Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
So glad you started this thread, Joe Man. I'm one of those random goons who has started a thread every now and then to read things for people.

Name: Stinkmeister

Specialties: Lots of dialects. I'm particularly proud of my bombastic British gentleman, and old man

Tindeck: http://tindeck.com/users/stinkmeister

Payment: PM or email me and we'll work it out

Along with Triangle Head (and some others), I took part in The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing by Chewbot, playing the narrator. I've also read for a couple of goon projects, but I don't have links for them. My threads in the past have been called "I will say what you tell me to say"

Here's my take on the Summerset commercial:

I wanted to avoid an 'announcery' sound, but in retrospect, I'm not sure the whispery/off voice approach worked so well. I'd love to hear feedback.

I'd also be happy to take a part in Leofish's script. Any part other than Obama.

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosTheory posted:

Another famous script for VO challenges: "The Retro Encabulator" This script was soley designed to make fun of technobabble. I encourage everyone to give it a try as it is good practice for words you can't read.

Phew, it is good practice. Here's a quick shot at it:

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Leofish posted:

Anyone jumping in on The Night the Year Stood Still, feel free to drop the recordings right in this thread here. You can try on multiple parts if you want, I'm not opposed to that. Have some fun with it. Be exciting!

I'll whip it into a nice, big ol' mixdown when all's said and done.

And I'll take a crack at the technobabble script when I get a chance, too!

Here's an attempt at Adam. Again, feedback is awesome.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Adib posted:

Here's my submission for the big news voice. Let me know if I should change it somehow:

Please let me know what you all think! :)

A bit of feedback, take it or leave it. You're doing a nice job of reading it pleasantly, there's nothing here that's painful to listen to, but it's not clear that you're trying to affect the listener in any way. Remember that every commercial is trying to get the listener to do something (e.g. move to Summerset Hills).

You can do this in a lot of ways. For example, you can help them (I know you've been looking for the perfect place to live, I know just the place: Summerset Hills). You can inspire them (come on, you've been talking about moving for months, it's time to get off your butt and move... to Summerset Hills). You can even scare/intimidate them (these houses in Summerset Hills are perfect, but they're not going to be around forever!). Pick a tactic and commit to it. Fully. Way more than you think you have to. You've got an interesting voice, and your speech is good, but put your energy toward affecting the listener, and I think you'll have much better results.

That's just my opinion, though. Take it or leave it.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Leofish posted:

I'm digging this. I like the accent. Your first read is cool and collected, which is important, Adam can't get too involved in the story. The line about people trying to reach Dick Clark: admittedly I didn't proofread this as well as I could have, but different people are attempting different ways to get his attention. Some are using megaphones, some are yelling and some are shouting happy new year. It's a list of things. (I should have used an Oxford Comma!)

You take a breath in an odd place in the second one. Just after Dick Clark but before "to say Happy New Year" which throws me off a bit. The lines are pretty long and Adam is breaking the "one thought per sentence" rule, since everyone is very tense and very tired where he is right now. I liked the way your inflection changed on "the crowd has fallen silent"

For your third one, I really want a sense of relief here. The nightmare is over

Hey, thanks for the notes! I took another shot at it with those in mind, and I think it's an improvement, but I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks:

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

I'm not going to go too in-depth on specifics in this one but it's because the same problems I'm hearing are constant throughout:

drat, you're good. Thanks a ton for the criticism! The s sounds is something I've always struggled with, and I had it pretty under control a while ago (while I was in school), but I haven't been practicing since then and you're absolutely right that it's gotten really bad. Sounds like I've got a date with Edith Skinner and Speak with Distinction.

As for warbliness, I noticed the same thing you did as I was recording, and I think you described it very well. I knew what my intention was, but my voice wasn't coming along for the ride like I expected it to. I haven't had that problem in the past, but I think it's because it's been a long time since I've used my voice with intention, and I hope that as I get back into practice it'll recede.

I'll practice my rear end off and upload another take in a couple days. Thanks again Joe Man, you're awesome.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far! Here's another take at Summerset Hills:

Here's the first one for comparison:

I think it's a vast improvement in technique, although I was experimenting with mic placement, and you can hear the room a lot more in it, which is probably not so good. Still struggling with the 's' sound (drat your safe and secluded streets), but I feel it's coming along. I welcome any critique.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

DaveP posted:

Any effort would be gold at this point, huge thanks! I can get it done early morning the next day but then I'd be pushing in to all-nighter territory, which while possible is not preferable the night before a graded project exhibition

Might be too late, but I'll take a stab at it tonight.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Too late to the party, but here's my shot at Powerthirst anyway:

I've got a question for people who've got more technical experience than me: what's the best way to take care of the kind of muffled quality that recording has? I'm in a very echoey space, using one of these mics: http://www.amazon.com/Nady-SCM-960-Diaphragm-Microphone-Selection/dp/B000R4LQ5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337650627&sr=8-1

I'd love for the vocals to pop more, but I'm not sure what exactly the problem is. Is it making a cleaner space, acoustically? Buying a better mic? Positioning? Something in the way I'm (not) mixing it?

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

JossiRossi posted:

brilliant words

I... I think I love you. Seriously, that's really helpful and gives me somewhere to start when playing with equalization. Next time I'm in Boston, I owe you a beer. Please do continue to write, it's awesome stuff.

I experimented some with distance, and I definitely see how being too close to the mic can amplify the effect and really muddy it up. That's not what's going on in my case, but I definitely see how it can make it worse. You were right that I have the pickup pattern set to cardioid.

