Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rastor posted:

It's an iPad 2 that's thinner, lighter, faster, and runs Android apps instead of iOS apps.

It's also 1280x800 which is 16:10 instead of 1024x768 which is 4:3 and not as good for watching widescreen video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Exclusive to ios so far :\

What in the goddamn gently caress if I saw someone with a lens like that connected to their phone (Apple or otherwise) I would seriously consider kicking them in the balls and throwing that poo poo on the ground. If you're carrying a lens like that around you should have a decent camera to attach it to.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

El Duke posted:

"This tablet is having tons of issues and I'm thinking about returning it so I can buy the next version of this tablet."

The TF201 has 2 specific issues that stem from a design flaw which is remedied in the TF700T or whatever their part numbers are.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Something's been bugging me; why the rush to retina displays? I have a 15" Toughbook with a 1920x1200 display and the pixel density is too high. I find myself leaning in and squinting all the time. A 10" or 7" tablet would be miserable.

Android is supposed to know both the resolution and the pixel density, so a 1920x1200 desktop on a 10.1" screen should have the same scale as a 1280x800 desktop on the same size screen, but the image will be sharper because more pixels are used to draw the same resources.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rastor posted:

iPhone, iPhone 4, iPad, soon iPad 3 if it has a doubled resolution as rumored. That's 4 resolutions to worry about.

There's really only two resolutions as far as developers are concerned. 320x480 for phones and 1024x768 for pads. The higher-resolution devices abstract away the extra pixels. They kind of worked themselves into a corner with 1024x768 because there's not nice multipliers for it, but they're making it work.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I can't pretend to know how Android tablet apps work, but between an iPhone and iPad, the versions are typically designed differently to take advantage of the differences in the devices. Making a list view show more stuff on a tablet is fine (and certainly better than just magnifying a phone app), but it's kind of missing the point of using a tablet.

If you look at the development page linked earlier, Android applications are meant to pretty much work the same way, but they're supposed to know how to display based on what the device reports in terms of resolution and density. Instead of making separate applications for phones and tablets, you just make one that has the components for both. In theory, this should be better for users, but harder for developers. You also have to have developers that actually care about doing this.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

It's really more akin to building a "native website".

Web developers have been dealing with this poo poo for years. Android also makes a few things easier than web developers. You can't count on someone having their browser any particular size, or even keeping it that size and browsers also behave differently from one another. Android devices have a relatively small set of resolutions/rations and don't magically change screen size while programs are running. Android should also render things the same regardless of device. Pixel densities do vary, but this is largely handled internally, so I'd consider it a non-issue.

I'm sure it's easier only having to develop for two resolutions/ratios, but making dynamic/fluid layouts is something people have been doing long before Android.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

O lordy, what would we do without you O keeper of the iOS information?

If you look at his posts in this thread, he doesn't mention Apple unless quoting a post that does. His other posts are largely about failings of specific Android products, but that belongs in this thread, doesn't it?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Crackbone posted:

For app makers, it's a loving nightmare, because if you want your app to scale gracefully and maintain the proper layout you have to build and test for a huge range of devices, and since there's no restrictions, when a new device with a new resolution comes out, if you didn't plan for that there's a good chance your current implementation won't work for it. This means you get poo poo like the Skype app.

Web developers have been doing this before iOS and Android existed. Android layouts work a lot like web layouts. It doesn't take much effort to make a scalable layout. Since many developers don't care, and there's no approval system for the Android market, we get a lot of applications that behave poorly.
I think a possible solution would be for developers to pay a small amount of money for Google to evaluate their application and then it could get some kind of mark of approval if it meets whatever requirements, but I can't see that happening.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Sure for images. But you still have the issue that tablet apps can and should work differently than phone apps.

The same application can display and behave differently depending on resolution/density. If the application does not work differently when it should, this is a problem the developer needs to fix.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Crackbone posted:

I though most of the Tegra 2 big name brands (including the original TF) were better built than the Prime. Regardless of weight/thickness/etc, they all seemed to be much out-of-the-box defective than the Prime.

I really think it was a rush to get it out the door. I hope the TF700T will be a much more solid product, like the original Transformer. It seems like they're already fixing some (ha!) of the manufacturing problems in more recent Primes.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I am working on a TF prime GPS solution that will fix it once and for all.

Basically i'm going to rip off the pogo pin, wire in mini coax and epoxy a small RP-SMA coax connector to the back of the Prime. We should be able to use a standard Wifi antenna off of this and I expect great GPS coverage once this is done. Moreover, if the GPS reception isn't sufficient, you can swap and try different antennas.

If anybody is in the AR/OK/MO/KS regional area and wants a free GPS fix, let me know. I can't guarantee, but hey, CPR on a dead guy, right? I intend to charge $99 for the fix, here's a chance to get it for free. PM me, or email to jonny290 at gmail .

Holy poo poo I thought your last post was a joke but you really meant it. Shouldn't pretty much every Prime be within the warranty period? I've read the ones with the later revisions don't have the same problem.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It was listed as a feature. Now instead of people getting angry at the company and demanding satisfaction, they are taking it up the poopshoot and trying to fix it by themselves, most likely voiding the warranty, and the company gets away with it.

