Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

Nice cheerleading.

He is however completely correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CommieGIR posted:

Nice cheerleading.
My position on the company is well known.

And twisting the knife on the haters is fun. Wish I could have bought even more shares before this. My average buy-in was about $315/share, so the
33% profit on this is nice.

Official Tesla blog: https://www.tesla.com/blog/taking-tesla-private?redirect=no

RZA Encryption posted:

Surely there's a stock market thread somewhere.
Also relevant here, since this thread is about EVs and Tesla sells, let me think for a second....EVs.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 7, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

And twisting the knife on the haters is fun. Wish I could have bought even more shares before this. My average buy-in was about $315/share, so the

Official Tesla blog: https://www.tesla.com/blog/taking-tesla-private?redirect=no

Privitizing is not fixing his issues, and this is just an attempt to keep auditors from looking into the ongoing issues.

Take the financial jerkoff session to a Stock thread, and talk cars.

And also: I love Tesla, but that doesn't mean I'm going to swallow every word Musk says like gospel, he's got poo poo to answer for and should be held to a higher standard instead of a GM Standard.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He is however completely correct
Considering their recent track record it's not a claim that can be taken at face value without evidence.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ilkhan posted:

Also relevant here, since this thread is about EVs and Tesla sells, let me think for a second....EVs.

Was your initial post just a way to segue into bragging about your sweet gainz?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Was your initial post just a way to segue into bragging about your sweet gainz?
Nope. Dude calling me out that this is a discussion thread about *cars* when he quoted stuff about *cars* pissed me off.

bawfuls posted:

Considering their recent track record it's not a claim that can be taken at face value without evidence.
VINs: https://twitter.com/Model3VINs/status/1026823568858865665 https://twitter.com/Model3VINs/status/1026452991388266497
Deliveries happen and are reported every day, find your own source.
Owner happiness: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lrtqgqBbN1CX21q1O8oqySgMbcAXVg7GCp4i93G3_Pk/edit#heading=h.7sf6ujs21ptc

El Grillo posted:

How would it work? Presumably Musk or someone else would have to buy out all the other shareholders - but he says he'd preserve current shareholders' stakes, which sounds like taking the company private would require some kind of vote? Obviously there's another mechanism I'm not getting..
There will be a vote, and they'll allocate some percentage of the company as a private fund for existing investors to buy into if they dont want to sell.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 7, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Nope. Dude calling me out that this is a discussion thread about *cars* when he quoted stuff about *cars* pissed me off.

VINs: https://twitter.com/Model3VINs/status/1026823568858865665 https://twitter.com/Model3VINs/status/1026452991388266497
Owner happiness: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lrtqgqBbN1CX21q1O8oqySgMbcAXVg7GCp4i93G3_Pk/edit#heading=h.7sf6ujs21ptc

There will be a vote, and they'll allocate some percentage of the company as a private fund for existing investors to buy into if they dont want to sell.

Vins are not deliveries, vins are "Chassis has entered the assembly line"

Reminder that this is specifically the tactic that was pointed out that they are pumping up production numbers but deliveries have not increased overall.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bawfuls posted:

There is in fact plenty of evidence of the truth of said claims - This isnt C-SPAM where we take some moron with a blog's claims at face value, even the Bloomberg model (which has it's problems) is now pointing to an over 4500/5000 cars per week out the door

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

The idea that Tesla are producing thousands a week and not delivering any is so absurd it's not worth debating. Quite obviously those stockpiled ones to cheat the tax credit system got delivered. So uhhh.... yes ilkan is right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There is in fact plenty of evidence of the truth of said claims - This isnt C-SPAM where we take some moron with a blog's claims at face value, even the Bloomberg model (which has it's problems) is now pointing to an over 4500/5000 cars per week out the door

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

The idea that Tesla are producing thousands a week and not delivering any is so absurd it's not worth debating. Quite obviously those stockpiled ones to cheat the tax credit system got delivered. So uhhh.... yes ilkan is right?

The article points out, however, Tesla is having to draw down its original estimates, so not so absurd to be false.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No one is disputing the VINs you weirdo. It's this claim that's dubious without evidence:

ilkhan posted:

In other news, ... the vast majority of new owners are exceedingly satisfied with their purchase.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

bawfuls posted:

No one is disputing the VINs you weirdo. It's this claim that's dubious without evidence:
How nice of you to quote one part of my reply and not the two lines below it. Let me help.

ilkhan posted:

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

bawfuls posted:

Where are the owner complaints? 99.9% of online Tesla forums / post (that are not twitter short bots or wallstreetbets trash) are full of people gushing about how the Model 3 is the best car they have ever owned. Sandy Munro said he has to eat crow. People with "massive panel gaps" and "lovely paint" still love these cars, they don't care.

