Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I think that's the capacitive touch grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

:siren: Newegg just added Transformer Prime stock, including Champagne docks :siren:

Edit: direct links

Gray Transformer Prime
Gray Transformer Prime Dock
Champagne Transformer Prime
Champagne Transformer Prime Dock

Rastor fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 24, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ericadia posted:

There aren't a remarkable number of dedicated Android tablet apps. Most normal android apps automatically scale up and still look pretty good, with the exception of apps that use a lot of graphics in their UI (as those graphics can't be scaled up.. only zoomed in etc. Apps ported over from iphone are notorious for this). This is a list of featured tablet apps, but other than that, I am not sure if there is a way to filter to only tablet-specific apps.

draize_train posted:

I'll agree that the way iPad resizes phone apps isn't much better, but then again you have like 180 000 universal or iPad-only apps to choose from

Oh it's this discussion again.

Directories / sources of tablet-optimized apps on Android:

Android Market featured apps for tablets

tablified.com

Android Police weekly best new apps roundup (they often do an edition focused on tablet apps)

And several user-edited lists/indexes from the various Android forums:
transformerforums.com
androidtablets.net
androidcentral.com
androidforums.com

I hereby grant permission to add this info to the OP.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SlayVus posted:

Out of stock....

Reportedly tiger direct filled their preorders and are now showing in stock...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

What Tegra 3 tablets are available now or just around the corner? No real hurry for me to change but I don't want to wait months. I really like the sounds of that 7" Asus but I seriously doubt we see that any time soon.
You can order a 10.1" Transformer Prime right now.

Rough guess, maybe 4-6 months for the 7" and add 1-2 more months for the Transformer 700 series (ultra-res screen). But those are just my poorly educated guesses.

MrMoose posted:

is the Prime worth getting if I don't plan to get the keyboard dock?
It's an iPad 2 that's thinner, lighter, faster, and runs Android apps instead of iOS apps.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

5er posted:

Does anyone have any insight to why there is a shortage on the Prime's keyboard dock? I want one for mine, but I'm not going to pay the mark-up gouge on Amazon due to impatience.
No insight as to why, but shipments seem to be rolling in now. They've been appearing for a few minutes at a time on Newegg and Tiger Direct, and there are spotty reports of finding them at Office Depot, Best Buy, and Fry's.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DarkFact posted:

Maybe I was just unlucky. :(
Exchange it and see if a different one is better?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's worth a try to do a factory reset but if it still experiences freezes/reboots then get an exchange, don't wait until the return period runs out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hey just postin' from my ASUS Transformer Prime. It's thinner and lighter than an iPad 2 while having a higher-resolution screen and costing less. It worked great out of the box and was easy to set up. Within minutes the Android apps I had already purchased, and my email, calendar, and contacts, were all synced and ready to use. My apps automatically adapted to the tablet form factor, without ugly blurry zooming or the need to purchase special tablet versions. I did not root or modify it in any way, nor did I read anything on XDA.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I assumed he meant that it now had greater than advertised battery life.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Its Samsung, they have a 5.3", 7", 7.7", 8.9", and a 10.1" tablet. ANOTHER screen size shouldn't be very surprising.
That's (A), and

bull3964 posted:

That just must be the smallest that they can produce a 2560×1600 panel.
That's (B), most likely.

Maybe with their hounding by Apple in the courts Samsung is considering dropping the 10.1" size? But since they're Samsung, probably not.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Not exactly, but that's the closest of their product options.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is there a way to easily discern if an app is optimized for tablet?
Sadly, there's no distinction in the Market. Google seems to believe they can rally developers to make every app adapt to every device size/type.

I did post this back before the YOSPOS invasion:

Rastor posted:

Directories / sources of tablet-optimized apps on Android:

Android Market featured apps for tablets

tablified.com

Android Police weekly best new apps roundup (they often do an edition focused on tablet apps)

And several user-edited lists/indexes from the various Android forums:
transformerforums.com
androidtablets.net
androidcentral.com
androidforums.com

I hereby grant permission to add this info to the OP.

quote:

Edit: Are there any gestures the dock trackpad supports, other than two finger scrolling?
If you double tap it will act like you are holding your finger at the cursor position; from there you can do any one-finger gesture such as you would do on the screen.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Several of us are happy Prime owners. Two of us (not me though) needed to return their first one.

Test it thoroughly, if you got one without the issues I think you will like it a lot (unless you want to use GPS).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hughlander posted:

I just got mine, can you list what sort of tests I should do?
The three most common complaints are light bleed around the edges of the screen, poor Wifi reception, and crashes/reboots.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Almost every app that matters has a universal or iPad-specific version now

Dear Apple fans:

We are not impressed by your ability to buy separate iPad-specific versions of your apps. In the Android ecosystem, every app runs on every form factor, which means we don't have to buy our apps twice.

Love,

The Android Tablet Thread

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

zachol posted:

Plenty of phone apps look like absolute poo poo when I try to run them on my tablet, regardless of what scaling/stretching/whatever I set. If being able to sell it again was what spurred developers into making properly functioning and looking tablet versions of their apps, I'd be fine with paying for that.
And I thought the "I don't mind being ripped off, I'm supporting the platform!" thought pattern was only found among deluded BlackBerry fans.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

"Apple is great because most apps are universal apps. Some apps you have to buy twice for phone and tablet, but that's also great, because it looks great and I don't mind giving Apple even more of my money! We have always been at war with Eastasia!"