It's bad that it happened, but it's not like buyers are forced to attempt these repairs. There are plenty of reports of people returning Primes due to non-working GPS and other problems. That doesn't excuse problems in the product, but it also doesn't make ASUS a lovely company for making a product that people would rather repair than return.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Seems like anyone not using what you're using makes you guys mad. Sorry you're so angry not everything is apple??

Everyone was doing fine and then you had to fall for this poo poo. He's just trying to get people like you riled up, goddamn. Don't get this thread locked again.

This thread has been helpful to me, and is the reason I don't have a Prime right now. It's loving broken and I'm going to wait and see if their next offering is any better.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

fondue posted:

Transfer was slow ... maybe because I don't have a USB 2.0 port? I ended up using the micro sd card to do it. I've just left the card in the tablet. I've read others complaining about how much it sticks out, etc,... I've not had a problem. I guess my tablet protector is thick enough that the card never gets bumped.

Your computer most certainly has a USB 2.0 port, the standard came out over a decade ago. What kind of speeds were you seeing?

Jonny 290 posted:

If any tabbers have any problems with their units state them and we will try to find solutions and make you a little happier with your purchase :)

Solutions meaning paying you $100 to crack open their still-under-warranty tablet and slather some solder in it?

Since we're finding out about these loose connections/pogo sticks/whatever in the Prime, does that mean the metal back only plays a small part in the poor GPS/WiFi reception, or was that a red herring?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

I have root access and some kind of riced out custom ROM (Revolver 3.11) on my tablet, plus a hilarious 50% overlock (to 1.5 ghz). And you know what, it's still laggy.

It's not like I'm a total idiot; I've been reading this thread since the beginning. There is a point in any consumer electronics device where further investment in browsing SA and other forums for the best PDF reader (I use iOS devices as a benchmark for how smooth PDFs should render) reaches a point of diminishing return. This isn't running a modern game like Shadowgun. This is rendering a goddamn document. If Google is serious about taking on Apple they really need to get their heads in the loving game.

Tegra 2 tablets will probably never have the kind of performance you are looking for. It's possible your "riced out" custom ROM is making things worse, too, especially since others in this very thread aren't having the same issues.

Google has "gotten their heads in the game" when they released ICS. It's a vast improvement over all earlier versions of Android and several sites that aren't Android biased have written reviews saying it's becoming a serious competitor to iOS in terms of usability and polish. That said, chances are pretty low that the upgrade is going to change your mind when it happens.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

When's he going to post what the device is? And how well does it handle documents stock, when it's not running "some kind of custom ROM" that sounds like a "performance enhancer"? Overclocking and instability have always gone hand in hand in the computer world, so it wouldn't be a surprise to find out that's not helping either. Heat dissipation problems would account for... all of his symptoms, actually. Including the random reboots.

He has an original Tegra 2 Transformer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

cheeze posted:

tablet

Your post sounds...spammy. I'm going to ask some specific questions:

You say "The operating system will be stock," what OS? I'm guessing Android, but what version? How do you engineer a performance increase when you didn't write the OS? Is your company building the chips that go in the device, or buying them from somewhere else? How is this going to make better performance? Where is it going to be manufactured?

Why only 512MB RAM? Even the HTC Rhyme, a crappy single-core 3G phone, has 768MB. Surely 1GB can't be that much more expensive, and would increase application-switching performance. I can see a lot of people wanting to play games or other things with lots of assets that need to be loaded at once, and Android is going to blow that away if you switch out to check your email. 512MB of RAM can hold 512MB of data and that's it.

What are the outer dimensions?

The screen size is 10 inches, but at what resolution? Is it an IPS panel?

As for saving power by using a dual-core processor, I thought the new Tegra 3 processors were more efficient because they used their slower core the vast majority of the time and only lit up the others when performance was needed. The quad-core OMAP5 processors are supposed to do the same thing. How is your processor different?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Well played.

Haha gently caress I knew it sounded fishy.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Codiusprime posted:

I don't get it :(

Rastor posted:

512MB, dual core, 10 inch screen... so it's competing with the iPad 2?

Rastor posted:

so it's competing with the iPad 2?

Rastor posted:

it's the iPad 2

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rastor posted:

ICS fixed the problem.

Didn't HC have hardware acceleration as well? People were still reporting problems with that on the last page. Or are you talking about something else?

e:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

There was a specific post by a Google engineer that explained the differences between Android's rendering method and the one used by every other mobile OS. I'll try to find it.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 10, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

https://plus.google.com/105051985738280261832/posts/2FXDCz8x93s

Here's the +post that explains how Android renders things differently than other mobile OSs, UI smoothness, etc...

e: well gently caress. Beaten severely.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

I can tell you right now that things have improved since the iPod days and using an iphone/iPad on a PC is pretty dead simple

But not only that, we're talking about Android tablets here. Have you seen how people waste their time on them here? Adding wires to the gps to make it usable, rooting them, flashing them with hacked up roms, disassembling them and adding cardboard to them, etc.

