Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Plenty of phone apps look like absolute poo poo when I try to run them on my tablet, regardless of what scaling/stretching/whatever I set. If being able to sell it again was what spurred developers into making properly functioning and looking tablet versions of their apps, I'd be fine with paying for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Rastor posted:

And I thought the "I don't mind being ripped off, I'm supporting the platform!" thought pattern was only found among deluded BlackBerry fans.

I don't care about supporting the platform. If I'm going to use an app, I don't want to be distracted by how it looks like poo poo. I'm willing to pay money for it to not look like poo poo. How is this a hard concept to understand?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

The scaling on Android from a phone to a tablet size sucks. Lots of apps look like poo poo, with weird tiny icons scattered around the screen. Scaling is a necessity because various Android devices have different resolutions, but scaling an app designed for a phone up to tablet size isn't a "feature," or at least no more than the "iPad magnifying glass" is a feature.
This has nothing to do with the iPad, except to the extent that other people are saying "wow iPads suck they don't have scaling." I don't own or want or care about iPads, I love my Transformer and like Android in general, but holding scaling up as an awesome amazing feature that sets Android apart is bullshit.

e: This is just my opinion and maybe I happen to have only tried apps that don't scale well.

zachol fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 7, 2012

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I think it's more that people are saying to wait for the iPad 3 to see what the Android tablet response is, even if you have no intention of ever getting an iPad.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I keep saying this, but my original Transformer is fantastic.
I'm not in the market for a new tablet, but if I was (maybe if my current one broke?) I probably would've just picked up the Prime, no questions asked, if I hadn't heard about the mess in this thread.
As it stands, if someone asked me "hey what tablet should I get also I don't want an iPad" right now, I'd say "wait for the TF700T and see how that pans out."
Maybe the TF101 was a fluke or something and Asus is usually poo poo, but the promise of "like an original Transformer but better" sounds great, and it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to deliver.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

As far as I can tell, ICS made my Transformer a little jittery and slow in places (although admittedly much snappier in others), and replaced the old font with some new horrible one. Also the UI is all glossy and shiny and bleh.
Guess it's finally time to look into rooting it.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I have no idea. I do realize it's extremely subtle, though, and I'm the sort of person who gets whiny over stuff like this.
Also I do recognize their intention of "make it easier to see on small screens" is legitimate, and think they were successful. Zoomed out tiny text is actually much more legible now than from what I remember. I think it might be that the curves are much tighter? That would allow it to be thinner and smaller while still being legible.

I stand by my dislike of the glossiness/shininess, though. Bleh.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ohmigosh ICS has spellcheck. All is forgiven. I mean I'm still going to try and figure out how to change this dumb font and stuff but still. Wow.
Also text selection is significantly better.
Also also ASUS seems to have gotten the mouse pointer back as an option (for when you're using the trackpad, instead of the circle).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

The more I read about this font the more I think I must dislike it because I'm using it on a tablet. On a phone it's probably fine, but a tablet lets enough of it onscreen in a single line that something about it gets grating.
Like, there're fonts that are great for smaller notes or short lines or whatever, that you would hate to have to read a book in. This is one of them. For me, at least.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

That looks pretty cool and seems like a nice way to tide people over until we get tiny unnoticeable bluetooth headsets.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I've only got the original Transformer. I essentially use this thing as a netbook that I can occasionally turn into a tablet if I want. It's in the dock 90% (ish?) of the time.
If that sounds like an alright idea, I'd go for it. If you're just going to use it like an actual tablet and dock it sometimes... eh.
I mean, it's certainly been worth it for me, but that's because this is my only laptop-like thing. If you already have a laptop you use and just want a tablet as well I wouldn't bother.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Asus usually makes good products. I am super happy with my Transformer, I've got a motherboard from them, and the handful of people I've talked to that have one of their laptops are fans. Personally I'm willing to chalk up the Prime fiasco as "some idiot dictated that they ship it before it was ready."
Although at this point I certainly wouldn't preorder anything from them. I don't preorder stuff anyway, but I extra-special wouldn't preorder from Asus.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Star War Sex Butt posted:

Their support (whether RMA, phone support, driver downloads) have always been terrible though. Their download site would routinely be down and always seem to 404 when you needed a driver the most. They finally improved it about a year ago after a decade of being poo poo.

They're still my favorite motherboard even with terrible support.

This and the story about the cracked screen are a real bummer to hear.
Like, I'd even be willing to get a Prime if I knew that I could count on a smooth RMA process, but this just sounds... ugh.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

quote:

That is not to say that the Transformer Pad is cheaply built, but it almost feels like it’s missing a few screws somewhere. Sure, tablets are not made to be bent or twisted, but I know that if you drop this slate from waist high onto something harder than carpet, you may be out a few hundred dollars. The casing is easily separated from the screen with a fingernail and holding the tablet just isn’t all that fun.

quote:

This sort of ties in with the construction part, but that just wasn’t enough to portray the sense of worry I had when holding the tablet. For example, when firmly (not too firmly) pressing on the backside of the slate, you can see the front display begin to bleed in front from where you are holding it.

Well poo poo.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I'm much more concerned about build quality than speeds or specs or whatever. My original TF101 has been great, but it's already starting to wear out. Headphone jack is wonky, bumping it sometimes (?) makes it restart, the dock occasionally just stops working, etc.
I mean I'm a bit rough on it, it's not like the thing was defective, but, at least for the way I use a tablet, "it feels cheap" is a huge red flag. This TF101 didn't feel cheap when I first got it, it felt solid (still mostly does, doesn't flex or anything), so I'd be really worried where something that starts out feeling kinda cheap would end up in a year.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No that's pretty much the definition of "defective" but by all means keep lying to yourself.

I think there's a difference between "defective" and just being kinda crappy.
It's not like I'm happy with it. I knew it was going to break eventually, I just expected it to be more like a couple years instead of eight or nine months.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

tikan posted:

Why buy something with the assumption that it will break?

I expect most consumer electronics to break fairly early. Really, I expect most things in general to break early; if something ends up lasting a long time, that's a happy surprise.
Again, I'm not happy with how early this specific thing is breaking. It should've lasted longer. I suppose maybe that does mean it's defective.
What I meant by "this isn't defective" is that I don't think my particular TF101 has an unusual specific defect.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

My point is, the TF101 "feels" good, but seems to be having problems (at least mine is), so hearing stuff like "you can flex it" and "if you press the back it bleeds through" (which you certainly can't do with this thing) about the Pad is scary. Maybe they prioritized internals but I kinda doubt it.
I think I might be rough on technology, but even then, bleh. It's especially disappointing because, besides the build quality, it's a fantastic tablet. I like the fundamental form factor, and if they could, I dunno, "toughen it up a little" or whatever, it would be perfect.

e: Or maybe this is an outlier. I don't know.

zachol fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Yeah...dare I ask what is Going on with All This?

Kirk's a pretty cool guy.