Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

got dat wmd posted:

The little thing for the iPhone that comes with a fisheye and macro lens is pretty great, though. It just snaps on the side. Things like that don't really seem to exist for Androids because they all seem to mostly center-mount the camera. Manufacturers should take a hint and position the camera in a corner so there could be little accessories like that.

I don't think it has much to do with camera position as much as it has to do with the fact that a new Android device is out and EOL'ed every 37 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
No joke, there are going to be like 14 different Transformer variants by Q4.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scaramouche posted:

You guys who have Costco cards might get a kick out of this. Pretty sure its instore only, but a friend of mine's dad just picked this up. Because I wasn't there I'm not clear on all the details:
- Acer Iconia A500 for 1 cent
- Not sure about the monthly limit, maybe 1gb? Can be upgraded
- I believe like their 1 cent phone offer that you pay GST/HST on the 'real' price of the tablet and there's probably a setup fee
- Provider is either Roger's or Primus, not sure
- In Canada, no idea if US is doing it

Basically you're spending $480 plus tax, though it is at $20/mo. So I guess you can either see it as a slightly more pricy tablet ($449 at Costco) that you pay for monthly with free dataplan, or an expensive dataplan that gives you a free tablet, I'm not sure which.

WTF? I thought the A500 was WiFi only. Does it come with a 3G dongle or is it actually the A501?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scaramouche posted:

I've got no idea on that front, I haven't even seen it. My buddy did and he's pretty up on tablets since we both obsess over working up the guts to buy one. Here's the only Acer available on Costco's site:
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10361027

It might be like this:
http://infrastructure.it.ubc.ca/2011/12/22/rogers-offers-free-tablet-when-you-purchase-data-plan/

So it sounds like it isn't really Costco's deal, rather it's Rogers. Ironically their site is down for me (or Shaw won't let me visit it??? :tinfoil: ) so I can't confirm the plan but it might be this:
http://www.comparecellular.com/rogers-plans-and-essentials/british-columbia/plan-details.asp?RatePlanID=2643

If it's the provider deal then I guess this is useless outside of Canada, sorry guys.

A tablet on a wireless contract that doesn't have a cellular antenna.

Welp.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scaramouche posted:

the fact that you're basically eventually paying $480 over two years for a last generation tablet

Read this part out loud. It's important.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I had an A500 for a scant few months. It wasn't horrible but it definitely wasn't worth the price tag of $400. It felt solidly built, no creaks or anything but it was definitely too heavy. The physical buttons felt cheap, specifically the orientation lock and volume rocker. HDMI was fun to use before I ended up getting a Revue (youtube stuffs) but the port itself died about a month into ownership. I will say that the full sized USB port on it was pretty awesome for impromptu file sharing. The modding community seemed pretty lack luster as well but that only matters to a few people. I was going to RMA it for the dead HDMI port but realized I only really used it for video chatting so I sold it on craigslist.

It's a decent tablet that runs well but it isn't worth much and you'd better like what you get out of the box.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Really?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Or not reply to posts you don't like? I'm a ridiculous Android owner that loves to tinker with average-poor products but you people are loving insufferable. Post more about Android devices and less about comparisons.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
1) I used to an A500. I sold it because the dev community was utter poo poo. Has it improved? Are there some decent 3.2 ROM's or heck, an ICS port yet?

2) As Q2 rolls up and the plethora of CES announced devices start to trickle out, we will be faced with price drops on all kinds of current hardware. Does anybody have any bets on what will be the best current gen device getting EOL'ed that will be worth the cost of entry a couple of months from now?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Codiusprime posted:

I've had my Tab Plus for a few days now and I'm liking it very much. My only little complaint is the screen, I kind of wish it was a slightly higher resolution. Other than that it's nice. Though going back to HC after ICS is a little of a shock, though 3.2 seems pretty dang solid so far.

Have you seen any of the Acer A50x tablets? The resolution on my old 500 was pretty terrible but I have nothing to compare it against so I'm not sure if that's the norm or not.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, you just had to manually create them instead of dragging and dropping.

Made worse by the fact that you had to first create the folder then put apps in it a-la Windows style.

News of the day, Chrome Beta drops for ICS phones and tablets: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.android.chrome

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Codiusprime posted:

Edit: On the topic of folders, what the gently caress Honeycomb?

Hrm.... I don't recall anything about folder creation in HC. Is it gone or something? I had so much real estate I didn't even think about it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Crackbone posted:

:psyduck:

I don't think you understand what "I'll drop it now means".

It was the wall of text above "I'll drop it".

Where all the people with Touchpads running janky CM ports posting? I'm curious to see how that whole fire sale thing turned out for the modding community.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

SA-Mart.

Not gonna lie, :lol::lol:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Uthor posted:

Ugh, had an issue with the micro SD card in my og Transformer. Actually, its the second time this happened. I plugged into my PC, copied two new music albums to a music folder on the SD card, and unplugged the device. Pull up the file browser and only about 1/3 of my albums are showing up. Reboot, pull up the file browser, and the entire SD card is empty.

I've been having an issue where the SD card will randomly unmount and mount itself. It was especially acting up yesterday.

I haven't been looking too hard, but a cursorily glance on Google doesn't really come up with any other people with the same problem. It's not a huge loss (just mp3s files lost), but annoying as gently caress.

How do you know the SD card isn't making GBS threads the bed?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
edit: vvvv You're right, I jumped the gun.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 9, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

There is a mountain of them on SA-Mart lately (the honeymoon period is over) if you really want one.

