Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BonzoESC posted:

Doesn't 2.3 have those too? I used them on my HTC Vivid which is pretty new, and also on un-named competitor phone that's had them since 2010.

Yes, you just had to manually create them instead of dragging and dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, you just had to manually create them instead of dragging and dropping.

Made worse by the fact that you had to first create the folder then put apps in it a-la Windows style.

News of the day, Chrome Beta drops for ICS phones and tablets: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.android.chrome

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^^^^^
Ballin

BonzoESC posted:

Doesn't 2.3 have those too? I used them on my HTC Vivid which is pretty new, and also on un-named competitor phone that's had them since 2010.

They are much more user friendly in ICS, exactly like iOS I think.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Have you seen any of the Acer A50x tablets? The resolution on my old 500 was pretty terrible but I have nothing to compare it against so I'm not sure if that's the norm or not.

600x1024

Not fantastic but adequate in my opinion. The screen is otherwise very nice. I'm not sure what the resolution was for the 500 but I think the 600x1024 was popular among small Android Tablets last year.

Edit: On the topic of folders, what the gently caress Honeycomb?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Codiusprime posted:

Hrm.... I don't recall anything about folder creation in HC. Is it gone or something? I had so much real estate I didn't even think about it.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Hrm.... I don't recall anything about folder creation in HC. Is it gone or something? I had so much real estate I didn't even think about it.

Yea, not even there!

Also the the Chrome Beta feels fast, at least on my phone, like really fast.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Codiusprime posted:

There's a reason why Google didn't make Honeycomb source code public. That was a cheap, rushed-in (software) product, which surprisingly lasted enough to not make people think about "screw Android tablets", for the most part.

e: but I'm glad it was released to the public. At least it served to polish 4.0 further, which is a joyful experience.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
.wrong thread

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 7, 2012

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rastor posted:

This is the Android tablet thread. Android isn't limited to only 2 (+2) resolutions; it scales from tiny 2" QVGA screens all the way to giant Television displays.

The problem is you think this is a good thing. It's good if you're a device maker, as it allows you to use whatever-the-hell screen resolution and aspect ratio you want to differentiate yourself.

For app makers, it's a loving nightmare, because if you want your app to scale gracefully and maintain the proper layout you have to build and test for a huge range of devices, and since there's no restrictions, when a new device with a new resolution comes out, if you didn't plan for that there's a good chance your current implementation won't work for it. This means you get poo poo like the Skype app.

For users, it means you get the end result of dev frustrations, which is sub-par UI design, funky scaling behaviors and old apps that may not work as intended.

iOS keeps getting brought up because what they're doing works a hell of a lot better for pretty much everybody. I'll drop it now as I've said all I care to say, but I'm not sure why pointing out a flaw in Android's choices that effects everybody is trolling to you.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Crackbone posted:

For app makers, it's a loving nightmare, because if you want your app to scale gracefully and maintain the proper layout you have to build and test for a huge range of devices, and since there's no restrictions, when a new device with a new resolution comes out, if you didn't plan for that there's a good chance your current implementation won't work for it. This means you get poo poo like the Skype app.

Web developers have been doing this before iOS and Android existed. Android layouts work a lot like web layouts. It doesn't take much effort to make a scalable layout. Since many developers don't care, and there's no approval system for the Android market, we get a lot of applications that behave poorly.
I think a possible solution would be for developers to pay a small amount of money for Google to evaluate their application and then it could get some kind of mark of approval if it meets whatever requirements, but I can't see that happening.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you think being locked into a walled garden with only two aspect ratios / resolutions is a hell of a lot better for pretty much everybody, you are wrong. Objectively wrong. Which is fine, but I wish people would stop making GBS threads up the Android threads with that crap. There are different threads where you can talk about how great it is to have only two options instead of many.

Crackbone posted:

I'll drop it now

Apparently not.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I think a possible solution would be for developers to pay a small amount of money for Google to evaluate their application and then it could get some kind of mark of approval if it meets whatever requirements, but I can't see that happening.

How do developers get the Editor's Choice tags? It seems like their easily could be some incentives like that to encourage all kinds of good practices, including things like actual good tablet apps.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rastor posted:

Apparently not.
:psyduck:

I don't think you understand what "I'll drop it now means".

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Crackbone posted:

:psyduck:

I don't think you understand what "I'll drop it now means".

It was the wall of text above "I'll drop it".

Where all the people with Touchpads running janky CM ports posting? I'm curious to see how that whole fire sale thing turned out for the modding community.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Where all the people with Touchpads running janky CM ports posting?
SA-Mart.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

SA-Mart.

Not gonna lie, :lol::lol:

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SA-Mart.

:iceburn:

They're pretty solid at this point. CM9 is up and working smoothly except for video hardware acceleration (no Netflix, no Youtube HD) and the FFC. Last I heard, dalingrin is optimistic about those I think?

Edit: Oh, and posting in the Rooted Android thread, because CM9 on a Touchpad isn't an Android tablet.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
I'm seriously considering this one if it actually turns out to be real - the upgrades to TouchWiz look pretty drat impressive and the resolution can't be beaten.

Kirk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 7, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I mean it was supposed to be a joke, but really guys it's not that funny.

Also we never really got that sorted out. We were going to rearrange the WebOS stuff once HP decided not to kill it because that thread was getting too derailed with Android on TouchPad discussion, but I think that's died down a bit.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

SA-Mart.

