Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

Android Tablet Threat: My god it's full of iTrolls

Has anyone with a 1st Gen Transformer had the tilt sensor and compass stop working? I unrooted mine so I could exchange it and it started working after the preparatory wipe and reinstall.

Tilt works fine for me, I never use the compass so not sure on that one, but seems OK. Probably just a weird bug for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrMoose posted:

So, I got in and saw someone buying a transformer prime, and couldn't find them on the shelves. Figured they were out, but I asked anyways. There was one left, so the "MUST GET" in me jumped on that. I now own a transformer prime...

with no case. So time to check the thread for the cases others have bought. Hopefully I can find one that works.

I don't travel enough with a Tablet to need a case with my transformer. And when I do i keep it in my laptop bag. Just two cents on the other side of cases, why get a case for something if you mostly use it at home?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Who gives a poo poo about ipad vs Android, they both have ups and downs.

It is almost February, and mid February is when ICS lands for the original transformer. My only main complaint on this tablet is the web browser (well, and Google docs), so I am very much looking forward to that being fixed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mighty Horse posted:

Anyone have any feedback on the HTC Flyer? I can get them super cheap through work and they have an official HC Rom out now.

If you can get one for $99-199 its a good buy, honeycomb seems nice on it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

angrytech posted:

Two questions:
1. What's the goon recommended android tablet?

It varies, but the Asus Transformer series tends to be the most popular.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

Your sample size is 2, hard to call 50% the exception.

The one major problem Android seems to have is that at this point no manufacturer has been consistent with their build quality. Even ignoring low end devices and just factoring in the "flagship" phones that is arguably the case. HTC has been lackluster lately, Motorola still is hit or miss (plus motoblur), Samsung is Samsung and it seems this trend is continuing to tablet space.

Honestly, waiting 1-2 months for the product to be out is advisable for tablets in general right.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

At the rate you people are going this thread is going to be force-closed more often than my phone.

Also this.

Android tablet thread: force closes more than a kyocera android.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Man I got an Asus Transformer for christmas and it's probably one of the jankiest pieces of electronics ever designed. Honeycomb is such an atrocity that I had to look up how to install a custom ROM just to iron out some of the more egregious lag. It's also unexcusable for scrolling to lag more in portrait than in landscape mode. If ICS doesn't fix things I'm probably going to sell it and move on, goddamn.

Also XDA is a blight on the internet.

Mine works fine, only complaint is honey combs browser speeds.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

I have a fire for having a cheap tablet, I want something that's actually good to do work on. The thinkpad one seems pretty good for what I need for a work tablet, except the keyboard lag would be a bitch to deal with.

Plus this is how I refrain from buying toys that just pop into my head, doing research on them.

Doing research is great.

Honesty, I would argue if you want to do real work, and especially anything based on office or any kind of coding, I don't think tablets are anywhere near replacing PCs. Honestly they are not made for that purchase (they are made for consuming!). My transformer can do basic work stuff, and the email clients are solid, but if I want to do nothing beyond typing a paragraph I reach for my laptop.

Tablets are a lot of fun, but they are definitely expensive (though useful) toys.

I think it is certainly arguable that many people don't need anything more than basic work functions, but I think my point still stands: if you want to get stuff done, a laptop is still the best and most productive way to go.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

All seven of them. Awesome!

Can we just agree that buying the prime is a crapshoot? it has great hardware with some bugs, so it's a possibly great tablet but buy one at your own risk, and just shut the gently caress up about it? Seriously, everyone keeps saying the same poo poo over and over.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Prior to this I have only used apple products basically, so I've always had the expectation that consumer electronics should work more or less as advertised. Sometimes it can be on my desk and it'll spontaneously reboot, something none of my iPod touches going back to the original 16 GB one I bought in high school for $400 have ever had a problem with. Android is such a hilarious disgrace as a consumer level product. If Google offered it as some kind of masochist hobby OS for your device it might be ok, but for a shipping product to not display PDFs fluidly is sinful. My 400 Mhz first gen iPod touch is better at handling PDFS than a dual core 1 ghz android tablet with 10x the RAM as the IPT.

Edit: I do a lot of work with legislation often distributed as PDFs, which is why I'm bent out of shape with this crap. There's probably a good reason everyone in the state house has an iPad and it's not because Rep. Old Whiteman is a hipster.

