Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Henry Meowlins posted:

Ice Cream Sandwich is only confirmed for a device the moment the update is released. Google doesn't actually care if anyone gets the update.
I don't think it's fair to say Google doesn't care, there's only so much they can dictate before more manufacturers will go the route of Amazon and drop the Google software from their devices.

But the advice is still sound, don't buy a device unless there's at least a leaked build of Ice Cream Sandwich for it.

GreatKesh posted:

Your tablets hosed, not even my tf101 does this
If you keep reading the thread you'll see he was streaming 4 torrents to the SD card slot. We advised him not to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

I don't think it's fair to say Google doesn't care, there's only so much they can dictate before more manufacturers will go the route of Amazon and drop the Google software from their devices.

But the advice is still sound, don't buy a device unless there's at least a leaked build of Ice Cream Sandwich for it.
If you keep reading the thread you'll see he was streaming 4 torrents to the SD card slot. We advised him not to do that.
I'm going to return it regardless. The screen acted up again so I'm just going to get rid of it. Its just too big and oddly shaped. I walk a couple miles to and from the train each day and unlike my seven inch tablet it doesn't fit in my jacket pocket and its uncomfortable to have to carry. I'm also going to return my flyer. I liked it but i figure ill return it now while I'm still in the return period and I'm just going to wait until either the 10.1 note comes out or get a newer seven inch and then buy and return those later. I fully intend to experiment with Amazons very lax return policy.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I got my refurbished Kindle Fire yesterday, and so far I'm pretty pleased with it. Physically it's in superb condition, same as new. It doesn't seem to like some of my video files, but sideloaded MX Player handles them in software decode mode just fine. :confused:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rastor posted:

They absolutely do not care.

Person who recently interviewed at Google posted:

I interviewed at google last weekend and one of my interviewers was a guy who works on market. During the "any questions" phase I started asking him about android fragmentation and what, if anything, google was going to do about it, and I brought up the 2% ice cream sandwich thing and everything.

His response was basically "it's definitely an issue but I work on market. Not my problem."

Now before anyone says "well he should only care about the area for which he works," the market developers should absolutely be some of the top guys concerned about fragmentation since it largely affects everything channeled through their product. This is just one example of many, albeit anecdotally, that belies a complete lack of desire for google to do anything about the fragmentation of their OS. If they really wanted, they could push the manufacturers. They have some leverage. The bottom line to google, though, isn't that anyone has the most up to date software or even a device that works well, but rather just millions of devices in hand that they can use to harvest data to further build their analytical information to sell to their true customer the advertisers. They don't make money by having everyone up to date on Ice Cream Sandwich. They won't care that everyone is running Gingerbread when Jelly Bean is out. They are able to sell and serve up adspace on any one of them and that's their bread and butter.

Will google ever change their mantra? I don't believe there will be any appreciable change to their current approach as long as their still able to monetize all the users of the various android versions out there. As long as the advertisers keep paying the bills, google will not give a gently caress about fragmentation. They have absolutely no reason to do so.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Please don't buy a used device from Craigslist for your mother. Android or not that's a really scummy half-assed thing to do. She's your mother!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm really bad at using my new electronics, so I'm just now getting around to using my HTC Evo View 4g tablet thing from Sprint.

I'm more familiar with accessories in video game consoles, and I know that there's screen protectors that are crap and screen protectors that are not. So I'm kind of assuming this might go for table accessories as well.

I'm in the market for some type of case, stand, and screen protector.

I've been browsing through Amazon for a while, but it seems that everything I'm finding only has a handful of reviews so those two or so 2 and 1 star reviews really stick out, even though there are also reviews praising the products.

So if anyone out there has this or a similar tablet, what did you end up going with? Hopefully I can order it from Amazon since I have gift cards.

EDIT: Apparently I already have a stand and it looks fine.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 5, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Henry Meowlins posted:

They absolutely do not care.

Now before anyone says "well he should only care about the area for which he works," the market developers should absolutely be some of the top guys concerned about fragmentation since it largely affects everything channeled through their product. This is just one example of many, albeit anecdotally, that belies a complete lack of desire for google to do anything about the fragmentation of their OS. If they really wanted, they could push the manufacturers. They have some leverage. The bottom line to google, though, isn't that anyone has the most up to date software or even a device that works well, but rather just millions of devices in hand that they can use to harvest data to further build their analytical information to sell to their true customer the advertisers. They don't make money by having everyone up to date on Ice Cream Sandwich. They won't care that everyone is running Gingerbread when Jelly Bean is out. They are able to sell and serve up adspace on any one of them and that's their bread and butter.

