Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Hi, I'm Sulphuric Sundae, and I'm an amateur voice actor.

At one point, a shy 18-year-old me got drafted into doing intercom announcements of specials at my job at a grocery store. So every 30 minutes, every Saturday for like 6 years, I would excitedly tell customers that they could get strawberries for 2 for $4 or Sauer's brand mayo for $1.98. And don't forget to pick up a fresh pecan pie in the bakery today, buy one, get one free! On top of that, I would always volunteer to read aloud in school. Years of that really helped me work on my natural speaking voice. In the days before internet distribution became mainstream, I worked with a local studio on a couple shows for a CD series of original Twilight Zone-ish stories. I don't think the $20 CDs sold well, I didn't get any royalties, the studio dissolved, and I never actually got to listen to the final product.

I've done a few shows with a group that performs old radio shows here in Richmond. They're called the On The Air Radio Players. Like much community theatre, it does not pay. BUT (like other community theatre), it's definitely been good for networking. We have a few people who work on the shows in some capacity or another who also do commercials and some other voice over work in the area. If you have a radio players type dealie in your general vicinity, check 'em out. You should have a blast, get to show off some character voices, and (hopefully) be working with a few knowledgeable people.

I have a little bit more free time and spare dough than I used to, so I'm gonna start shopping for one of the wonderful mics mentioned in this thread. If I manage to make a passable demo in the near future, I will post it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

CuddleChunks posted:

Woah! A friend of mine sent me the link to your group earlier this year. Unfortunately life stuff got in the way but I am working up some scripts to submit. Hahah, your group sounds like a ton of fun, congrats on being a part of that! I love old time radio stuff. I hope you get some fun scripts this year.

Our script contest last year had like 5 submissions or something, and I think they were all from the Richmond area. But I was talking with the board last week, and they told me they got something close to 40 this time. Maybe it's just because the criteria isn't as narrow as it was last year, where the scripts had to be confined to a specific genre.

Next paycheck, I'll buy a mic. But, as I sit in my house in the suburbs, I realize that there's a lot of noise around. People mowing their lawns, birds chirping from the tree near my window, children playing, young fellows trying to impress ladies with their loud, souped up pickup trucks and motorcycles. Should I be using an SM58 or some other dynamic mic like that to help mitigate the outside noise?

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I've been out of this thread for a while, but I'm back! I've mentioned the On The Air Radio Players here in Richmond, VA before, but we're doing auditions again! I will be the production manager for the next show being performed Nov. 13th and 14th. Auditions will be Sep. 30 and Oct. 1. Rehearsals end up being once or twice a week. No pay, but it's fun!