Then buy apple from now on. I haven't had problems with pdfs between phones and tablets myself, so otherwise I couldn't tell you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Seriously? It's incredibly laggy just to open a document. Scrolling is choppy and forget about pinch to zoom because that will take forever.

Seriously. Every once in a while my transformer will lag or be sluggish, but fairly rare, especially now that I overclock it. Thus includes pdfs. But if you are an apple guy otherwise I would consider swapping platforms.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

randyest posted:

Can you be more specific about the types/sizes of PDFs and device/OS combinations that are giving you good results rendering big and/or complex PDFs with no problems or slowdowns? As anandtech reported and I saw to be the case, anything other than a small (<5MB) text-only PDF would nearly cripple a Xoom cr OG transformer runnging any available android version with any of the dozen or so available PDF reader apps. Load in a scanned-page PDF and the bar was lowered even more, leading to 5-10 second page transitions. Is ICS and/or the Prime any better?

I recognize that what is "fine" versus "holy poo poo unacceptable" varies from person to person so maybe someone with a prime or ICS or both or some other awesome android tab can grab a pdf from, for example, http://fullcirclemagazine.org/ and YouTube a video of loading it and changing pages? Bonus points for showing annotation and form-filling. If I can be sure those features will work well and fast I can save my company a bunch of money since we can get a really good deal on android tablets.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

edit: fixed typos

Just small work pdfs usually. I'll admit certainly nothing crazy. I just went back and loaded a few, half with Polaris half with adobe, and they all loaded fine. Scrolling is mostly fine, if I scroll really fast the letters blur for a second. So I don't know, I have yet to have problems.

My transformer is rooted and slightly over clocked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bruce Leroy posted:

Has anyone tried out the HTC Scribe Digital "pen" (a special capacitive stylus) that goes along with the HTC View and Flyer?

I've read about it and seen some videos that look pretty cool, but I'm wondering how good it is outside of marketing videos and how overall useful it is, especially since it's so expensive.

Meh, its neat I guess, but I find writing on glass doesn't work well and it isn't really that accurate in practice.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I read the OP but saw no mention of the XOOM in it...realistically how much longer will Google support the XOOM with updates and poo poo like that? I'm looking for an android tablet but rather not spend 5/600, and I figure since the XOOM is kinda googles "nexus" tablet it would probably be the safe bet at a 3/400 dollar price point...

Well, there is the Xoom 2, but I'm pretty sure there is very little reasoning to get it over the original. Unknown on how long, but probably a few more updates. The non-LTE version does have ICS, so that is pretty big. Don't pay more than $300 for the Xoom, prices will likely drop on it once the new ipad is announced as well.

Speaking of which, Asus better hurry up with the original Transformer ICS update. They promised sometime in February....

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I think that they're smart enough to realize people only want to use a stylus for specific things that require precision. Designing a stylus-based UI would basically be a death sentence, nobody would ever buy it.

This is Samsung we are talking about. The trend is scary. Styli are pretty much unneeded outside of design (and that is assuming people in that field like them).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codiusprime posted:

I to hate when manufacturers give me more options. So irritating, especially if it isn't useful to me!!!

The option is fine, for those who can make use for it, great. Its making it the prime feature and selling point that gets embarrassing.

Example 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgfknZidYq0

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Damnit it Asus.

http://www.bgr.com/2012/02/16/ice-cream-sandwich-update-for-asus-transformer-delayed/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Buying a tech product between January to May tends to be a bad time. Some stuff launches then, but a good portion of stuff comes out between June to October. So the advice on waiting a bit right now is a good one regardless of which system you want.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flobbster posted:

I don't know if this has been addressed in a previous post, but here goes:

My department purchased a handful of 7" Galaxy Tabs for educational use (I'm teaching a CS2/Java course using Android). I've been using mine for a while for testing and development, and the battery life is poo poo.

Just yesterday, I unplugged it from the wall and it had a full charge. I used it for barely a few minutes, and when I left it alone, the charge was still full or nearly full.

I leave it off the charger overnight, get back to my office this morning, and the battery life meter is almost all the way down to nothing. Wtf?

