the person recording how they want you to interact with the mic. There are different mics out there that will determine how far away you are. It's super easy for you, you just ask.

Keep yourself squarely facing the mic so that as you read the copy you don't duck your head into your chest or turn away to the side. Hopefully they have a hanging mic or one that's in a comfy position so you can easily read the copy without having to do too many gymnastics.

Have a great time!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Camo Guitar posted:

Actually we're a commercial radio station in a provincial gold mining town ;)

And your read was quite awesome - clear and concise with plenty of fun.

:dance: Thank you very much! Hahah I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Woah, just looked up your station. I'm grinning even bigger now imagining how jarring my voice is going to sound to your audience. Hahah, outstanding!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Ahahahahahaha it's even more wonderful than I could have hoped for. I hope your garage sale goes well! (on 91.9, Star FM)

For everyone that's done the Retroencabulator script, check out the gold standard for that horrendous bit of doggerel. This guy is *smooth* and he sells all that bullshit terminology in one glorious flow of technobabble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIS5n9Oyzsc

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 8, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Roberto_Silencio posted:

I know there's a lot of things wrong with it, a crappy mic for starters and being that it's after midnight, I had to be a bit quieter than I'd have liked so I didn't wake the neighbors and slight pacing problem, but since there's this thread, here we go.

Hahah nice text to read from. You have a good beginning and the background music fits nicely. You already know your microphone doesn't sound very good and that hurts the quality of the piece. It also sounds like you're too close or the levels are too hot and so the pops are really prominent and the peak levels sound like they are clipping. A new mic would fix some of that, sitting back a bit when recording and having a pop guard would fix the rest.

The pacing of the piece made it harder to understand the emotion behind several of the lines. It's okay to take a little longer to say words. Something I've observed from listening to a *ton* of old time radio and audio books is that the reader is actually.....speaking.....each.....word....at...a...much.....slower....pace....than....you....think.

It takes your brain a little bit to decode the words and put a sentence together so slowing your delivery down gives people time to catch up with what you are saying.

Listen carefully to Vincent Price read The Raven http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZvwQd-wXw and you can hear each word and the space he gives them. The slower delivery also gives you a chance to wrap your mouth around the words and give some passages more emphasis or to really get dramatic with each syllable of the word.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Yeah, sadly the mic I have right now is a headphone mic

I'm not sure if it's actually clipping or is just a headset mic but try turning the input volume down so that your record levels are a little lower. Set the input slider to half of its current position and re-record a chunk of text. Check it out after recording and see how it actually sounds. Fiddling with the gain may make it work a little better.

For an excellent story try "The Retired Colourman" http://www.archive.org/details/HQSherlockRathboneTCS Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce star as Sherlock Holmes and Watson. They are *pros* for vocal work. Rathbone has severe, clipped tones while Bruce is a mumbly, upper class Brit. Despite his blumph blumph blumph voice, he is usually quite clear for his narration sections.

One thing you can do is pause a section, type up the words they are saying, rewind and then play it through. It should help illustrate how they spend a *lot* more time on each word than you do when reading the text in your head. They demonstrate vocal dynamics (louder and softer sections), emotive reading and other techniques. If you can get anywhere near what they did then you are heading in the right direction. This is from the 40's at the height of radio's popularity. In my opinion, these guys are among the many great radio performers of that age. Rathbone in particular gets to flex his vocal muscles in other episodes when he plays different characters. It's all great stuff.

No matter what, practice practice practice! E/N is a great forum for finding seriously goofy passages to read. If you then use a mocking tone and throw in some effects you can be a real rear end in a top hat. If the OP completely freaks out then you can chalk it up to a job well done. :unsmith:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Name: Mutant Headcrab
So I thought I'd give that Retro-encabulator bit a try.

1. Turn your recording levels down. What I hear happening is as you get louder you are peaking out what the mic can record causing it to clip. This makes many parts of your speech sound fuzzier than they should. It sounds like you're using a cheap mic or a headset or something and that's fine for getting started but learning how to tune your record levels is a critical first step.