Thanks for helping to minimize the animosity.

OK, so I know gently caress-all about app development, but I've always wondered if the soultion to the scaling headaches would be going with a vector format instead of dealing with upscaling and interpolation bullshit. poo poo, SVG is already an XML-based format and the file size is tiny.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I mean it was supposed to be a joke, but really guys it's not that funny.

To be fair, if you bought one for $100-150 and can sell it used months later for $200-250, many people will do so. Even if you do like and want a tablet, it's a good way to subsidize the price of a Transformer Prime or iPad if you're a poor.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kynetx posted:

Thanks for helping to minimize the animosity.

OK, so I know gently caress-all about app development, but I've always wondered if the soultion to the scaling headaches would be going with a vector format instead of dealing with upscaling and interpolation bullshit. poo poo, SVG is already an XML-based format and the file size is tiny.

Sure for images. But you still have the issue that tablet apps can and should work differently than phone apps.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

Sure for images. But you still have the issue that tablet apps can and should work differently than phone apps.

The same application can display and behave differently depending on resolution/density. If the application does not work differently when it should, this is a problem the developer needs to fix.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Which is exactly why the Android developer guides have extensive documentation about how to create one app which works differently on phones and tablets.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Rastor posted:

If you think being locked into a walled garden with only two aspect ratios / resolutions is a hell of a lot better for pretty much everybody, you are wrong. Objectively wrong.

More than two aspect ratios, resolutions, and other hardware capabilities makes it a pain in the rear end for me to develop for your platform.

Kynetx posted:

Detailed vector art is inefficient to render and looks terrible at small sizes. Since almost all interface elements never resize as an app runs, it's more sane to provide pixel artwork. A lot of touchup work goes into the low-resolution output of a vector master. Redrawn on left, scaled on right:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Rastor posted:

Which is exactly why the Android developer guides have extensive documentation about how to create one app which works differently on phones and tablets.

This is what you need to do to make apps work well across very different form factors like phones and tablets, you can't just write a phone UI and call it a day or your app will look terrible against dedicated tablet apps no matter how sophisticated the scaling algorithms.

So can you basically bundle two different apps in the same app on Android like you can with universal apps in iOS?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
First I just want to say thanks to the happy Prime owners that chimed in before the recent drama broke out.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, and on a properly built product you shouldn't even have to do stuff like this, but those of you Prime owners that are having issues, you might want to check this out; a simple possible fix for wifi and gps signal is to simply squeeze the top of your device to better engage the pogo pins to the antenna inside the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgx2Kpfi-Ps&hd=1

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

McLarenF1 posted:

First I just want to say thanks to the happy Prime owners that chimed in before the recent drama broke out.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, and on a properly built product you shouldn't even have to do stuff like this, but those of you Prime owners that are having issues, you might want to check this out; a simple possible fix for wifi and gps signal is to simply squeeze the top of your device to better engage the pogo pins to the antenna inside the device.

Bravo Asus, bravo.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

McLarenF1 posted:

Im hoping the EEE Transformer Prime TF300T and the TF700T dont have these problems

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Im hoping the EEE Transformer Prime TF300T and the TF700T dont have these problems

It would be amazing if they made the same mistakes over again. Amazingly hilarious.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Man I got an Asus Transformer for christmas and it's probably one of the jankiest pieces of electronics ever designed. Honeycomb is such an atrocity that I had to look up how to install a custom ROM just to iron out some of the more egregious lag. It's also unexcusable for scrolling to lag more in portrait than in landscape mode. If ICS doesn't fix things I'm probably going to sell it and move on, goddamn.

Also XDA is a blight on the internet.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

For the record, I have a B serial number device, and I believe they are up to C now, and I don't have any issues with my Prime.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Have you seen any of the Acer A50x tablets? The resolution on my old 500 was pretty terrible but I have nothing to compare it against so I'm not sure if that's the norm or not.

Yeah unfortunately its par for the course - current 10" 1280x800 tablets look terrible beside even WVGA phones.

Look at an iPad next to a retina display iPhone the difference is even more obvious.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Just for the record, I had no interest (and still have no interest) in starting or continuing a derail in this thread about resolutions and iPads and whatnot. I believe I edited my post to redact the claims about scaling and the iPad comparison before the end of page 16. Sorry for being the progenitor of that clusterfuck.

As an aside: Chrome Beta is cool and all, but I kind of like the regular browser better. It matches with the overall feel of ICS and it's got that neato labs navigation feature.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

McLarenF1 posted:

Death Grip 2012.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I have a chance to buy a hp touchpad for like 130. should I jump on that and root that thing or stick with my plan to get a 7 inch device?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's a pretty huge size difference between those choices, which size do you think you would prefer?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

I have a chance to buy a hp touchpad for like 130. should I jump on that and root that thing or stick with my plan to get a 7 inch device?
This is whole page of the thread again, I think the answer is clear.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

TontoCorazon posted:

Yes, at worst you can resell it for 180-$200 and make a small profit.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Internaut! posted:

So can you basically bundle two different apps in the same app on Android like you can with universal apps in iOS?

Yea, you can do hard OS version checks or package res files for different screen sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

donglelord posted:

Yea, you can do hard OS version checks or package res files for different screen sizes.

The Awful Android app is a good example of this - I think later versions even include a 3rd layout targeted at Google TV.