I have Bluetooth and GPS turned off -- I had wi-fi on, but it wasn't connected to the network at the time, and I can't imagine that wi-fi alone would drain it that much. (MY IPAD at home that gets even more use holds its charge for weeks).

I'm going to try turning off the wi-fi and see if I see any improvement, but is there anything I'm missing? Background services I can shut off? The tablet is fresh out of the box (running 2.2) with only a handful of small apps I've written myself installed on it.

You can try turning off wifi and also going to settings, accounts a a sync and turning them off too. Honesty, I would just plug it up at night, the original tab wasn't amazing on battery life, and it won't hurt it leaving it plugged up overnight.

Oh, and I would bet you have a software update, so check for that. Just don't expect ice cream sandwich.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vagrancy posted:

(Cross post for HC/ICS Tablet owners)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwmG43D0vD4

Google Docs now has native editing for documents.

Market Link

Thank god. Google docs for Android was so bad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thank God. Anyone know how long until a rooted ROM comes out?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How did you install it? I was under the impression that you had to have a Taiwanese TF in order to install it. Did you just install a TW Honeycomb stock ROM then upgrade to ICS?

Gah, why is my transformer not finding an update?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

Do you have stock recovery and the most recent (.21) build of honeycomb?

I thought I did, I don't have ROM manager installed. It is on a custom ROM though, so it may not pick it up.

Anyone have a link to manually download ICS?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fryhtaning posted:

The revenue from 2 years of a data contract to offset their cost of the tablet pales in comparison to the revenue of 2 years of a voice and data contract.

Then honestly, Android tablets should follow iPad pricings on just no contract, month to month plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

This won't happen as long as people consider the iPad overpriced.

Honestly, who considers the iPad overpriced? Maybe the 64GB 3G model, but the 16 and 32GB WiFi is at a pretty solid price (and I would think those are the two most popular).

And Android tablets are starting to get a name as being not great. Worse than the Evo vs iPhone 4, because in that case the iPhone really wasn't a full option for those wanting Sprint, or those wanting Verizon or TMobile for their respective carriers.

So basically, as much as I like my Transformer, Android tablets right now really are not keeping up for your average person. I'm interested to see what the response is after March 7th.

Google should have just waited, skipped Honeycomb and released ICS. ICS isn't perfect, but its just drastically better. I'm embarrassed on any previous posts where I defended Honeycomb.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

Is there any reason not to go for a refurbished Toshiba Thrive? I have a vizio 8 inch now, and the lack of apps is limiting its usefulness.

It's a not very well made tablet made by a company that is not very reliable and you basically can get a better buy for your money?

If it doesn't have ice cream sandwich do not buy it. And with the remarks Andy Rubin made about Android, it is arguable that now is a bad time to look at Android tablets (ie Android isn't focusing on tablet apps).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

Wait, got a source for that quote? I understood it to mean that Google thinks that apps don't need to differentiate between screen sizes (which is a debatable point). To say that "Android isn't focusing on tablet apps" is unclear since it's the developers that make that decision.

We are thinking of the same thing. Google is focusing in tablets yes, but with andy Rubin going on and on about apps not needing to be optimized, its just drat depressing. Yes, this is beating a dead horse in this thread but some apps scale fine, some just don't.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

Try Opera Mobile. You can enable one flash element without enabling all of them.

Yes tell me more about how carriers are keeping Windows Phone down and how salespeople would rather just sell iPhones, the comissions from which they must be swimming in...

Verizon and ATT you are mostly dead on in the (lack of) commissions. Sprint actually pays decently to sell the iphone.

My Linux Rig posted:

He probably said that knowing that optimizing apps for a specific resolution would be impossible on android, what with the multiple screen sizes it has.

Although, I don't get why they don't restrict the number of different resolutions out there for their devices. They do realize that cell phones/tablets aren't laptops/desktops right? Apps don't reside in a window, they take up the whole screen, so it's not really advantageous to have a variety of screen sizes out there for your brand of smartphone/tablet.

This is getting out of my expertise, but I have friends who are full time app developers, and at the very least on the phone side don't have too many issues getting their apps to scale correctly for different screens and resolutions (only exception really being low end Android phones). I know you disagree, but I've used the same apps across a good number of phones, and don't usually run into issues at all.

