Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Some people on AVSForum called Sony to ask, and they had to contact the TV engineers because they didn't know either.

They should have called the marketing department since I doubt the engineers even knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Definitely gonna see what's in store there, but I just have a feeling it's gonna be a tad more expensive than what I want. We'll see.

Your time must be worth nothing then

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
The time you spend making your purchase halfway usable X $0/hr = $0

edit: let me clarify

I don't know about you but my time is worth at minimum $50/hr.

If I spend 2 hours just dicking around on XDA, figuring out how to root the device, installing custom ROMs etc, that $100 worth of time (2 hours for the mathematically challenged) pays for something that none of that was necessary for.

That's just for the basic Android fuckery that every one of you advocate when something invariably isn't working correctly out of the box.

Then you get into this situation:

SlayVus posted:

Sending my Prime back for RMA... The only service center in the US that services Primes is the one in Grapevine, TX. After reading this thread I called ASUS back ten minutes after receiving my RMA email. Which is when I discovered the aforementioned fact about bing the only repair facility.

I have video documented the packaging of my tablet. I also have photographic documentation of the condition of the tablet and the serial number on both both the tablet and the box.

How much is your time worth then? Because you're losing a hell of a lot more than 2 hours.

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 28, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

E2M2 posted:

Thats a lot of charity work you're doing in YOSPOS

Actually I post at work and get paid for it, owns.

BonoMan posted:

I'm not sure what you're on about.

I don't have a tablet. I was saying I was waiting to see how much the iPad 3 was gonna cost, but that it will probably be more than my budget will allow.

Here's what I mean, and I'm not trying to be caustic about it. If the base iPad3 is $100 over your budget (admittedly a guess) what is your time worth if you buy a tablet in your budget that takes you 4 hours to make usable? Or if it's defective, go through the runaround making a unboxing-of video so when the manufacturer tries to gently caress you over you have proof. Or even if they don't try to gently caress you over you're without your item.

That is what I mean, what is your time worth? Is it worth the difference between your budget and a device that works as it should.

Let's not even make this iOS vs. Android. Let's make it Android vs. Android. If by some miracle Google themselves unfucked Motorola Mobility and came out with an Android tablet that out of the box worked as it should, had good build quality and had some measure of quality control but it cost $100 more than any other Android tablet. Now is your budget still the deciding factor?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

Every non-iPad tablet is not a Nook Color or HP Touchpad that needs to get hours of time put in to be fully functional. Even those are a one-time hit of maybe 30 minutes or an hour to get a super cheap, mostly full-featured tablet. For a more "real" tablet, I'm not sure why you think it takes four hours to open a box and turn the thing on. I think you're ridiculously overestimating the hassle this involves.

Quality control issues are another story and I don't think anyone would argue with your point there. Spending slightly less on something with a much greater chance of hardware issues isn't usually a good plan.

I may be overestimating the time, but in all seriousness, how much time should be invested into wading through the very first page on XDA. I'm including that time in my estimate.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Matlock posted:

I'm really confused at the Acer A200's positioning. The screen looks nice, they bumped it from 1GHZ to 1.2GHZ, the back is a nice leathery vinyl texture, and there's a promise of ICS in February.

On the other hand, it has a 2MP webcam and no camera otherwise. Is the market starting to move away from rear cameras on tablets?

Personally I'd rather they in put better front facing cameras.

Note the general "they", as I mean every tablet manufacturer.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hotsauce posted:

This. Asus is capable of making a solid tablet like the original Prime was. The TF201 is the exception.

Your sample size is 2, hard to call 50% the exception.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Angry Spaniard posted:

Posted 18 minutes ago on FB by Asus.

It's a typo, that should read "Twice the Attention TO Detail"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

randyest posted:

Where did you get that idea? Wherever, it's wrong.

iPad2 launched on 3/11/2011 at $729 for the 32G 3G model and on 3/13/2011 iSuppli tore it down and put the BOM at $326 for the 32G/3G model. That's a cost of $403, or ~55% profit. Add in manufacturing and that's only another ~$7.

