Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vagrancy posted:

Ah, forgot about that. Probably down to a 16:9 tablet owner to post a screenshot then. At the very least they went out of the way to disable to Stretch/Zoom toggle, so maybe they've tweaked their .xmls since to make the elements bigger.

I didn't say wasn't horrible, just marginally less horrible. :v:

Android Tablet Thread: The next one is just marginally less horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The dongle itself, though, is buggy and caused multiple restarts in an hour while some people were reviewing it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've never had a headphone jack fail on any device I've owned over the years, and I've had someone accidentally kick one in my laptop that snapped part of the plug inside. Once I got the broken plug out of the socket, everything is fine and dandy again. I suppose if it had been a cheap plastic laptop, then it probably would have done more damage, but the aluminum construction of my current machine pretty much precludes that.

Consumer electronics should not fail any more than 10% as an absolute ceiling. Full on recalls of entire products start in that area. If you have a string of electronic devices that continuously fail to the point that you expect them to be damaged or not work in short order you are either taking poo poo care of your things or are purchasing cheap/defective items that should be returned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

dissss posted:

If your headphone cable was slightly stronger then the jack would have been the thing to give - exactly this happened to my flatmates MacBook Pro which is probably about as well built as any other laptop.

Mine is also a MBP.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If your choice is between buying your mom something that is the same price as an iPad, just get the iPad. It has more apps, more functionality, and Apple has the absolute best customer service that you're going to come across. If she ever has a problem, either her or you can call apple and it will get rectified quickly.

Treat your moms well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ice Cream Sandwich is only confirmed for a device the moment the update is released. Google doesn't actually care if anyone gets the update.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rastor posted:

I don't think it's fair to say Google doesn't care, there's only so much they can dictate before more manufacturers will go the route of Amazon and drop the Google software from their devices.

They absolutely do not care.

Person who recently interviewed at Google posted:

I interviewed at google last weekend and one of my interviewers was a guy who works on market. During the "any questions" phase I started asking him about android fragmentation and what, if anything, google was going to do about it, and I brought up the 2% ice cream sandwich thing and everything.

His response was basically "it's definitely an issue but I work on market. Not my problem."

Now before anyone says "well he should only care about the area for which he works," the market developers should absolutely be some of the top guys concerned about fragmentation since it largely affects everything channeled through their product. This is just one example of many, albeit anecdotally, that belies a complete lack of desire for google to do anything about the fragmentation of their OS. If they really wanted, they could push the manufacturers. They have some leverage. The bottom line to google, though, isn't that anyone has the most up to date software or even a device that works well, but rather just millions of devices in hand that they can use to harvest data to further build their analytical information to sell to their true customer the advertisers. They don't make money by having everyone up to date on Ice Cream Sandwich. They won't care that everyone is running Gingerbread when Jelly Bean is out. They are able to sell and serve up adspace on any one of them and that's their bread and butter.

Will google ever change their mantra? I don't believe there will be any appreciable change to their current approach as long as their still able to monetize all the users of the various android versions out there. As long as the advertisers keep paying the bills, google will not give a gently caress about fragmentation. They have absolutely no reason to do so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

clockworx posted:

What else would they use for smartphones? Apple dictates (not like they can license iOS anyways), and I thought even Microsoft started as well.

(Unless you mean they'd just use Android without the "Google Experience", which I guess is a definite possibility given that every company seems to have an app market now)

Amazon most certainly is and has one of the most popular android tablets. They could give two shits about google play or anything of the sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SeaWolf posted:

My own experience was relatively painless. My TF201 broke about a month ago and i initiated a warranty repair. I posted about it here expecting it to be a nigtmare but I went and shipped it to the repair center and got it back a week and a half ago good as new. I was fairly surprised and I'm pretty happy. And here I am posting on it now!

Did you have to pay for shipping? Also over a week at a repair facility is pretty sub-par service. Most decent companies will only charge for overnighting, and the best companies overnight for free. Most all will send a new device if repair times are going to be long (more than a couple of days). You might be happy with the service you received, but your expectations are lower than that of the common consumer. ASUS service is abysmal.