2. GRAMMETERS. There is a lot of emphasis put on that particular part, why?

3. Breathing and emphasis within the lines is tricky with this piece. It's a notorious wall of technobabble so this is a good script to take a pencil, read through a section a few times and figure out where you need to breathe. Then, see if you are the end of a line or in the middle of a statement. If you are, you need to figure out where to breathe earlier and *mark your script*. This will show you when to stop after particular passages so that you don't get halfway through a frambulated decrampazoid and <breathe> still need to tell them about the oscillator.

4. Vocal inflection choice. I'd consider this a comic style reading because it sounds like you're going for a 30's or 40's announcer. They often sounded all compressed and shouty because the recording technology just couldn't reproduce the sound for poo poo. Watch a Bugs Bunny cartoon where there is an announcer coming over the radio and you'll hear That Voice. You can simulate it pretty well with some very expensive electronics or by cupping your hands in front of your mouth. Give that a try and see what it sounds like.

The Newsreel Announcer Sound. This is a British newsreel from 1939 and gives you an idea of what those types of announcers sounded like.

The History Eraser Button from Ren and Stimpy. Listen especially to the diction of the announcer and how his overall levels don't change much in his performance. He sounds energetic without shouting.

If you don't mind re-recording that piece, try adjusting your levels and marking up the script so that you know exactly where you want to take a breath. The sentences are meaningless gibberish but they still have to sound like a real life product - that's the purpose of the piece.

Congrats Camo Guitar! Also :argh: you sneaky foreigner, comin' in and takin our jorbs!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Camo Guitar posted:

I'd take your women too but I'm getting married in April so there goes that idea..

Your American accent is way better than mine will be though so you can have all the American accent jobs over here if you like :D

Hahah deal. Congrats on your forthcoming nuptials!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I've done a few shows with a group that performs old radio shows here in Richmond. They're called the On The Air Radio Players.

Woah! A friend of mine sent me the link to your group earlier this year. Unfortunately life stuff got in the way but I am working up some scripts to submit. Hahah, your group sounds like a ton of fun, congrats on being a part of that! I love old time radio stuff. I hope you get some fun scripts this year.

The Joe Man - thank you for that link! I just moved so I'm busy trying to find my recording gear in a sea of boxes. It looks like a fun contest.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Tonight I livestreamed myself reading Zach Parsons' book "Your Next-Door Neighbor is a Dragon."

Part 1

I want to punch you for 2 minutes and 26 seconds. In the future, please edit down your presentation to the parts you want us to hear.

Your reading is okay but doesn't hold my attention for very long. Try slowing down until.... it.... feels......... like......... you are putting a ton of space in between every word. Since people can't see your face to get some hints from your lips and expression, you have to put longer spaces between words and phrases for them to be comprehensible. Further, if you don't vary your pitch during reading it will put the listener to sleep.

Think about your favorite book-on-tape. If you don't have one, go get some and listen to the pros at work. I highly recommend Grant Naylor, "Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers" as read by Chris Barrie. He's got an uncanny knack for mimicking the rest of the cast and does a great read of some very funny material.

Cold reading a text also doesn't show off your best work since you haven't had a chance to plan things out. Soulex has great advice on how to mark up a text so that you can plan your breathing and emphasis. Then again, I like to make little books-on-tape for friends and I cold read the poo poo out of those texts.

OH! By the way, I didn't think it was a bad read, and I was half-listening along while typing up this post. Don't get discouraged by the comments.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 16, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Thank you for all the good advice! I don't have any particular input for you but I don't think your logo looks bad at all. You are a singer and voiceover artist so showing a lady with a mic seems perfectly reasonable. The site layout isn't too garish though the profusion of typefaces on the services page bugs my inner designer.

SatansBuddy - You wrote:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I did a reading of Edgar Allan Poe's classic poem, The Raven. Recording at 3 in the morning I'm naturally tired and trying not to wake up my roommates, so I didn't put the energy into it I wanted to, and I end up stumbling by the end and mispronouncing a bunch of words but, again, 3 in the morning. Enjoy! (also Tindeck cuts out the last word for no reason :confused:)

What do you expect the reaction to this piece will be? You have told us that it's a throwaway piece you recorded while extremely tired with roommates lurking at the edges and no energy available for the part. Here's my honest reaction, "Is English your first language? What is this garbled poo poo?" That's not helpful but you gave us a turd to listen to rather than something you'd put some effort into. This is a pretty casual thread so please don't stop recording yourself and giving us examples, but don't give us every single sample of recording you've ever made. That's not helpful either.

