Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shorter Than Some posted:

Android fanboys are terrible I agree, what's that got to do with whether you should or should not recommend an Android device which is how this whole issue got started.

If anything, don't recommend some cheap Android phone by saying "tinkering" will save it, as it is the biggest waste of time.

Nothing of value really ever comes out of that except for a lesson in determining a product's proper value proposition and why you shouldn't buy terrible devices.

I seriously don't like the whole rooting community cause it seems to instill in people the idea that a lovely device can be fixed by simply rooting it and installing some hacked up rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

If people are advising people that cheap lovely tablet will be an amazing iPad alternative because once rooted and pimped out, yeah that's bad advice. I haven't seen anyone say that in this thread, all I have seen people say is that, for example the nook colour is good for the price.

Edit: also it wasn't anybody who recommended an android tablet which brought up tinkering.

Gyshall posted:

How is the Nook Color as a rooted tablet? I'm most interested in reading comics/Kindle books, as well as playing some games and so on. I looked at the Kindle Fire but I wasn't happy with the size of the screen.

Crackbone posted:

For what it's worth, apparently the Nook Tablet bootloader got cracked, so CM looks to be a real possibility. Not that I'd recommend it RIGHT now if you need a 7" tablet. But of course, there's at least 2 $249 7" tablets due soon with Tegra 3 hardware (and no need for custom roms), so waiting seems like the best option.

Mantle posted:

If you just want a cheap 10" reader, I picked up a Le Pan TC 970 for $170 on sale at amazon.ca. Its specs are similar to the Nook Color and it's a 2.2 tablet as well. However its screen is an IPS panel with the same part number as the iPad 1 screen.

CM7/9 is being actively ported to it and some people have figured out how to sign ROMs for the device so hopefully it's just a matter of time now: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1399693

Here's some more detailed information about the tablet.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-le-pan-tc-970-9-7-inch-android-tablet-200-a-1087251/

Syrinxx posted:

32GB 9.7" HP Touchpad is $219 today on Woot. There's an early build of CM7 for this tablet I think so it's a pretty great deal.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

CM9 alpha is out too. But for that price it might be a better idea to get a first gen HC tablet wit dev support.

I would also add that if someone is considering the Nook colour or whatever instead of an iPad or latest greatest android tablet V7, they probably aren't earning 50 dollars an hour, which is why spending 30 minutes or even four hours working on making it fully functional when it costs much less is a good deal for them even when you factor in "how valuable is your time argument".

If one of your considerations for a purchase is "how I'll fix this", then maybe you need reassess what you're about to buy.

Also:

Uthor posted:

That doesn't take into account if you enjoy loving around with your toys. When I spent four hours rooting, installing custom ROMs, and tweaking my phone, I did it because it was fun.

Then again, I'd just recommend getting a different phone to someone that hates (or doesn't know how to) doing that stuff. Getting something that works right out of the box instead.

Craptacular! posted:

Root is not necessary to make the machine simply start up and do tasks. This is like applying jailbreak time to the iPad because I simply MUST have my Playstation emulator and folders within folders.

My time is worth nothing, I suppose (I am unemployed and have plenty of time for stuff like World of Warcraft as a result); but I only do root/etc as a hobby and not for basic functionality.
If anyone really considers following a set of instructions to root/flash poo poo a hobby, then that is just down right sad.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

:words:

Buying a cheap tablet and hoping for a way to fix it through some hacky bullshit is bad advice because it won't make it better and you'll just spend your time wishing you got a better tablet, which is eventually going to convince you to buy another one.

You could just save up a little extra money and buy a tablet you'll keep instead of throwing away money on a cheap tablet you're going to obsess over for a month and throw away anyway.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kynetx posted:

Jesus christ, we need another thread for you idiots to have your iPad vs. Android dick measuring contest. Can we please, please, please have a thread about Android tablets without the YOSPOS trolling?

Mods? Anyone there?

You know, I wasn't even making an argument for iOS devices, I was just saying that buying a $99 tablet with the expectation to try and fix it is a bad idea. But I guess if you want to conflate that to all android tablets then I guess I can't really argue with you.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Codiusprime posted:

They're just making sure that any misguided soul that wanders into the Android Tablet Megathread knows that all Android tablets are hacked together turds and to just buy an iPad instead. It's a public service they're doing.