Will google ever change their mantra? I don't believe there will be any appreciable change to their current approach as long as their still able to monetize all the users of the various android versions out there. As long as the advertisers keep paying the bills, google will not give a gently caress about fragmentation. They have absolutely no reason to do so.

There is truth to this of course, but imagine you're in his position. He's not an engineer, so who would take him seriously. He has a job to do that has a narrow focus. He can't fix the whole company.
I think even the engineers have given up at this point. Since it's an open source OS, Google has no power over how fast they upgrade software on existing devices or how unified the code is. This model is way more free market than the PCs ever were since Microsoft can choose whether or not to sell licenses to manufacturers.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Google must certainly has power to allow or disallow the use of, at the very least, branding and trademarks for android and the security credentials to access Google Play, which would put pressure on manufacturers to release timely updates. They just don't.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Don't iPhones come with no carrier poo poo automatically installed? How does Apple dictate that?

(Not getting into iOS/Android, just that it seems possible to do)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

clockworx posted:

Don't iPhones come with no carrier poo poo automatically installed? How does Apple dictate that?
They have a phone that carriers want desperately.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

clockworx posted:

(Not getting into iOS/Android, just that it seems possible to do)

Basically because they are apple. They're big enough to shove carriers around somewhat.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
Google could try something similar as a top-down effort to all their licensees. I don't know that it would work, but I guess they could try.

Instead they just release the Nexus devices and I guess leave "do I want an up-to-date device" decision to people who usually just walk out with whatever is cute and free with contract at the time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

clockworx posted:

Google could try something similar as a top-down effort to all their licensees. I don't know that it would work, but I guess they could try.

Instead they just release the Nexus devices and I guess leave "do I want an up-to-date device" decision to people who usually just walk out with whatever is cute and free with contract at the time.

Companies just wouldn't license poo poo from google then, which would kill googles income stream.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Companies just wouldn't license poo poo from google then, which would kill googles income stream.

What else would they use for smartphones? Apple dictates (not like they can license iOS anyways), and I thought even Microsoft started as well.

(Unless you mean they'd just use Android without the "Google Experience", which I guess is a definite possibility given that every company seems to have an app market now)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Which is exactly what I said. Google doesn't want version skew but they can't lean too hard because they want devices without Google apps on them even less.

Apple controls both the software and the hardware. Google doesn't.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm really bad at using my new electronics, so I'm just now getting around to using my HTC Evo View 4g tablet thing from Sprint.

I'm more familiar with accessories in video game consoles, and I know that there's screen protectors that are crap and screen protectors that are not. So I'm kind of assuming this might go for table accessories as well.

I've been browsing through Amazon for a while, but it seems that everything I'm finding only has a handful of reviews so those two or so 2 and 1 star reviews really stick out, even though there are also reviews praising the products.

So if anyone out there has this or a similar tablet, what did you end up going with? Hopefully I can order it from Amazon since I have gift cards.

EDIT: Apparently I already have a stand and it looks fine.
I have a really nice case made by Yoobao for my flyer, which is the same as the view. I'll post a link later but basically it looks just like a Moleskine notebook. I attached my own elastic band to hold it closed. It looks pretty nice. I'm returning my flyer so if you want the case let me know. I'll sell it to you for cheap.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Henry Meowlins posted:

Now before anyone says "well he should only care about the area for which he works,"

Well he should.

quote:

the market developers should absolutely be some of the top guys concerned about fragmentation since it largely affects everything channeled through their product.

How so? From an engineering perspective the only thing it changes is whether the Web install service is push or not (and at this point on 92% of devices it is). Software/hardware variation is abstracted away by filters. Why wouldn't they focus on solving Play app discoverability/design/maintenance problems whilst leaving dev tools/device compatibility to their respective teams?

quote:

The bottom line to google, though, isn't that anyone has the most up to date software or even a device that works well, but rather just millions of devices in hand that they can use to harvest data to further build their analytical information to sell to their true customer the advertisers.