Following are a few samples for reference. Just my normal speaking voice, no performance to speak of. Terrible s sounds abound:

Here's one that's too close (1-2 inches)

Here's a recording at a better distance (6-8 inches)

Next, I took your advice and EQ'd it to suppress the 100hz range by about 6dB:

Finally, a little compression:

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sarcastic_MrFox posted:

"Where thousands gathered to mourn the
billions lost."

"The sudden, inexplicable appearance
of the airborne M-Virus."

"Remember that a gas mask at all times is
essential when not in an air-locked
home."

Here's some:

Let me know if you use any of it! Good luck!

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jumped on this. Here are a couple that I submitted. Feedback is welcome of course:

The Joe Man posted:

You have a much better "newscaster voice" than I do. These are great; good job!

Thanks! I've been practicing, and that means a lot!

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 10, 2012

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Modem posted:

I'll give it another week before I hand the audio over to JossiRossi for processing. So if anyone else wants to give it a shot, or knows someone who might, you have 'till next Sunday (the 19th.)

I'm someone else!

Here are a couple takes at it:

The first take, sort of British wizardy. I think this is the strongest:

Then, with a (probably pretty weak) stab at an Irish dialect:

Then in my normal dialect, in case you want to go simple:

Let me know if any of these are interesting or if you want to hear anything else. As always, feedback from anyone is welcome.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

Congratulations Stinkmeister, looks like you made it!

https://www.facebook.com/MalevolenceGame

For anyone else that auditioned, they've listed the new VA's in a recent post.

Thanks! Got in touch with him and I'll have something for him to listen to by Friday night.

Thanks Joe Man. I always love your work, and it looks like we'll be working on Malevolence together! Congrats!

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 17, 2012

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

BlueGrot posted:

A friend of mine needs voice acting for his music project.

I sent them a thing too. Sounds like an awesome project!

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 21, 2012

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Aphasian posted:

Are you going to do the effects edits (over the radio distortion, etc.)? And I'll try to do one tonight, Davis or Kevin. I'll send an email too, to get context and maybe hear your lines.

I'll do whichever of these you don't end up doing. Should be able to get it recorded tonight. Jossi, could you please email or PM me the background info?

[edit] emailed Jossi.

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 24, 2012

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

Posted in the other thread too but did anyone get hired for this?

Or this?

I haven't heard anything about the phone message. I ended up working with Fuzzy Modem on his trailer, but I haven't seen the finished product yet. I think he's still working on it.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'll take a shot at it too. PM me or email at thestinkmeister at hotmail.com.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

invision posted:

Did anyone happen to record those voice tags?

I'll record something tomorrow evening if you're still looking.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
One more:

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

I have time to whip this up tonight if we're quick about it. PM the script with the general tone you'd like (deep/smooth/sexy, salesmanish, gruff/gritty, Macho Man Randy Savage, whatever) and I'll send back a quick spec spot (or the whole thing if it's short enough) and go from there.

I sent a PM, but I'll take a crack at it too. I'd ask for the same sort of direction.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

titties posted:

So interested in this, is it going to happen?

I'm also interested!

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

blinkeve1826 posted:

Also, it looks like we have a goon reader up tomorrow :3: Stinkmeister, check your email (and phone)! We'll have to touch base sometime tomorrow afternoon beforehand to get things set up.

Stoked for it! Thanks for doing this and thanks for the opportunity!

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 7, 2013

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
A huge thank you to blinkeve1826 for holding an informative and inspiring seminar! I strongly recommend that you join one if you get a chance.

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Bravo posted:

:siren: If you want Holiday Voice Work, read this post! :siren:

Emailed you. Thanks!

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I can throw down a few evil dudes!

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Malaver posted:

Hey voice thread! The publishing company I work for is creating some new audio and video products, and we’re looking for voice talent. Our area is IT so you would have to read code, among other stuff. You don't have to be a professional software developer but you need at least some programming experience.

PM me or post here or ozha at manning dot com

Sent you a PM. Thanks for posting here!

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

Lord Khornil

Lord Ovengel

Lord Darthenos

HERALDS

TITANS

Took a shot at each of these and sent you an email! Of course anyone else is welcome to try any of them, not trying to be a ball hog.

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 7, 2014

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Joe Man posted:

:frogsiren: LINES HAVE BEEN SELECTED & FINALIZED/PRODUCED :frogsiren:

That's awesome! Excited to be a part of this. Thanks for the opportunity, Joe Man!

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

blinkeve1826 posted:

Gotta make this quick as I'm swamped with this, BUT I'm casting an awesommmmmme video game and you are all invited to audition for it!

Details are all here: http://www.listentomelanie.com/casting/norsenoir/

The only thing you should change is preceding the subject line of your email submission with SA USERNAME SAUSERNAME (yes, in all caps--i.e. SA USERNAME BLINKEVE1826) so I know where you're coming from and your submission doesn't get overlooked.

Good luck, goons!

Threw my hat into the ring as well. Good luck, everyone!

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

supermikhail posted:

Oh, and finding references has always been a thing, too. :(

If you ever need references for any English dialects, the International Dialects of English Archive (IDEA) is amazing: http://www.dialectsarchive.com/. If you're going for a Southern US dialect, rather than trying to do something broad, I'd encourage you to find a particular sample, or set of samples, that embody the sound you're going for, then work off of those. Specificity is king in so many ways in voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Sent in my audition. Good luck, everyone!