Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Because people who want to buy iPads buy iPads. People who don't want to buy iPads refuse to spend more than $150, based on the tablet recommendation thread.

And history and market forces despite efforts by many companies (Samsung, Google, Amazon). Any non iPad non cellphones without keyboards over $200 is basically a non existent market.

Even Amazon doesn't try to sell expensive large tablets anymore, they were the last one really pushing the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Because Google doesn't care about android tablets.

They care about chromebooks.
I think the issue is that the market for expensive Android tablets is largely covered by iPads, and the market for cheap Android tablets is largely covered by iPads and Kindle Fires.

Much as I would love a Nexus 7 2018, honestly I'm pretty happy with my Kindle Fire HD 10. The market for "I want an Android device that's relatively inexpensive and not an Amazon device" is mostly tech people who don't like big phones or Apple, which isn't really a huge market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just want to be using the same version and user experience on my tablet as my phone. That's not possible at all right now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

I just want to be using the same version and user experience on my tablet as my phone. That's not possible at all right now.
The Pixel C is still up to date.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have one.

It's too big.

The screen is poo poo.

And it's moving out of support.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

jokes posted:

Playa those guys go on sale for $50 all the time. It would be an absolutely amazing device if not for Amazon's customizations. They even managed to completely block root.

Not in Canada. :canada: (also, $99cdn is like $75us) But it's a fairly nice replacement for my old N7/2012 that died, makes for a decent couch computer for surfing and playing games.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

bull3964 posted:

And it's moving out of support.

Who is going to support a tablet these days without a vested interest in the tablet market? The only real safe bet is an Nvidia Shield as they're going to be updating that thing for years due to the TVs with integrated Shield poo poo coming out.

If you want longevity find something that sells well and is well liked by the custom ROM community, that's likely to still have some kind of updates 3 years down the road.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rickets posted:

Who is going to support a tablet these days without a vested interest in the tablet market? The only real safe bet is an Nvidia Shield as they're going to be updating that thing for years due to the TVs with integrated Shield poo poo coming out.

If you want longevity find something that sells well and is well liked by the custom ROM community, that's likely to still have some kind of updates 3 years down the road.

The Shield tablet is also out of support.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

The Shield tablet is also out of support.

Yep. Nvidia already said it's not getting Oreo.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

The screen is poo poo.
What am I missing here? The Pixel C screen still looks pretty great to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Uniformity is terrible. At least mine is yellow tinged all around the edges and it's a pretty common issue that Google says is totally normal. It completely ruined the device for me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I must have gotten pretty lucky with my C, as I'm a pretty big screen sperg and didn't notice it.

I can't check it out now since I gave it away when my Pixelbook came in. Which I'm typing this on right now. This is probably the nicest piece of hardware I've ever owned. The whole thing feels solid and uniform and the hinges have the perfect amount of resistance. I got the i7 version and the performance is astounding with such a lightweight OS. The trackpad is the best I've ever used and I hate to say it but the keyboard is better than the one on my Thinkpad.

I'm thinking about getting the pen. Has anyone tried it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thanatosian posted:

I think the issue is that the market for expensive Android tablets is largely covered by iPads, and the market for cheap Android tablets is largely covered by iPads and Kindle Fires.

Much as I would love a Nexus 7 2018, honestly I'm pretty happy with my Kindle Fire HD 10. The market for "I want an Android device that's relatively inexpensive and not an Amazon device" is mostly tech people who don't like big phones or Apple, which isn't really a huge market.

The market for all tablets has largely been eaten away by larger phones and cheaper laptops - data for the entirety of 2017 hasnt come out yet but last year companies in the tablet space were considered to do well if they kept their year on year loss of raw sales versus 2016 to under 5%, with tablet sales continuously declining each quarter year-on-year since mid 2014. That said Apple still has mostly been bouncing around the 33% share mark for the past few years in the the tablet space and Amazon is usually around 15-20% - a lot of the rest is Samsungs and Huaweis and Lenovos.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I love Android, and I'm not a huge fan of iOS. However, Google has commitment issues. They can't make a messenger that competes with iMessage. They make 3, 4, 5+ different apps that all do the same thing, and all end up abandoned.