Bloomberg (and all other online trackers) confirms 5k+ per week, like it's not something to argue about anymore.

What level of cognitive dissonance do you have to have at this point to say Tesla is anything but a success story? Like really?

And gently caress off with this "Tesla the company succeeding or not is not relevant to the discussion". Just leave the thread. EVs don't exists today without Tesla and I will defend that to the end.

It is definitely time for Tesla owners / cheerleaders to :smug:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ilkhan posted:

How nice of you to quote one part of my reply and not the two lines below it. Let me help.
Cool an owners survey of 186 self-selecting Model 3 enthusiasts who spend time on Model 3 forums. Surely this sample is not biased towards satisfaction with their Teslas!

And even with that biased sample, looks like ~17% reported panel gap issues, 13% report >insignificant paint issues, 20% report loose trim, 17% report squeaking/rattling, etc etc.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 7, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Cool an owners survey of 186 self-selecting Model 3 enthusiasts who spend time on Model 3 forums. Surely this sample is not biased towards satisfaction with their Teslas!
Go find me 186 model 3 owners who hate their Teslas.

I won't wait, I'd die of old age first.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Go find me 186 model 3 owners who hate their Teslas.

I won't wait, I'd die of old age first.
Yeah instead you can find heaps of owners who will tell you a dozen things that were wrong with their car upon delivery "but I still love it!"

edit: according to that owners survey, 55% of Model 3 owners have had at least 1 appointment with Tesla to fix an issue with the car that wasn't their own fault or due to accident, including 20% needing 2+ such appointments. And these are cars that are almost all less than 3 months old.

The point being, Tesla is making cars with an awful lot of defects.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 7, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ilkhan posted:

the vast majority of new owners are exceedingly satisfied with their purchase.

bawfuls posted:

Yeah instead you can find heaps of owners who will tell you..."but I still love it!"
So you agree with my claim then. Cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I followed a brand new model 3 for a while today, still with the dealer tags and everything, and one of its LED taillight units was blown out

I'm sure that's just a normal kind of thing that happened with any large car manufacturer though

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lucky you didn't get hit by flying parts.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

bawfuls posted:

"but I still love it!"

Serious question for the haters, do you understand how big of a deal this is?

It's like, the most important thing. Nothing else matters if Tesla owners love the product, tell friends about it, stay loyal, buy Tesla's (which they are doing, in record numbers) and all that. The Iphone analogies are perfect in this case.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spandexcajun posted:

It's like, the most important thing. Nothing else matters if Tesla owners love the product, tell friends about it, stay loyal, buy Tesla's (which they are doing, in record numbers) and all that. The Iphone analogies are perfect in this case.
Of course it's important, but it's also silly to pretend that this level of devotion in the face of flaws will continue as Tesla ramps up to mass market production. Musk's long-stated overriding goal for Tesla is to make an accessible EV for the mass market, not just some luxury niche for his devoted fans.

iPhones are not in fact a good analogy at all. They were never plagued by this level of manufacturing defect at any point. Certainly there are critiques to be made about the features and performance, but at no point were fully HALF of all new iPhones in need of some repair within months of purchase.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 7, 2018

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
“You’re autopiloting it wrong”

I donno, sounds apt to me

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Again, when have 50+% of iPhone buyers needed to take their phone back to Apple within a few months of purchase to fix a manufacturing defect?

That is a staggering rate that is far worse than a dumb antenna design.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spandexcajun posted:

yeah the problem is when people who weren't so predisposed to loving the product that they put cash on the nail on a product that didn't exist buy it instead of buying a Camry or whatever and are then really disappointed because they don't care as much about the "cool" factor and care more about the "is screwed together well" factor

it's interesting though - is tesla going to be the first car company that is cool enough that the average consumer doesn't give a poo poo about traditional performance, quality and reliability? i genuinely don't know the answer and am interested to find out!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Ah, you mean the Trans Am on blocks model of car sales.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spandexcajun posted:

Serious answer: They are great cars. But that's no excuse for the poor QA.

I would own a Tesla in a heartbeat, but I also drive cars that have loads of issues, so I'd be used to it. Why is this logic so hard to parse: You can love something and still be disappointed in the parent company's failures.

I love the VW TDIs, I love VAG. But I was still ticked at VAG for the Dieselgate scandal. I mean, seriously pissed how bad they screwed the pooch.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 8, 2018

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

spandexcajun posted:

This is absolutely correct. People love their Teslas, even though they aren't perfect, because they know exactly what they have. Everyone knows Teslas are not nearly as tidily built as other cars at a similar price point, everyone knows there will be defects, but people still want to buy them because they are cool as all sweet hell. You could buy a Bolt and have a better constructed EV that is arguably just as good in many regards, but you'd be driving a Chevrolet and Chevrolet has decades of mediocrity and malaise behind them.