Apple's hardware profit margins are huge right out of the gate, and software profits are relatively tiny -- truly negligibly small and not even in the hundreds of millions. You don't get $100bn in the bank by selling poo poo at tiny margins or taking ~30% (before server/bandwidth costs) to sell some songs and apps for $1 each.

Does iSuppli take into account the price Apple most likely gets or is that if you or I decided to build a tablet by going to Radio Shack?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think at this point Android tablets in general need to step it the gently caress up. Cut the cheap hardware, shaky software etc and actually try and compete with the iPad.

This won't happen as long as people consider the iPad overpriced.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

There has been evidence that ONLY LTE upgraded Xooms are going to get the update moving forward, so it would make sense for them to delay the push until all the upgrades are done.

What possible reason could Motorola have for doing this. This is a serious question btw.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

That makes sense.

:what: No it does not.

God help me I am actually agreeing with Rastor.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Maybe, but prior to the removal of Toro and Stingray images from Google code page (when they removed CDMA devices) only LTE upgraded Xooms would work with AOSP complied code.

I believe that is still the case on the custom ROM scene. Any AOSP derived ROM for Stingray only works on 4g upgraded Xooms.

That is mental. I can see not including features that only apply to a tablet with 4g, but these are effectively the exact same tablets with 1 difference. It's absurdity on the level of Monty Python.

Xoom owners should be livid.

Are you guys seriously just that beaten down that you can't muster up any outrage anymore?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

What has outrage accomplished so far?

Nothing I guess, but a good yell can be very therapeutic

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Why should there be outrage? There have been 9 months send your Xoom into Motorola to get it upgraded to LTE and it's a quick 4 day turnaround to get it back. If you haven't done that, I doubt you are very interested in the ICS upgrade too.

Really? I'm not trolling here, I am trying to figure this attitude out.

Say you bought your Xoom sans 4g and then realized "poo poo, it's nice and all to have 4g I guess, but I don't really see myself needing it", so you don't bother with the upgrade. This does not dump you in the category of people who don't care about ICS, you might very much like OS updates without caring about 4g.

And now you are poo poo out of luck? C'mon man, it's the same loving device. You write code for 4g and check if the chip is available.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just got my taxes back today. Unless you guys can point out a better tablet for $300, I think I may buy the Samsung 7.0 Plus this weekend, ICS be damned.

This is just a bad idea, I'm not the guy to do it, but somebody else in here stop him.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Everyone in here is giving that guy bad advice. The only advice he should be getting is "you cannot afford to pay attention, much less buy a tablet at any price. Save your money until you actually have expendable income"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Codiusprime posted:

And if this thread has taught me anything its that different price points don't matter because if you can't buy a 64gig lte iPad 3 your a poor and don't deserve to have electronics.

Finally you guys are talking sense ;)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Netbooks are the worst answer to a problem in the history of computing.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

fondue posted:

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a friend or family however I would also caution anyone to wait a bit on the purchase of any ASUS tablet as the launch of the Transformer was poorly done and obviously premature.

Do you people ever recognize your cognitive dissonance or do you generally need someone to point it out.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

fondue posted:

Maybe you don't know what cognitive dissonance is? It means that someone is holding two conflicting beliefs.

So I posted that I've used ASUS products for nearly a decade and only have read that the Transformer Prime I purchased has had a poor experience with some users. Do you invalidate all Apple products because some users had signal issues with the iPhone 4? No, other than that they've had a pretty good track record. The same with ASUS, they've had a good track record with their products but this recent incident with the Transformer seems to be the exception.

My mistake, I read that as recommending an Asus tablet but cautioning against buying an Asus tablet.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Take it to the Asus store

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Take it to the ASUS store.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

dissss posted:

The restarting thing is, but the ports getting wonky after a while is normal with anything if you're not careful especially the headphone port.

No, it's not.

I've replaced plenty of headphones because the jack is a great source of failure but going over the multitude of electronics that I use headphones with I can honestly say the headphone port has never been an issue, even on my lovely Captivate.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I hope you buy your mom that tablet and she disowns you.

I'm not saying you have to go the iPad route (you should) but don't bargain-bin shop for your mom dude.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jizzle Drizzle posted:

So I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 a few weeks ago, and I've found that if I don't use it for a few hours, it shuts off completely, requiring me to reboot it.