Even with that premise they can't "harvest data" or push the Google ecosystem as effectively from broken devices or older versions of the OS.

quote:

They don't make money by having everyone up to date on Ice Cream Sandwich. They won't care that everyone is running Gingerbread when Jelly Bean is out. They are able to sell and serve up adspace on any one of them and that's their bread and butter.

A better (faster, smoother, more battery efficient etc) OS increases engagement/satisfaction with the device, which in turn increases the value of the ad space. Likewise with the browser, which is why they're moving in to bundle Chrome.

quote:

As long as the advertisers keep paying the bills, google will not give a gently caress about fragmentation. They have absolutely no reason to do so.

Except the part where the state of the OS and the browser directly affects their advertising bottom line.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

clockworx posted:

What else would they use for smartphones? Apple dictates (not like they can license iOS anyways), and I thought even Microsoft started as well.

(Unless you mean they'd just use Android without the "Google Experience", which I guess is a definite possibility given that every company seems to have an app market now)

Amazon most certainly is and has one of the most popular android tablets. They could give two shits about google play or anything of the sort.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm loving the performance of my tf300, but does it seem to anyone else that the colors are a little washed out?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm loving the performance of my tf300, but does it seem to anyone else that the colors are a little washed out?

On my prime this happens in power saving mode. There's some kind of driver that steps down color depth/quality to save battery in play. If you switch it to balanced or normal modes you should see it change over to normal..It's sort of subtle until it isn't.

Also the higher end of the display brightness tends to overexpose midtones pretty bad. Otherwise it's as good, if not better then any other IPS display I've used.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Completely different issue that's only come up since I got back from work: is there any particular reason tablet-side that I should only be getting 1mbps speeds on my wifi?

e: that keeps cutting on and off? I should point out my galaxy nexus is completely fine, no cut out and 70+ speed.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
I want to get a tablet for my wife for her birthday. Xoom on woot for 300bux. Good deal? Anyone got experience with this tablet? FYI: One on woot is refurb.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ASSTASTIC posted:

I want to get a tablet for my wife for her birthday. Xoom on woot for 300bux. Good deal? Anyone got experience with this tablet? FYI: One on woot is refurb.

One of the better android tablets to get, but $300 now a days seems a bit much for the Xoom. You have better android tablets on the horizon for the same price point. If you look you should be able to find an iPad 2 for that price point as well, so just weigh which operating system she wants.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Xoom is clunky by today's standards. Slow, fat, and heavy compared to what's out now.

Currently the most interesting 10-inch Android tablets are the Iconia Tab a510 and the Transformer Pad TF300.

The TF300 in particular is only $80 more than that Woot price while being much more than $80 more powerful (and also brand new instead of refurbished).

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've set up a couple HTC Flyer/Evo View tablets with this case and everyone is happy with it. Rotates to portrait and landscape, not that bulky, and provides good protection for the corners. Has a pen silo.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
So I picked up a new TF300 + dock from Amazon on Friday, and I'm loving it so far.

Of course, this is an upgrade from my Nook Color running CM7, so I'm still shocked by how a proper tablet handles things the Nook struggled with.

My only problem so far is the Netflix app. The interface for it is so clunky and unresponsive, it's painful to use. Has anyone else noticed the same thing, or is it something specific to mine?

Also, I'd love to pick up another charging cable to carry with me. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced place to get just the cable, without the wall adapter?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

ASSTASTIC posted:

An iPad 2 would be a much safer bet as a gift, so if your budget stretches that far go straight for that no questions asked. The worth of a tablet form factor device is heavily dependent on its apps, and while ICS is a solid tablet OS its ecosystem currently lags far behind the iPad. Unless you're specifically choosing hardware/prefer the OS, buying an Android tablet over an iPad is a gamble on whatever initiative Google has for turning the app situation around actually working.

If for whatever reason it specifically has to be a Android tablet, I'd personally get a Wifi Xoom before any of the others since its Google's flagship device. Regardless of whether their plan actually works or not, whatever Google refers to as "doubling down on tablets" will most likely involve the updates released next month/later on in the year. The US Wifi Xoom is the only current tablet guaranteed to get them as soon as they're available/at all since the software is directly maintained/deployed by them. Only thing to keep in mind is the weight compared to the current crop of tablets (though it still weighs less than the 3G iPad 1).