Google really needs someone at the helm to unify them. I don't think they need to be Apple levels of iOS, but they do need to step it up. I honestly think that if Google commited to the Nexus 7 tablet line like Apple did to the iPad line, we'd be getting a Nexus 7 (2018). Look what they did with the Pixel phone. Now imagine if they did that for a Nexus 7 (2018).

fishmech posted:

The market for all tablets has largely been eaten away by larger phones and cheaper laptops - data for the entirety of 2017 hasnt come out yet but last year companies in the tablet space were considered to do well if they kept their year on year loss of raw sales versus 2016 to under 5%, with tablet sales continuously declining each quarter year-on-year since mid 2014. That said Apple still has mostly been bouncing around the 33% share mark for the past few years in the the tablet space and Amazon is usually around 15-20% - a lot of the rest is Samsungs and Huaweis and Lenovos.

I honestly think that, like I said above, if Google just commited to the Tablet, things would be a lot better than they are.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kheldarn posted:

I honestly think that, like I said above, if Google just commited to the Tablet, things would be a lot better than they are.

Apple's been committed to tablets for years, has all the brand recognition in the world, all that stuff. They still sold just 11.4 million iPads in the 3rd quarter of 2017 (last quarter with data available) versus 12.2 million back in 3Q14.

People just don't want tablets that much these days.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Apple's been committed to tablets for years, has all the brand recognition in the world, all that stuff. They still sold just 11.4 million iPads in the 3rd quarter of 2017 (last quarter with data available) versus 12.2 million back in 3Q14.

Right. But I think that if Google was as commited as Apple from the start, those numbers would be much higher. However, we'll never know.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just bought an iPad Mini this week to replace my Nexus 7 because Google hasn't bothered to make a compact tablet since then. It was $325 and seems decent so far. It sucks having to use a different ecosystem but what other choice do you have for a compact tablet other than some janky garbage.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If you're going to a different ecosystem, you'd might as well get a cheap Fire tablet since you'd at least have 85% of the same ecosystem as your phone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

I love Android, and I'm not a huge fan of iOS. However, Google has commitment issues. They can't make a messenger that competes with iMessage. They make 3, 4, 5+ different apps that all do the same thing, and all end up abandoned.

Google really needs someone at the helm to unify them.

Google had a grand unification push: Google Plus. Being a social network was secondary, its primary goal was to be a Google account hub where you control your profile and accounts and contact circles and messaging and the plan was to have microservices all interlinked and mediated through Plus. The kickback and resentment took Google by surprise and went so badly, with people getting angry about being 'forced' to activate and use Google Plus, they had to walk the strategy back, which took years and they had nothing to replace it., So the push for unification failed and that's why every second Google service has their own instant messaging now and there end up being duplicate functions all over the place and wierd random projects.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 12, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Google had a grand unification push: Google Plus. Being a social network was secondary, its primary goal was to be a Google account hub where you control your profile and accounts and contact circles and messaging and the plan was to have microservices all interlinked and mediated through Plus. The kickback and resentment took Google by surprise and went so badly, with people getting angry about being 'forced' to activate and use Google Plus, they had to walk the strategy back, which took years and they had nothing to replace it., So the push for unification failed and that's why every second Google service has their own instant messaging now and there end up being duplicate functions all over the place and wierd random projects.

While you have facts right you have the reasons wrong.

The reason for the balkanization of Google services is due to their structure. You simply have more to gain by reinventing a wheel than fixing one, and thus it's way better for your career to work on a new project making a new messaging service (Allo) versus maintaining an existing one (Hangouts) and eventually that old one withers and dies.

This is completely separate from the consolidation under "social". They got a serious case of Facebook envy and yes, tried to tie everything to that. They did finally tie all of their services to one identity (and why they hadn't before that was due to the structure mentioned above) but that was secondary (and necessary) to the idea of having this social network.

You rightly pointed out the backlash and the walkback, but that again had nothing to do with the balkanization of services or the way their ecosystem doesn't work well as a cohesive suite, that's just how Google operates. It was that way before (actually much worse) and it's that way now. Much like how stack ranking defines Microsoft and is seen clearly in their products, this defines Google.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

Or they do, but already have a tablet, and don't upgrade at the rate people do with phones. I know I don't (though that said I had my last phone for five years, too).

smr
Dec 18, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Amen, brother. I recently bought a second Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus (gimped US edition) to pair with a Pixel 2 XL because I don't want to use iOS on my tablet and Android on my phone. I keep an iPhone-iPad pair and have tried to keep an Android Phone & tablet pair as well, but Android tablets are just garbage... this tablet meets my requirements for "mine-sized" and "has cellular" but it also runs like a stuttering prick and for gently caress's sake it has an LED notification light I can't actually turn off that also doesn't seem to respect an app's notification settings regarding the LED? Jesus gently caress.