Is this standard behavior?

No, just no.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Radbot posted:

Priceless. I think I'm quoting that word for word in the near future.

Please do and report back to us about how you were laughed out of the party.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Absolutely. I now have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 that I'm playing around with. I like the seven inch screen. It fits nicely in the pocket of my jacket or pants. I have a mile and a half walk each day to the train that I take to work, and I wear a suit two or three days a week so having my tablet fit in my pocket so I don't have to carry a bag is nice. I'm returning that this weekend though. I'm going to wait for the Galaxy Note 10.1 next. Since, you know, it has a stylus.

I hope you get banned for life from every electronics retailer on the planet.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You can do better than that.

How about this:

Splizwarf, your ship has come in

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
All those rare earth metals, gone, like tears in the rain

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Correct.

People, it's completely possible to share your bad experiences with an Android tablet without being a troll.

Either learn to do so, or don't post.

Why does this freaking thread require my attention all the time when the Android phone thread doesn't? GOD!

I imagine Sex Parrot deals with it by drinking a lot

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

...! posted:

Either I'm really loving retarded or this Kindle desktop reader is the least intuitive program in the history of mankind. I can't even figure out how to add a book to it and there's nothing in the help file. :saddowns:

This just makes me want to ditch my Kindle quicker. It's becoming an awful loving lot of work for something that should be simple and straightforward. :argh:

Or you could just read the books and not sperg about the cover.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

hypersleep posted:

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question, as I don't keep up with Android stuff, but how long would it be before I could buy a Nexus 7 at a reduced price? iPads have really good resale value, I'm not sure if it's the same for Android tablets...?

I'm heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem, but I'd buy a Nexus 7 if I could get one cheaper than retail price, mostly to use as a Netflix and secondary web surfing device.

It's $200 dude, that's impulse buy money.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

I've never had these problems with the Royal Mail, but whenever I buy something that's shipping with City Link/DHL/Fedex/DPD or whatever, I have the exact same bullshit problems that you lot just described. Privatisation seems to encourage poor service, rather than the other way round.

So have any companies started making covers/accessories for the 7 yet? The cover wasn't in stock when I preordered my tablet and my wife keeps talking about how she wants to take it to the gym and stuff, so it'll definitely need some kind of armour. Maybe I should knit it a nice jumper.

I'm sure the bean counters at FedEx/UPS have figured out exactly how many deliveries need to be done per day and at what value point they can disregard needing a signature where the cost of replacing the item is cheaper than getting those deliveries done.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Hoppin Tin posted:

This is one of the most goony threads I've ever followed.

Aside from that. I have an Evo 4G rooted with ICS and have a Kindle Fire rooted with an ICS rom. I'm tempted to pick up a Nexus 7 because it offers the "real Android experience", but I'm really curious and hesitant, what IS the "real Android experience"? So far to me, it's been a clunky open source platform to just dick around with, read some books, play some emulators, and do some internetting before sleep.

I get that it's more powerful and has a camera and such but is there something I'm missing as to why this tablet is such a big deal for the "experience" or is it just because the weather widget will update 50ms faster than any previous tablet?

You actually have a better than 2% chance of getting an official update.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

General_Failure posted:

That's awful. I was expecting that it had a really high quality build. Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it meant to have that Gorilla Glass stuff? If so then how are people applying enough force to re-adhere / pop back the screen? either way that's a pretty serious issue.

You were expecting a high quality build from Asus of all companies?

Your Ainol Elf is probably made better.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Yes, and what's better is the serial number reported in the Settings screen is not the same as the serial number printed on the label.

I just don't even know where to start here.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

computers posted:

At what point do people stop buying from a company like Asus?

Right after they stop buying from Samsung

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

atehist posted:

Apparently the screen on my Nexus 7 cracked on its own today. I was using it this morning, left for work, and came back home to find the screen unresponsive with a crack running diagonally. I have only used it for a few hours watching a few movies and browsing the web. :waycool:

Good luck convincing Asus/Google that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

I'm curious what your reaction will be if he has a wonderful customer service experience.

I would be amazed even if Apple were to replace it without AppleCare