With all the talk of buying tablets to hack them up, I could see how someone might think that!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Eugene Jerome posted:

So the Apple trolls are in denial because:

-iOS doesn't support Flash
-iOS doesn't really support expansion or customization

And they're trying to make it seem like Android is *wrong* because their iOS products are better and don't need Flash, or expansion, or customization.

Cult-like traits. Making sense of things that don't make sense.

Oh man, you totally got us. Looks like the gigs up, guys.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

nmfree posted:

All I want is to use a Bluetooth headset Skype, is that too much to ask for? :(

Works for me on my evo. I'm wondering if that's a device fragmentation thing.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I have to agree that I wouldn't care about paying twice for an app that was properly formatted. But decent scaling makes it so that an app that was developed in some teenager's basement while high doesn't look like total loving garbage until the end of time.

Scaling doesn't always work, you know. In fact from my experience, scaling is often the worst solution.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Rastor posted:

And if you're happy with an OS that only supports 2 resolutions and 2 more hiDPI versions of those resolutions then I'm happy you're happy. Maybe you could go discuss how happy you are in the appropriate thread?

This is the Android tablet thread. Android isn't limited to only 2 (+2) resolutions; it scales from tiny 2" QVGA screens all the way to giant Television displays.

You know, this thread doesn't need to be limited to just praising android tablets. You realize you can critique them too, right?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

serewit posted:

Went ahead and picked up a refurbished keyboard dock for the T-Prime off Amazon and drat this thing is nice. It's pretty much a netbook at this point.

Although now I'm noticing some weird spots under the screen that look like they may be dead pixels... :suicide:

Pogo pins for gps, dead pixels, poor app scaling, sd cards sliding out...

Man, these sure are quality tablets.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Crackbone posted:

I know it's crazy, but maybe if you're paying $500 for a device it might be better to wait for something without so many lovely defects? Even if you're an Android fan surely waiting for the slew of Teg3 tablets coming down the pipe (and making sure they're vetted before you buy) might be a more logical path?

It might be, if those new android tablets don't suffer from their own design failures.

But android tablets don't have a good track record for good designs so...

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

defective by design.

Hey, I see a new thread title!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Crackbone posted:

I though most of the Tegra 2 big name brands (including the original TF) were better built than the Prime. Regardless of weight/thickness/etc, they all seemed to be much out-of-the-box defective than the Prime.

G-tablet

That was a Tegra 2 tablet. And actually you're right, other than the nauseating display, it still worked better than a transformer. It was still a pretty lovely tablet though.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I should also report that those same people should return something they paid good money for and hold the company accountable instead of hacking it with cardboard inserts.

No way, that would be admitting defeat! Just keep coming up with "fixes" and saying it works for me.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Don Lapre posted:

They removed GPS off the spec sheet, they all have the same problems

This is a possible fix though

Looks like quite an great fix to mhahahahhahahaaa

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It was listed as a feature. Now instead of people getting angry at the company and demanding satisfaction, they are taking it up the poopshoot and trying to fix it by themselves, most likely voiding the warranty, and the company gets away with it.

Try that with another company like Apple - they would be bending over backwards right now with press conferences and free poo poo to at least calm people down.

But no, keep buying their products at full price and sitting on them, and stop asking us to speak poorly of them when this is a discussion forum based on what tablets are worth buying for people who potentially come in here for advice.

I feel sorry for anyone who comes into this thread for advice.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kynetx posted:

This brings up an interesting point. Why can't the press and casual gadget fans understand the difference between a capacitive stylus, a resistive screen with a stylus and a proper Wacom digitizer?
On one hand, I think they do, but acknowledging the difference means they have to be able to articulate something other than LOL SAMSUNG NOTE=PALM PILOT.
I keep seeing blog posts that can't differentiate between the different technologies.

Because a stylus is a stylus is a stylus. Consumers still have a bad taste in their mouth from the old days of Windows Mobile and Palm Pilot where the stylus pretty much drove the entire touchscreen UI and made for one hell of a bad user experience.

I can't say I blame the press or anyone else for balking at the idea of getting a device that even features a stylus these days.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

Not sure what you're trying to get at here, my Win7 netbook (an HP Mini 10 from last year) shits the bed on my textbooks while my Nook Tablet is a peppy champ. So, that's a comparison. Since I don't want an iPad, it's pretty personally relevant; I wish I had a tablet with Bluetooth (for a keyboard) so I could stop taking the netbook to class. On the other hand, it's nice to have my textbook on another screen so I don't need to flip back and forth (and without having to keep a fat pdf open, the netbook is fine for notes).