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Crackbone posted:

The fact is that Apple devs essentially have 2 resolutions to worry about, while Android? poo poo, who knows, it's at least half a dozen and it's only going to get higher once the rumored "super-res" tablets start hitting. So it's inevitable that Android apps are going to be worse at phone/tablet portability. It's no shock that even major app makers go with the mindset of "eh, not offensively horrible, ship it".
iPhone, iPhone 4, iPad, soon iPad 3 if it has a doubled resolution as rumored. That's 4 resolutions to worry about. Who knows how many there will be another 2 years down the road. Meanwhile Android went for a resolution-independent approach right from the beginning and now years down the road that's starting to look pretty smart. Look at the Galaxy Nexus, cranked the resolution crazy high but there were hardly any apps that didn't work great immediately.

It's inevitable that Android apps are going to be better at phone/tablet portability.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

And if you're happy with an OS that only supports 2 resolutions and 2 more hiDPI versions of those resolutions then I'm happy you're happy. Maybe you could go discuss how happy you are in the appropriate thread?

This is the Android tablet thread. Android isn't limited to only 2 (+2) resolutions; it scales from tiny 2" QVGA screens all the way to giant Television displays.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yes thank you for yet another enlightening explanation of why the iPad is fantastic, that's exactly what the Android Tablet Thread needed.

I look forward to tomorrow's discussion of why the iPad is great here in the Android Tablet Thread.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Are we now having a derail about derails?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sure, let's ignore YOSPOS invasion derail #597.

One thing I love about ICS is the folders. Though I find I only use one homescreen now...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The thing about the previous gen is they all ran on Tegra 2 chips, which have several failings. And they tended to be thick and heavy to boot. I think I'd recommend prospective customers keep saving rather than spring for one of those.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you think being locked into a walled garden with only two aspect ratios / resolutions is a hell of a lot better for pretty much everybody, you are wrong. Objectively wrong. Which is fine, but I wish people would stop making GBS threads up the Android threads with that crap. There are different threads where you can talk about how great it is to have only two options instead of many.

Crackbone posted:

I'll drop it now

Apparently not.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Which is exactly why the Android developer guides have extensive documentation about how to create one app which works differently on phones and tablets.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's a pretty huge size difference between those choices, which size do you think you would prefer?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Things that happened while the thread was locked:

My Transformer Prime received a new OTA update. Too bad about the QA issues (especially with early production runs?) because ASUS has really been supporting this thing software-wise.

The Phoenix Suns will be using Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1s on the basketball court.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Honeycomb has become something of a legend for its jankiness. I won't go as far as promising ICS will cure everything but for me personally it was a huge improvement.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

512MB, dual core, 10 inch screen... so it's competing with the iPad 2?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ICS fixed the problem.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Posting from a Transformer Prime to say ICS was an improvement. Maybe not as much as I've seen on a Xoom, but it was nice to ditch Honeycomb.

Edit: The Inquirer recently reviewed the Prime, giving it a 10/10. They cited the display and performance being superior to the iPad 2.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/2145448/asus-transformer-prime-review

Rastor fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 11, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

randyest posted:

Thanks! That'd be interesting especially if you can cap it and youtube it.

Here's a direct link to that magazine's latest PDF, it's not exactly a demanding one, but one from the source that anandtech said caused android rendering slowness. Unfortunately I can't post the confidential pdf's we used to test the xoom and original TF last year, but if there's an android tablet that can handle all of these easily I'll feel confident in bringing up this issue again at my company:
http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issuePY03_en.pdf
Here's another one that's medium sized but not scanned pages:
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/bcamps.pdf
Here are a few decent sources for testing rendering scanned pages:
http://ia600507.us.archive.org/19/items/processedworld08proc/processedworld08proc.pdf
I just got around to this on my Prime. I hope this is helpful to somebody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBSoGxTpSos

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Frozen-Solid posted:

When's the next Tegra3 coming out? Do we have any dates on that yet?
MWC is the end of the month, there will probably be phone and tablet announcements then.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nothing since it was shown at CES.

MWC is the end of the month, there will probably be phone and tablet announcements then.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Because designed and manufactured in China.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

This is turning into a ridiculous derail.

Nobody is arguing that a stylus-oriented design is good, so don't waste your time arguing that it isn't.

Samsung has done some incredibly stupid things, but I doubt they're so stupid that they would create a UI with a stylus-oriented design.

Styluses (real digitizer styluses) are useless for some people and incredibly useful for other people. Coincidentally, it seems like some Android devices are going to be manufactured with stylus digitizers, and others aren't. If you don't want a digitizer stylus, don't buy a device with one.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Another leak of the Transformer 300T (the one with a different back that, presumably, doesn't block Wifi and GPS signals):

http://androidcommunity.com/asus-transformer-tf300t-leaks-again-in-benchmarks-confirms-tegra-3-20120216/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Maybe it's a snap-on color panel like Dell used to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TildeATH posted:

The difference between ICS and Honeycomb is enough that I would not recommend a non-ICS tablet.
The difference being, ICS is not a slow horrible buggy mess.

My advice is, do not purchase any Android device, of any kind, unless it ships with Android 4.0 or later, or a 4.0 update is officially available. Not announced, actually available.

Currently non-Nexus Samsung devices fail that test.