Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

fondue posted:

Sup fellow ASUS Transformer Prime owner!

I had the identical experience; it just worked right out of the box, wow! Within a couple of weeks there was an over the air update that changed the user interface a bit ... so now it's even better! In fact, I swear it nearly doubled the battery life as well.

To me, a device with only half the advertised battery life isn't really "working right out the box", but to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Playbook sales are booming, great success!

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Toady posted:

I have no problems with the smooth resistive scaling of this Android app.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Rastor posted:

Which is exactly why the Android developer guides have extensive documentation about how to create one app which works differently on phones and tablets.

This is what you need to do to make apps work well across very different form factors like phones and tablets, you can't just write a phone UI and call it a day or your app will look terrible against dedicated tablet apps no matter how sophisticated the scaling algorithms.

So can you basically bundle two different apps in the same app on Android like you can with universal apps in iOS?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Codiusprime posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n5Qfxk-x80

Made a little video of me opening a new PDF on my Galaxy Tab Plus and tooling around a bit. I apologize for the out of focusness in some parts, also when I pinch to zoom that is the camera going out of focus momentarily.

I would be very frustrated with the experience if I had to deal with PDFs on a daily basis for something like work. For me though, the most extreme PDFs I download are menus for local restaurants so it isn't really an issue for me at all.

What reader app is that?

Edit: and is that supposed to be a good example of PDF reading on Android tablets?

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 10, 2012

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Craptacular! posted:

I think the sad lesson of the Prime is that as long as your first on the market with bleeding edge technology, early adopters will shoot themselves in the foot while crying that it hurts.

I don't think working GPS is really "bleeding edge technology" here in 2012.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Vagrancy posted:

I wouldn't go as far as "COMPLETELY". You still need iTunes to transfer files into apps, and Wifi sync is a bit on the clunky side at times meaning it's often faster/less hassle to just plug it in.

I don't have a ton of apps that use documents, but if I click a download link or attachment for .xls files, .epub files or .pdf files, I can download them right to the appropriate app. From my limited experience with the iOS SDK I know you can register file extensions globally, so as long as your app registers its extension you should be able to put files on the device from the browser or from DropBox or from emails or what have you.

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 13, 2012

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Splizwarf posted:

Speaking as a guy who ships stuff for a living, without a tracking number you're at the absolute mercy of the Postal Service. Tracking codes are the only defense.

Do you use a shipping company or do you just hurl boxes across the continent?

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Kynetx posted:

I hope so. With competition, everyone wins.

This thread says otherwise.

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, my bad, forgot "party" also means binge drinking and trying to get laid. "Get-together with several friends where we have a nice dinner and hang out" is what I meant, but it's so unwieldy. Maybe if I made it into an acronym? :v:

Like ASD or DKE!

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

randyest posted:

iPad2 launched on 3/11/2011 at $729 for the 32G 3G model and on 3/13/2011 iSuppli tore it down and put the BOM at $326 for the 32G/3G model. That's a cost of $403, or ~55% profit. Add in manufacturing and that's only another ~$7.

That's a strong analysis, it's only missing the costs for Apple to design, distribute and market the iPad, the costs to develop the operating system, build retail stores, billion dollar data centers, and a couple other things that somehow lead to Apple's net margins being somewhere in the 23% region instead of 55%.

That's only a 140% error though, so kudos, by IYG standards that's a bullseye!

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

randyest posted:

You're so right, as long as you completely ignore context and consider 23% margin to be "tiny" and agree with the claim that ipads at launch are sold "for the cost of parts and manufacture" which is the claim to which I replied. Here it is again so you can revel in the awesome IYG claim you're defending:

You replied to that post:

randyest posted:

iPad2 launched on 3/11/2011 at $729 for the 32G 3G model and on 3/13/2011 iSuppli tore it down and put the BOM at $326 for the 32G/3G model. That's a cost of $403, or ~55% profit. Add in manufacturing and that's only another ~$7.

This is wrong and dumb all on its own, no matter how wrong and dumb the original post was as well. Readers can't be expected to follow the chain of wrong and dumb for every post in this thread all the way back to its roots.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ciabatta posted:

Android is about freedom, Apple is about doing what you're told. Therefore, I believe you ascribed lack of control to the wrong group. Android tablets are like an open U.S. election, where you have the freedom of choice and control over the ultimate outcome. iPads are like totalitarian states, where there is a sham of freedom in the form of fixed elections (i.e. changing your iPad's wallpaper), but ultimately you have no meaningful input, options, or prospects of an improved life for your children.

This is an excellent analogy between the American electorate and the Android ecosystem. It's worth nothing that in both systems, only simpletons at the bottom of the food chain believe that the people in charge have their best interests at heart, and that their "freedom" to choose will result in some meaningful difference in their quality of life, yet these people are always the most vocal and passionate advocates of their particular affiliation.

Yes, quite. :pipe:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm not sure that 2 of the top 5 Android devices on this list are e-readers is good for the Android ecosystem.

Also :lol: at the Touchpad being 1 of those 5 Android devices, and the Playbook's dropping numbers year-over-year.

Is this chart seriously suggesting 50% of tablet owners own Android tablets?

What corner of the Samsung cafeteria did they get their sample from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Thermopyle posted:

At first glance, the conclusion should be that we can't make any conclusion because it's all anecdotes.

Part of my non-SA life involves cognitive biases, statistics, philosophy of rational thought, etc, so, thread, take this as expert advice:

Anecdotal information is worse than no data at all. It's not that anecdotal data moves you a little bit closer to the truth and scientific data moves you a lot closer to the truth. It's that anecdotal data puts a blindfold on you, spins you around a hundred times, and drops you into the deepest trench in the ocean. The worst part is that because of the way our mind works, anecdotal data feels like its making you more aware.

So, every time you feel like posting a story about how your uncle's brothers N7 broke so there's some sort of problem, or how so many people post in here about their broken N7, or every time you try to make some sort of conclusion based on that sort of poo poo, remember that you're getting dumber and you're making everyone else dumber by posting it. It's even worse if you say "I know this is an anecdote, but...". By doing that you feel like, and you help make others feel like, you've accounted for the anecdotal nature of your "evidence". You haven't. You think you have, but your brain doesn't work that way.

(Also, just because I say this doesn't mean its easy. Hell, I'm immersed in this how-to-think stuff for hours every day, and I still catch myself messing up on this.)

This is great, can you add it to the OP?