Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

golgo13sf posted:

I may be overestimating the time, but in all seriousness, how much time should be invested into wading through the very first page on XDA. I'm including that time in my estimate.

Absolutely none if you don't want to? What's your point.

Edit: To be clearer, absolutely nothing in that image was anything other than optional modding stuff.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
I would also add that if someone is considering the Nook colour or whatever instead of an iPad or latest greatest android tablet V7, they probably aren't earning 50 dollars an hour, which is why spending 30 minutes or even four hours working on making it fully functional when it costs much less is a good deal for them even when you factor in "how valuable is your time argument".

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Toady posted:

Wouldn't Lego blocks be cheaper? You've completely missed the point of post-PC appliance devices.

So in order to want a tablet form factor, you therefore have to not want to tinker with things? Also loads of stuff is more expensive than lego that people like to tinker with.

Install Gentoo posted:

It's stupid to claim features that Apple hasn't claimed yet.

Particularly 2048x1536 which was also "supposed to be" on the iPad 2.

At the time the iPad 2 was rumoured it would have been prohibitively expensive, now tablets are being announced approaching that resolution anyway, and the jump from 1920x1080 to 2048x1536 seems pretty close to the jump from 640x480 to 960x640.
It really isn't that unlikely that the iPad will have it since super high res displays have already been latched onto as great marketing features by apple.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Are there even any 1920x1080 tablets actually out?

No but neither is the iPad 3, they'l be out by the time it is.

Install Gentoo posted:

(ps the iphone was 480x320 to 960x640, not 640x480 to 960x640. It's quadruple the pixel count, like 2048x1536 from 1024x768 would be, not double as 640x480 to 960x640 would be)

I was referring to the common resolution of other phones at the time with 640x480, not the essentialy 3 year old resolution of the previous iPhone.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

eric posted:

Can Google keep manufacturers from using Android and make them themselves or is it too late to put the genie back in the bottle?

Why would they want to do that considering the huge success android has been for them .

Note I am merely talking about commercial success so hopefully this won't cause the mass controversy that asking for advice about android tablets in the android tablet thread seems to cause.

Theoretically they could stop giving developers new versions but since the stuff they have already released is open they can't stop them from using that. Of course if they did stop giving out updates eventually nobody would use it.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Phones weren't 640x480. They were generally 800x480/854x480 or 480x320, 4:3 phones were uncommon outside blackberries and those weren't 640x480 either.

Sorry misremembered I still think the point stands.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Toady posted:

For some people, gaining a sensation of mastery over computers substitutes for the feeling of control missing in their lives. Four hours configuring a smartphone OS is considered time well-spent. Any attempt to reduce the need for "tinkering" is a direct threat to the ego and breeds resentment, especially if the attempt is popular among the same kinds of mainstream users who made them feel alienated in the first place: "You can't tell ME what to do, Steve Jobs! *huff*"

While I don't doubt this is some peoples reasoning (see also anti-steam/itunes rage), that's not at all what people are saying in this thread. People like to tinker with all sorts of things which don't strictly speaking need tinkering, even iPhones and iPads. Needing to tinker is never an advantage, being able to might be, the advantage of the Nook Colour is it's price point, the fact that you need to tinker with it is not a point in its favour.

Toady posted:

Android's demographic is split between budget buyers and these "freaks". I was explaining to Dr. Video Games why someone like this wouldn't want a tablet to work out of the box or feel magical.

He wasn't saying not working out of the box is a plus, he was pointing out that some people don't mind spending the time tinkering, that's not the same thing. And yes android fanboys are terrible, but arguing you shouldn't get a device because of the fans is terrible advice.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 28, 2012

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Toady posted:

Not only that, but there's a culture inherently attached to it due to its basis on Linux and Google's PR department telling people that Android is for freedom fighters.

Android fanboys are terrible I agree, what's that got to do with whether you should or should not recommend an Android device which is how this whole issue got started.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

If anything, don't recommend some cheap Android phone by saying "tinkering" will save it, as it is the biggest waste of time.

Nothing of value really ever comes out of that except for a lesson in determining a product's proper value proposition and why you shouldn't buy terrible devices.

I seriously don't like the whole rooting community cause it seems to instill in people the idea that a lovely device can be fixed by simply rooting it and installing some hacked up rom.