Now, could tablets be different, I honesty don't know.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 5, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just got my taxes back today. Unless you guys can point out a better tablet for $300, I think I may buy the Samsung 7.0 Plus this weekend, ICS be damned.

Stop. No. Don't. Think of the kids.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

buy the Samsung 7.0 Plus this weekend, ICS be damned.

Famous last words.

And in all seriousness, I got the transformer for $300, you could find the xoom for that price as well.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 10, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dodoman posted:

Android Tablet Thread:Just buy an iPad 3

IPad or wait for windows.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fyi for anyone interested, my Transformer (original) is for sale, just trying to save up cash:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472570

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IT Guy posted:

You couldn't have cleaned it up a bit before taking the picture?

Apparently not.

Edit: Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking, but posting a picture like that was retarded. I at least cleaned it and took another shot.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 15, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toady posted:

Looks a hundred times better now.

And apparently people on craigslist don't give a poo poo, I have the thing sold in about 3 hours. Not going to miss it. ICS runs pretty bad on it, its just too frickin buggy.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 15, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

He will also rape you.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for just the golf clubs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Proteus4994 posted:

To some degree this is true, but companies rarely ever whip out their dick and piss all over your face in quite as much of a brazen way as Asus seems to do.

In my opinion, the moment they decided to line through GPS as a feature because they couldn't bother to be asked to delay launch for a month to get a feature that they promised to work would have been the moment I would have been too appalled to even consider getting a tablet from them ever again. And that's BEFORE the reports of downright abuse by customer service and build quality issues.

I don't think you can say THAT'S true for 95% of all manufactured goods in the world.

Edit: A Google search seems to indicate that they released a patch to fix GPS or something? If so, kudos to them but that's still too little too late imo.

Edit 2: vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Pretty sure you missed my entire point.

Also I don't hear these customer service horror stories about other companies. At least not in the quantity I seem to about Asus.

I'd argue Samsung gives them a run for the money.

Honest question: did I miss Asus being a company that makes poor computers? Their PCs always seemed to get good reviews, I liked the ones I used, hence the thought process "oh hey, they might not gently caress up a tablet." I'm agreeing 100% that they did gently caress it up, I just didn't think they had poor support history like Samsung and others do.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the posted:

I have an Asus Transformer. Lately it's been.. acting weird. I don't know if it's ever since the system update to ICS, but it's pretty close.

-Random reboots.

-Sometimes the home screen just... goes blank. And all I get is the background and the bottom buttons. No option really but to reset.

What the hell is going on?

ICS is just terrible for it, the hardware can't handle it. I got rid of mine for those reasons.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

My original Transformer runs ICS fine.

Mine was a rooted stock ROM, I wiped it twice and it was still laggy. My personal experience with it ended on a sour note. I sold it and got a Touchpad, and the Touchpad running CM9 just runs way better.

In the end, if people are happy, great, but right now Android Tablets in general just are hit or miss, and the software support is just not there or even on the horizon.

Endless Mike posted:

What? A Tegra 2 should be more than sufficient for Ice Cream Sandwich.

It should be sure. Whether it was Asus rushing the update or the hardware, I really couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is it ran mostly fine on Honeycomb, and for me ran terribly on ICS.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kynetx posted:

What's a "business user"? I have a business license, does that count?

If you sign up under your tax ID sure.

El_Matarife posted:

Ok so I'm playing with a ZTE Optik tablet on Sprint. Sprint is selling them for 99 cents to business users as an end of quarter deal, with a $20 per month for 1Gb data plan. It's a pretty tiny, thin 7 inch tablet but Swype is even buggier than it is on the Galaxy Tab.

I don't know what's going on with Swype on Honeycomb but it sure makes me want to slash my wrists. It's slow, it's slightly unstable, and it's putting spaces where I don't want them and doing the whole "Overwrite the last two characters" thing in the browser.

Eh, obviously $0.99 is nice and all, but $240 over 2 years for 1GB of Sprnt 3G a month isn't horrible, but not the best idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Thanks for the derail. You should know that the ricer roms were a last ditch effort to fix the issues before I sold it. Of course, the android community wants it both ways: People who bitch should install any variety of the roms to fix their problems, and then blame the problems on the roms when they turn out to be terrible.

I didn't like the transformer and got rid of it due to performance reasons, but not the reasons you listed, it does do the basics fine.