I've been going to sleep listening to HP Lovecraft stories lately and ran out of the professional stuff I have and am now resorting to listening to my own readings. I cringe a bit at my efforts but it makes me want to record more stories and see if I can improve. I'll warn anyone trying to do this that reading a short story is a *long* undertaking and you may want to break your recording session up into manageable chunks. You'll need to drink loads of water to get through it and take a break here and there to keep your energy up. Keep your microphone paused or otherwise set in a way so that when you sit back down you're at the same relative location so that your parts will match from session to session.

I really like the idea of the Jewish Braille Institute project that blinkeve1826 mentions. That's super cool and I'd love to contribute to it. Too bad I'm all the way on the other end of the continent from NYC. Still, it makes me wonder if there are similar projects in my own town.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Canuck-Errant posted:

So, a little while ago I recorded a thing:

Hahahahh holy crap. I thought you'd found an awesome parody piece to read and was going along with it. No way, that's really a book!

I liked your reading in general but you didn't sell me on the sexiness of the scene. Try varying the speed and pitch you use for several of the sections. Let your voice tell us that hot times are going on. Hahah this is a pretty good text for that because it's so drat ridiculous it's hard not to laugh all the way through.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hey, let's have some fun!

I've recorded a little demo about reading speed and diction. The clearer you are when you read the part, the better. Also, SLOW DOWN! It's amazing how a piece of text will sound much better when you take more pauses and do your utmost not to rush.

Here is the text I wrote for the piece and I'd love to hear other people's take on it. You don't have to do anything other than read it and be totally silly. Try to keep whatever goofy voice you use clear and *slow down*. But that doesn't mean you can't impersonate Cobra Commander or Henry Kissinger. Go nuts!

Some text:
Behold! My ultimate creation! This product of my pure genius will finally rid me of that meddlesome do-gooder Captain Fantastic. Oh yes, and with him out of the picture then the lovely Elaine will have no choice but to fall madly in love with me. Look at how the machine glistens and hums with the sound of trapped power. Mine! The power is all mine and I choose to use it to end Captain Fantastic. Ho ho ho, oh yes, today will be a day of reckoning for it is on this very day just ten years ago that I first met that blasted paragon of virtue and Elaine fell into his muscly arms. But not this time, oh no, this time it will be different. I have the machine and soon I will have Elaine. Muahahahah!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Blamethrower posted:

I'm looking for someone to record a narration for my short doc about the universe.
Neat! I'll definitely submit a reading.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

DirtyDeluxxx posted:

Here's a take on Capt. Fantastic...

Nicely done! I was afraid you were about to pop something as your voice got higher and higher, hahah very nice.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Overproduced as usual, obviously.
Ahahahah wow, this is a fantastic take on the piece. I hope little Heinrich isn't disappointed when his boss's machine doesn't work quite as expected :ohdear:

CaptainYesterday posted:

As someone who's just starting out, what do I do for copies? Is there a good source for things to read?

Go to the top of the page and try your hand at some silly mad scientist blather: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3461287&pagenumber=7#post402975134 If you are link impaired.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

weirdsauce posted:

This is my dilemma- i simply do not know what to say. It's the equivalent of staring at a blank canvas. I want to do samples of my voice but i don't think it's appropriate for me to post my channeling my inner Bill Hicks.

Go back a page or two and grab some sample texts. Here, here's one just for you.