If time is seriously a premium for you, or you don't like complicated and counter intuitive gadgets, then I really wouldn't suggest an Android tablet.

I don't think anyone in this thread is actually doing any of the hardware modifications, but "Don't buy a prime" is pretty solid advice.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any way to make Chrome on a tablet report itself as a desktop browser? They put that "request desktop version" in the stock browser but inexplicably it seems missing in Chrome.

No. This has been a pretty common complaint. Plus it doesn't do Flash.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I guess having the real deal built-in to the tablet is cool, but couldn't something like a bluetooth stylus be made to communicate pressure information back to the tablet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I was talking about making a bluetooth stylus earlier and it turns out they already exist!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonatherton/jaja-worlds-first-pressure-sensitive-stylus-for-ip

Really no reason to have this as a feature of the device when a pen like this should work for most tablets.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

That's the style with the delicate goofy circle on the tip. I wonder how you store it?

The digitizer allows the tablet to receive information beyond position. The stylus is capable of capturing that information and transmitting it to the tablet via bluetooth.

Why did Samsung make an otherwise identical tablet when they could have made a pen that will work on current and future devices? If the current ones are lovely then all the more reason to make a better one.

I'd probably store the stylus in the same place I store my tablet.

e: I guess they've been trying
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/28/galaxy-tab-bluetooth-stylus-emerges-up-for-49-99-pre-order/

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 15, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

SlayVus posted:

Does anyone know what the RMA stauts "Waiting-[WB5] Wait for Repair\Test\Aging" means?

It was on "Repairing" yesterday. I understand what Test could mean, but Aging I have no clue.

They're aging it to see if the holes form again, your tablet was infected with swiss cheese bacteria.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Toady posted:

The DS came out before the iPhone popularized touch screens and gestures. A stylus is an increasingly niche input method these days.

The first DS came with a strap with a plastic bump that you could loop around your finger for more precise input, and many games could play just fine with a finger. I'm pretty sure the stylus was given mainly for drawing or typing on the virtual keyboard. The move to capacitive screens is really what helped get rid of the stylus for normal usage.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Resistive screens work fine with a finger. They can only take one input, though, which is a bigger limiter.

They also require pressure, which makes accuracy more difficult.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

So its just a prime thats been built properly? Guessing they arn't going to let prime buyers get plastic backs.

It might have 3G/LTE but it I'm guessing they just swapped the back from one that stops radio waves to one that stops people from looking at it. drat that's ugly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Apple releases an iPad once per year. It's happening next month and people are going to buy the poo poo out of it. You may not want an iPad, but it will still have a huge effect on the market. Other tablets are probably going to have to drop in price, just to compete with the iPad 2, which will probably also drop in price. It's pretty much the worst time to buy a tablet. For Android it's even more worthwhile to wait because we're finally at the point where hardware can keep up (Tegra 3) and the only tablet with one (Transformer Prime) has major design flaws.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Can I still angrily post about Google finally implementing an actual desktop backup interface and then later half rear end removing it?

:argh:

I'm guessing they want you to back up to ~*the cloud*~, which maybe is in the works and they didn't want to confuse users with an intermediate system. That's probably giving Google too much credit, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If it's anything like how apps are supposed to restore themselves on a fresh install it will work exactly 5% of the time. I CAN'T WAIT.

Wasn't it leaked that Google was doing some sort of cloud storage thing soon? Drive-something-or-another?

Drive is supposed to bring all of your cloud stuff together in one place, so your music, documents, etc… all share the same space. Another reason for the unified privacy policy.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

CycleGeek posted:

With revenue down like this they *have* to release something in Q1 2012 in order to not make this quarter a total disaster.

But I'm open to alternative theories.

Maybe they've determined that rushing something out the door isn't the best idea after the TF201 problems.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

alt+tab does work, but the only alt key is on the right side of the space bar, so it's kind of awkward

Why does a keyboard for an Android device have an "Alt" key?

e: does holding down the home key do anything?

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 24, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

I don't think you can pull 15A though standard micro USB

It's volts, not amps. A tablet that could pull 15A at 5V would be pretty impressive.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ModestMuse posted:

They use proprietary cables to allow them to charge the tablet faster.

That's a terrible reason. More watts = faster charging and you can get that by upping volts or amps. Yes, higher current can burn up a cable, but you can get a decent charge rate at 5v without going up that high.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

They could have designed it to use 5v like ios devices and when you have a bad ac adapter you can just go buy anything made for an ipad instead of having to order their own $30 power brick.

The iPad has its own proprietary connector so that wouldn't do any good unless your cable was still in good shape, in which case any number of 110VAC->5VDC adapters would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

The ipad chargers arn't hard wired. Its just a brick with a usb connector thats designed to put out 2.1a.

That's why I mentioned "any number of 110VAC->5VDC adapters." Similar adapters are made by Samsung, RIM and several third parties. That's still doesn't solve the problem of the proprietary connector on the device itself. It's not so bad with Apple since the cables are easy to find due to ubiquity, but other manufacturers without a large install base are just being jerks by making a new connector.