Yeah for 300+ because people think they are worth money or something. Completely serious. I'm not going to pay that kind of money for something I know they got for a third of that. Maybe craigslisters are that stupid though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Frozen-Solid posted:

New Prime arrived today. Absolutely no light bleed, wifi is picking up a signal fine, and I'm about to test out the app restore feature. The only apps it couldn't back up were Google Earth, Fruit Ninja, and World of Goo. Only World of Goo bothers me because that means I lose all my progress. It seems the WoG developers didn't put the app data in a place you can get to if you're not root.

Its to prevent piracy because you know, Android = Piracy. Does it not offer Google cloud restore? It's an option for app devs to use and it's a shame more don't use it. I know the Hexage guys use it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

My Linux Rig posted:

So similar as in "does the same thing, kind of, but you have to open a terminal and".

This.

It was added and even had a GUI for it but for some stupid rear end reason Google removed but left the ADB interface for it behind.

:wtc:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

We're not doing the "angry opinions about Apple based on misinformation or old impressions" derail this week, thanks.

Can I still angrily post about Google finally implementing an actual desktop backup interface and then later half rear end removing it?

:argh:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm guessing they want you to back up to ~*the cloud*~, which maybe is in the works and they didn't want to confuse users with an intermediate system. That's probably giving Google too much credit, though.

If it's anything like how apps are supposed to restore themselves on a fresh install it will work exactly 5% of the time. I CAN'T WAIT.

Wasn't it leaked that Google was doing some sort of cloud storage thing soon? Drive-something-or-another?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rastor posted:

Actually it really does back up apps and app data, without the apps having to opt into Google Cloud Sync(TM) or whatever it's called that only 5% of apps have chosen to opt into.

Agreed that it's presently an awful ugly command-line-only hack of a feature. Hopefully in the future there will be some kind of syncing to your Google Drive or whatever they're rumored to be working on.

That's the problem. On Day Zero GNex media phones there was a graphical option in Settings that was supposed to tie into the adb back up command but for some janky reason Google removed it. I have a hard time believing they want to go all cloud on something like that. That's a big chunk of data.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rastor posted:

Google lets you upload, for free, up to 20,000 MP3s and an unlimited number of photos up to 2048 pixels along the longest edge. They really seem to want a really huge amount of data in the cloud.

I'm talking about data of cellular although I guess it would be pretty trivial to make sure there's a warning dialog with the option to connect wifi.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just noticed the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus just dropped $50 to $300 at Best Buy. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is ICS. Do you think it'll ever get an ICS update?

Don't ever buy a device hoping it will be different/better later on.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Codiusprime posted:

Samsung has said

This needs to be the IYG forum title.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scaramouche posted:

Don't know if anyone's posted this already, but Toshiba is apparently flirting with the idea of a 13.3" Win 8 tablet:
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/03/06/toshiba_outs_monster_13_inch_tablet_concept/

It's good to see that the race to make the hugest thing ever isn't just an Android phone thing.*

*Literally dripping with sarcasm

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ordered a 16gig with case. I really do enjoy the 7" form factor and that's probably the biggest reason I sold my A500 (the second being it was an insufferable piece of poo poo). I would have liked to save the $50 and go with the 8gig but my Nexus S sits at about 8-9 gigs used with light use so erring on the side of caution.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

Also, I really like the fact that the Nexus 7 uses USB charging. One charger to rule them all!

It'll probably charge slow as piss but it is a nice addition.

I'm a goon that drinks nothing but Mountain Dew. My piss is very slow.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Optimus Subprime posted:

but did anyone else in the United States notice that you couldn't pre-order the cover as well?

My order did. :confused:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
That's weird. It was definitely available as an accessory on the 27th.

(from my receipt)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Chocolate posted:

Am I stupid to think that if I buy a nexus 7 it can replace my laptop?

Yes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
HECHO EN 'MERICA

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Your will power and intelligent shopping skills are awful but your dog is pretty awesome. Post pictures of it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Ouch.

I love that the fanboys are trying to downplay and very significant problem.

quote:

Does it ruin the tablet? Of course not. Is it one of those things that just cannot be unseen? Yep. Then again, for $200, we weren't expecting the world out of the Nexus 7's display, though I can't say we were expecting this, either. We have no idea if this is affecting all units, but two suggests at least some significant portion have this problem. It could very well just be a natural behavior of the display panel ASUS and Google chose. We don't know - and we won't know more until ASUS or Google comment.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is the Android app ecosystem still pretty limited in terms of well-designed, tablet specific apps? That's what's stopping me from springing for a Nexus 7.

Yes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kynetx posted:

Most apps made for phones stretch gracefully to fill a tablet screen. I can't think of any that are lessened by being used on a tablet.

What? Did this suddenly stop being a problem in the last 6 months I haven't owned an Android tablet?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Possibly. It still has to survive appeals.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

randyest posted:

Am I missing something or does that android community post just link to a TechInsights teardown that lists the "major components" without any prices, then android community somehow jumps to a final total BOM cost without breakdown of prices or any justification whatsoever?

Might want to wait for isuppli to do a proper analysis before drawing any conclusions.

tbh the Android community will say literally anything that supports their current viewpoint.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Optimus Subprime posted:

So, does anyone have an idea when the play store preorders ship for the Nexus 7?

Not really, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Hoppin Tin posted:

but isn't that null as soon as you root and get customs roms and ports?

Yes but that makes a huge assumption that the device has a sizable and talented after market community.