Really wish Samsung made an 8" edition of the Tab S3, I had an 8" S2 for a while and didn't mind it but I refuse to have anything in my life that charges over USB-mini anymore (Kindle excepted).

I'd pay iPad money for a modern Pixel tablet, no problem. Somebody make the fuckin' thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I had an 8" Tab S2 before I returned it went to the 9.7" tab S3.

I wish I would have stayed with the former. The Tab S3, despite having a SD820, runs worse than the Tab S2 with the SD650. It's just not a very nice device to use. The settings are all wrong, it's janky, and it suffers from "upside down" panel syndrome when held in it's native portrait orientation which results in jelly effect while scrolling.

I got pulled in by the nice HDR OLED screen and while it does look nice, it just wasn't worth the premium.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

AkumaHokoru posted:

homebrew magic game on my tablet

Magic the Gathering? Where?!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Magic the Gathering? Where?!

Wagic. Likes proper android tablets on android 6 or higher apparently.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

AkumaHokoru posted:

Oh drat, I remember this! I had this loaded on a PSP. Thanks!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh drat, I remember this! I had this loaded on a PSP. Thanks!

enjoy I cannot get it to run on kindle :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Atomizer posted:

I bought this battery, which is basically a drop-in replacement for the OEM one, has great reviews, and the price is right. I agree that, aside from the N7 just slightly showing its age, it's still a functional tablet. I'll reiterate that my battery life was quite fine after the 4+ years or whatever, but I had to do the replacement because it was swelling up to the point that the back of the case was probably going to pop off soon! I followed this guide on YT and it shows just how straightforward the replacement process was.

I ordered a new one from Aliexpress since I couldn't find yours on Amazon.es. It has good feedback from all around the world, I'll let you know how it runs when it arrives (probably a bit more than a month from today).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/C11...2819313963.html

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I ordered a new one from Aliexpress since I couldn't find yours on Amazon.es. It has good feedback from all around the world, I'll let you know how it runs when it arrives (probably a bit more than a month from today).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/C11...2819313963.html

That looks like it'll work just fine. At this point, it doesn't really matter who's making replacement batteries for 5-year-old tablets, they're all probably going to work exactly the same and you're not going to find OEM ones anymore.

As far as tools all you should need is a plastic prying tool/pick to get the rear case off and a small screwdriver. There's a little bit of connector lifting that you could do with those two tools, and the most difficult/time-consuming part was peeling the battery out of the tray (I used the prying tool but it was still annoying due to limited range of motion and not wanting to bend the tray.)

The other thing to note is that battery connector you can see in the product photo: in the video I linked they specify lifting up on it to remove it, and that's indeed how it works, but I broke one of the two plastic tabs. If you look closely in the product photo you can see square holes at each end of the black connector; those are where the square tabs from the tablet's portion of the connector fit in, and one broke off. The connector still fit snugly but it's something I'll warn the next guys to attempt this procedure. I'd suggest trying to lift the black connector from the edges rather than underneath (which was awkward anyway.)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

feedmegin posted:

Or they do, but already have a tablet, and don't upgrade at the rate people do with phones. I know I don't (though that said I had my last phone for five years, too).

This is probably a big reason too. There's three generations of iPads in my house. My mother's iPad 2, my father's iPad 4, and my iPad Air 2.

They each serve their use case fine. My mother playing puzzle's on the 2, my father using the 4 for email when he travels, and myself reading comics/websurfing on the Air 2. There's really no need to upgrade.

I think there's also an issue of Android apps just not being developed with tablet use in mind. I understand a lot of Android apps get stretched on tablets since they were only developed for phones.

Edit: It is disappointing that I'm divided between iOS and Android when it comes to tablet-phone pairing, but some apps can bridge this through third party accounts like Facebook.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 14, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

OhFunny posted:

I understand a lot of Android apps get stretched on tablets since they were only developed for phones.

This is a thing, but I don't feel like it's that big of a deal. Maybe it's different for others, but I don't recall ever using an app on any of my tablets and being pissed about the layout of the app due to it being a stretched phone ui.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

AkumaHokoru posted:

There's also Forge. Been fiddling with it and it's good fun.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

OhFunny posted:

This is probably a big reason too. There's three generations of iPads in my house. My mother's iPad 2, my father's iPad 4, and my iPad Air 2.