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I have had the original iPad since they first came out, but lately it has just been getting to big to use for reading. I like it but something smaller was in order. At first I was going to get the Kindle Fire, but I just didn't like the modified version of Android on it, so I ended up buying a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and I am really liking it so far. Its just the right size to hold for reading.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Porkchop Express posted:

I have had the original iPad since they first came out, but lately it has just been getting to big to use for reading. I like it but something smaller was in order. At first I was going to get the Kindle Fire, but I just didn't like the modified version of Android on it, so I ended up buying a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, and I am really liking it so far. Its just the right size to hold for reading.

Seriously, why not just get an e-ink reader? It really does beat the pants off of any LCD solution for reading. And they'll be a backlit Nook touch available in a couple of weeks.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Seriously, why not just get an e-ink reader? It really does beat the pants off of any LCD solution for reading. And they'll be a backlit Nook touch available in a couple of weeks.

Because i also use it for non-reading related tasks?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Porkchop Express posted:

Because i also use it for non-reading related tasks?

My point is if you already have a full size tablet it seems odd to buy a slightly smaller one for a task that's better served by a cheaper device.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Crackbone posted:

My point is if you already have a full size tablet it seems odd to buy a slightly smaller one for a task that's better served by a cheaper device.

I dont see how wanting something a little smaller but equally capable is odd. The iPad is great, buti just want something a little smaller and lighter.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

I dont see how wanting something a little smaller but equally capable is odd. The iPad is great, buti just want something a little smaller and lighter.

Sounds like your needs are being met in a big way, friend. I'm glad to hear success stories among all the cynicism here.

NihilistCanada
Sep 11, 2001

If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.
I am thinking of ordering one of the new dual core Ainol 7 Aurora II coming out in May or so.

The question is the Google Tablet really going to drop in the next couple of months? Should I wait. The Ainol should be around 190 or so.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Porkchop Express posted:

I returned my TF300 and picked up one of those too (Galaxy Tab 2 7.0). The form factor is just right. However, I really want either the Note 10.1 or the Google tablet, so I fully intent on returning this one to Best Buy with in the 30 day period, and either getting one of those, or hopefully the were will be solid news on them. However, I just found out that Telltale games has their games out for the iPad, so I'm seriously considering getting one for the Sam and Max series.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I ended up going through two tablets before I swallowed my nerd pride and just got a kindle. My original need was a tablet that I could play some of my games on but mostly use it for reading. I ended up reading on a heavy rear end tablet that was a pain in the rear end to hold up in bed when I was starting to get sleepy. Traded that in for a galaxy tab, which was really awesome but ended up primarily being a kindle. Like, I rarely did anything else on it so I decided to sell it before its price dropped significantly when cheaper, more efficient devices started being released.

Bought the 80 dollar kindle and haven't felt like I've lost anything at all. Plus, e-ink is loving aaaaaaamazing. I just wish the standard kindle had a light attached to it or a backlight you could toggle. I love it so much, I wish I picked one up ages ago.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

NihilistCanada posted:

I am thinking of ordering one of the new dual core Ainol 7 Aurora II coming out in May or so.

Please post a report if you should get one.
I was eyeing it's predecessor after a short introduction video on netbooknews.com, but put it on hold once the II was announced shortly after.

Another rather cheap 7" tablet I recently read suprisingly positive reports about is the Odys Xelio. At 99 Euro it cuts a couple of corners (no BT/GPS etc.), but it looks fine for what I would use it for.

1.2 GhZ A8 Cortex
512MB RAM, 4GB storage(+microSD)
800 x 480
ICS (and apparently rooted by default)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is there any way to stop my tf101 using only a small part of the wallpaper i choose and instead use the whole image?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

NihilistCanada posted:

The question is the Google Tablet really going to drop in the next couple of months? Should I wait.
All we have is rumors. They seem credible, but ultimately, they're rumors.

GreatKesh posted:

Is there any way to stop my tf101 using only a small part of the wallpaper i choose and instead use the whole image?
I actually answered that one recently in the phone thread:

Rastor posted:

It seems counterintuitive, but one way to get a static wallpaper is to install a live wallpaper that will do it, such as multipicture live wallpaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been on the fence to buy an Android tablet for a while now, but I'm not sure if I should. What I want is an Ice Cream Sandwhich tablet that is 10 inches and can be rooted/run custom firmware. Does this thing exist or should I just hold out?