Why don't you want an iPad? Seems like you want a tablet. Plus you can take notes on it and read textbooks. Also, I think it supports Bluetooth.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

dissss posted:

Just because X is a worse experience than Y doesn't mean X is necessarily a bad experience

But it does mean Y is a better experience than X.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

It does, and would probably meet my needs, but I'm not interested in learning to wrangle OSX/iOS. I like my iPod, but only when it's not plugged into a computer.

As an example, my wife got a new iPod recently and gave me her old one (a square Nano, nice for exercise). I use MediaMonkey because I don't like the PC version of iTunes and MM works fine with my existing iPod (it's one of the tall ones). Only it turns out that hers is Mac-formatted and can only be read by a PC after being formatted and initialized by a PC copy of iTunes. It's unreadable when plugged into my computer otherwise (even though my computer thinks it's done a good job formatting it). Annoying, and that project's on hold til whenever. If I was single and had bought it off Craigslist or eBay, I'd be crazy pissed because I'd have no idea what the gently caress; it behaves like it's broken.

Mac stuff is complicated and counter-intuitive at times; it's probably great in some ways but I'm busy and have a decent understanding of Windows and Android. I flat-out don't have time for another OS (been too busy to even change my oil and plug the hole in my tire lately which is embarrassing). If they had made an iPhone with a decent-sized screen a couple years ago, I wouldn't know jack about Android. v:shobon:v

I can tell you right now that things have improved since the iPod days and using an iphone/iPad on a PC is pretty dead simple

But not only that, we're talking about Android tablets here. Have you seen how people waste their time on them here? Adding wires to the gps to make it usable, rooting them, flashing them with hacked up roms, disassembling them and adding cardboard to them, etc.

If time is seriously a premium for you, or you don't like complicated and counter intuitive gadgets, then I really wouldn't suggest an Android tablet.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

I tried to treat this reasonably but it's basically a (maybe unintentional) troll, since it's in response to me saying I have a tablet that I can take notes on and read textbooks, which lacks only Bluetooth to be perfect.
How was my post a troll, exactly? I actually wanted to know what his objections were to the ipad since it did everything he was looking for. It just seemed odd to me that he was pretty against getting one for no reason in his initial post.

quote:

Dude, seriously; I already own an Android tablet that I like, and you clearly don't and don't intend to, so what's your stake in this thread? Why are you here?

Actually, I have owned a few android tablets in the past and gotten burned on those purchases pretty badly, one in particular being the gtablet. Mostly cause I was busy trying to fix them and justify how they aren't horrid pieces of poo poo instead of just returning them.

And why am I here? I guess I like discussing about Android tablets too. You see, serious discussions don't have to be glowing praise about the subject matter. Sometimes it can include critiques as well.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

My Linux Rig, I tried to be clear about why I thought your post was a bit of a troll, I said "I have an Android tablet that almost meets my needs, the only thing missing is Bluetooth" and your answer is "Get an iPad"; can you see where that might taken badly?

My answer wasn't "get an ipad", rather my question was "why don't you want an iPad?", cause it seemed a bit weird that you stated that exclusion for no particular reason.

If you want advice on buying tablets and say "I don't want an ipad", someone might want to know why so they can give you better advice.

Edit: oh, I must have misread the "I wish I had a tablet" and took it as a request for buying advice. Sorry, but it's not like the question wasn't valid.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 13, 2012

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Oh boy.

Manufacturers making more androids with a stylus just doesn't seem like a good trend.

If a majority of androids start coming with a stylus then I doubt any of the companies that make android devices will have enough sense to keep from designing UI elements around having a stylus.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, that poo poo killed the Game Boy. ;)
How about windows mobile.

Remember windows mobile? Where every menu, button, and item was so small that it required a stylus to tap it? Even the native keyboard required a stylus.

It was pretty bad.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I don't think it's scary. People like taking notes on tablets/large-screened phones. The best way to do that is with a stylus, by far.

Look at how many people buy styli for their tablets to take notes on - it's definitely not just people in the design field that would use a stylus.

I've seen plenty of college kids use tablets for notes, and none of them have a stylus.

I'm thinking your over estimating the popularity of capacitive styluses.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

Windows Mobile had a few other issues.

You also may have worse sausage fingers than I do, and AI goons will confirm that coming from me that really means something.

One of the outstanding issues being that the platform couldn't escape the stylus driven ui design.