The most vehement Tesla haters really don't get it at all.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
'Tidily'

Heh

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

stevobob posted:

This is absolutely correct. People love their Teslas, even though they aren't perfect, because they know exactly what they have. Everyone knows Teslas are not nearly as tidily built as other cars at a similar price point, everyone knows there will be defects, but people still want to buy them because they are cool as all sweet hell. You could buy a Bolt and have a better constructed EV that is arguably just as good in many regards, but you'd be driving a Chevrolet and Chevrolet has decades of mediocrity and malaise behind them.

The most vehement Tesla haters really don't get it at all.

Actually, I would bet that over 90% of new car buyers would say they love their new car, regardless of make or model and despite any flaws. It takes a year or two for the thrill to wear off.

So the fact that Tesla owners love their cars doesn't really mean a lot. If people didn't like or want the car they wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I love VAG.

I, too, love me some VAG

sorry, low hanging fruit

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Labiaplasty can fix that for you

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I’ll say this: I get that fit and finish is important, but there are so many fewer mechanical things that can go wrong in an EV compared to an ICE car in general that while this is a problem, the low cost of maintenance and the general/look/features/range make the Model 3 damned attractive.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

There is def a market for a 200mi range EV that has absolutely nothing special in it. As long as it's reliable, blows cold air, and is marketed to where people will know it exists.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One thing that might need adjusting in the pessimists' scenario is that QA issues aren't constant. It's not like it's in Tesla's eternal nature to build cars with constantly wide panel gaps. Model S buyers still run into QA issues, but the car is vastly improved from the 1st gen in both component sourcing and build. The Model 3 will improve similarly. One thing they seem to have embraced is to have as few option combinations as possible to streamline production.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

There is def a market for a 200mi range EV that has absolutely nothing special in it. As long as it's reliable, blows cold air, and is marketed to where people will know it exists.

I think this is Hyundai Kona, except for marketing. I guess they don’t need to market it more to sell the cars they make.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Quit reporting posts because you don't agree with them.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Uh yeah guys, can we please keep the speculation about the world's largest EV company out of the EV speculation / discussion thread??!!

This thread is a wasteland.

Edit: My fav part of yesterday listening to the stock analysts on TV was an old fart claiming that "he never sees an EV parked in the EV spot at Whole Foods, so this whole EV revolution will never happen". Parents just don't understand.

Disclaimer: I own a lot of TSLA and Teslas.

eeenmachine fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 8, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McStephenson posted:

I’ll say this: I get that fit and finish is important, but there are so many fewer mechanical things that can go wrong in an EV compared to an ICE car in general that while this is a problem, the low cost of maintenance and the general/look/features/range make the Model 3 damned attractive.

Its a $49,000 car, drat right fit and finish matter. And thats bottom price, and so far as we can tell, its faster to get your car if you order all the options, which raises the price to $81,000.

That's not cheap.

eeenmachine posted:

Edit: My fav part of yesterday listening to the stock analysts on TV was an old fart claiming that "he never sees an EV parked in the EV spot at Whole Foods, so this whole EV revolution will never happen". Parents just don't understand.

Our Kroger has two EV charging spots, that some douche in a truck always parks in, makes me want to buy an EV just to park in his usual spot.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 8, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

Our Kroger has two EV charging spots, that some douche in a truck always parks in, makes me want to buy an EV just to park in his usual spot.

A lot of businesses want to put them right up at the front of the lot, sometimes with a handicapped/EV spot included, which just about guarantees that someone in an ICE car will park in them 100% of the time.

The only way EV spots stay open is when they’re at the back of the lot. That’s no problem for me, but it’s an ADA lawsuit waiting to happen. Municipalities or States could pass legislation granting EV charging spots force-of-law, but that’s never going to happen, and I remain unconvinced that it’s a good idea to begin with.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Re: the fit and finish discussion, my impression is that Model 3 had a lot of problems in the first couple months, but they are now basically up to scratch? Is that not accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Re: the fit and finish discussion, my impression is that Model 3 had a lot of problems in the first couple months, but they are now basically up to scratch? Is that not accurate?

I've seen a bunch on the road now and certainly nothing stands out as badly put together. But then it's hard to tell that a panel gap might be 1cm on one side and 0.5cm on the other without humping the thing. Internet hyperbole would have you believe they're put together worse than a chop shop Trabant though. They look like normal cars to me.

• Locked thread