Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

Anyone have any feedback on the HTC Flyer? I can get them super cheap through work and they have an official HC Rom out now.

I had one for a couple months and it was fantastic for a 7" tablet. Very little lag, awesome screen, good build quality. I ended up trading it for a 10" tablet, but I'd have no problems recommending it to friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

Kynetx posted:

My experience wasn't as good. I found the pen interface to be lacking, but that may have been corrected in the ICS update. Give it a try first.
You mean the Honeycomb update? The pen can now be used as a stylus without activating the "scribbling" mode, but it's no more useful than a finger for navigation. HC brought support for 3rd-party apps to use the Magic Pen pressure sensitivity- I found Quill to be an excellent replacement for the stock Notes app for drawing.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Does anyone have an Acer Iconia A100? Was seriously considering a Kindle Fire, but the A100 is only $50 more currently.

I bought one and returned it to the store after about two days. The LCD has infuriatingly small viewing angles, and the frame is flimsy creaking plastic.

Peppersmith fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 1, 2012

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm in the market for some type of case, stand, and screen protector.

I've set up a couple HTC Flyer/Evo View tablets with this case and everyone is happy with it. Rotates to portrait and landscape, not that bulky, and provides good protection for the corners. Has a pen silo.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

bawfuls posted:

So is there a way to get pdf or epub files from my computer onto my Nexus 7 and showing up in the google play books app? or do I have to download another ebook reader?

I'd rather have books all in one place, even though some will be loaded on the device from my computer and others downloaded from the google play store.

Not yet. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Fabrik is a decent cloud ebook reader that will sync from your Dropbox folder on your PC to all your devices, as well as between devices.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Crossposting from the Android App thread. Maybe you guys have some ideas:

I recently got rid of my laptop and built a new PC so my CM9 Touchpad has been relegated to counter top duty. I'm looking for a certain kind of app that I'm almost certain has to exist, but I have no idea what it'd be called. A dock app? Apps for wall-mounted tablets? Basically something that's always on and shows gmail notifications or auto updates twitter/RSS feeds in a way that can be read from a few feet away. I've been using the standard Android clock app but I feel like there's got to be something that displays more useful information out there.

It's pricey, but Chameleon Launcher is a very attractive homescreen that's designed to show off widgets (gmail, twitter, music, etc). I didn't like it as a primary homescreen, but as a digital display I think it'd work great.

You could try a screen-reader for reading out RSS feeds? Kind of like a robot radio.