Also, yeah, I totally have sausage fingers. This is why I find a keyboard like this

Totally unusable.

If only my fingers were just a few centimeters wide, then I wouldn't have any problems at all!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Resistive screens work fine with a finger.

No they don't.

Have you forgotten how awful resistive touch screens were?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

They aren't nearly as good as Capacitive obviously, but I never used the stylus with my Touch Pro or Touch Pro2. They were resistive, but they were sensitive enough that you could use your finger on them.
Yeah I had one too and using your finger on it was horribly bad

Seriously have you forgotten or something or did you seriously think it was actually acceptable?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So I just traded my laptop to my parents for my old gaming rig so I can play Diablo 3. Now I need something I can take to my friends' houses and chill on my bed with. The Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus is in my price range and looks pretty. Is it worth the money?

No.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

sethsez posted:

Why? A one word answer is useless.

Have you been reading this thread?

Really, if I were you, I'd just wait for the ipad 3 to be released before you make any tablet purchasing decisions.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

evilweasel posted:

That it's likely to prompt price cuts on android tablets that need to compete on price now, at a minimum.

Pretty much! The price of android tablets are likely to drop when it comes out. But no, I must be a YOSPOS troll cause I dared to mention anything made by Apple.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Rastor posted:

The difference being, ICS is not a slow horrible buggy mess.

My advice is, do not purchase any Android device, of any kind, unless it ships with Android 4.0 or later, or a 4.0 update is officially available. Not announced, actually available.

Currently non-Nexus Samsung devices fail that test.

Actually, you might want to hold off until Android Jelly Bean comes out this summer.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Glimm posted:

Care to elaborate?

There's a pretty big rumor going around that Google is preparing to release another major version update to android, and it's likely to make its way to tablets first.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

McLarenF1 posted:

When it comes to buying this poo poo, just get the one you think it most future proof and buy it; and accept that it will be old hat in 6-12 months at best. In my case, I've got a Tegra 3 device with ICS, that should hold me over for quite sometime.

So basically, accept that the android device you bought will become obsolete very quickly.

Not because of hardware but more because the manufacturer doesn't want to update your device every 6 months.

Kynetx posted:

JB may be released at some point in the summer, but you won't see it on non-Nexus hardwre until Fall or Winter.

What is it about ICS that compels you to recommend people avoid an entire hardware cycle?

Well I wouldn't say it's ics that compels me to tell people not to buy android tablets.

I mean, not buy android tablets yet!

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 20, 2012

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kynetx posted:

Someone bought me a swanky new avatar! You guys are the best. =)

Me too. High five!

hotsauce posted:

So people nowadays actually pull out gadgets at parties and talk about ROMs and stuff?

Man I'm getting old I guess.

No, people don't actually do that.

And if they do, don't worry, I'm sure their social anxiety will overtake the booze soon enough so they go back to standing in the corner.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait until the iPad 3 comes out and see if the 7.0 Plus drops in price at all. Do you know if its supposed to ever get ICS? I have a gaming PC, so I'll just be using the tablet at my friends' houses or when laying on my bed so I don't really want to spend over $400.

Well, here's one for $130

It even has an ethernet port for all your super intense gaming computing needs!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Frozen-Solid posted:

My new tablet should be here today. Here's what the busted one looks like right now:

:negative:

Anyone dealt with Squaretrade before? What are the odds of them actually fixing this?

What's the issue? It looks like a normal prime to me.

He ha, just kidding! Here, here's a place you can find replacement parts. I'm sure you can fix it yourself.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Rastor posted:

As of ICS Android has a device backup feature similar to what iTunes can do for iOS devices (includes apps and app data, etc.). Google for "adb backup" for more info.

So similar as in "does the same thing, kind of, but you have to open a terminal and".

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Frozen-Solid posted:

Talking to Squaretrade they were all "well we repair it if possible" and didn't even want to discuss the cash-back option until they saw it. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.

You would think with that tablet, most people would prefer the money back solution.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Tatsujin posted:

I updated my wife's TF to ICS, now it's incredibly slow and the market thinks half the apps aren't installed when they are :sigh:

Welp, looks like you're gonna need to replace that with a ICS native (or other) tablet when it comes out. Don't know what to tell ya.

I'm not sure you should waste much more time on it, really. Just roll it back to the original version it had, get a new tablet, and sell it. It's going for a good price on eBay, so it might not be a bad idea to just sell it now before a bunch of new tablets appear on the scene and lower the resale price.