COMIC [Energetic and fast]
Hello? Hello? Is this thing on? Hey ladies and germs, have I got a story to tell you. You see, there's this dame, right? And she's smoking a cigar, alright. She's smoking it and she's driving around in this really beautiful cadillac. I'm talking a real honey, a real looker. Sweet six on the floor, pristine whitewalls, chrome out the wazoo and can she go? Oh brother you better believe it! It's like, it's like if a little piece of Heaven had floated down to Earth, put on four tires and a halo made outta a leather droptop, well you'd be lookin' at this caddy, boy I tell you what. Whew! So, anyway, this dame, see, she's driving and there's like this guy on a motorcycle comin' up behind her. No, wait, I mean, there's this cop comin' up on his motorcycle behind her. And she's drivin' and smokin' and he's comin' up and tellin' her to pull over and she ain't havin' none of that so she starts to hit the gas and boy oh boy does that sweet caddy pick up its skirts and flies! It's like getting a screwloose zootjuice on a triple barrel hemiway. Whew! Mmmhmm! So she just takes off like the proverbial bat outta H-E-double-hockeysticks and this guy he's trying like crazy to catch up but he can't because c'mon, I mean just c'mon! You think some two-bit cop is gonna catch up with a American orignal like that? Anwyay, long story short, turns out she's a lousy driver on account of she's a dame and all. Thank you and have a good night.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

invision posted:

Me reading posts from GD_American in GiP.

Hahah this needs a hearty YEEE-HAW thrown in at the end because wooo doggies you done channeled some good ol' boys in this hyeah readin'.

What's the banjo piece?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Here's a take on that nonsense I typed up above:

Read read read! Record record record!

Play it for friends, play it for yourself, just keep practicing and learning and listening. Wooo!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

titties posted:

Out of everything, I managed to get one 7-second clip that wasn’t completely embarrassing.

It's hard to tell in seven seconds, go record something longer. Read a children's book or an article from the Weekly World News or some other silliness. Your voice sounds interesting so go and put it to work. The other folks here will be happy to give you tips but I'm going to encourage everyone here to just practice practice practice and record more stuff and never ever stop trying.

Even if you never land a job you can still have a lot of fun making goofy recordings of yourself. Best of all, if you go back and read through this thread there are a ton of tips on how to make really nice recordings. My last few have been really bad because I switched to my cheapass headset mic instead of the much nicer setup I was using before. The difference is night and day.

I'm getting tired of the laziness with that setup and will move back to my better gear shortly because I want to record some more Lovecraft audiobooks. They're fun to fall asleep to and full of mouthbending archaic words and nonsense. How the hell are you supposed to pronounce R'lyeh anyway?

What I want to convey is that there's a wide range of talent in this thread and what I think you'll find with everyone who is working commercially is that they have recorded themselves hundreds or thousands of times. They keep recording and listening and trying to improve. Maybe your voice doesn't immediately get you jobs but if you can put together a really clean recording, have good habits with how you record yourself you are going to sound night and day different from someone with a head full of dreams and a laptop mic.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Robersdee posted:

hey guys, just saw this thread. I actually do VO's for a living here in the uk.
I made a little video for ya
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwLYngw2-Y

:dance: Hahahah this is wonderful. Your La Fontaine is spot on!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

Should I be aiming for more variety (one "straight sell", one wildly enthusiastic, one "real person", one bright and perky, etc.) or just doing what will highlight what I do best?

I think that your demo should highlight the spots where you feel you sound the best. I don't work commercially so I will just say that as a spectator if you're going to show off a cut choose between the final version with a music bed or do it dry. That's because I'll hire your voice and do all the beds and mixdown myself so it doesn't help me to have you fiddle around with that stuff yourself. I just need a nice clean recording to work with.

On the other hand, if you are providing full-service VO work, i.e. give me your copy and I'll turn it into a *powerhouse* of royalty-free voice and music, then having some cuts that demonstrate your dry read and final cut would be great.

I don't know the protocol for demos but I'd slap a short bit on the front to introduce the next sections and stick my name in their ear. "Melanie the Marvelous, three commercial cuts. Cut 1 - Toothpaste." <run toothpaste spot> "Cut 2 - Milk." <milk spot> That way the demo can be downloaded and always has your name jammed in there as it introduces each cut. It only adds a few seconds onto the running time of the piece which I think would be helpful for making sure the demo is tied to *your* voice. Oh, and the interstitial should be your natural speaking voice for maximum dramatic effect.

I'm an enthusiastic amateur so I hope my comments aren't hopelessly naive. I was a little worried with the "Stephen's Diaries" section in your prior demo but you explained what was up with that. It seemed to just vanish into the background music.

titties - Listen to the mother's day piece. You put emphasis on some of the words in there. Why? By drawing attention to "her vagina" how does that change the meaning of the sentence? Then there's a pause and the rest of the sentence (with a bigass pop). Here is how I would write out what you recorded

"She blasted you out of HER VAGINA... and now it's payback time. And this time it's personal."