They each serve their use case fine. My mother playing puzzle's on the 2, my father using the 4 for email when he travels, and myself reading comics/websurfing on the Air 2. There's really no need to upgrade.

I think there's also an issue of Android apps just not being developed with tablet use in mind. I understand a lot of Android apps get stretched on tablets since they were only developed for phones.

Edit: It is disappointing that I'm divided between iOS and Android when it comes to tablet-phone pairing, but some apps can bridge this through third party accounts like Facebook.

I think people would hang onto their devices even longer if they continued to be supported; there's an old 1G iPad floating around here that otherwise still works, for example, but because it hasn't been supported for years a lot of apps no longer have current, usable versions (e.g. Netflix.)

Anecdotally, my mom plays stupid puzzle games on her iPad, iPad Mini, and iPhone...simultaneously. :psyduck: I don't know what the hell she's doing or how she's doing it, but yeah.

I only use Android stuff, but I find the OS fragmentation and lack of support frustrating. It's basically, "why would I buy a new Android tablet if the manufacturer's never going to update it?" (I've had mixed results with custom ROMs in the past.)

Thermopyle posted:

This is a thing, but I don't feel like it's that big of a deal. Maybe it's different for others, but I don't recall ever using an app on any of my tablets and being pissed about the layout of the app due to it being a stretched phone ui.

This is what I've always felt. Some apps clearly do scale or have otherwise different interfaces for a larger tablet display (e.g. Vainglory,) but I've never felt that it's been an issue to have a phone app stretch on a tablet. It still works exactly the same. :shrug:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Atomizer posted:

That looks like it'll work just fine. At this point, it doesn't really matter who's making replacement batteries for 5-year-old tablets, they're all probably going to work exactly the same and you're not going to find OEM ones anymore.

As far as tools all you should need is a plastic prying tool/pick to get the rear case off and a small screwdriver. There's a little bit of connector lifting that you could do with those two tools, and the most difficult/time-consuming part was peeling the battery out of the tray (I used the prying tool but it was still annoying due to limited range of motion and not wanting to bend the tray.)

The other thing to note is that battery connector you can see in the product photo: in the video I linked they specify lifting up on it to remove it, and that's indeed how it works, but I broke one of the two plastic tabs. If you look closely in the product photo you can see square holes at each end of the black connector; those are where the square tabs from the tablet's portion of the connector fit in, and one broke off. The connector still fit snugly but it's something I'll warn the next guys to attempt this procedure. I'd suggest trying to lift the black connector from the edges rather than underneath (which was awkward anyway.)

Thanks for the tips. I'll post a "I fixed/hosed my N7 2013" album when the battery arrives.

I really want to keep my N7 alive because appart from the obvious "it's cheaper to replace the batery" it fits perfectly on my man purse so I can carry it anywhere. No, I don't wear cargo pants :haw:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I got a Lenovo Tab 4 10" from the Amazon Treasure Truck sale a few days ago, and I gotta say for $120 it's a badass tablet. I only wanted something to watch Netflix or HBO GO on, but it's drat snappy and it's running Nougat, so... Yeah. Happily surprised.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The beginning of the end for Android tablets.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Fuzz posted:

I got a Lenovo Tab 4 10" from the Amazon Treasure Truck sale a few days ago, and I gotta say for $120 it's a badass tablet. I only wanted something to watch Netflix or HBO GO on, but it's drat snappy and it's running Nougat, so... Yeah. Happily surprised.

How is the size compared to the 7? I was thinking of getting the tab 8 but was torn between the sizes

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

The beginning of the end for Android tablets.

Yup, and honestly, good. I would argue that this isn't the beginning of the end (that was Android apps on ChromeOS) but the final evolution.

This form factor will be pretty much the same as a normal Android tablet, with full chrome, and the nature of chromeOS means it's going to stay up to date and supported longer with no manufacturer crap applications.

Give me an 8" form factor of this and I'll be all over it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

Give me an 8" form factor of this and I'll be all over it.
:same: but 10" and FHD not 720px

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hell, I would probably be down for a 9.7" even. ChromeOS is so good and make sense outside of the phone space. If I could make chromeOS run on my Tab S3, I would do it in a heartbeat and probably use it a bunch more.

Manufactures can't give tablets the same attention they give phones, so it makes so much sense to hand off the software experience completely to Google.

It would be nice to not have to pine over a never going to exist Nexus tablet. To be able to go to Acer or Asus and get the same first class software experience I have on my Pixelbook.