If people are advising people that cheap lovely tablet will be an amazing iPad alternative because once rooted and pimped out, yeah that's bad advice. I haven't seen anyone say that in this thread, all I have seen people say is that, for example the nook colour is good for the price.

Edit: also it wasn't anybody who recommended an android tablet which brought up tinkering.

Shorter Than Some fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 29, 2012

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

My Linux Rig posted:

If one of your considerations for a purchase is "how I'll fix this", then maybe you need reassess what you're about to buy.

Why? people buy up cheap bikes or cars to fix up all other sorts of things, if it's a good deal (even after factoring in time spent) and does what you need it to then what exactly is the problem?

Also did you even read those posts? none of them said that lovely tablets are great tablets when rooted, they just said they are good value for the price if all your looking for is a reader(which, in case my post was the one you didn't read was what I claimed people were saying), hell one of them even advised against buying one so I don't have any clue why you put that quote up there.

My Linux Rig posted:

If anyone really considers following a set of instructions to root/flash poo poo a hobby, then that is just down right sad.

Nobody has called it a hobby, I don't like the procedure bit, but I do like tailoring it to my needs, I still wouldn't call it a hobby.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

El Duke posted:

this analogy doesn't work. People don't buy old POS cars to fix them up so they have a fully working POS car in the end. They buy cars to restore them to former glory. Same with bikes. People don't waste their time loving with stuff that was poo poo in the first place. They repair quality to bring it back to quality.

Actually a lot of people do, I'm not talking about car enthusiasts or bike enthusiasts here some people can't afford high end stuff so buying something that's broke and fixing it up so that it is passable.

But forget about the analogy for the moment and just answer this: why is it a waste of time if you can get it to the standard you need, for a price you can afford? Just stating that "if the product needs fixing it aint worth buying" isn't an argument". It needing fixing is a valid criticism of the product but it isn't an automatic trump, and for many people it doesn't outweigh the advantage that it's a poo poo load cheaper than an iPad or whatever.

If someone is advised that fixing up a nook can make it into a mediocre tablet how is that bad advice? If they don't have the time they won't do it, and frankly a lot of you are overestimating how much time it takes to put the latest cyanogen mod on a Noook. I'm not advocating this for people who can afford iPad's or primes or whatever.

El Duke posted:

if all you want is a reader? Why would you get anything aside from eInk for reading? And even if not, why would you need to root something like a Nook Color or Kindle Fire to make it an adequate reading device? That's a main function out of the box.

To the first question, browsing, pdf reading other stuff on the tablet, to the second question, I never claimed that the reason you needed to root and fix the tablet was to make it a reader, simply to make a lovely tablet into a more fully functional one. Some of the posts quoted above did say stuff along those lines but I wasn't agreeing with them, simply arguing that they weren't advising you turn a tablet into an iPad from a Nook Colour or whatever

El Duke posted:

Multiple people have said it's something they do in their spare time for fun.

I remember people saying they enjoy it when they do it, I don't recall them using a phrase like the above, if that's the case then I retract my statement, but not everyone was calling it a hobby, the fact that someone enjoys something doesn't make it a hobby.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Eugene Jerome posted:

Your overpriced, oversized iPod is cool. Just let us chill in this thread, k?

Look I agree it's pretty annoying but resorting to calling an iPad an "oversized iPod" is not going to lead to people just chilling.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Crackbone posted:

The fact is that Apple devs essentially have 2 resolutions to worry about, while Android? poo poo, who knows, it's at least half a dozen and it's only going to get higher once the rumored "super-res" tablets start hitting. So it's inevitable that Android apps are going to be worse at phone/tablet portability. It's no shock that even major app makers go with the mindset of "eh, not offensively horrible, ship it".

Not to mention one of those resolutions being a being nice convenient multiple of the other, there's a reason why apple didn't just incrementally increase the resolution on it's iPhones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

lamentable dustman posted:

Asus is working on their tablet segments

300 series will replace the OG. Tegra 3, plastic backing, standard 1280x800 IPS screen (no super) http://www.anandtech.com/show/5588/the-asus-transformer-pad-300-series

Prime in the middle

Infinity at the high end. 1920x1200 screen. Tegra 3 like the prime. If yo want LTE it switches out the processor for a krait. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5586/the-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-1920-x-1200-display-krait-optional

How big a deal is the lack of a super ips scree? I was kinda hoping the 300 would be just the Prime with less problems (if slightly uglier),