Looking at that on the screen it seems odd. If you change the emphasis so that the first sentence has roughly equal weight you might get a reading like this:

"She blasted you out of her vagina' and now it's payback time. And this time... it's personal."

You could also put emphasis on *blasted*. That might make for a clearer meaning. I put a little ' symbol to indicate a short breath. The period is for a full breath, same with the ellipsis only wait a little longer.

Try recording another take of that and see what happens if change where you put the emphasis.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

JossiRossi posted:

If I were producing an Audio Drama (would love to do that with people here if there was interest) this would be usable with a few tweaks and subsequent mixing.
:dance: I'm up for *Drama*.

Torabi posted:

I am capable of doing some varying voices myself but I'd rather refrain from showing anything because a) my microphone is terrible and b) it is rather embarrassing to post after hearing some of you.

Shame is counterproductive. Start recording your voice on whatever equipment you have. Make up characters, put on little dramas, sing, do something. Just talk for a while. Get used to how your microphone sounds and how you sound in it. You don't have to post every little thing you do but sack up and send us something that you want some help with.

Find a neutral script and read for a minute or two. Then share it with us and we'll help you improve the read.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

titties posted:

Heh, indeed. Sorry, I'll dial it back.

No no no, I didn't make myself clear - submit your stuff to the thread. Keep doing that. But as a matter of practice you should record yourself lots and lots. You don't need to sumbit "Me, singing in the shower for twenty minutes" to the thread for a critique. Or, "I cough a lot and say 'umm' in this for eleven minutes" either.

If you have something you want to share, go ahead and do it. If it's just practice material then keep it on your hard drive. Hopefully you'll hear yourself getting better as you practice and practice and take tips from the cool cats in this thread.

Who knows what may happen if you turn on the microphone and let your imagination run wild. You might get something like this.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Did you know H.P. Lovecraft is a wordy fucker who won't shut his drat pen-hole? :mad:

Look man, I just want some tales of the macabre, not an entire thesaurus of "old" or "spooky" thrown in their you archaen antedeluvian cthonic heap of blasphemous monstrosity!

Pro-tip - the two recent BBC productions of his works, "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "At the Mountains of Madness" both are abridged versions. I can't agree more. Abridge the hell out of that guy and you've got some fun reading.

I mention this because making your very own audiobooks is cheap as hell, gives you loads of practice reading long passages and when you're done and have listened to your own books for a while you go completely insane and have to record new ones because oh lord what were you thinking with the last one? It's all in good fun right until you try a cold reading of "The Colour Out of Space" or some other long-winded Lovecraftian drivel. Dude, seriously, shut up and get to the monster parts I don't care about all the boring backstory.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I got a new audio interface for christmas and finally got around to hooking it up. It's bliss. I can finally monitor (and thus multitrack) myself in realtime. Sooooo nice to be able to hear what's going into the microphone as it happens. That's my biggest complaint with USB mics and such - I *have* to hear myself or I don't know what's going on.

This is for fun, as are most of my projects. I like falling asleep to Mr. Lovecrafts SpoOoOOoky tales so I'm building up a personal library of audio versions of some of his shorter stories. The longer stories are a nightmare. hahaha, the dude seriously loves his long words.

I hope you enjoy! Oh, and I have been paying attention to a lot of the tips in this thread so I hope the reading comes across well.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I took a turn at the Goldwater's sale script. Nice bit of text, looks a lot like things you'd run into for paid work.

I've got a new mic and recording setup, I'd like to know how I'm sounding. I ran an EQ on this track to suppress frequencies below 80Hz and am using a noise gate to clean up some background sound the mic is picking up. The recording location isn't ideal but is what I have to work with at the moment. I think there's a little compression on the track too.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hahahh that's awesome.

I love watching voice actors at work. Here's a big bunch of them reading the Star Wars screenplay in different character voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzRmWeC6Ds

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

This made me laugh pretty hard. Should get a script together and have everyone in the thread record it in their best "Watto" from Star Wars impersonation.
:v:
http://notmyshoes.net/monologues/treplev.html or http://www.filmsite.org/bestspeeches3.html Ahahah any of those would be horrifying with the Watto voice.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:dance: Can't wait to give these a try!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Sarcastic_MrFox posted:

Below are the three lines I am in need of.

Here are two separate takes for the three lines.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

blinkeve1826 posted:

Actually, right now I'm not getting work, but that's because I'm newly-minted...:drumroll: SAG-AFTRA member!
Hooray! Congratulations to you! That's an exciting step and you're definitely going to be pleased when you start working union jobs and can accept the pro work that is out there.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

BlueGrot posted:

A friend of mine needs voice acting for his music project.

Neat! Friend has been contacted.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

blinkeve - Does your compressor have a Decay/Release knob? What's that set to?

The attack is how aggressively the compressor will start its magic and can be seen as the left-side of a curve. The decay or release is the right-hand side of the curve and determines how long the compressor fiddles with the sound. The clip you posted sounds fine on the attack to my ears, but it drops to zero volume more rapidly than expected. I believe that if you change the release to higher values (I've got my software compressor set at 250ms right now) you'll hear a more natural sound than what you're getting.

Sorry if this is all completely wrong, I'm self-taught on audio hardware after working for my college radio station.

BlueGrot - thanks again for posting that link, it's a cool as hell project and I just threw my audition your friend's way. Here's hoping they like it. :dance:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

JossiRossi posted:

Hey guys, just sent out an email to you both with more information. I'm still looking for a final male to play the Davis role, small role so could be done quickly. If anyone is interested let me know or just go ahead and do it! Thanks again!

I'm interested!

Edit: Davis lines emailed to you.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 24, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

King Lou posted:

If any of you are going to be watching the League of Legends North American Regional championships tomorrow you have a chance to catch my VO at the very beginning. I'm introducing the event and announcing the shoutcasters. 10 seconds of glory.

That's awesome, congratulations King Lou!

Of course, it's hardly as prestigious as a role in a Half Life 2 mod, but hey, it's a good start. :c00l:

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Thank you for posting. I've got some notes for you and I hope you will keep posting and recording and having fun with this stuff. Please do not get discouraged by one person's opinion.

Skippy Granola posted:

Also I recorded The Raven. Holy crap that hurt, and that was only 8 minutes. This is mainly for fun, even though that was like ten pages back.

Hahahah, welcome to the club my friend. I think we've all tried to record something like this and well, "The Raven" has been done so many times and by such distinct voices that it's hard not to draw comparisons. I didn't hear any general technical problems with the recording, it sounded nice and clear over my speakers.

Now comes opinion time. In my ~*opinion*~ it sounds like you are reading the poem but don't understand the text very well. You're locked into a sing-song voice because of the rhyme scheme of the words and that leaves you with very little dynamic range to your voice. Worse, parts early on that are questions to the reader don't get inflected as such, nor are the ranting sections full of the fire of incipient madness. The raven's response doesn't stand out from your louder passages very well. This is both a timing issue and a vocal inflection issue.

Listen to the voices as they play their different parts. Doing this yourself is difficult, that's why this is a hardass poem to do well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlgQQgDhH7U

Don't have a cast of voice actors at hand? No problem, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zR3IDEHrM

Note how he breaks up the sections into paragraphs and full sentences in spite of the rhyme scheme. Sometimes he runs a couple lines or half a line together - it depends on what the text is actually trying to say. If you compare a section from mid-poem with the start you'll also note that he's louder and faster. This is because he's building dramatic tension as he goes and the energy of the reading is building.

Just for fun, would you try recording "America the Beautiful" in as dramatic and over-the top emotional way you can? Not the whole thing, that would be insane but a couple verses would be fine. Thing is, don't sing it, *emote* it. Let go of any notion of propriety or whatever and just go nuts. Have fun being some bombastic goofus. What you're going for is to express emotion with your voice. In case you don't know all 8 verses, this should help: http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/americathebeautiful.html

PS: Hahahah 8 verses? Has anyone ever dared sung past the first? Only un-American overachievers, that's who! Real patriots get their meaning across in the first verse without all that extra guff. :patriot: